Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
The White House banned most air travel from China back in late January to stop the coronavirus from entering this country. But it turns out the strain of the virus that hit New York did not come directly from China, but Europe. And it began to circulate in mid-February, weeks before the first reported case. From The New York Times:

The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The Times adds that the virus might have been detected months ago had sufficient testing programs been in place.

Coronavirus That Plagues New York Came From Europe - News & Guts Media
To me it would make sense that the NY cases came from Europe and the East coast cases from China but this is just my opinion.

However looking at the WHO early statistical reports that I have linked the first 3 cases in the US had visited Wuhan.

This is a report I just found that traces the first European cases back to China and Singapore anyway.

Eurosurveillance | First cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the WHO European Region, 24 January to 21 February 2020

Last edited:
Veterinary scientists have recommended cat owners keep their pets indoors to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus among animals.

But the British Veterinary Association stressed "owners should not worry" about risk of infection from pets.

"There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with Covid-19," Dr Angel Almendros, from City University in Hong Kong, told BBC News.

Research has shown cats may be able to catch the virus from other cats.

Dr Almendros added that it would be sensible to keep cats indoors - where it is safe and possible to do so - during the outbreak.

Coronavirus: 'Pets no risk to owners' vets stress

Here's another cat article which includes Larry, the Downing Street cat and Nadia, the tiger in the Bronx zoo.

Cat lovers crash national vets' website after coronavirus fears

And here's a link to the BVA website

BVA statement on cats and Covid-19

Last edited:
Deals to die for: Coronavirus-stricken Ruby Princess slashes its prices to a slew of exotic locations after more than 600 passengers contracted deadly infection on ill-fated cruise

Ruby Princess slashes its prices after 600 passengers contracted coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Let me find my Visa card - NOT! Anyone booking a cruise after this tragic crisis is absolutely crazy.
I think that headline "Deals to die for" is incredibly disrespectful to those who have lost (and will still lose) their lives in this crisis. Media makes me sick most of the time.

Deals to die for: Coronavirus-stricken Ruby Princess slashes its prices to a slew of exotic locations after more than 600 passengers contracted deadly infection on ill-fated cruise

Ruby Princess slashes its prices after 600 passengers contracted coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Let me find my Visa card - NOT! Anyone booking a cruise after this tragic crisis is absolutely crazy.
I think that headline "Deals to die for" is incredibly disrespectful to those who have lost (and will still lose) their lives in this crisis. Media makes me sick most of the time. I guess those who have had it may sign up but never for me, either.

Last edited:
Alrighty then - I can go to my doc who has been exposed, and presymptomatic but covering his/her face. Um, no thanks. What a hot mess.

Here is a list of who is considered essential critical infrastructure workers.

There are 16 critical infrastructure sectors whose assets, systems, and networks, whether physical or virtual, are considered so vital to the United States that their incapacitation or destruction would have a debilitating effect on security, national economic security, national public health or safety, or any combination thereof. Presidential Policy Directive 21 (PPD-21): PPD-21 identifies 16 critical infrastructure sectors.

Chemical Sector
Commercial Facilities Sector
Communications Sector
Critical Manufacturing Sector
Dams Sector
Defense Industrial Base Sector
Emergency Services Sector
Energy Sector
Financial Services Sector
Food and Agriculture Sector
Government Facilities Sector
Healthcare and Public Health Sector
Information Technology Sector
Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste Sector
Transportation Systems Sector
Water and Wastewater Systems Sector

Identifying Critical Infrastructure During COVID-19 | CISA
This includes schools. Are they really recommending schools go back in session? This is nuts.

Warning graphic - positive dog news from China

China
has excluded dogs from farm animals in a drafted directive, which could see canine meat being barred from the dinner plate across the country.

The Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said it recognises dogs as 'companion animals' and 'not suitable' to be managed as livestock in the document released yesterday.

