Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
you literally just tap your card (there's a little gold holagram spot that touches the screen) but they have to be set up for it and your card has to be set up for it too
if they're staring at you, they probably aren't set up for it and the cashiers have no idea
you can also pay with your smart phone

I had to order a new card. Mine was older and didn't have the "tap" chip.

Once the new card arrived, BAM, I was cooking with gas. (as, we say in the south)

No, all restrooms, picnic areas and playground equipment is closed and hazard tape applied.

Even out remote parks had porta johns.

Makes ya say.....

And what was he thinking...
Sure does. Who invites people to enjoy parks if restrooms are closed? Did anybody think what these people were going to do when nature called?

I have a sister in NC. She calls me every few days ranting about what she calls "morons" and "idiots" that refuse to mask up or stay away from her. And she has no trouble literally telling people to stay the f*ck away from her in the best of times, much less nowadays. She's a trip.

I don't go that far, but I do stare people down until they become uncomfortable enough to back off. Works like a charm. They're the ones ignoring social distancing guidelines, not me. No way am I going to back down first.:rolleyes:

I admire your bravery!!! And would love to meet your sister!!!

I'm to scared to confront anyone. Growing up in the south, I've seen it all... some folks go from zero to a full blown crazed maniac, 10 in seconds.

To many fighting for their rights, to wear/not wear a mask, to host social functions, church, taking kids out.

Decided early on, I can't be the enforcer of social distancing. I can't protect that kid in Wal-Mart chewing on the cart handle, I can't prevent our teenagers from secret parties, or folks who hold huge cookout. All I can do for these folks is pray for divine intervention.

But.....I've become my governor's worst nightmare. To much time on the hands of us "old" professional has not played well for our Doctor Governor.

Moo....

Sure does. Who invites people to enjoy parks if restrooms are closed? Did anybody think what these people were going to do when nature called?

Well, Virginia Governor Northam, MD. The country's ONLY Doctor Governor.

Moo... He wouldn't/refused to release any data or detailed information in the first month he used to make decisions...models, deaths, hospitalizations, etc. The walk in the park theme carried on for two weeks, in the media. Me...I think it was to deflect from lack on statistics and detailed plans.

Oh yeah, this opening up the states is going just fine Dr. Brix...(moo)
Watch now: Fans are plentiful, masks in shorter supply for Ace Speedway opener amid COVID-19 pandemic North Carolina yesterday...

Its clear, these folks won't, aren't gonna listen to Dr. Birx, the NC Governor, or the CDC. Their message is clear, social distance, <10 in groups and masks.

In two weeks or less we'll see the positive/hospitalizations soar!! And many will have carried the virus by the surrounding, TN, SC and VA.

Moo...

The neighborhood park near me opened this weekend. They sent out notices to all the houses within a radius - stated the bathrooms and water fountains would not be open due to CV.
The intent was to provide a place for people to walk, enjoy the weather, get out of the house.

Stay for an hour or two.
Don’t bring your cooler and plan on staying all day sunbathing with 20 of your friends is kind of how I interpreted the message.
I didn’t get to go, but hope people were able to enjoy the brief periods of sunshine.

Last edited:
From the Washington Post newspaper

Some of us were wondering how hard Covid-19 would hit rural areas.
Can't speak for any state but Virgina. Rural numbers of positive and hospitalizations increase daily. Major lack of testing. The eastern shore and central Virginia have major outbreaks,in chicken plants. CDC sent teams to test all the employees and Virginia is is not counting positive tests in our numbers.

My little town has a 20% positivity rate, with less than.05% testing. State has refused point prevalence testing for our area, even though NO cost to state (we have a 150k donation and set up our own site).

We have a call center with 45% positivity rate and one death, a food processing plant-snack foods outbreak not being reported by state and a large nursing home outbreak.

We partnered with the local health and are paying for their assistance and the cost for our FREE testing and now the state won't grant permission for point prevalence or even open testing. We have to have a Doctors order to get tested. Spoke with Dr. Carey personally last week, he says a local decison by HD and the regional director said, No, its controlled by the state.

Our larger cities Richmond, Chesapeake, VA Beach hold several "anybody can get tested" sites weekly, testing 1000s. I don't include Northern VA, as they are operating as a new mini state.

Moo... If you need a link, I'll look up but have posted these several times.

This virus is made entirely of RNA. RNA is a much smaller molecule than DNA. DNA is in the nucleus of each cell, kept there by the nuclear membrane, which is like a sieve - DNA is too big to get out.

RNA (often abbreviated rNA) is DNA's tiny cousin. It is made of the same chemicals and shares the same code, but its job is to go in and out of the nucleus, transmitting information from your genes to the cell - to build the cell. This virus, therefore, can go directly into your nuclear DNA (messing with it, causing misreadings, etc). The proteins in the cell that give each cell its function are thereby messed up by the virus.

We know that it's epithelial cells in particular that are attacked by CV19. While your skin is the most obvious set of these cells, it's the ones on the inside of the lungs and in the framework of arteries and veins that are immediately and terribly effected in those people whose immune systems don't jump to the ready.

Almost every organ is encased in epithelial cells, so that's why the one woman's heart literally fell apart - its epithelium was destroyed. That's why a handful of people are getting meningitis. But the common symptom of searing pain throughout the body and the micro-bloodclots are coming from this RNA attack on the cells themselves, disabling these cells from reproducing and functioning. Epithelial cells are some of the most quickly reproducing cells in our bodies, they must be reproduced day and night. Stomach lining and intestinal/colon lining also affected, as we have heard and seen in terms of symptoms.

At any rate, rogue RNA inside our bodies is not good. RNA is central in the triggering of immune responses and clearly, CoVid RNA has the key to some locks in our immune cells that scientists are working very hard to close off to it.

There's a lot of very promising research and several different pathways to either treating CoVid much more effectively OR vaccinating us in some way.

Keep in mind that early rates of disease were heavily skewed by so many very ill people going into hospital and dying quickly before anyone knew what to do. Deaths per positive test case are dropping. That's good. I want it to get even better before I come anywhere close to living my previous life.

~2-3 people dying per 1000 of population (0.27% per capita) is not good enough for me. But if the trend continues and we get to 0.07 or so, as predicted by some who study this, I'll feel a lot safer. I'd like to see zero new cases in my county before I start daring here and there.

(I actually only go to about two places: home and work; work on campus is off the table indefinitely).
Thank you, so much for this article!!!! I learn so much from you. I. bet you are a fabulous teacher and well admired !!!! Your unique ability to breakdown highly technical information for me ..the average lay person, is superb!!!

I thank you!!

Snipped by me.

See, this is what scares the heck out of me here in the UK right now. Some restrictions were lifted and people might think great, that's that then on we go...

We are still a lot tighter than where you are i.e. no hair or beauty salons are open, nor restaurants for eat-in. But you can see it in people, they are taking more risks already.

Meanwhile, my mum cancels her third little trip to the seaside she had planned. All booked in January to make the most of what she feared may be my dad's final years. All cancelled. Nothing special, coach trips to hotels where they can walk along the seafront and have a drink. A visit to her brother with their sister. Instead barricaded in their home.

Which will go on longer as people laugh and gather en masse, no masks, thinking of themselves.

I literally told her yesterday just hold tight mum. These idiots will all get it now, let it go round their circles and in another month more will be immune. It will be safer for you and dad then. As she asked do you think we might be able to go somewhere later in the summer?

Just hoping it doesn't gain momentum again. I've had this virus and its not a joke. I felt the battle was on and two months later am not fully recovered. Toy with it at your peril.

If I sound angry, I am. In my mind, selfish people are impacting the final years of my parents lives :mad:. That might be a statistic to some but let me say it again. My PARENTS lives.
The US this weekend seems like party city USA. I fear we are in for a resurgence unlike we've never seen before. Also seems like the younger generation absolutely does not care about those who have given much to society. Instead of partying, they should recognize Memorial Day for what it is: a time to remember veterans who have died to keep them safe and free.

I believe that is what they are doing here. Parks opened this weekend, but not the restrooms....I think you get what you get if public places are open with no bathrooms. Hey, I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible and I have forever, but they need to be available. I’m not a genius or anything, but people sometimes have to go.

I believe that is what they are doing here. Parks opened this weekend, but not the restrooms....I think you get what you get if public places are open with no bathrooms. Hey, I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible and I have forever, but they need to be available. I’m not a genius or anything, but people sometimes have to go.

Exactly! MOO

Understand, but it's perhaps the only thing that the city and governments can do to cut down on crowd gatherings? You can go to the park for a short time, but don't spend all day there?

I think it's strategic. To help folks not stay for a long time without rebellions?

MOO

Teach...teach your children well....
This will just make the disaster worse. Why is this American lifestyle so prevalent? I am literally sitting here shaking my head back and forth.
Surge coming I fear. Many in the younger generations have not experienced a severe recession/depression so they have no worries. And, many have not yet figured out jobs hit by coronavirus will have a different look and may not be returning. While I hope for the best, I still think this disease will have a second coming, and high unemployment will again hit. Looks like many are completely unaware and unprepared. Then, maybe I'm over-reacting.

Exactly! MOO

Understand, but it's perhaps the only thing that the city and governments can do to cut down on crowd gatherings? You can go to the park for a short time, but don't spend all day there?

I think it's strategic. To help folks not stay for a long time without rebellions?

MOO
There is also the issue of not having enough PPE for those employees whose jobs requires them to clean those bathrooms.

The trash department quit doing anything but bare bones trash pickup due to the same issue. Some people put yard waste/bulky items on the curb in late March for the monthly pickup and those items are still there.
(County says it will resume in September)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge