Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday (somewhere) I was reading about COVID and home humidity. Forgive me if someone already posted that information here. Low humidity allows the virus to live longer, and an in-door humidity of 40-50% is recommended. But then you have to be careful with humidifiers as they can get dirty easily. And too much humidity promotes mold. The article I read suggested the age-old method of putting a big kettle of water on a low burner to increase humidity in the air. We used to do this in Alaska where it's so dry in the winter in some areas. I use my greenhouse thermometer to measure the humidity in my cabin.
Don't forget to turn off your kettle of water or it could lead to fires.

IRAN

As of today, Iran has 38,309 confirmed cases and 2640 deaths—the highest totals in the Middle East. The latest model from scientists at the University of New South Wales predicts that by late June, Iran could see 48 million cases—more than half of its population—without major efforts to curb infections. Another simulation forecasts that, without dramatic interventions, Iran’s death toll could eventually eclipse 100,000.

Iran confronts coronavirus amid a ‘battle between science and conspiracy theories’

Coronavirus: Ten more deaths and 200 new cases in Ireland confirmed

(Ireland)

A FURTHER 200 cases of the Covid-19 virus have been confirmed in Ireland and another ten people have died today, health officials have confirmed.

The total number of coronavirus cases in Ireland now stands at 2,615 . There have been 46 deaths in Ireland from this virus.

Eight of the patients who died today were male and two were female. Six of the deaths today were in the east of the country, three were in the northwest and one was in the south.

The median age of today’s deaths is 77. Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan expressed his condolences to the family and friends of all patients who have died as a result of Covid-19.

“While we continue to build our capacity for intensive care, our strategy remains to prevent people from needing intensive care in the first place,” he said.

Yes. Apparently many got cheap air and boarding passes. They knew, or, should have known the risks. However, we can't just let them possibly die because they were stupid.
That is not human nature. At least I hope it's not.

They boarded that cruise ship on March 7th. The entire world knew it was not the best idea but they went on it anyway.

but it worked pretty well for returning AMericans from China, and other cruise boats. I think that the "no news" about all those who returned from China...was good news. Military command and control logistics training is perhaps the best thing we have going for us.
I know, but every time I hear that solution I feel like there is a certain sacrificial undercurrent there. JMO, no offense. Especially when it's rescuing people from cruise ships that didn't depart from the USA and none of the stops on the tour were in the USA, and that it's a Netherlands flagged vessel. But I guess there is no other solution.

Coyotes in my neighborhood and neighbors' yards too, though I know they've always been here, along with foxes and owls, raccoons and deer, skunks and opossums. they seem to be getting bolder.. One neighbor posted on our town FB page a video of one casually strolling up her driveway.

Keep your pets inside or with you outside...especially cats and little dogs. Coyotes are known to prey on them.

Coyotes, pets and community cats

GEORGIA....,too late too little

ATLANTA — Gov. Brian Kemp said on Sunday that President Trump has declared a major disaster for all 159 counties in the state of Georgia as a result of the impacts from the coronavirus pandemic.

"Georgia is grateful for this designation, as it will enable the state to continue partnering with federal agencies in a coordinated fight against this pandemic,” Kemp said in a statement on Sunday. “The presidential declaration is a critical step in providing additional assistance to our state and local governments as they continue to respond to COVID-19.”

The declaration for federal emergency aid currently covers act taken to eliminate or lessen immediate threats to life, public health or safety.

This also allows federal agencies -- including FEMA -- to provide direct assistance to the state of Georgia.

Kemp announces federal approval of major disaster declaration for Georgia

UK

A 108-year-old woman who survived the 1918 Spanish flu is thought to have become the oldest victim of coronavirus in the UK.

Hilda Churchill died in a Salford care home on Saturday, hours after testing positive for Covid-19 and just eight days before her 109th birthday.

She is the oldest victim of the virus to be named in the UK. She was born in 1911, the year before the Titanic sank and three years before the start of the first world war. It was also seven years before the Spanish flu pandemic, which infected 500 million worldwide, and killed her sister.

