Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RANCH the only way someone's unemployment insurance benefits would be held up that long is if the employer didn't agree that the separation was eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. It would go past adjudication, to potentially an administrative law judge. Or some other administrative reasons.

That can take 14 to 16 weeks. File each week. Once it gets straightened out, the claimant will get back dated benefits.

I was reading an article about WHY the Spanish Flu was so named. Spain was neutral during WW1. It basically came down to censorship. Spain had no government restrictions on what it reported or how.

Countries that had been crippled by the war, like England, France and Germany, downplayed the virus to keep morale up. That's why the estimates of deaths vary so widely and why most experts believe over 100 million to 400 million people died from the flu.

I used to live in a little village just north of Toronto. I'd walk my dog through the cemetery and look at all these old headstones. You would see how families had been decimated from the Spanish flu in 1918. Father dead July 1, 1st child dead July 15, second child dead two days later and so on. It wasn't an anomaly. I just can't imagine what it must have been like. I grew up in England and even ten years after the war there were rations. Beautiful buildings like churches, castles and private homes, some to this day, are without their ornate iron fences taken away and melted to meet the war effort. We have no idea what our parents and grandparents endured. I hope we have the backbone do it, too.

My parents lived in Europe during WW2 and they were very practical. I find myself understanding their reasons for being practical. I don't waste anymore, I set things aside for special occasions - that piece of chocolate that might be harder to get one day. It's a good societal reset - too bad it will cost so many lives.

How volunteers from tech companies like Amazon, Apple and Google built a coronavirus-tracking site in six days
In the last week, a group of thirty volunteers from tech companies like Apple, Amazon and Alphabet put together a website called “covidnearyou” that aims to track the coronavirus as it spreads.

[...]

Once they jumped on a call, Brownstein informed him about a website that was already underway to monitor influenza, called “flunearyou.” The pair decided to co-opt the underlying technology for better COVID-19 monitoring, given the current gap in testing. That led to the idea of developing “covidnearyou.”

[...]

After a week of work, the team, which includes designers, engineers and marketers, are now ready to go live with covidnearyou.org. The site is recruiting people from across the U.S. to share whether they’re experiencing symptoms or not, as well as some demographic information.

If they can get enough people to use the site -- and the goal is to reach 100,000 users -- they hope to fill in some of the gaps in reporting due to the lack of testing.

[...]

<modsnip: snipped to comply with 10% copyright; full article at link above>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least criminals will be having a good time.
Things are so uncertain, we all must be extra cautious. A person has a serious auto accident in my front yard a couple weeks ago. I’d like to clean up, the area is full of auto parts and large chunks of my driveway. But with so many people off work, driving around, I’m afraid to be visible from cars passing by. Afraid some addict might see me & decide to “visit later” thinking I’m single or my husband would be cleaning up.

South Carolina doctor develops device to fight ventilator shortage due to COVID-19

From there, Dr. Marjorie Jenkins, Prisma Health Upstate’s Chief Academic Officer, said the device was submitted to the FDA this past Friday night for emergency approval, granted only when no comparable or satisfactory alternative options are available in a public health crisis. As a result, the approval will only be in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/coronavirus/article241509626.html
Sounds like a fantastic idea.

It's things like this that will bring this crisis under control. JMO

Easter is a very special event in my life due to my faith. As I thought about the significance of President Trump stating he hoped we would be able to reopen for business by Easter, he was also saying that it would be symbolic for our country to be reborn on Easter. His message wasn't lost on me, and gave me hope. I slept well last night.

Trump says there's 'light at the end of the tunnel' as White House pitches $6T coronavirus stimulus package

MOO
I agree with you and I think that's how he feels as well. It's like the phoenix, arising from the ashes.

And Dr Fauci has just released a statement saying that Trump is flexible about this date, and knows it will possibly be postponed. Trump is aspirational...And Fauci is fine with that.

But it still gives us a target date, for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Just like the world wars, where the 'end' was near many times and the nation hoped to bring their brave men and women home....and the timing was pushed back further and further, but we all stayed unified and hopeful.

I am glad he made that statement about Easter because it is a wonderful image and symbol of restoration and rebirth. Our nation needs that right now.

I can see that it triggers some and makes them angry. But there are millions that are comforted and inspired by it. And not because they are being 'deceived' ----they know it is aspirational.

image-easter-2011.jpg

My parents lived in Europe during WW2 and they were very practical. I find myself understanding their reasons for being practical. I don't waste anymore, I set things aside for special occasions - that piece of chocolate that might be harder to get one day. It's a good societal reset - too bad it will cost so many lives.
For real. I save and eat leftovers for much longer time periods than I used to. Adapt adapt

Last edited:
And well they should be left out. Anyone on social security who is still getting their checks isn't losing anying. I'm in that category and my financial life has NOT been affected in any way and neither has theirs if your post tells all the facts. Why should anyone in that position get money when they are losing nothing like so many others? MOO
I personally don't think it's that cut and dry. My husband (we were separated) was recently murdered, and I, along with my son receive social security. However, I also take care of my mother whom is 90. We are self-Isolating to protect her, and I have taken on her bills too. My partner has lost his income due to the corona virus, and we are struggling. So, I believe that every situation is different.

I'm gonna be surrounded by criminals. Is this happening in every state or just Ohio?

Coronavirus: Clark County Jail releasing ‘some’ non-violent inmates

Burchett said she didn’t have an immediate count on how many inmates have been released, but the jail’s current population is between 113 to 117 inmates. The jail usually averages an inmate population of about 200 inmates.

The Tri-County Regional Jail in Mechanicsburg has also been working with courts to release some non-violent inmates, jail executive director Scott Springhetti said.

“We have been working with the courts and doing what they feel is the best,” Springhetti said. “We aren’t just kicking people out without an order. We’ve been closing following the court’s advice.”

Springhetti said on March 1 the jail had a population of 159 inmates — on Wednesday morning the jail had just 95 inmates.

ETA These are 2 different jails in 2 different counties. One is my county and the other is the next county over. I understand the reason behind it but I'm not happy about it.

I personally don't think it's that cut and dry. My husband (we were separated) was recently murdered, and I, along with my son receive social security. However, I also take care of my mother whom is 90. We are self-Isolating to protect her, and I have taken on her bills too. My partner has lost his income due to the corona virus, and we are struggling. So, I believe that every situation is different.
Oh no, did your mom lose her SS? I hope your partner’s UI goes thru ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member