This means the proposal can potentially prevent around 10 million dogs being killed for their meat every year in the country.
Wow!!! That is huge :)

Back in the day, when a milkman came to your house delivering butter and milk, our milk almost always froze. You'd go out to bring in the milk and there was a column of cream sticking out of the bottle neck where it had pushed the cap off. That won't happen these days, not enough cream.

You do have to shake the milk before using and it is better to defrost it in the frig. Sometimes it may take a day or two. I do it all the time, much less waste and I never run out.
I remember that happening with the silver bottle top pushed up on top. Ice cream lollies when we were kids. :)

I really have been thinking about this from the beginning. All of our bodies are different and respond to pathogens and invaders in a myriad of ways. For instance, I do not think I have had a fever my entire adult life and am in my mid-40's. I wonder if I would have one if I had COVID-19. It makes it extremely hard if folks are asymptomatic or have very unusual symptoms, although the fever does seem a cardinal symptom.

This includes schools. Are they really recommending schools go back in session? This is nuts.

Where is schools mentioned in the post you are quoting? Did you reply to the correct one as I don't see anything on schools or recommendations to go back?

Hmmm.

Here is the full guidance from CDC:

“To ensure continuity of operations of essential functions, CDC advises that critical infrastructure workers may be permitted to continue work following potential exposure to COVID-19, provided they remain asymptomatic and additional precautions are implemented to protect them and the community.

A potential exposure means being a household contact or having close contact within 6 feet of an individual with confirmed or suspected COVID-19. The timeframe for having contact with an individual includes the period of time of 48 hours before the individual became symptomatic.

Critical Infrastructure workers who have had an exposure but remain asymptomatic should adhere to the following practices prior to and during their work shift:
-more at link
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

My first thought is I’m recalling what Dr. Maria said a couple times about being clear about “asymptomatic” vs. “pre-symptomatic”. She discussed the percentage of those who do go on to experience symptoms. I have the numbers she mentioned in my mind but don’t want to quote as moo without full reference in context and link & quote.

So, I’m confused. 48 hours from time of exposure, not 14 days? Am I understanding this correctly? :eek:

CDC issues new guidance to make it easier for essential workers exposed to coronavirus to return to work

“In a first, small step toward reopening the country, the Trump administration issued new guidelines Wednesday to make it easier for essential workers who have been exposed to COVID-19 to get back to work if they do not have symptoms of the coronavirus.

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, announced at the White House that essential employees, such as health care and food supply workers, who have been within 6 feet of a confirmed or suspected case of the virus can return to work under certain circumstances if they are not experiencing symptoms.”

[...]

“Under the new guidelines for essential workers, the CDC recommends that exposed employees take their temperatures before their shifts, wear face masks and practice social distancing at work. They also are advised to stay home if they are ill, not share headsets or other objects used near the face and refrain from congregating in crowded break rooms.

Employers are asked to take exposed workers’ temperatures and assess symptoms before allowing them to return to work, aggressively clean work surfaces, send workers home if they get sick and increase air exchange in workplaces.”

—-

Yale Professor: Changes to CDC Guidelines for Workers Should Wait

“”For the most part, if you’ve had the virus you’re not getting it again. So, someone who’s been infected is one of your safest employees,” said Dr. Howard Forman, director of the Healthcare Management program at Yale University.

But for those employees who were exposed but have no symptoms, Forman says there needs to be a number of systems in place before those guideline changes. He says there should be plans to prevent the possible spread or on-site sickness by an asymptomatic employee.”

[...]

He says without access to rapid tests, it could be dangerous to the progress we’re making under current CDC guidance.

“Right now the most important thing is to see capacity in our hospitals go all the way back down to normal before we do relaxing of social distancing measures at all.””

[...]

“It is so important to get our economy back going but we do not want to do it at the expense of human lives.”

——

I want to make sure I’m totally clear about all this and up to date on the everything before commenting on this.
I am not following this either. Below is a link to our UK gov documents and the fourth one down is a useful illustration that is telling us what to do.

COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member