Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each of these drugs (hydroxychlorquine and Z-pac) could be bad for the heart. There is very little evidence that they do much (or any) good for covid. I am glad they are doing proper studies in US with control groups. Otherwise the drugs are being prescribed to people with very little evidence that they do any good for covid, and potential to cause serious harm. As of now, I fully believe it's far from being a magic bullet.

"The leaders of three professional societies in cardiology warned on April 8 in the journal Circulation that hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin can each cause dangerous disruptions in heart rhythm, and they wrote, “There are very limited data evaluating the safety of combination therapy.”"
7 Answers to Questions About the Malaria Drug Trump Keeps Pushing

The fact is they don't know yet if Hydroxychloroquine and a combo mix can help in CV-19. Hence, the studies now being conducted.

I will say this after being on the drug for years. I started taking it for RA in the 90's and then again started back on it several years ago. I do not remember any doctor being concerned about my heart or heart rhythms, nor did any doctor warn me of that. The main concern was for eye sight. I have had absolutely no side effects, and it has helped me so much. Now, perhaps, doctors could tell from looking at my chart that I have low blood pressure, or a strong heart, but I never heard any concerns regarding heart. I'd like to see data showing how many people have taken the drug and had no problems, tons of people take it, compared to the few that did have problems. I would think a doctor would know which patient should avoid that drug.

Please know, I'm not sticking up for anyone politically, but maybe some of this criticism about even trying the drug for CV-19 is political.

I just love how fast every single thing is changing in the United States. Things that would have been absolutely unprecedented, is now, "Sure, they sent official government documents thru email" just approve it.

Stuff I am approving now at work, would have got me fired a month ago.

It was, "No one wear a mask". Now, "mask wearing is mandatory". It is actually just hilarious. Sorry, my sense of humor is just sort of odd lately.

I just love how fast every single thing is changing in the United States. Things that would have been absolutely unprecedented, is now, "Sure, they sent official government documents thru email" just approve it.

Stuff I am approving now at work, would have got me fired a month ago.

It was, "No one wear a mask". Now, "mask wearing is mandatory". It is actually just hilarious. Sorry, my sense of humor is just sort of odd lately.
The mask wearing should have been advised from the start, and maybe we wouldn't have ended in this predicament. Instead authorities were claiming masks are useless and don't you dare to wear them. I knew we were getting horrible advise there.

We have a lot of feral cats in our area and many years ago we successfully "adopted" one of them when he kept visiting our yard. It was a lot of work to domesticate him but over time he turned out to be the best pet cat we ever had. There were challenges and he always kept his wild side to him like instead of bringing us birds to give us as "gifts", we would get large squirrels. LOL

He was amazing though and such an amazing cat. We let him sleep in the garage each night and he loved having a home base. He had to roam though as he did not like being too confined. He protected our yard from other feral cats and slowly but surely allowed us to pet and hold him.

We live rural out in the country and one day he didnt return and we think a coyote must have gotten him as we have large packs of coyotes in the area.

We miss him to this day. He was a joy in our lives.

Heh, my folks had a "barn kitten" who was a little psycho (once, for example, when I was in the basement playing darts and talking to him (in a manner that I thought was pleasant) while he perched upon a stool, he casually reached out and raked me in the back); he could hunt like nobody's business. My mother was always cringing gingerly, daubing at half-mice and sparrows left upon the porch feebly with a shovel, broom, or dustpan, "Oh, good kitty!" The neighbors loved him, as they never again woke up to find a misdirected mole drowned in their pool... I suspect they might even have fed him, lol. He did like to wander around the neighborhood; and he could shinny up poles on our back deck like nobody's business. I, terrible at rope-climbing with no upper body strength, quite envied him.

I think with mask use, there will be people that will protect themselves from contracting COVID, but just as importantly, there will be people that use them that increase their chances of contracting it. All down to the fabric used (i.e. porosity, moisture, trapping higher density of virus), behaviour whilst wearing them (i.e. continually adjusting will increase risk, as will behaviour based on perceived protection such as less awareness for social distancing, often without realising) how they are removed, and how often they are washed/disposed. I don't think the risks/benefits of mask use are equal for all.

Last edited:
Oklahoma mandate: WOW!

Adults over age 65 and people with underlying medical conditions are required to stay home until April 30, with the exception of "essential" errands.

Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Stitt announces 'safer-at-home' policy
Thank you for posting this. From your article:
Those Oklahomans will still be allowed to run "essential" errands like visiting the pharmacy or grocery store.

I’m not sure if anything could be more essential. I know if someone followed quarantine from the beginning - there might be zero chance of catching the virus and dying. Without food there is 100% chance of starving to death.

Here's an article that explains quite a bit about what's happening in the industry, in Idaho anyway. It answers some of the questions posters are asking.
There is more in the article.

“Cows get milked every day,” DeVries said. “We can’t just stop milking cows.”

Just 3% of the milk produced at Idaho dairies actually makes its way to milk cartons. The vast majority of Idaho milk is used to make cheese, according to Idaho State Department of Agriculture estimates, as well as other dairy products like whey powder, butter, ice cream, sour cream, yogurt and more.

Most of those Idaho products are purchased in bulk by the food service industry or are shipped overseas. Although people are now buying more food to cook at home than usual, they aren’t purchasing products like butter, cheese or creams at the same rate as thousands of Idaho restaurants operating at full capacity.

“We’re not seeing that demand transfer, one-to-one, to what people are buying in the grocery store,” Naerebout said. “What they deliver to the (food service sector) is not the same packaging, size or anything like what you see in the grocery store. It’s not an easy transition to then be able to take what they’re producing and put it in consumer packaging. They’re just not set up to do it.”

Social media posts of Idaho dairies dumping milk have led to some Idahoans asking if they can purchase the milk instead. Unfortunately, most Idaho dairies aren’t in the position of selling or donating their own milk. You need a license from the USDA to sell raw, unpasteurized milk.

“It would be an option, but most dairies aren’t set up to do that,” Naerebout said. “And most dairies are going to shy away from the risk associated with selling milk directly, because you then take on the liability of making someone sick if the milk is unpasteurized.”

Theoretically, Naerebout said, dairy product manufacturers could retrofit plants to make more products for individual consumers. But the cost to do so would be substantial — as well as the cost to transition back after the pandemic ends, markets stabilize and restaurants reopen.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article241869881.html

Some farmers in UK have machines and sell raw milk straight to customers. It's very popular. Or they could make it into cheese or ice cream. Also, don't the dairies have contracts and have to buy the milk?

After being off a two week quarantine, I made a grocery run gloved and masked up. I was shocked that there was plenty of toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

Still no alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, hand sanitizer etc.

I got everything I needed in regards to groceries, eggs, milk, butter, meat, etc.

Hopefully this is a sign of moving forward. Stay safe everyone and Happy Easter! :)

Some of our grocery stores are limiting the amount of milk folks can buy. It doesn't matter if you have 5 teenagers and a baby in your house, you still get just 2, 4-litre bags of milk.

That’s insane, we have no restrictions on milk where I am. A big local dairy farm asked customers to report if any local stores were limiting milk because the farm could make as many trips as necessary to stock shelves. The hiccup has to be in the transport or store re-stocking procedure.

Vermont is begging people to buy as much milk as they can.

Dairy Industry Struggles in Coronavirus Crisis: 'We Will Lose Farms'

https://www.farmanddairy.com/news/w...fZA9FdKDiFXZKnCd14VI6hm5Ot7SsGz7ZE2S6ePqai3G4

EA87D636-3F17-4AAF-B5E1-481A15193F00.jpeg

U.K Government Warning - They are getting tough so Stay Home and Save Lives

U.K Government Coronavirus Rules and punishment for breaking them

Guidance

When am I allowed to leave the house?

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:
  • shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do

What will happen to me if I break the rules?

We appreciate all the effort people are putting into containing the spread of coronavirus which will help protect our NHS and save lives.

However, if you leave your home or gather in public for any reason other than those specified, the police may:
  • instruct you to go home, leave an area or disperse
  • instruct you to take steps to stop your children breaking these rules if they have already done so
  • take you home – or arrest you – if you do not follow their instructions or where they deem it necessary
  • issue a fine (fixed penalty notice) of £60, which will be lowered to £30 if paid within 14 days.
  • issue a fine (fixed penalty notice) of £120 for second time offenders, doubling on each further repeat offence
Individuals who do not pay their fine could be taken to court, with magistrates able to impose unlimited fines.

Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do

I've also read 20% can have intestinal problems with nausea, and throwing up along with diarrhea.

I hadn't been in the hospital since 1987 when I had a hysterectomy.

I dont even have colds or the flu even though my hubby does, and when I'm his caregiver I still didnt catch the flu or colds. I dont get viruses either.

However in February 29, 2020 I woke up at 2am feeling very nauseated. Then began the worst experience I've ever had. I didn't have diarrhea, but the throwing up continued all that Saturday only getting worse. My hubby was begging me to go to the hospital, but I told him I had probably just picked up a virus, and it would go away. It didn't. At 3:00am Sunday morning he gave me no choice. They immediately admitted me. I couldnt eat, or drink anything. I guess I had thrown up so much it made the top part of my stomach raw, and inflamed. It literally felt like someone was ripping me open in the area in the middle right below my breasts. That pain continued for 6 days so I had nothing to drink or eat simply because it was too painful when it hit that specific area.

I have a high toleration pain level. I know this having to live with constant spinal pain.

But at one point I told my hubby I just wanted to die because I couldnt tolerate the pain anymore. To say the least that caused many tears to be shed by him, and our children too, but at the time, I meant it.

They gave me all sorts of meds in my IV ports. I had three ports at one time being used. One was potassium because it was critically low when admitted from all of the vomiting. I continued to have it thru that Friday until the doctor changed it to powdered potassium mixed with apple juice which I was finally able to swallow although still extremely painful.

On that Thursday I received three more flower arrangements. Then all of a sudden I began to sneeze, cough uncontrollably, gag, and it was hard to breathe. I don't have allergies, but to be safe my hubby took all flowersout of my room, and brought them home. It wasnt the flowers for it continued, and even when I came home it continued for over 2 weeks.

Then on Friday the night nurse insisted I take more liquid potassium even though I told her it had been changed to powder. It burned when taking it thru the IV.
I told her three times i wanted it by mouth. She ignored me so the port blewout. So I wound up with my hand swelling 10 times it's normal size. I thought my skin was literally going to explode before she came to take the port out. It was hurting so badly I thought I was going to pass out. Even now over a month later it's still swollen, and a knot is still on the top of my hand.

I had many tests ran during my stay. One was an endoscopy which I wound up going into Afib once the given propofol, and lidocaine. I was then rushed to the cardiologist floor resulting in several heart tests being run after then. All of those came out great.

I had never had any heart problems before in my entire life. In fact all of my vitals were perfect. The nurses even commented on how my vitals would usually be seen in someone who is in their 20s. Other tests I was to have done were also aborted three times due to the ineptness of the hospital staff.

Finally I had had enough of the unnecessary emotional, and physical trauma, and my family members were also beyond being enraged.

So we all demanded I be released so I could get out of that hell hole, and go home.

I still dont know what in the heck happened to me though on February 29th, but I never ever want to go thru it again.

This is the same hospital that virus patients must go to for care. Our area is the hotspot for my state. I'm saddened anyone has to depend on this hospital, nurses, and doctors. While there are still good nurses, and doctors there, many are not.

This is why it has a notoriously bad reputation way before this deadly virus struck our area.

God help all who wind up there for care.

Jmho
I sure hope you are feeling better. What a terrible thing to go through. I’ve had a similar experience. We put our trust in nurses and doctors and they ruin it by not caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg