Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also had no information about WHERE these searches were/are. Could be close to home, could be...hmmm...somewhat closer to a major city in CO? ;)

IMO, a Sheriff cannot simply go search outside their own county. There are rules of jurisdictions and searches to be filed across agencies.

Until I see LE or MSM announcing that such is happening, I am very skeptical. It's extremely difficult to do without each agency justifying and announcing its doings.

Feisty..I always seems to be negating your posts but I want to say I do enjoy reading all of your ideas and appreciate your perspective. In the end, I hope you are right.
Thank you! Yes, wouldn’t it be lovely to have just one happy family to sleuth?, but even that would be so sad if SM doesn’t come home safely. Miracles do happen, I know how rare they are, but I continue to hope, and yes, I pray. I’m really not a contrarian, believe it or not?! lol

Spontaneous random thought .... as BM was going to Denver on the Sunday, Mothers Day, h'mm, could he have suggested "why don't we celebrate Mother's Day today (Saturday) because I'll be working tomorrow, I'll take you out hiking, we'll make a day of it .... go for a bit of a drive", and went on a trip where only one returned. Pure speculation and hypothetical in the extreme, of course. Mad random thought, and yet ...................
Edit to add: Oooh, just on p.2 reading posts, same idea speculated by Blue Amethyst - yes, the car ... maybe there is an unknown car, so LE would have a lot of CTV to get through to figure things out if that is the case, lot of work
That scenario has crossed my mind too and it’s every bit as plausible as any other speculation. If he did that, he falls into the PF category in my books. Deceiving her into believing all is well and then WHAM! Devil incarnate if he lured her away under false pretences to take her life. :(. Nevertheless, if he did it at home, he’s a monster regardless.

ITA with your post, and I'd add another possibility might be the Juliana Furtado due to Suzanne's size/frame. Big money for these types and the riders take it seriously, as I believe she did.

It's not her bike. No way LE let Barry and friends (banned from searching) have that piece of evidence.

But yes, there are really cool bikes owned by local bike searchers.

The concept, IMO, of LE handling the bike (& according to a certain person's story the last known activity of the missing person, who's bike that is...) in a 'casual' manner & thereby destroying evidence is preposterous
Not so. Police agencies & sheriff's offices do not always handle pieces of evidence meticulously. Sometimes officers may not even know that an item found in the field is a piece of evidence. In other circumstances, the evidence cannot be handled appropriately because of other pressing needs (i.e. debris on a roadway endangering drivers). I'm not saying that unintentional evidence destruction actually occurred in this case but it remains a possibility.

IMO, a Sheriff cannot simply go search outside their own county. There are rules of jurisdictions and searches to be filed across agencies.

Until I see LE or MSM announcing that such is happening, I am very skeptical. It's extremely difficult to do without each agency justifying and announcing its doings.
It is fairly easy in Colorado, but the responsibility for a search depends a lot on which county the crime being investigated is believed to have happened in.
For an example, in the investigation of the Gannon Stauch disappearance turned murder investigation, El Paso County Sheriff's detectives searched deep with Douglas county. There was no involvement of the Douglas county force, other than notifying them of the instrusion. It has since been revealed in unsealed affidavits that LE believe, and intend to prove, that the crime happened in El Paso county. IMO

Not so. Police agencies & sheriff's offices do not always handle pieces of evidence meticulously. Sometimes officers may not even know that an item found in the field is a piece of evidence. In other circumstances, the evidence cannot be handled appropriately because of other pressing needs (i.e. debris on a roadway endangering drivers). I'm not saying that unintentional evidence destruction actually occurred in this case but it remains a possibility.
Since this started as a person missing from a bike ride, wouldnt the bike be the most critical piece of evidence at that point? I realize its possible they didnt handle it appropriately, but is it likely? Also, is it possible they took prints, etc., before they moved it?

bbm
Would LE be checking the vehicle rentals in the area ?
So a possible car that seemed out of place ?
This is an open and ongoing investigation so just about any and every movement of BM is or has been scrutinized.

LE haven't moved on from him, either.
To focus on another person might indicate that BM has been cleared and it doesn't look like this has happened.

So, no sidepiece or fellow conspirator ?
Plus as another valuable member put it ; (paraphrased by me) "BM seems like a guy who would prefer to work on his own."

Speculation : Did BM rent a car so as to not have any scent evidence in his or Suzanne's car/truck ?
It wouldn't be unheard of.
Imo.
Tee Stauch used rentals to cover her tracks.
It didn't go so well for her....

BLM's alibi either stood up, or it didn't. That has nothing to do with investigation of any other person that might become a POI. IMO

Maybe. I’d think there would be at least a picture of a suspicious vehicle released by now if that were the case.
MOO
OK, most TV criminals know how to ditch the first car and disappear in anonymous car. How do you BOLO anonymous? One of my earlier theories(yes they evolve) was that early on, LE found an abandoned car with evidence of Suzanne. I haven’t given up on my RV aspect, but this actually could narrow search, concentrate on those that aren’t pulled by another vehicle. There is a term, but I don’t know it? So BG=Bad Guy, snatches her in suspicious vehicle, transfers her to RV and drives off into the afternoon. They are gone, before anyone misses them. Quite a head start, but I still believe they are somewhere close and familiar. I can’t give up on the RV park as a point to spy on the Ms, the trails are just too obvious. JMO
And no, I do not think he went back to that RV park, I believe he is in an area he has lived in before, close and familiar. He knew exactly where he was going. Imo

Since this started as a person missing from a bike ride, wouldnt the bike be the most critical piece of evidence at that point? I realize its possible they didnt handle it appropriately, but is it likely? Also, is it possible they took prints, etc., before they moved it?

I think the bike would be critical if and only if there's still forensic evidence that Suzanne was on it (patterns of trace DNA, fingerprints...)

If there are several people's DNA on the bike or no fingerprints at all (almost no biker wears their gloves the entire time they're riding and most use fingerless gloves, IME, on rides when it's warm outside - although many wear no gloves at all...)

We have no evidence that she intended to actually go up a mountain trail on her bike, as opposed to what I do (a similarly aged woman, I guess), which is have a delightful time riding around on relatively flat dirt roads and side roads...

Oddly, no one has come forward to say what Suzanne was like, where she usually went on her bike. If no one knows, that's very sad. In fact, if that's true, I'd certainly rethink the depression angle, if I were LE.

We now know that the bike was found on Sunday night. One hundred personnel were involved in the searches Monday and Tuesday. CBGI and FBI personnel joined the search Wednesday morning.
Anything is possible, including returning it to storage in SM's garage while they searched for her. IMO
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

I think the bike would be critical if and only if there's still forensic evidence that Suzanne was on it (patterns of trace DNA, fingerprints...)

If there are several people's DNA on the bike or no fingerprints at all (almost no biker wears their gloves the entire time they're riding and most use fingerless gloves, IME, on rides when it's warm outside - although many wear no gloves at all...)

We have no evidence that she intended to actually go up a mountain trail on her bike, as opposed to what I do (a similarly aged woman, I guess), which is have a delightful time riding around on relatively flat dirt roads and side roads...

Oddly, no one has come forward to say what Suzanne was like, where she usually went on her bike. If no one knows, that's very sad. In fact, if that's true, I'd certainly rethink the depression angle, if I were LE.

Many people know, but they appear to be sharing their knowledge with LE and are universally not interested in talking to the media. IMO

BLM's alibi either stood up, or it didn't. That has nothing to do with investigation of any other person that might become a POI. IMO
Hmmm.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there; my opinion only (which may or may not withstand further scrutiny :oops: ).

If LE have anyone else in their sites it could have a lot to do with the investigation, either now or later on.
If BM's alibi was sound --that doesn't mean he didn't have help.

And an investigation involving one or more persons can run concurrently or consecutively.
It could be that we'll all be surprised by what is uncovered in the search for what happened to Suzanne.

I for one wish that she was gone of her own volition and was safe but obviously in hiding somewhere.
But I strongly doubt she'd let her girls suffer. :(
Very much so !

Last edited:

Respectfully, there is absolutely nothing that I am getting in my 'gut' that tells me this was a depressed woman. The love that she clearly shows in the natural, joyful smile in the picture with her daughters stands out in particular. That love that I am seeing for her children would quite literally prohibit her from self-harm, she is radiant in that pic, far more than any other. The pride, the joy, cannot be faked. This is an 'allegedly' Christian woman as well, that most likely believes that suicide is a grave sin and the gates of hell would be waiting. IMO only obviously, but a cancer survivor, mom of two beautiful daughters in the prime of their lives, does not off themselves. Those are the people that have absolutely everything to live for. Those are the people that decide they are not going to waste another day of their life and do something meaningful. Not that we can rule it out of course, but zero, zilch, nada in my own personal gut says that any sort of depression on the part of SM is relative.

