Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes time to go up and down the trail. So someone close with the staging on their mind, also knows that. More risk of being seen by anybody. Even at night.

For me it is about the point of her being on her bike somewhere. If it is a staging then I would like to see how this possibly could have gone down. Given the terrain and the timeframe. Multiple days of removing possible evidence and staging?

Can we safely say she was not taken from her house and thus also her bike now that the house is returned to the family?
I dunno, I think it could have all been done very quickly. Throw the bike in the back of a truck, and toss it off the roadway. Any other items could have simply been thrown out the window.

The house being returned to the family doesn’t necessarily mean anything. I’ve seen cases where a house is held for less time, despite murder occurring there.

I think SM has been well hidden. If BM is the perpetrator he is counting on SM never being found.

If however BM is charged with the disappearance of SM based on circumstantial evidence and if this case goes to trial, then I think we have heard his basic defense strategy he has already formed in his head, via his casual 'interview' with TD.

- I wasn't there. (Jodi Arias)
- My private team searched 200 miles radius of mountainous area. Nothing found.
- Incompetent LE messed up all evidence, ie, bike
- LE didn't cooperate with BM's team. ie, unknown SM's personal article
- Mountain lion could have done it. But rained right away, oh well, who knows what really happened.
- Somebody other than him abducted SM. That must be it. Blah blah blah...

Even if you called 911 in Denver and explained the situation I am sure they would get you through to the proper authority. I think the only thing we do know is that BM did not call the police.

He would look up Chaffee County Sheriff, he's a fireman, this isn't new to him. He didn't want to make the call IMO.
That is actually what is bothering me the most. I am from a small town, and if he was in the fire department, I would expect him to text someone he knew in LE or the fire dept. to go check out his house and see if his wife is around/OK before he called 911. I mean I don't know exactly how it went down but I know personally it would be a while before I called 911; after my friend went to check, after a local family member went to check etc...

Sorry if this is a repeat, but in Google Earth you can hold CTRL while moving mouse in order to change angle of view, which does give you a sense of relative elevation. If the spot marked on those screen shots from earlier today is the site of the bike, then the "ravine" is more like a ditch, not a canyon.

Perhaps not, but I believe there was less than 24 hrs between her death and the missing person report, if SM did indeed suffer this fate.

I think the critical window of time is likely between the (very, very early) hours of May 8th and the (very, very early) hours of May 10th.

LE has asked locals in the area to preserve any camera/surveillance footage they have from between the dates of May 8th - May 12.

This leads me to believe that in LE's working timeline, the window for SM's disappearance opens on May 8th.

JMO.

Last edited:
Where do those descriptions come from? I keep hearing how he is controlling but who has actually said that?
“The last report I got from people is that [Barry] is having a difficult time sitting still, and pacing back and forth, constantly looking out the window, hoping he can see her” Bertram said. “He’s going out, driving up the road, and trying to remember any suspicious vehicles that he’s seen.”

He said Barry hasn’t gone on a call for the fire department since his wife disappeared.

Other than that, Bertram said, he doesn’t know much about the investigation.

“The initial report that I got when they told me on Monday is that she is missing and they found her bike in a ravine,” he said. “That’s all the information I have gotten.”

Investigators search Salida property in connection with Suzanne Morphew disappearance, Fire Chief remains “hopeful”

MAY 25, 2020
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana, and members of the community there are concerned about Suzanne’s well-being as the investigation into her disappearance enters its third week.

[...]

JP noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.” Still, JP said he never noticed any trouble between the husband and wife.

CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

[...]

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said during the first week of the search that investigators believed it was unlikely Morphew was the victim of an animal attack.

1. bike in ravine
2. standoffish
ETA
3. controlling
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

Last edited:
The house being returned to the family doesn’t necessarily mean anything. I’ve seen cases where a house is held for less time, despite murder occurring there.

snipped to the part quoted above.

The house being returned means one thing: LE completed their work from the search warrant on that house.

They looked for the things that would be detailed on the warrant, they probably looked for any forensic evidence and took whatever sample or control items as needed, they seized various items. All the items seized were taken back to LE headquarters where they are cataloged, given ID numbers, securely packaged and stored in a locked room, and are (eventually) sent to the various labs and experts who will analyze/test. The search warrant has been sealed by a judge and that means no details about the search warrant or what has been seized as part of that warrant will be known for now.

It does not mean someone is no longer considered a potential suspect. LE cannot legally just hold onto a house indefinitely because they feel like it.

I am interested in knowing if anyone can list FACTS that Barry is guilty. See, I am riding that fence of guilty/not guilty. I read all the comments and the “What Ifs”. LE has said only that Suzanne Morphew is missing and this is now a criminal investigation. Okay.

And from reading WS, I realize the husband must be looked at carefully. But still, there isn’t a squeak out of LE.

About a week ago there was a huge rumor on SM and I was ready to hang BM. As it turned out, it was totally false.

So now, instead of hypotheses, I would like to know what facts you all have so I can get off the fence. You don’t have to respond, of course. But it would be nice if you would help me.:D

<modsnip>

The spouse is out of town when the event happens.
Security cameras at the house - not working, don't have them?
Focus of LE investigation and digging up worksite.
Nothing from the daughters and they don't appear to be around. (a little unfair because they may just not want to go public)

If he is innocent and telling the truth, his behavior seems reasonable. If I came home with my spouse missing and the bike in a ravine and damaged. The possibilities would be abduction, hit by a car, single bike accident (although I think there would be evidence), and animal attack. That's about all I would have and would have to cling to them while trying to find them. If LE was focusing their investigation on me, I'd be annoyed. I would be out searching in the rain and getting wet.

I actually think a lot of his behavior is what a lot of people would do. I've seen a lot of boyfriends/husbands accused and it turned out being false. I'm not going to do that because it just makes a bad situation a little worse.

Real facts - SM is missing and LE found some item of hers.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM:

Any further away, and it also likely delays discovery.

I think in the perp's mind, close to home was a better setting.

I think the perp wanted the bike found sooner rather than later.

As we've been told ad nauseam, BM was in Denver on Sunday.
Bike was apparently recovered on Sunday.
Convenient, that.

For the record, I don't think it matters one iota where BM was on Sunday.

I don't think it matters where he was on Sunday, because I don't believe SM was alive on Sunday.

JMO.

I completely agree. IMO BM has worked diligently to etch a few things in the minds of those concerned:

1. He was in Denver On Sunday
2. LE saw a mountain lion on that road just above where he said her bike was found.
3. Bike was found Sunday night. Now we hear him say crashed and the tire facing up. Almost as if he’s frustrated nobody else has verified his “fact”.
3. She could have been hit by a car and fell into the river and washed away.
4. They found another article but haven’t told him what.
5. LE has screwed up by touching, moving and driving over evidence.
6. He’s cleared, or so they told him. His friends are far better trained and are out looking against the warning by LE.
7. Girls were away and on their way home Sunday MD but were running late.

I think she’s been unreachable since the girls went away (we don’t know the date) and once they were in cell range (IF they didn’t have any) and noticed no communication from mom nor could they reach her alarms went off. I went back to the CO and DM articles that quoted FCB as saying he was called and told her bike was in a ravine. It seems they have been edited and no longer contain that verbiage.

I also am of the opinion that if the neighbor went to the M residence and saw the car and no bike, she would not have panicked. It was still light out etc. UNLESS she spotted something that raised immediate concern to SM’s well being. Then she dialed 911.

Last edited:
I dunno, I think it could have all been done very quickly. Throw the bike in the back of a truck, and toss it off the roadway. Any other items could have simply been thrown out the window.

There is only one road, the 225, it ends at the dam. So for her bike to be thrown of a truck it had to be where the 225 crosses over the Fooses Creek, there is a small ravine. Or at the beginning of the 225, where it crosses the South Arkansas river.

I truly respect that you're still on the fence and hope you don't feel obligated to move off your post.

If you've not reached "reasonable grounds" to focus on BM, surveillance, and press charges then nothing wrong with waiting to see the DA's case. MOO
Thanks. Truth is you guys here are intelligent posters and a lot have real experience to speak from. I’m just hanging out trying to believe he’s a good guy. But where is Suzanne?
I would be screaming!

Something I keep thinking... Would a bike that was thrown into a ravine land differently than a bike that was knocked off the road into the ravine? Would the trajectory be different? And, if so, is that something too subtle to have been their first indication of foul play?

JMO, my plan is to defend BM innocence on odd days , guilt on even...
This is the 3rd...
While murderers may hide their victims in familiar and nearby places, why stage accident near home?

My next 5 ? DBM potential for BM sleuthing...questions LE should have, but they are being selfish and not sharing,.

If BM were innocent, taking off guard by girls’ call, could he have felt that having girls check w/ neighbor would reassure them...had he already or did he then call SM and get no response, and that caused him to worry! Would he have tried to keep narrative calm until he got home?
Who brought lion attack into the search?
What lead to discovery of a bike down in ravine. IOW Where exactly did that search originate from? House outward? How far from that supposed bike incident to a place a vehicle could be tucked away.
Any neighbors away for a period of time? House sitter?
How many houses in a 5 mile area w/ house the center.
Hiking the only access for the national wildlife area? Known sex offenders in the Salinas area, Chaffee County? Where?
What might regular bikers know?
Why break apart a beautiful family?
First video scripted to include every possible scenario.
He appeared blindsided, totally not in control, any basic phrasing from someone else... public affection not easy for some!

Facial and body language? I could and will follow up on the suggested books and articles to hone my skills, I kinda want to see where I stand now to have a reference for improvement.

I sense BM has gotten to a moment of despair in the 2nd video, he is limping, easy to injure oneself in rough areas.
It did not take much empathy to get him talking, but the conversation may have begun with BM suspicion of anyone in the area. Even an innocent person would have storyline of known facts memorized, lack of sleep and stress might make it harder to remember all details, pause to add days up that she has been missing, bike info, even tho he might criticize LE , he might still not go against their direction, he was not selling his innocence, just second guessing everyone and everything, just like we are doing...

Other questions probably fall on even/ guilty days
JMO

Last edited:
Standoffish = aloof, distant, remote, detached... Sounds like an introvert. Definitely not a synonym for controlling.
found it
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT].
ETA - fix link
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
"controlling"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members