Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

If he was on the Euclid Bridge or the Wakonsa bride - you aren't just going to slip and fall in. Either you're thrown over or you're jumping in. As for him walking instead of getting a ride - it really doesn't make sense. If he was seen leaving Merle Hay Mall around 5:35PM and pinged at the tower near Broadlawns Hospital at 5:47PM, he was not walking. He could not get there that fast on foot, even if he were running. The DART buses have cameras and it does not appear that he was caught on any video, unless a camera wasn't working. There were buses leaving from the Merle Hay area to the Euclid Bridge/Wakonsa Bridge/Prospect Park areas around 5:30 PM.
So, assuming he did not take the bus, he must have been picked up by someone.

There is an Africana Restaurant on Douglas Ave right before it turns into Euclid Ave. (Douglas Ave becomes Euclid Ave, right before the bridge) The African store is very close to the Euclid Bridge (few mins walking). The Wakonsa bridge is a mile from the Africana restaurant. We met at Africana Restaurant to start one of the searches. The dogs the PI was using led to the river.
There is another African Restaurant on MLK (across the road from the Broadlawns Cell phone tower) which is .9 miles to the Wakonsa bridge.

As for honor killings, I just wanted to point out that honor killings are not Islamic (there is no basis for it in Islam and for one to be killed for an offense, the ruling has to come down from an authoritative law court, so no - family can't just decide to kill their family members to protect "honor"). Honor killings are tribal/cultural and just because they occur in Islamic countries does not mean it is a practice based in Islam.

A body has just been found in a ravine in West Des Moines....probably 10-12 miles from Merle Hay Mall? There is absolutely no info on who the person is yet, so it may not be related to Abdi or any other local missing people we have here (if whoever it is has even been reported missing).

West Des Moines police investigating after body found in ravine

That was the body of an African man, no media attention, his wife does not speak English and his autopsy results are still pending.

Very sad news. Could he have been swept into the river accidentally if the weather was so bad? Was it windy? Could he have slipped in and couldn’t get out?
Using 5:30pm as a reference point, it was windy, cold, and getting dark fast. But it’s hard for me to imagine a scenario where Abdi would unintentionally find himself nearly three miles from where he was supposed to be.

Des Moines, IA Weather History | Weather Underground

I can’t help but feel the “bad bad news” was the contributing factor. And that’s something that perhaps the family and LE may discover, but I doubt we will ever know.

Last edited:
If he was on the Euclid Bridge or the Wakonsa bride - you aren't just going to slip and fall in. Either you're thrown over or you're jumping in. As for him walking instead of getting a ride - it really doesn't make sense. If he was seen leaving Merle Hay Mall around 5:35PM and pinged at the tower near Broadlawns Hospital at 5:47PM, he was not walking. He could not get there that fast on foot, even if he were running. The DART buses have cameras and it does not appear that he was caught on any video, unless a camera wasn't working. There were buses leaving from the Merle Hay area to the Euclid Bridge/Wakonsa Bridge/Prospect Park areas around 5:30 PM.
So, assuming he did not take the bus, he must have been picked up by someone.

There is an Africana Restaurant on Douglas Ave right before it turns into Euclid Ave. (Douglas Ave becomes Euclid Ave, right before the bridge) The African store is very close to the Euclid Bridge (few mins walking). The Wakonsa bridge is a mile from the Africana restaurant. We met at Africana Restaurant to start one of the searches. The dogs the PI was using led to the river.
There is another African Restaurant on MLK (across the road from the Broadlawns Cell phone tower) which is .9 miles to the Wakonsa bridge.

As for honor killings, I just wanted to point out that honor killings are not Islamic (there is no basis for it in Islam and for one to be killed for an offense, the ruling has to come down from an authoritative law court, so no - family can't just decide to kill their family members to protect "honor"). Honor killings are tribal/cultural and just because they occur in Islamic countries does not mean it is a practice based in Islam.

Very interesting info! thank you for sharing! Just a question...I'm not sure but arent honor killings primarily targeted towards women?If so then I guess it can be ruled out. And again I find the lack of camera footage in that area very compelling. Makes you wonder if there is something dark happening in that city that we're not aware of.

Just read through this thread. I don't know how Abdi ended up in the river. I am not familiar with the area at all. And being from the Great White North I know rivers near me are usually frozen in winter 95% of the time, especially in February. The only way I might be convinced to meet near one in February during a snowstorm is if I was in a nice warm car.

I'm interested in the circumstances that led up to his death. It became clear, after the ensuing tragedy, that Abdi pretended he was working a shift at Target when he wasn't.

Most young boys I know wouldn't hang around a mall after they got off work, unless there was a really good reason. Like a girl. Especially one that perhaps his parents may have disapproved of. It would be interesting to find out whether the day he lost his life is the only day he pretended to be at work.

I wonder if his shift schedule lines up with the all days he was supposedly working. Telling a white lie might have been the only way he was able to meet someone without letting his parents know.

If I was working this case, I'd be interested in the shift schedules to see who left the same time he did. I'd be checking the most recent shifts he worked to see if they line up with what his family thought he was working. Not because I think something nefarious happened but to see if there is a special individual that could shed a little light on his last day on earth.

If there is such a person, especially one who gave Abdi some bad news that night, they may be very reluctant to talk.

My personal gut feeling is that Abdi's death was through misadventure. Did he get out of a car because he was upset and somehow slid down an embankment into the water and was unable to get out?

MOO

Just read through this thread. I don't know how Abdi ended up in the river. I am not familiar with the area at all. And being from the Great White North I know rivers near me are usually frozen in winter 95% of the time, especially in February. The only way I might be convinced to meet near one in February during a snowstorm is if I was in a nice warm car.

I'm interested in the circumstances that led up to his death. It became clear, after the ensuing tragedy, that Abdi pretended he was working a shift at Target when he wasn't.

Most young boys I know wouldn't hang around a mall after they got off work, unless there was a really good reason. Like a girl. Especially one that perhaps his parents may have disapproved of. It would be interesting to find out whether the day he lost his life is the only day he pretended to be at work.

I wonder if his shift schedule lines up with the all days he was supposedly working. Telling a white lie might have been the only way he was able to meet someone without letting his parents know.

If I was working this case, I'd be interested in the shift schedules to see who left the same time he did. I'd be checking the most recent shifts he worked to see if they line up with what his family thought he was working. Not because I think something nefarious happened but to see if there is a special individual that could shed a little light on his last day on earth.

If there is such a person, especially one who gave Abdi some bad news that night, they may be very reluctant to talk.

My personal gut feeling is that Abdi's death was through misadventure. Did he get out of a car because he was upset and somehow slid down an embankment into the water and was unable to get out?

MOO

This is such an insightful post and I thank you for it, branmuffin. Comparing work schedules (at Abdi’s place of work) around the time he went missing and just before, looking for others who worked the same shifts, is a great idea to identify who he worked with (and who he worked close to). I sure hope the information will yield sources who can shed some light on what went on during Abdi’s last days/hours.

His disappearance and death must have been, and continue to be, torture for his family and friends. Having not lost a child, I cannot put myself in their shoes — except to know the pain must be almost unbearable. My heart goes out to them.

MOO

I would agree, that he had to have gone out of his way for someone he felt ok with. I have a son and he also goes out of his way for friends (male and female) out of loyalty for them. Yes, look into friends, coworkers, and friends of friends. I still go back to what his sister said. She didn't know all of his secrets...implying that she knew some? Not that I would point the finger at her, but she might have some info about people he hung out with or people she knew he talked to at work, or outside of work (since they worked at the same place and were close) that might help out the case, even inadvertently. