Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia opens ventilator investigation after hospital fire kills coronavirus patients

Russia opens ventilator investigation after hospital fire kills coronavirus patients

5 hrs ago
Russian authorities are investigating the safety of ventilators, some of which have been sent to the US, after a fire broke out in a St Petersburg hospital, leaving at least five people dead.

The blaze erupted at St George's City Hospital after a ventilator in the intensive care ward treating patients with COVID-19 burst into flames on Tuesday morning, a source told the TASS news agency.

A similar fire — caused by the same model of ventilator, according to a law enforcement source speaking to TASS — killed one person in a hospital in Moscow on Saturday.
Oxygen is very inflammable so it would not take much to ignite it. Sounds like one fire was faulty wiring.

Many of the symptoms of this recently described syndrome resemble those of a rare childhood illness called Kawasaki disease.

Kawasaki disease itself is a clinical diagnosis; there is no single lab test that can detect it, and the cause is not known.

Rethinking Covid-19 in Children

I was just coming to post about this. In a place I can't quote a lady said Kawasaki tends to flare right about now. Her daughter had it.

KD occurs worldwide, with the highest incidence in Japan, and it most often affects boys and younger children. KD may have a winter-spring seasonality, and community-wide outbreaks have been reported occasionally. In the continental United States, population-based and hospitalization studies estimate an incidence of KD ranging from 9 to 19 per 100,000 children under 5 years of age. In the year 2000, approximately 4248 hospitalizations with KD were reported among children under 18 in the US, of which 3277 (77%) were for children under 5 years of age. In 2009, the estimated number of hospitalizations with KD was 5447 (standard error [SE]=297), 4040 (SE=227) for children under 5 years of age.

About Kawasaki Disease | Kawasaki Disease | CDC

I don't think anyone's said they're immune. Since they're not getting really sick for the most part, whether they have the virus is mostly relevant for spreading it to those who are more vulnerable. What I'm talking about in my last few posts is the obvious recent attempt to link Covid to serious illness in otherwise healthy children due to some "kawasaki-like" symptoms reported mostly in NYC. All jmo

From what I understand just about any virus can switch Kawasaki on in a child that gets it. It may not be causing it, so much as facilitating it. Jmo

I'm going to bring Scotland into the comparison also. Scotland's population and area is similar to Ireland and although the figures being quoted for Scotland deaths are 1,912, (382 per million) this article states the real figure is 2,795 ( 559 per million) so much higher than both Sweden or Ireland.

328 Sweden
297 Ireland
382 Scotland (now 559)

Earlier lockdown 'could have stopped 2,000 deaths'

Wow. Did Scotland also separate out its nursing home deaths? Did they add them back in and get that jump?

Scotland was doing so well at first, and I knew things are getting worse in Ireland - enough so that they are having shortages in medical equipment/ICU beds, etc.

Is the Scottish population in general older?

(On local tv news, so my ears are the source until the briefing is completed and is reported on)

AZ Gov. Ducey:

Starting May15, stay at home order is rescinded

Stay Healthy, Return Smarter, Return Stronger is the new slogan

*Vulnerable people should remain at home*

Gov. Doug Ducey announces gyms & pools can reopen May 13 | Coronavirus in Arizona | azfamily.com
Gov. Doug Ducey announces gyms & pools can reopen May 13

Wow. Did Scotland also separate out its nursing home deaths? Did they add them back in and get that jump?

Scotland was doing so well at first, and I knew things are getting worse in Ireland - enough so that they are having shortages in medical equipment/ICU beds, etc.

Is the Scottish population in general older?
BBM. I don't know about Scotland but things are not getting worse in Ireland. There was never a shortage of ICU beds (thankfully) and the numbers admitted to hospitals and ICU are much reduced over the last few weeks.

“We were seeing about 40 people a day being admitted to our hospitals with Covid-19, that number has now dropped to about 20 per day.

“We know the amount of cases per day has also dropped and the rate of growth is now 2% or less for about 12 days.”

Ireland’s Covid-19 reproductive rate is also falling and health chiefs say it is estimated to be between 0.34 and 0.71.

Harris says we are making good progress as Covid-19 patients in ICU drop by 20%

Note: The following is most distressing.

UK railway worker dies of coronavirus after being spat on by infected traveler

Coronavirus
Published 5 hours ago
UK railway worker dies of coronavirus after being spat on by infected traveler
By Madeline Farber | Fox News

A railway worker in the United Kingdom died of COVID-19 after likely being infected with the novel coronavirus by an ill traveler who allegedly spat on her, the worker's union announced Tuesday.

Belly Mujinga, 47, was working for the Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) at Victoria station in central London on March 22 when the incident occurred. Mujinga and her colleague were assaulted by a member of the public who spat and coughed on them, telling the two women he was positive for COVID-19, according to a statement from her union, Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA).
The women reported the incident to the ticket office and asked for police to be called, according to the union.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Why men are more vulnerable to COVID-19

Why men are more vulnerable to COVID-19

Olivana Smith-Lathouris
22 hrs ago
New research has suggested a key enzyme found in our blood may be the reason why men are more susceptible to COVID-19 infection.

The study, published in the European Heart Journal, showed men's blood has higher levels than women's of a key enzyme used by the coronavirus to infect cells, possibly explaining why men be more likely to contract the virus.

Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is found in the heart, kidneys and other organs. In COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, it is thought to play a role in how the infection progresses into the lungs.

BBM. I don't know about Scotland but things are not getting worse in Ireland. There was never a shortage of ICU beds (thankfully) and the numbers admitted to hospitals and ICU are much reduced over the last few weeks.

“We were seeing about 40 people a day being admitted to our hospitals with Covid-19, that number has now dropped to about 20 per day.

“We know the amount of cases per day has also dropped and the rate of growth is now 2% or less for about 12 days.”

Ireland’s Covid-19 reproductive rate is also falling and health chiefs say it is estimated to be between 0.34 and 0.71.

Harris says we are making good progress as Covid-19 patients in ICU drop by 20%

The overall rates are falling almost everywhere - yes, that's good news. I'm glad to hear that there was no shortage of ICU beds. The peak in Ireland was around April 24, and several sites reported that beds were tight, testing was limited, etc. Here's a comparison, though, of Ireland and Sweden in terms of ICU beds - with the author making the point that Ireland couldn't have followed Sweden's method, due to insufficient ICU beds in Ireland - so the disease was managed with shutdowns (that's probably what I'm remembering).

That's what most places are doing. Here's the article:

What can we learn from Sweden's Covid-19 ICU figures?

I guess Sweden has far more beds than Ireland?

This source gives Ireland only 50 ICU beds, can that be? It really sounds wrong but it's IMHE:

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Last edited:
Shanghai Disneyland: Post-Coronavirus Reopening – Variety

Shanghai Disneyland Makes Post-Coronavirus Reopening, but at 20% Capacity
by Rebecca Davis

Shanghai’s Disneyland on Monday became the first Disney theme park in the world to reopen in the wake of coronavirus, operating at just 20% capacity to allow for social distancing — to the delight of visitors let loose in a mostly empty park.
China is in the process of recovering from the economic standstill brought about by COVID-19, and is a few months ahead of the rest of the world in terms of its progress through the pandemic. It has shut its borders to almost all foreigners in hopes of keeping what it calls “imported” cases at bay.

Last edited:
The overall rates are falling almost everywhere - yes, that's good news. I'm glad to hear that there was no shortage of ICU beds. The peak in Ireland was around April 24, and several sites reported that beds were tight, testing was limited, etc. Here's a comparison, though, of Ireland and Sweden in terms of ICU beds - with the author making the point that Ireland couldn't have followed Sweden's method, due to insufficient ICU beds in Ireland - so the disease was managed with shutdowns (that's probably what I'm remembering).

That's what most places are doing. Here's the article:

What can we learn from Sweden's Covid-19 ICU figures?

I guess Sweden has far more beds than Ireland?
Yes I was the one who posted that article originally :). Sweden has more ICU capacity than Ireland so the article merely illustrates that the Swedish approach wouldn't have worked well in Ireland for that reason. So our lockdown, difficult though it has been, seems to have been necessary.

I think I heard that most medical plans will cover the test IIRC, but you need approval though your doctor. I saw an opening available tomorrow so I didn't want to wait days to find out if it is approved. So I just went to the website and paid by credit card. No doubt the best purchase I have made this week (but it's also the only purchase I've made this week).

What website???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members