Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there was a bike found at the bottom of the ravine on the Sunday night. How it got there? I don’t know. But there was a bike found and it was SM’s bike.
We don't know that. LE has not verified. As far as I've observed, everything to do with a bike was seeded into the story by BM <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>
The spouse is out of town when the event happens.
Security cameras at the house - not working, don't have them?
Focus of LE investigation and digging up worksite.
Nothing from the daughters and they don't appear to be around. (a little unfair because they may just not want to go public)
If he is innocent and telling the truth, his behavior seems reasonable. If I came home with my spouse missing and the bike in a ravine and damaged. The possibilities would be abduction, hit by a car, single bike accident (although I think there would be evidence), and animal attack. That's about all I would have and would have to cling to them while trying to find them. If LE was focusing their investigation on me, I'd be annoyed. I would be out searching in the rain and getting wet. I actually think a lot of his behavior is what a lot of people would do. I've seen a lot of boyfriends/husbands accused and it turned out being false. I'm not going to do that because it just makes a bad situation a little worse. Real facts - SM is missing and LE found some item of hers.
^^bbm

Let me go on record that given the same facts, this is not what I would be doing. Nope, this would not be my behavior.

I'd be telling anybody that would listen to me the 3 scenarios that BM told the stranger (blogger) that he met on the road.

I would have held a presser with LE to announce my grand, no questions asked reward and made my name and face known. (BM was not yet publically identified when media made the announcement of his $100,000 reward for SM).

I'd be asking investigators to drill and grill me -- polygraph me now so you can eliminate me.

Also, I would not have needed more time (too soon) to make a plea for my missing spouse. I don't care what others would have perceived about me (to need more time) because this isn't about me -- it's about my missing spouse.

If I truly believed my spouse may have been abducted, I'd be going national -- they could be anywhere. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Although BM is high on my radar, everyone is suspect to me, daughters, neighbor, paper boy, etc.
I'm interested in that trail going up to Denver and BM's Firebuds. I am interested in what the Volunteer FF crew does/did. If there were any actions/test burns done along the trail? Something this VF crew does to help primary firefighters?

I picture from day one, L.E. asking BM to account for ALL of his time..the 8th,9th and 10th. I’m sure they compared his account to his phone data records...being either off/on at times...pinging where, when...his receipts from eating , gas, purchases etc.
They dug up that concrete and sift through his recently laid dirt for a reason.
IMO law enforcement knows the Who, maybe When ...just not the WHERE.

God speed. MOO

I’m game!

I have no facts whatsoever that BM is guilty. I also have no facts whatsoever that BM is not guilty. And there’s that!

What I see is the direction LE have taken in this investigation. Shutting BM out of his home for a week, taking his truck and phone, digging up his work and not giving him the “all clear,” good to go. They never issued a BOLO with a description of SM, her bike or clothing. Strange behaviour if they actually believed a kidnapping, abduction occurred ala BM’s theories.

What I also see is BM “hanging his hat” on SM’s bike and the narrative he is spinning, actually three possibilities, none of which LE seem interested in pursuing, at the moment. BM’s theories all involve the bike and nothing but the bike, while LE are mum on it. That makes me suspicious of the bike story and therefore BM. JMHO
Very good! Thank you so much.
It seems normal to take his phone and truck. Keeping his home locked down for a week sounds like LE was searching for something very specific.
Never issuing a BOLO. Hmmm. That’s something!

found it
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT].
ETA - fix link
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
"controlling"

Being in charge doesn’t automatically register as controlling in my mind. Oh sure, it might be that he was controlling. But I don’t know from that one quote: “He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time.”

We don’t know why they moved to Colorado, do we? I know families who move to different states (sometimes multiple times) to further the career of one parent. That might appear that one parent is “in charge” but in reality it might be the most logical decision for the family’s economic well-being.

I’m not saying this is the case with the Morphews, but I’m not quite ready to make the leap from “in charge” to “controlling” without knowing more about the family dynamic - info we don’t have yet.

Standoffish = aloof, distant, remote, detached... Sounds like an introvert. Definitely not a synonym for controlling.

The. actual word "controlling" was used by one of Suzanne's family members who, justifiably, wishes to remain anonymous. But it's in the articles linked by several just above.

I think LE may have found the bike, and called out an immediate search party on the view that Suzanne could be nearby, injured. At that point, IMO they had had a tip that she was on a bike ride, they assumed she had a crash. Tire track evidence probably didn't point to being run off the road. I don't believe they found that other personal item that night, but continued to search, using at least two teams of dogs.

Hour by hour weather data for nearby Salida shows zero inches of rain and fair skies all day (until midnight) on Mother's Day. It also did not rain the day before. On Monday, at around 10 am, the Salida area got 1/10th of an inch - barely enough to moisten the ground, but perhaps a bit more damp at the higher elevation where the Morphews live.

At any rate, on that first evening, police with police spotlights and flashlights - and apparently dogs - found no trace of Suzanne. The next morning, even more people were out (before this mild rain event) and no trace of Suzanne. The dampness or light rain would have refreshed the scent for the dogs, and I will bet dollars to donuts that the police took pictures of the area where the bike was found (and the road) the night before.

But if they didn't, that was a mistake. I don't recall if LE said how many were searching that first night, but with her missing overnight, I'd think they'd establish a larger search, with due diligence about not messing up potential tracks or evidence.

Which reminds me: footprint evidence is great evidence. It's one of the first things students are trained to do in forensic labs, so it's likely that any discernible tracks were preserved. Those tracks might tell a story and no mention has been made of whether Suzanne left tracks. If she did not leave any tracks near the place where her bike was found, that would make LE quite suspicious, I'd think.

If tire tread marks match those of a known local vehicle, that tells a story too.

^^bbm

Let me go on record that given the same facts, this is not what I would be doing. Nope, not my behavior.

I'd be telling anybody that would listen to me the 3 scenarios that BM told the stranger (blogger) that he met on the road.

I would have held a presser with LE to announce my grand, no questions asked reward and made my name and face known. (BM was not yet publically identified when media made the announcement of his $100,000 reward for SM).

I'd be asking investigators to drill and grill me -- polygraph me now so you can eliminate me.

Also, I would not have needed more time (too soon) to make a plea for my missing spouse. I don't care what others would have perceived about me (to need more time) because this isn't about me -- it's about my missing spouse.

If I truly believed my spouse may have been abducted, I'd be going national -- they could be anywhere. MOO
I totally agree. If your first thought is to protect yourself, and not do everything in your power to publicize the disappearance of your missing loved one, then at the very least that shows a major character flaw.

I’ve never seen an innocent person behave this way.

I’m game!

I have no facts whatsoever that BM is guilty. I also have no facts whatsoever that BM is not guilty. And there’s that!

What I see is the direction LE have taken in this investigation. Shutting BM out of his home for a week, taking his truck and phone, digging up his work and not giving him the “all clear,” good to go. They never issued a BOLO with a description of SM, her bike or clothing. Strange behaviour if they actually believed a kidnapping, abduction occurred ala BM’s theories.

What I also see is BM “hanging his hat” on SM’s bike and the narrative he is spinning, actually three possibilities, none of which LE seem interested in pursuing, at the moment. BM’s theories all involve the bike and nothing but the bike, while LE are mum on it. That makes me suspicious of the bike story and therefore BM. JMHO

They still haven't found anything. Or they are not telling. Shouldn't they be questioning him over and over. If they think they can find her alive and they suspect the husband then surely he would be back into questioning constantly.

If they don't think she will be found alive. Are they building a case? And thus keeping everybody in the loop. LE and the two agencies did not want any local and voluntarily groups searching for her. Why?

^^bbm

Let me go on record that given the same facts, this is not what I would be doing. Nope, this would not be my behavior.

True. But why does everyone keep saying he was not yet publicly identified when it was announced Suzanne was missing? They are in a town of 200 people right? So everyone knows him. I’m even more curious as to why the locals don’t speak up. What’s up with that?

I totally agree. If your first thought is to protect yourself, and not do everything in your power to publicize the disappearance of your missing loved one, then at the very least that shows a major character flaw.

Well, no one is raving about his good character that I have heard. So there’s that.

They still haven't found anything. Or they are not telling.
They're not telling.

Shouldn't they be questioning him over and over. If they think they can find her alive and they suspect the husband then surely he would be back into questioning constantly.

BM has an attorney and that attorney would not want his client subjected to an interrogation or interview. Reason: trying to keep his client from being indicted in case his client did commit a crime and keep his client from incriminating himself. (Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution).

Are they building a case? And thus keeping everybody in the loop. LE and the two agencies did not want any local and voluntarily groups searching for her. Why?

Yes, they build cases, that's what they do and that's what they are doing in SM's disappearance. That case may or may not lead to BM. They have agencies they're working with (like the FBI/CBI) who are assisting them.

They do not need local or volunteer groups searching. Because something has led them to believe this is about finding a body, not an alive SM, they don't want people trampling onto or interfering in a case that needs to be protected for future litigation.

The public, as curious as they and we are, are not entitled to know details of an investigation. If LE needed something or needed help, they'd ask.

This is standard criminal investigation 101.

Meant the searching of that concrete slab LE searched on that new house that was being built. They first cut out square holes of the concrete to get underneath the concrete and then dug even further down under it.
Ok. I thought you were speaking of finding her bike and that leading to the digging.

I totally agree. If your first thought is to protect yourself, and not do everything in your power to publicize the disappearance of your missing loved one, then at the very least, that shows a major character flaw.

Don't forget how quickly the CBI and FBI were involved. I mean LE and the agencies were immediately tight lipped. And later when things were found, the LE sheriff was as vague as they can be.

It is strange that nobody said anything, and the ones that did, were either dismissed (local with a story about BM being aggressive) or shut down (nephew).

Last edited:
They're not telling.

BM has an attorney and that attorney would not want his client subjected to an interrogation or interview. Reason: trying to keep his client from being indicted in case his client did commit a crime and keep his client from incriminating himself. (Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution).

Yes, they build cases, that's what they do and that's what they are doing in SM's disappearance. They have agencies they're working with who are assisting them. No, they do not need local or volunteer groups searching. Why? Because something has led them to believe this is about finding a body, not an alive SM, they don't want people trampling onto or interfering in a case that needs to be protected for future litigation. The public, as curious as they and we are, are not entitled to know things like details of an investigation. This is standard criminal investigation 101.
Is it also possible they have another suspect in their very tiny community and LE doesn’t want that person tipped off about their investigation?

Absolutely! I'm looking for any "regulated/setup burns" by the Volunteers. Regular people aren't allowed to do fires and they would attract attention.
@ogls :)Is this what you are referring to? Or another kind of burn?
"
Controlled burn - Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Controlled_burn
A controlled or prescribed burn, also known as hazard reduction burning, backfire, swailing, or a burn-off, is a fire set intentionally for purposes of forest management, farming, prairie restoration or greenhouse gas abatement."
Maybe volunteer FFs use prescribed burns as training excercises? Like at link below to handbook?
http://www.ncprescribedfirecouncil.org/newsletter_stories/Summer2010/VFD_Iowa_rx_fire_materials.pdf
And perhaps use for purpose other than training exclusively? Interesting thought.
{{{ETA: At link, Chapter 6 of handbook describes best times of year for different purposes, various kinds of foliage, etc., how to plan a burn, w timetable/planning starting 12 months before the burn. Appears not a spontaneous event, if by the book.}}}

Last edited:
Why would LE let Barry or the public know he’s a POI Or suspect and possibly scare him to flee before they finish building a strong case they are in no rush he’s not going anywhere. I would bet they have him under 24/7 surveillance. I’m sure right now they are getting warrants and or have and are going through all the digital stuff like Phone records, text, cell tower pings, computer searches, financial records, etc.. this stuff takes time. I think LE has a good idea what happened and just tying up loose ends.

JMO MOO

I agree it had to be something that shifted LE focus a certain way which led up to the concrete slab being tore up at the one search location.

It happened pretty quickly so it may have been that extra personal item they found.

I tend to think it was something about the bicycle. Here are some things that would automatically make me realize she did not ride the bike that day if I saw the scene like this:

1-*A small disc brake lock was attached to the bicycle that prevented one of the wheels from even turning. The perp may have been unaware it was even attached since some of them are very small.

Top 8 Disc Brake Locks of 2020 | Video Review

2-*The bicycle had clip-on pedals and she only owned one pair of the special cleated shoes that work hand-in-hand and those shoes were at home still.

3-*The bicycle had some previous damage that made it unrideable and one of the other close family members knew the bike was not rideable or fixed yet.

Anything like that would have been a huge red flag to LE.

Best post to date on what L.E. has and it was mentioned by relative day 2 or 3. Best reason they have narrowed their search. After this they dug deep into the alibi .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeEss91