CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

rbbm.
Golden State Killer suspect agrees to guilty plea in a deal that spares him death penalty
''Many sources who were notified about the legal arrangement said they were specifically required to not disclose the deal to the media. Nor are any legal motions outlining the plea deal required to be filed in court prior to the June 29 court date.

Sources said DeAngelo has also agreed to admit to scores of crimes for which he is not charged, including rapes, for which the statute of limitations has expired.''

“It’s pragmatic. This makes sense. It is efficient. It is cost-effective. It is ultimately where we were going to end,” said Jennifer Carole, whose father, Lyman Smith, was among those murdered.

But Carole has been in tears since learning there will be no chance to see DeAngelo face evidence against him in court. “So what is justice for that? I’m sitting with that [question] every damn day,” she said.

“It’s a step forward ... but it’s not what I was hoping for,” said Kris Pedretti, one of the earliest victims who was 15 when she raped in 1976.

“I already know he raped me, that he was guilty,” Pedretti said, “but my deeper feeling is, ‘Why?’ What is so important that he does not want shown in trial that he is willing to do this?...What is it that he doesn’t want to be known?”

“I’m grateful he’s been caught, but the fact of the matter is he’s already lived a full life,” said Victor Hayes, who was 21 when he and his 17-year-old girlfriend were attacked while in bed one night in September 1977, in a suburb east of Sacramento.''

That sounds like a bad deal for the victims, but a good deal for lazy California prosecutors.

That sounds like a bad deal for the victims, but a good deal for lazy California prosecutors.
It's not about lazy. It's more about the millions of dollars it would have ended up costing the multiple counties to prosecute this. After he was arrested, there were a number of news stories talking about the depth of the prosecution and counties discussing where they would even get the money from.

Plus--his attorney. Is she private or public defender? I'm thinking public defender, but I don't recall. If so, we're paying for that too.

I still have bad memories about a case I worked on a good 20 years ago. 3000 victims, over $10 million in financial losses. After everything was put together, the prosecutor decided not to prosecute due to "budgetary constraints." Sometimes it's just about the money.

A police source previously told PEOPLE the man was caught through “sophisticated” DNA analysis. In 2018, before DeAngelo's arrest, authorities surveilled him and recovered “discarded DNA” that allegedly confirmed the suspect’s connection to the killings.

Golden State Killer Suspect Agrees to Plead Guilty, Will Be Spared Death Penalty: Reports
And they've been swabbing his cheeks like crazy now that he's captured. I'm sure they've run it against a thousand rape kits and other incidents that weren't previously connected to him. I suspect the majority of new charges will be rapes, but I will be really interested to learn if there are any murders in there, too, and if the charges are more recent than 1986.

Joseph DeAngelo's wife's brother, James Huddle, has written a book to be released on June 30th, called Killers Keep Secrets: The Golden State Killer's Other Life. He talks about things he saw over the years that, looking back, were red flags--if he'd been looking for any.

The book looks like it would be interesting--I've already reserved my copy.

I've preordered my copy as well. I hope to learn where JJD lived during the '80s and a lot more about him in general.

https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Keep..._1_53?dchild=1&qid=1591998037&s=books&sr=1-53

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a double post. I preordered this book as well. I hope we find out more about JJD. I'd really like to know where he was living during the '80s.

I wouldn't call them lazy - they sure saved the State a ton of money....
Plus there was a very good chance he would die of old age before they could even present all the mounds of evidence to a jury. If that happened then there would be no guilty verdicts or pleas. The cases would just go away. It’s not perfect justice but at least they know who did it and that he will die in prison a convicted man.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a double post. I preordered this book as well. I hope we find out more about JJD. I'd really like to know where he was living during the '80s.
Yes! I'm hoping we can get a better timeline. Weren't there previous posts asking about where he was at certain times, or where he worked? This might answer that.

Plus there was a very good chance he would die of old age before they could even present all the mounds of evidence to a jury. If that happened then there would be no guilty verdicts or pleas. The cases would just go away. It’s not perfect justice but at least they know who did it and that he will die in prison a convicted man.

I was just about to say the same thing ...... he is already looking old and feeble and is doubtful he could survive all the court cases that would take years to complete. (The old and feeble could also just be an act .... they say he was in top shape when arrested))

Best we can hope for is he confesses to everything including any crimes nobody knew he committed.

I would find a psychiatric report interesting as to "the why" of his crimes ..... when he was a young boy (10) in Germany he watched his young sister (7) get raped by men on an airbase ..... that would mess with anyone's mind

I was just about to say the same thing ...... he is already looking old and feeble and is doubtful he could survive all the court cases that would take years to complete. (The old and feeble could also just be an act .... they say he was in top shape when arrested))

Best we can hope for is he confesses to everything including any crimes nobody knew he committed.

I would find a psychiatric report interesting as to "the why" of his crimes ..... when he was a young boy (10) in Germany he watched his young sister (7) get raped by men on an airbase ..... that would mess with anyone's mind
See, I don't know that I think it would mess with anyone. Age 10, if I saw that I would find it horrific. Rape isn't about sex, it's power and violence. I wouldn't think there's something to it worth pursuing for myself. He didn't target children, but he was still committing pedophilia rapes against 15-year-olds. There must have already been something conditioned in him and not totally right.

So does this mean those very private photos of D'Angelo taken in jail will not see the light of day, wonder if he would be relieved about that or not?
speculation.

See, I don't know that I think it would mess with anyone. Age 10, if I saw that I would find it horrific. Rape isn't about sex, it's power and violence. I wouldn't think there's something to it worth pursuing for myself. He didn't target children, but he was still committing pedophilia rapes against 15-year-olds. There must have already been something conditioned in him and not totally right.

I would like to know what his family life was like growing up. I knew about the sister but I bet that was just the tip of the iceberg. No doubt one cannot place blame anywhere other than squarely on his shoulders but I have a feeling that he didn’t have an idyllic childhood. Maybe his brother in law’s book will reveal some of it?

I would like to know what his family life was like growing up. I knew about the sister but I bet that was just the tip of the iceberg. No doubt one cannot place blame anywhere other than squarely on his shoulders but I have a feeling that he didn’t have an idyllic childhood. Maybe his brother in law’s book will reveal some of it?
If we are to assume that all killers are created and not born, and we subscribe to the belief that certain developmental milestones—at a very young age—are necessary for normal cognitive and social-emotional growth and attachments to others, then something must have gone wrong for him age 1 or 2 from the caregivers that was reinforced by an absence of care/support, especially given what he witnessed. Was his father abusive? Was his mother abusive?

You can look at Bundy as a case where his earliest, earliest development was distressed given his "unwanted" birth, the potential for incest to have been true, probable negligence from his mother, abuse, and the resentment he felt toward his mother and absent father. His grandfather was a role model in his eyes but then reports say that role model was abusive and violent. His attachments in development may have shaped him to see this domineering, tyrannical male figure as something to aspire to rather than fear given that he resented not having a father. This also instilled a hatred of women in him, especially as he seemed socially unskilled. It's not insignificant that by age 3 he reportedly did disturbing things like show up with knives next to his aunt's bed and smirk. That's behaviorally abnormal unless exposed to extreme violence/neglect/stress.

But. Here's the thing. Evidence suggests there are some killers who are born. There was nothing to indicate Eric Harris of Columbine would aspire to psychopathic murder but all signs point to a very organized, smart aspiring killer who had no environmental indicators for violence. The same is true of Dennis Rader and Randy Kraft. Which begs the question, can the sensation of detachment in adolescence or even adulthood drive "normal brains" toward detached killing? It's possible GSK might fit that profile more than someone who had a traumatic upbringing. Isn't it that most serial killers are disorganized and fringe of society and therefore not typically able to socially fit in for the college experience?

Someone I know actually saw him in person just before the lockdown. There were no cameras, no audience--just him leaving where you sit when you have a visitor to go back to your cell.

She said he looked horrible and was truly surprised that the guard didn't take hold of him to help him. So he's either gone downhill or is acting 24/7.

I wouldn't be surprised if when this part is over, and the deal is done in his terms that he perks up and starts looking better.

rbbm.
Golden State Killer suspect agrees to guilty plea in a deal that spares him death penalty
''Many sources who were notified about the legal arrangement said they were specifically required to not disclose the deal to the media. Nor are any legal motions outlining the plea deal required to be filed in court prior to the June 29 court date.

Sources said DeAngelo has also agreed to admit to scores of crimes for which he is not charged, including rapes, for which the statute of limitations has expired.''

“It’s pragmatic. This makes sense. It is efficient. It is cost-effective. It is ultimately where we were going to end,” said Jennifer Carole, whose father, Lyman Smith, was among those murdered.

But Carole has been in tears since learning there will be no chance to see DeAngelo face evidence against him in court. “So what is justice for that? I’m sitting with that [question] every damn day,” she said.

“It’s a step forward ... but it’s not what I was hoping for,” said Kris Pedretti, one of the earliest victims who was 15 when she raped in 1976.

“I already know he raped me, that he was guilty,” Pedretti said, “but my deeper feeling is, ‘Why?’ What is so important that he does not want shown in trial that he is willing to do this?...What is it that he doesn’t want to be known?”

“I’m grateful he’s been caught, but the fact of the matter is he’s already lived a full life,” said Victor Hayes, who was 21 when he and his 17-year-old girlfriend were attacked while in bed one night in September 1977, in a suburb east of Sacramento.''

This makes me so dang sad for his victims and their families. Victor Hayes is right--JJD did go on to live a full life.

I listened to Jennifer Carole's podcast this morning, and she seemed so deeply disheartened by this turn of events.

One good thing is that the victims and family members will be allowed to make Victim Impact Statements in open court during the month of August. I'm thankful that they'll have that opportunity.

Here's a link to her podcast if anyone needs it:
‎The Lawyer's Daughter | The Golden State Killer: June 15, 2020 | DeAngelo is Taking a Plea on Apple Podcasts

Listening to Jennifer Carole's podcast this morning, she said that JJD is confessing to Claude Snelling's murder. So, it was true after all. He was indeed the Visalia Ransacker.

More of what the prosecution knows will finally see the light of day after the plea.

If you haven't heard Jenn's podcast here is the link: ‎The Lawyer's Daughter | The Golden State Killer: June 15, 2020 | DeAngelo is Taking a Plea on Apple Podcasts

So does this mean those very private photos of D'Angelo taken in jail will not see the light of day, wonder if he would be relieved about that or not?
speculation.
I'm sure that someone will release these pictures at some point in time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back