OK, most TV criminals know how to ditch the first car and disappear in anonymous car. How do you BOLO anonymous? One of my earlier theories(yes they evolve) was that early on, LE found an abandoned car with evidence of Suzanne. I haven’t given up on my RV aspect, but this actually could narrow search, concentrate on those that aren’t pulled by another vehicle. There is a term, but I don’t know it? So BG=Bad Guy, snatches her in suspicious vehicle, transfers her to RV and drives off into the afternoon. They are gone, before anyone misses them. Quite a head start, but I still believe they are somewhere close and familiar. I can’t give up on the RV park as a point to spy on the Ms, the trails are just too obvious. JMO
And no, I do not think he went back to that RV park, I believe he is in an area he has lived in before, close and familiar. He knew exactly where he was going. Imo
Indeed Feistyomi ..... and we could take it up a notch and have the anonymous car compacted (never to be seen again), and fake number plates .... or maybe just the fake plates .... but wait, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away here ...... I'm also interested in the RV Park, if there's no security at either end, one could just slip in the exit and out the front entrance undetected, a lot of possibilities really.

I never prosecuted or defended a no-body case, but my belief is that they are indeed difficult to prosecute. The defense attorney has a built-in argument in such cases: Ladies & gentlemen, we don't even have a guarantee that the alleged victim is truly deceased!

Because the burden is on the government to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, a ready-made argument for the defense is always a tough -- though not insurmountable -- hill for the state to climb.

Which is why we don’t see those cases filed unless they’re pretty iron clad.

Hmmm.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there; my opinion only (which may or may not withstand further scrutiny :oops: ).

If LE have anyone else in their sites it could have a lot to do with the investigation, either now or later on.
If BM's alibi was sound --that doesn't mean he didn't have help.

And an investigation involving one or more persons can run concurrently or consecutively.
It could be that we'll all be surprised by what is uncovered in the search for what happened to Suzanne.

I for one wish that she was gone of her own volition and was safe but obviously in hiding somewhere.
But I strongly doubt she'd let her girls suffer. :(
Very much so !

BBM:

If nobody other than BM saw or spoke with SM on Sunday, May 10th, any alibi he has for Sunday is not going to be enough to clear him.

I do not think SM disappeared on Sunday, May 10th.

I think she was already gone by then.

In every sense of the word.

JMO.

It is fairly easy in Colorado, but the responsibility for a search depends a lot on which county the crime being investigated is believed to have happened in.
For an example, in the investigation of the Gannon Stauch disappearance turned murder investigation, El Paso County Sheriff's detectives searched deep with Douglas county. There was no involvement of the Douglas county force, other than notifying them of the instrusion. It has since been revealed in unsealed affidavits that LE believe, and intend to prove, that the crime happened in El Paso county. IMO
IMO Douglas County was more involved than we knew at the time in the Stauch case. Also, Fremont County and Jefferson County ( which we never heard about) and even Pueblo County and Pueblo PD was thanked at the PC announcing her arrest. I still haven’t seen how, in any affidavits , that Pueblo was involved. As they say “ it will all come out at trial “.

But ITA with you that El Paso County has full jurisdiction over the crime and I remember them stressing that when MSM questioned them about how “ this all works” as we learned about the tangled web that LS wove
( Colorado, South Carolina, Florida).

I have never followed a case as closely as that one because, first of all Gannon’s sweet face, and second of all I live less than 10 miles from where he once lived.

Arrest Made in Gannon Stauch Case
On March 2, 2020, at approximately 8:04 AM, MST, El Paso County Sheriff's Office Detectives, FBI Agents, and members from the El Paso County 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office arrested Letecia Stauch (DOB 08/04/1983) in Horry County, South Carolina.
SEARCH PARTNERS:

Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Colorado Springs Fire Department

Colorado Springs Police Department

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

FBI (Evidence Response Team)

Fountain Police Department

El Paso County Public Works

Emergency Incident Support

Flight for Life (searching purposes only)

Fremont County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)

Pikes Peak Office of Emergency Management

Tri-Lakes Fire Department

U.S. Army (multiple units - volunteers)

U.S. National Guard 100th Missile Defense Brigade (volunteers)

Arrest Made in Gannon Stauch Case

Indeed Feistyomi ..... and we could take it up a notch and have the anonymous car compacted (never to be seen again), and fake number plates .... or maybe just the fake plates .... but wait, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away here ...... I'm also interested in the RV Park, if there's no security at either end, one could just slip in the exit and out the front entrance undetected, a lot of possibilities really.
Once you allow the possibility that BM might be that .01 %, spouse, yes that’s correct, innocent spouse whose wife is missing, then you are forced to find the actual culprit.
IE if he didn’t stage bike,
Then who did? BG=Bad Guy.
Why there? because he had observed her biking routine.
How?
The maps, all the info, especially @DaveF pins on the maps, etc.
The RV park is perfect for observation, and the connecting trails to the road. Drones, telescope, biking on trail etc. But no, he did NOT stay at the RV park afterwards, he had hours to drive to somewhere close and familiar.
DBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member