MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Eric Garner in 2014 (another positional asphyxia case) was repeating "I can not breathe" and finally, died. From Wiki "With multiple officers pinning him down, Garner repeated the words "I can't breathe" 11 times while lying face down on the sidewalk."

Thank you for bringing Eric Garner’s name forward. Mr. Garner’s WS thread is here for anyone interested:

NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

Last edited:
Thread is open again.

Do not bring the protests and any other political discussion to this thread.

Also a reminder that Websleuths is and always has been victim friendly. Mr. George Floyd is the victim in this tragedy. His present and future were stolen from him and he most certainly did NOT deserve to die based on his past.

Posts that are politicizing or victim blaming will result in permanent Thread Reply Bans.

Yes, any past criminal record or history of drug use is not relevant to this case.

George Floyd was calm and cooperative when police first arrived. He did not resist being handcuffed, he thanked the officers when they sat him down. Even at that point there were signs that he was not well. None of this would have happened if the officers has just treated his condition as a medical emergency and called for help right away.

The fact that any suspect has a criminal history is not an excuse for police brutality. I haven't seen any evidence that he had a history of aggression or violence, either.

Every call should be treated the same way. Police shouldn't make assumptions based on a suspects past record. That alone is biased thinking.

Imo

Yes, because apprehension by the police, strictly speaking, is for public safety. The way Floyd behaved, he was not a danger to the public. (I think he simply did not feel well at first, and later, was afraid to remain in Chauvin’s car, and for a good reason). But he was neither resisting arrest, nor a public threat.

MOD NOTE:
Please keep the discussion on this thread specifically about the crime of murder committed against George Floyd. While the story of Minneapolis city council voting to “******” the police department is related, that debate would be for another thread altogether as it would take the focus off the victim here to who this thread is dedicated. Posts that discuss the general topic of diverting funds away from police departments will be removed from this thread.

Thank you for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly.

CocoChanel

Is there another thread that we can discuss these topics?
TIA

This is going to be one interesting trial. So many questions. Will he plea? Take a jury or request a bench trial?

And just think, this could be a groundbreaking case in that there is no statute of limitations on murder. I've already hear about one additional manslaughter case in NM due to police brutality. How many more will follow?

Yeah, what are they gonna do? Call the police?! Completely senseless. Scary that Chauvin had been policing for the last 18 years!
The only other option would be to physically try to stop Chauvin. That could have ended with the witness's being injured or killed.

Not a good idea. This defense attorney will have to try something else because common sense tell us that the witness's did everything they could to intervene and prevent the senseless death of George Floyd.

Statements like that made in front of a jury will backfire and make them doubt anything the defense lawyer say's as being sincere. JMO

The attorney for one of the officer's charged in George Floyd's death says that if the public is so concerned about Floyd's death, why didn't any citizen witnessing the incident intervene.

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1270171593407422464?s=20

My goodness, that's about the stupidest statement I've heard yet! He's only doing his job I guess, but wow, that's a reach. If the whole situation wasn't so tragic, it'd be laughable.

My goodness, that's about the stupidest statement I've heard yet! He's only doing his job I guess, but wow, that's a reach. If the whole situation wasn't so tragic, it'd be laughable.
If you watch the video, near the end of the clip when he’s called out on his garbage “don’t you think that’s asking too much of the civilians and not enough of your client?” And the Lawyer answers “Absolutely”. It’s almost surreal. If someone showed me that clip and I had no knowledge of what had happened, I wouldn’t believe that was a real interview, I’d assume it was a scene from a parody or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member