Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you called 911 in Denver and explained the situation I am sure they would get you through to the proper authority. I think the only thing we do know is that BM did not call the police.

He would look up Chaffee County Sheriff, he's a fireman, this isn't new to him. He didn't want to make the call IMO.

I've been in the position to need to call for emergency responder from afar and although I've called the neighbor for immediate access, I've also called the party in need's best friend or pastor to also go to the residence since that's the person who knows all the personal stats such as birthdate, current Rx, med history, etc., for responders/police that the neighbor does not have knowledge of.

I may be wrong but I don't get the feeling that the neighbor was a close family friend and I think it was an incredible burden for her to be placed in this position to report her neighbor missing -- especially given the result. (LE actually traveled to Maysville to formally take missing person report from the neighbor).

I agree -- BM wanted nothing to do with contact LE. I mentioned earlier that there's know a 911-text option that would only require BM to know the assigned code for his county which goes direct to the dispatch as if he dialed 911 from his own home. (Same code is what would enable the Denver 911 operator to put him through to Chaffee County). MOO

found it
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
I don't think this is the right link. I can't find controlling in it.

That is actually what is bothering me the most. I am from a small town, and if he was in the fire department, I would expect him to text someone he knew in LE or the fire dept. to go check out his house and see if his wife is around/OK before he called 911. I mean I don't know exactly how it went down but I know personally it would be a while before I called 911; after my friend went to check, after a local family member went to check etc...
Exactly - i'm in a not so small town and this is what we would do...

Something I keep thinking... Would a bike that was thrown into a ravine land differently than a bike that was knocked off the road into the ravine? Would the trajectory be different? And, if so, is that something too subtle to have been their first indication of foul play?
I think it had to be more than that. They not only appear to have quickly determined this to be foul play, but they seemed to know it wasn’t committed by a random perpetrator.

I think they had evidence she never rode her bike there, but I’m not sure if the bike itself told them that.

It appears "been in charge of what happens" may be shortened to, "he's controlling."

One of the things professionals who investigate cases learn is to take themselves out of the equation and look at what is normal for the people actually involved or affected. What were their routines, what did they do (which is not necessarily what others would do).

Projecting one's own values, habits, behaviors, and beliefs onto a situation and onto others creates complications that are unnecessary and can make investigating that much harder.

We all view the world from our own lenses, but criminal investigators, as well as behavior analysts, know better than to do that.

Last edited:
I think it was the church in IN? @Seattle1 has been assisting with the media thread -
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
I will go check
ETA
"Parsons noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.” Still, Parsons said he never noticed any trouble between the husband and wife."
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
ETA2
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

I think you have it covered @oviedo unless you want to add the altercation on Job with another Contractor where BM opted for a diversion program. MOO

From the link:

"The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling. “He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said."

When I first read that, I wondered if it had more to do with being practical, while she went through her first round of cancer & treatments, and then as she went through it again. When my late husband was first diagnosed with his cancer, I had to literally take over everything, and indeed, be in charge of everything (kids, bills, business, his trips to the medical center, scrip refills, appointments, etc.). I suppose it's possible her relative just thought he was controlling and it had nothing to do with someone needing to take over while she went through the 2 different fights with cancer.

jmo

<modsnip>

The spouse is out of town when the event happens.
Security cameras at the house - not working, don't have them?
Focus of LE investigation and digging up worksite.
Nothing from the daughters and they don't appear to be around. (a little unfair because they may just not want to go public)

If he is innocent and telling the truth, his behavior seems reasonable. If I came home with my spouse missing and the bike in a ravine and damaged. The possibilities would be abduction, hit by a car, single bike accident (although I think there would be evidence), and animal attack. That's about all I would have and would have to cling to them while trying to find them. If LE was focusing their investigation on me, I'd be annoyed. I would be out searching in the rain and getting wet.

I actually think a lot of his behavior is what a lot of people would do. I've seen a lot of boyfriends/husbands accused and it turned out being false. I'm not going to do that because it just makes a bad situation a little worse.

Real facts - SM is missing and LE found some item of hers.

Okay so Barry was working on a Sunday. When you are in construction, it happens a lot. Working on Mother’s Day? No big deal to me. She is not his mother.

If the girls were actually coming home to spend the day with her, she might have enjoyed having him gone.

The security cameras not working at home?Is this fact or rumor? Okay let’s say it’s a fact. Maybe it horrified Barry and so he immediately had them repaired when he returned home. I would buy that.

Police focusing on Barry? Sure. That’s logical. He is the husband.

Girls being gone? Why do they need to be home? After all, they were coming in for Mother’s Day.

Girls not speaking to public or asking for help? I’m stumped on that. Maybe they are terrified. I would have talked to every media outlet...I think. But who can say?

LE digging up worksite? Why? If tip was supposed to be strong, it was a bad tip as nothing was found. Expensive too.

Did he have a girlfriend? Where is she?

Mayville and Salida are small towns. Is anyone talking? Do they support him? Or no?

