Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not going to prevent a depression, unfortunately. The very people who are out in the streets trying to do their best to buy a few beers, spend some gas money and eat a couple of meals out - are the unemployed (at least that's true in a lot of the US - but also elsewhere, where ever unemployment rates are up). IMO.

Restaurants are not all going to recover. Hotels will still be hard hit. Travel will be way, way down (due to new policies all around the world, and due to low demand for many types of travel).

Cruises will apparently do well. And amusement parks. But not theaters.

Invest in cruises, bars and amusement parks, I guess.

Divest from all private hospitals?

It'll be a depression all right - but the sectors it hits will probably give some of us cause for dismay. Maybe it'll be better for retail/cars/restaurants - but somehow, I doubt it.
I don't think we can avoid a recession but think a depression can be avoided hopefully by a careful recovery programme. MOO.

Happy Memorial Day. A gorgeous day in my neck of the woods but this virus has me really in the dumps. My state has basically opened up but I am still too scared to venture out of my cocoon. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I wish I could get some energy to enjoy this gorgeous day.

Due to the holiday, reporting by every county and state is not available today, but US deaths yesterday dropped below 1000 (to 612, with almost 20,000 new cases). I'm hoping that the upcoming week consistently sees deaths below 1000, nationwide. But I'm worried that the case number will continue to climb.

It's going to be a different demographic, over the next month or two. I think the very elderly in nursing homes are a bit safer than they were at the beginning of this crisis, and many nursing homes still have strict rules on who can visit, etc. I think healthcare workers now have PPE most places, and that the case load is lower, so they will have more time to suit up and to follow procedures. There's less intubation than before, which is a risk to the doctors that do it.

Many of the newer cases in SoCal are being sent home to convalesce, mostly in the under-50 age group. It's worrying that on May 21, we have our second highest day of new cases in California, as we begin opening up. The tool I'm using doesn't have total data for May 22-24.

If the US has a whole has about 20,000 new cases a day, it'll be interesting to see if the overall mortality changes (as the patients will, I think, be younger and therefore it stands to reason fewer deaths).

But as @HongKongPhooey says, this disease is no joke. In those states where testing is already low, we may never know exactly what the longterm consequences for health may be in younger people.

(I'm using worldometer for data)
I think the deaths will be down, because I believe doctors know now how deadly ventilators can be, and they have a somewhat better handle on what (safe) drugs to use in some cases... remdesivir, and that one Actemra, which literally saved Dr. Fiske within hours, and possibly that HCQ in absolutely right circumstances.

Snipped by me.

See, this is what scares the heck out of me here in the UK right now. Some restrictions were lifted and people might think great, that's that then on we go...

We are still a lot tighter than where you are i.e. no hair or beauty salons are open, nor restaurants for eat-in. But you can see it in people, they are taking more risks already.

Meanwhile, my mum cancels her third little trip to the seaside she had planned. All booked in January to make the most of what she feared may be my dad's final years. All cancelled. Nothing special, coach trips to hotels where they can walk along the seafront and have a drink. A visit to her brother with their sister. Instead barricaded in their home.

Which will go on longer as people laugh and gather en masse, no masks, thinking of themselves.

I literally told her yesterday just hold tight mum. These idiots will all get it now, let it go round their circles and in another month more will be immune. It will be safer for you and dad then. As she asked do you think we might be able to go somewhere later in the summer?

Just hoping it doesn't gain momentum again. I've had this virus and its not a joke. I felt the battle was on and two months later am not fully recovered. Toy with it at your peril.

If I sound angry, I am. In my mind, selfish people are impacting the final years of my parents lives :mad:. That might be a statistic to some but let me say it again. My PARENTS lives.

I don’t know the state of your parents health, obvs, but there are plenty of oldsters out and about here with and without masks. Mostly I still see masks on some customers at the grocery store, but I see a LOT of people who clearly are in their 70’s or maybe even older, at the grocery and out at other places with no masks. About half the people where we were last night were over 65. No masks and seeming not a care in the world. Idk maybe they don’t watch the msm, but that seems unlikely.

Maybe you can send your parents here?!

Last edited:
I don't think we can avoid a recession but think a depression can be avoided hopefully by a careful recovery programme. MOO.

I believe that we will fall into a depression. That may take several years to recover from. After 9/11, the "real" fallout on jobs didn't occur until about 6 months later, that lasted almost 2 years. This has been much worse, and I think that a 2nd wave of job losses will happen next quarter. INMO.

And, if we also have a 2nd wave of COVID19 in the Fall/Winter, that will hit the job market like a tsunami, if people have to go back on unemployment. At that time, it will be with much lower benefit amount and extensions. And how much longer can the government continue their largess?

I think that we will start seeing government layoffs as well, TSA workers, for a start, and it will be a domino effect into other government agencies that won't have revenue.

Sure does. Who invites people to enjoy parks if restrooms are closed? Did anybody think what these people were going to do when nature called?
Of course they didn't think of that here in the UK either. Not sure yet about this weekend but the beaches are packed again so I guess the same problem will happen.

I believe that we will fall into a depression. That may take several years to recover from. After 9/11, the "real" fallout on jobs didn't occur until about 6 months later, that lasted almost 2 years. This has been much worse, and I think that a 2nd wave of job losses will happen next quarter. INMO.

And, if we also have a 2nd wave of COVID19 in the Fall/Winter, that will hit the job market like a tsunami, if people have to go back on unemployment. At that time, it will be with much lower benefit amount and extensions. And how much longer can the government continue their largess?

I think that we will start seeing government layoffs as well, TSA workers, for a start, and it will be a domino effect into other government agencies that won't have revenue.
Well in UK it is to continue till Oct but businesses are being asked to contribute 25% starting in August and take back employees part time if possible. Many businesses won't be able to afford that so we will see what happens. Worrying time for everyone.

What kind of degenerates urinate and defecate in public? That is simply unacceptable, not to mention unsanitary.

WTH is wrong with people?

Drunk people. Many, many drunk people. I am very familiar with that area of Toronto. It's surrounded by several ethnic neighbourhoods like Little Italy and Little Portugal. It's also somewhat of a hangout for student types because it's near U of T as well as many 'hip' places further east on Queen St that has iconic pubs like The Black Bull and the Horseshoe Tavern to name a couple. All those places have been closed for months. So once the Premier decided to open parks all those people came in droves. Normally, people in the park are family types from the surround neighbourhoods where if they do drink wine they do it discreetly. And if they have to pee they go back home, not pee in an alleyway. It's disgusting.

I wish I could shake this depressed feeling. I stayed away from the news for a while hoping it would help and then I saw the pictures of the beaches. Somehow I did mange to do a load of laundry today. This feeling is horrible and with this virus, I just don't see an end in sight anytime soon. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. It is like I can consumed with this virus and all the negativity.

Snipped by me.

See, this is what scares the heck out of me here in the UK right now. Some restrictions were lifted and people might think great, that's that then on we go...

We are still a lot tighter than where you are i.e. no hair or beauty salons are open, nor restaurants for eat-in. But you can see it in people, they are taking more risks already.

Meanwhile, my mum cancels her third little trip to the seaside she had planned. All booked in January to make the most of what she feared may be my dad's final years. All cancelled. Nothing special, coach trips to hotels where they can walk along the seafront and have a drink. A visit to her brother with their sister. Instead barricaded in their home.

Which will go on longer as people laugh and gather en masse, no masks, thinking of themselves.

I literally told her yesterday just hold tight mum. These idiots will all get it now, let it go round their circles and in another month more will be immune. It will be safer for you and dad then. As she asked do you think we might be able to go somewhere later in the summer?

Just hoping it doesn't gain momentum again. I've had this virus and its not a joke. I felt the battle was on and two months later am not fully recovered. Toy with it at your peril.

If I sound angry, I am. In my mind, selfish people are impacting the final years of my parents lives :mad:. That might be a statistic to some but let me say it again. My PARENTS lives.
I hear your frustration and anger, but at the same time we need a certain percentage of stupid people right now. Since the genie is now out of the bottle and the virus is not just going to go away, research is crucial moving forward. We need this virus to travel through communities (at a reasonably low level) so that we have research subjects for treatments and vaccines. Whether these research volunteers are operating out of bravery or stupidity is really immaterial. It's bit ruthless, but realistically we need some people to volunteer to get infected so the rest of us can be protected by better treatments and hopefully, a vaccine. It's actually a plus that we seemingly have so many enthusiastic volunteers. We need the guinea pigs right now.

Though I do wish they would stop short of taking a dump on people's lawns.

Drunk people. Many, many drunk people. I am very familiar with that area of Toronto. It's surrounded by several ethnic neighbourhoods like Little Italy and Little Portugal. It's also somewhat of a hangout for student types because it's near U of T as well as many 'hip' places further east on Queen St that has iconic pubs like The Black Bull and the Horseshoe Tavern to name a couple. All those places have been closed for months. So once the Premier decided to open parks all those people came in droves. Normally, people in the park are family types from the surround neighbourhoods where if they do drink wine they do it discreetly. And if they have to pee they go back home, not pee in an alleyway. It's disgusting.
Are you allowed to take alcohol into the park?
Geez, it’s one thing to take a small discrete sippy cup with a lid when you are out walking but to get blotto in the park and do your business in someone’s yard?

I set up the TAP for Starbucks. And just 2 days later someone tried to hack into my phone, and I had to have my bank card closed and changed number.

This seems like something different than the tap feature on cards in Canada. It's been a few years since another human touched my card, and generally I don't touch the debit machine. I just wave my card close to the debit machine which reads the magnetic strip on the back and the transaction is completed with no further action from me. There is no setup required, and it's not connected to my phone.

The touchless method of financial transaction certainly is appreciated in these covid days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon