MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JDough it is called working in a culture mentality that accepts bullying as a "norm". And Whistleblowers are retaliated against for speaking out.

If any of those other officers who said a word, George would be alive. And that officer's career would have been over. I have seen it happen. So, see nothing, say nothing is the culture.

The officer was wearing black gloves and black pants. He didn’t have his hands in his pockets.
He may have had the pepper spray in his pocket, and that's why he had his hand there. Maybe he reached in his pocket to spray it at the witnesses. Either that or he was holding it in his hand. Jmo

So many people under arrest fake not being able to breathe, fake claustrophobia, fake that something is hurting etc...but this guy KNEW GEORGE HAD NO PULSE. He's going to claim tunnel vision like Amber Guyger did, and that may be true, but it is no excuse and he needs to go to prison for the rest of his life IMO.

@JDough it is called working in a culture mentality that accepts bullying as a "norm". And Whistleblowers are retaliated against for speaking out.

If any of those other officers who said a word, George would be alive. And that officer's career would have been over. I have seen it happen. So, see nothing, say nothing is the culture.
And I believe Chauvin was the senior officer. He had influence over less senior officers, and if challenged, he could make their lives miserable.

So many people under arrest fake not being able to breathe, fake claustrophobia, fake that something is hurting etc...but this guy KNEW GEORGE HAD NO PULSE. He's going to claim tunnel vision like Amber Guyger did, and that may be true, but it is no excuse and he needs to go to prison for the rest of his life IMO.

If they stayed in their lane and did what they were supposed to do they wouldn't have to have tunnel vision issues. Someone you arrest claims a medical issue, take them to the ER, get them checked by someone who can assess, then take them in. This was all a power trip. Of course, IMHO.

And, I agree. Prison forever.

If they stayed in their lane and did what they were supposed to do they wouldn't have to have tunnel vision issues. Someone you arrest claims a medical issue, take them to the ER, get them checked by someone who can assess, then take them in. This was all a power trip. Of course, IMHO.

Exactly. A professional doesn't really care about being "obeyed" or making a prisoner be "submissive". That is a power trip.

A professional police officer, would have arrested Floyd, put him in the back of the car, and let him bang away. Drive to the jail, release him for processing.

Officer Chauvin was showing off, to the other officers, that he was "The Man". He could make a man submissive. And pose like Floyd was a trophy prize.

Yes, the mayor is elected and usually has authority over the Police Department. The position of Police Chief is usually assigned by the mayor. I believe the City Council is also involved in these decisions. At least that's how it works in most cities.

From what I could tell, excessive force can be used when necessary, when a suspect is a danger to themselves or others. The neck compressions were meant to be used only for the amount of time it takes to restrain a suspect until they are handcuffed, as far as I can tell. Then the suspect is rolled on their side, or in an upright or sitting position.

It's not really clear to me whether every PD is banned from using that maneuver. It should be, unless used very briefly to restrain someone who is very aggressive or a direct threat to an officer or others.
@MsBetsy , I believe you have an accurate understanding of how/if such a maneuver can be used. Many departments do not allow it at all because blocking the blood flow to a person's brain is fatal.

Exactly. A professional doesn't really care about being "obeyed" or making a prisoner be "submissive". That is a power trip.

A professional police officer, would have arrested Floyd, put him in the back of the car, and let him bang away. Drive to the jail, release him for processing.

Officer Chauvin was showing off, to the other officers, that he was "The Man". He could make a man submissive. And pose like Floyd was a trophy prize.

Excellent post. I wonder if part of the murderer's thinking was influenced by GF's size? As in, I can make a BIG man submit.

@mickey2942 you got it right!

But baffling to me is that Chauvin was aware of being video recorded, yet he didn't alter his actions one bit.

But baffling to me is that Chauvin was aware of being video recorded, yet he didn't alter his actions one bit.

That is baffling to me as well. HIs killer partner didn't seem concerned about the action either. I think Mr. Floyd's altered state and resisting gave him the sense that it would be a justified use of force. They also have their union president who they thought would get everything okay for them. The union pres. is the one who fought the idea of change the chief was implementing.

Did Chauvin know GF didn't have a pulse? My impression is that he didn't even care to find out. Just like Thao didn't even care to look. Then he could truthfully say that he didn't see anything.

GF wasn't Chauvin's collar, and he was the last officer to the scene. But somehow he was in charge.

Power trip ... what they did was a complete disregard of a human life. Officers are duty bound to perform CPR, but they didn't. And then to drag him over and onto the gurney without care pretty much told it all.

Because he had been able to get away with doing egregious actions previously, so the callousness became normalized, and also escalated. There is a thrill, with power tripping, like how far can I go? There is almost an endorphin high that kicks in with this type of anti-social deviant activity. Which is why he didn't let go. He was enjoying the "high".

The specific toxicology is a new finding. The police suspected he was on something, but they could not have known that fentanyl was in his system. They may or may not have suspected meth. IMOO, someone can present with some telltale signs while under its influence, but not always. Was anything else in the toxicology report? Alcohol? TIA Better yet, do you have a link to the report?

In some posts, the presence of fentanyl and methamphetamine in GF was mentioned. I want to say that even if so, it by any means is NOT the reason to mistreat a person in police custody. What if a person is drunk of high on pot (legal substances)? Drank 6 cups of coffee? What if he is on prescription drugs?

Drug addiction is an illness. Like alcoholism. Nothing gives us the right to mete out judgment, especially in such a horrible way.

Last edited:
Exactly @SleuthBee if they don't review the previous 18 incidents with Officer Chauvin, and how Officer Chauvin continued to maintain employment, this could happen again.

Those "incidents"? What were they? Were they always involved with a black person? What was the resolution? Why? Who dismissed these incidents?

Because Officer Chauvin got away with situations previously, he obviously escalated his behavior. He thought he could do anything and get away with everything.

How many police officers in Minneapolis have this same attitude?

I would bet they were not only against the blacks. Rather, against anyone who would make him feel not in control.

Because he had been able to get away with doing egregious actions previously, so the callousness became normalized, and also escalated. There is a thrill, with power tripping, like how far can I go? There is almost an endorphin high that kicks in with this type of anti-social deviant activity. Which is why he didn't let go. He was enjoying the "high".
Watching the video was outraging and terrifying. Thank you for explaining Chauvin's type of evil.

Accidental? No. I saw the video. Case closed for me. My brother-in-law is a corrections officer, and he said they are told during training in no uncertain terms to NEVER put pressure on a prisoner's neck because it could kill him/her. Certainly police officers have a lot more training so know this too.
Same with my husband (CO). He was apoplectic watching the video (I advised him not to). We have a few police officer acquaintances as well and they are all in agreement Chauvin murdered Floyd. I dont blame anyone not wanting to watch but it's poor form refusing to and then suggesting everyone could be misinterpreting what occurred. Pretty much everyone from the local prosecutor to Trey Gowdy to civil rights activists are unanimous that the footage showed a murder, what more does anyone need? I dont think there's ever been a more unanimous opinion on something like this. Watch the video or hush. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82