One thing that makes me feel good about the investigation is that the sheriff had an impressive resume and he immediately called in the CBI and FBI (I think).

I’m starting to doubt my doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmm?! Nope, this one will be solved.
Eventually, some of them are found. Areas that were searched over and over again by LE, SAR, etc as well as family and friend searches produced no results. Yet, some years later bones are found and articles of clothing for a few of the victims, without explanation as to how they got there. Many haven't been found and disappeared without a trace.

Not saying of course that this happened to Suzanne- at least I hope not!

At least one movie, several episodes on tv crime series... I had just moved to Columbia and had recently read Red Dragon ( prequel to SOL) the book made a deep impression on me, and when Helmick was taken, I KNEW it was a serial, even tho local LE wasn’t saying so. I am confident I saw and noted his would be next victim at CAE airport, and this was later confirmed. The probability is on BM, but I am going to look back on that case. The sicko played w/ Sharis family, calling to speak to Dawn, etc. Incredible family, such a tragedy!
There are similarities in this caseIMO
Yes, that's the movie I remember. He kept taunting the family and Shari was dead the whole time.

I think they had evidence she never rode her bike there, but I’m not sure if the bike itself told them that.

I agree it had to be something that shifted LE focus a certain way which led up to the concrete slab being tore up at the one search location.

It happened pretty quickly so it may have been that extra personal item they found.

I tend to think it was something about the bicycle. Here are some things that would automatically make me realize she did not ride the bike that day if I saw the scene like this:

1-*A small disc brake lock was attached to the bicycle that prevented one of the wheels from even turning. The perp may have been unaware it was even attached since some of them are very small.

Top 8 Disc Brake Locks of 2020 | Video Review

2-*The bicycle had clip-on pedals and she only owned one pair of the special cleated shoes that work hand-in-hand and those shoes were at home still.

3-*The bicycle had some previous damage that made it unrideable and one of the other close family members knew the bike was not rideable or fixed yet.

Anything like that would have been a huge red flag to LE.

Last edited:
I am interested in knowing if anyone can list FACTS that Barry is guilty. See, I am riding that fence of guilty/not guilty. I read all the comments and the “What Ifs”. LE has said only that Suzanne Morphew is missing and this is now a criminal investigation. Okay.

And from reading WS, I realize the husband must be looked at carefully. But still, there isn’t a squeak out of LE.

About a week ago there was a huge rumor on SM and I was ready to hang BM. As it turned out, it was totally false.

So now, instead of hypotheses, I would like to know what facts you all have so I can get off the fence. You don’t have to respond, of course. But it would be nice if you would help me.:D
I’m game!

I have no facts whatsoever that BM is guilty. I also have no facts whatsoever that BM is not guilty. And there’s that!

What I see is the direction LE have taken in this investigation. Shutting BM out of his home for a week, taking his truck and phone, digging up his work and not giving him the “all clear,” good to go. They never issued a BOLO with a description of SM, her bike or clothing. Strange behaviour if they actually believed a kidnapping, abduction occurred ala BM’s theories.

What I also see is BM “hanging his hat” on SM’s bike and the narrative he is spinning, actually three possibilities, none of which LE seem interested in pursuing, at the moment. BM’s theories all involve the bike and nothing but the bike, while LE are mum on it. That makes me suspicious of the bike story and therefore BM. JMHO

I think you have it covered @oviedo unless you want to add the altercation on Job with another Contractor where BM opted for a diversion program. MOO
Yeah can we discuss that guy? He sure was media happy. Seems like he should have saved his interview for LE only. Since he is also running for office, I doubt him a bit.
Speaking of, the primaries here were yesterday. I wonder if he won?
I don’t doubt the altercation occurred but we only heard his side, over and over and over.

It appears "been in charge of what happens" may be shortened to, "he's controlling."

One of the things professionals who investigate cases learn is to take themselves out of the equation and look at what is normal for the people actually involved or affected. What were their routines, what did they do (which is not necessarily what others would do).

Projecting one's own values, habits, behaviors, and beliefs onto a situation and onto others creates complications that are unnecessary and can make investigating that much harder.

We all view the world from our own lenses, but criminal investigators, as well as behavior analysts, know better than to do that.
BBM
"The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

I agree it had to be something that shifted LE focus a certain way which led up to the pavement being tore up.

It happened pretty quickly so it may have been that extra personal item they found.

I tend to think it was something about the bicycle. Here are some things that would automatically make me realize she did not ride the bike that day if I saw the scene like this:

1-*A small disc brake lock was attached to the bicycle that prevented one of the wheels from even turning. The perp may have been unaware it was even attached since some of them are very small.

Top 8 Disc Brake Locks of 2020 | Video Review

2-*The bicycle had clip-on pedals and she only owned one pair of the special cleated shoes that work hand-in-hand and those shoes were at home still.

3-*The bicycle had some previous damage that made it unrideable and one of the other close family members knew the bike was not rideable or fixed yet.

Anything like that would have been a huge red flag to LE.
Did you say LE tore up the pavement? I don’t remember that. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkme