Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know the increased mortality rate for the "elderly" in Italy is the result of triage decisions. I imagine the same decisions were made in China ? Which would make the virus equally serious for all adults but the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are deemed not viable compared to those under 50 ? (Not including the patients under 50 at higher risk due to diabetes and high blood pressure)

I very much doubt that China practiced triage decisions in treating the elderly. Having lived there for part of the year almost every year for the last 20 years (not not last year or this year), I just don't see it. There are laws in the PRC related to how you must take care of your parents, and you can be disinherited by the government if you do not take care of the elderly. This is a long tradition in China with Confucianism, etc. It has not changed yet. It is considered a treasure to have an elderly parent or grandparent living in your home.

I have visited the sick in hospitals in Beijing when I was there, and the elderly were treated very well, including terminally ill patients.

I know that cultures change over times, especially when they move to highly developed nations - as China has in its urban centers - but this kind of change will take a long, long time in China.

I have stayed off my FB for a few days because people were making me insane. I went back today but when someone posted that the media is "destroying our economy with their chicken little hysteria" I decided my break wasn't long enough.

@Simply Southern, what is the source of your information? Do you have a regional public health infrastructure that is reporting to the public? It might be helpful to try to access information from a reliable medical front runner. The media is somewhat helpful, but the real medical resources are better. You might find it calming to have good information about what you can do to prevent getting sick, what to do if you get sick, and how to take care of your loved ones. That way you can be empowered and you don't need to rely on the government quite so much.

I appreciate and respect your opinion.

I do have good information. Our governor Northam and the Virginia Department of Health recent press conference discussed the lack of testing kits and CEO of VA Hospital Association spoke and stressed the lack of and NEED for physicians, nurses and supplies and equipment. The VA VHD director explicitly said, we only test those with direct exposure and nursing home patients with the CDC provided test kits. If you need testing contact your physician and try to contact a private lab!!! All VA supplies will go to first responders,hospitals will need to secure their own.

I KNOW and helped prepare my community disaster plan. Now I realized it's just words on paper. We plan to use an old run down National Guard Armory to stage over flow from the hospital, with Red Cross cots. My hospital CURRENTLY has all N95 mask and hazmat suits under lock and key to prevent theft. My local Rescue Squad, as we don't have a paid one is almost totally out of n95 mask. I've worked 40 plus yrs on front line healthcare management . I KNOW what the projected death rates are, I know the lack of resources and supplies hospitals went through a stock loss program back in the late 90s.

Every physician, the CDC anyone speaking to the media is saying the same thing.....we need testing, mitigate transmission and lack of supplies.

Not sure what source you want me to look at, that can place a positive spin on this. But please, post I'm looking for some positive news.

IMOO...maybe I just need to be quite....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-1.5496367
LIVE NOW

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will warn Canadians against all international travel and is considering tightening the border to some international travellers.

During an interview with Radio-Canada's Montreal morning show on Friday,

Canada's Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam confirmed that Canada is now advising against all international travel to limit the spread of the virus. She warned that travellers could be subject to another country's travel or quarantine restrictions, and if they become sick, could be in a health care system that is inferior to Canada's system.

''During that news conference, ministers announced a series of new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:

• International flights will only be permitted to land at a smaller number of airports. Those locations have not yet been announced.
  • A ban on boats and cruise ships carrying more than 500 people from docking at Canadian ports until July.
  • A recommendation that all travellers arriving in Canada from international points self-isolate for 14 days.''

what does one do when a good friend is absolutely not stocking a damn thing because he 'lives in the now' 'one day at a time'...I do not have the resources to throw into providing for him...it is so very frustrating to see people you live just being in some sort of denial...
Frustrating right? Read him the fable “The Ant and the Grasshopper.”

Two of the three Transportation Security Administration agents at San Jose’s Norman Mineta International Airport who tested positive for the coronavirus performed pat downs on passengers, the agency revealed Thursday.

The two also handled travel documents, body scanners and carry-on luggage.

Coronavirus: Infected TSA employees at Mineta San Jose Airport patted down passengers, put hands on travel documents

:eek:

Um, so funny story.....

Anyone remember when yours truly got on an airport few weeks ago? After asking for WS’ers advice and donning my N95 mask and armed with homemade hand sanitizer?

I flew out of San Jose Airport. It was out of Terminal freaking B (confirmed terminal of these TSA agents). I had my luggage stopped and rifled through. (And guess why?? I forgot to remove my larger bottle of homemade hand sanitizer and then I watched them toss it in the trash! Oh the IRONY)

So these are good times, no?

I did do a backwards count on the calendar though and it was 3 weeks ago, not 2. So phwew.

(Good morning all)

I just started following twitter (had to redownload the app)
I just never bothered before
Still don’t like it much lol but it can be useful here
Moo

I'm more optimistic today than I've been in awhile with efforts from the private sector. Americans do not give up. We will survive this. People are listening to the experts like Scott Gottlieb. Go follow the doctors on twitter and turn off the tv....IMO

The peak will happen in 2 mths. Still a long road ahead....

IMO, it may be longer for the US, we are several weeks behind where we should be by now, and the testing is still severely lacking. We’ve started to move in the right direction over the course of the past few days, but most of these preventative measures should have been put in place much earlier. Also, keep in mind that all of these cancellations, closures, and social gathering limits, are really smart moves, the quarantine “lockdowns” are still very lax compared to those of China. I’m guessing it’ll be closer to three months minimum.

These are the correct measures to “flatten the curve”, but I’m afraid the initial curve is going to be much larger than it should have been.

There will be a price to be paid for the failure of adequate testing which, IMO, has delayed a timely and appropriate response level.

Where the heck is everybody? It’s going ghost town over here feels like...

I wonder if people are at the store...

And at the drive through testing lab :eek:

(Being sort of facetious on that last one, not really)

I feel the pot on the lid about to blow around here and I’m not talking about the legal green kind.
Yoga at home for me. (I need to cutback on caffeine first.) And, it’s 70 degrees and sunny here today. I’m here though. Off and on.
What pot?

Trudeau speaks to Canadians on spread of COVID-19 | Special coverage
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is speaking to Canadians about the spread of COVID-19. Earlier today he warned Canadians against international travel and is considering tightening the border to some international travellers

what does one do when a good friend is absolutely not stocking a damn thing because he 'lives in the now' 'one day at a time'...I do not have the resources to throw into providing for him...it is so very frustrating to see people you live just being in some sort of denial...
I faced this with one of my friends last week really Frustrating! I bought an extra bottle of 91% alcohol for her six rolls of toilet paper and a bag of dog food for her dogs. But, I did not tell her I’m keeping it at my house for now because I think she will laugh at me if I try to give it to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637