She and most of her family in their home in Crewe became infected with the Spanish flu, including her father, who collapsed in the street, she recalled. They all survived apart from her 12-month-old baby sister, Beryl May. “She remembered standing at her bedroom window and seeing this little coffin carrying her baby sister being put into a carriage and being taken away,” her grandson said.

He said: “She remembers everyone getting it and her mother trying to look after them and her father collapsing in a street and having to be carried home. She was saying how amazing it is that something you can’t see can be so devastating.

“It was never something she talked about being frightened of, though, and she was scared of this new virus. She survived so much and this was just another thing. She was a person who just got on with things – never asked for sympathy or said she was hard done by.”He said his grandmother, a seamstress who moved to Salford during the Great Depression to find work, had generally been in good health until recently and moved into the care home 10 months ago. “She had a fall and her legs just packed up. She never understood how she got so old. I think it was the hard work that kept her going. That and good genes. She had been with me all of my life - she was just the best and we are totally heartbroken.”

Spanish flu survivor, 108, among latest victims of coronavirus | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

Old jingle:
If they could see me now
That old gang of mine
Eating fancy chow
And drinking fancy wine
If all my friends could see me now

Rewritten by @Trudie
If they could see me now
That old gang of mine
Hunkered down
All alone
If all my friends could see me now
We ain't much, but you got us, Trudie......We care.....Catch a hug ...... O...... The darn smile emoji is not working for me right now. Darn WS glitches.......moo

I just took a steam shower after my four hours of cleaning. Both of them felt good.
I wonder if Steam showers are any help in fighting this virus. I know the water did not get up to 142 degrees but my face is bright red.

Still no make-up but I did put on some of my Ivanka Trump perfume. I may not look good but I do smell good.
......what? You are not using Lysol parfum?

Coronavirus updates in Louisiana: 3,540 COVID-19 cases in state; 151 deaths reported

Louisiana surpassed the 3,000 mark for coronavirus cases this weekend. Of those cases, more than 100 residents have died of COVID-19.

According to the latest numbers, there are now 3,540 coronavirus cases in the state.

Currently, 151 Louisianians have died of COVID-19. Most of the deaths have been reported in New Orleans, where 73 residents have died of the disease.

New Orleans has more than 1,300 coronavirus cases as of the latest update Sunday. It continues to lead the state for the number of cases, becoming a hot spot for the virus.

More than 1,000 COVID-19 patients remain in hospitals and more than 300 of them are on ventilators, officials said Sunday.

Health officials said more than 2,900 coronavirus tests have been completed by the state lab while more than 24,000 commercial tests have been completed and reported to the state.

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

"Florida is at risk of becoming major epicenter of epidemic spread of #COVID19 in the coming weeks. Miami appears to be a major hot spot. The outbreaks were apparent there weeks ago. And the state was slow to implement mitigation steps, and probably exported a lot of its infection.

States that don't yet have evidence of epidemic spread should heed this experience.
Without widespread sentinel surveillance screening we're never sure where there may be transmission until case counts build to high levels. It's prudent to use this time to get ahead of outbreaks.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Yesterday (somewhere) I was reading about COVID and home humidity. Forgive me if someone already posted that information here. Low humidity allows the virus to live longer, and an in-door humidity of 40-50% is recommended. But then you have to be careful with humidifiers as they can get dirty easily. And too much humidity promotes mold. The article I read suggested the age-old method of putting a big kettle of water on a low burner to increase humidity in the air. We used to do this in Alaska where it's so dry in the winter in some areas. I use my greenhouse thermometer to measure the humidity in my cabin.
It was here! I linked an article about using humidifiers.
When I was sick in January with a “viral infection” & thought I was near death, my doc’ told me to start using humidifiers. Immediate relief. I bought a cool air one for my 4 legged daughter, also. They are about as much fun to clean as having a root canal.
I’ve read Covid patients that heal at home are advised to use one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member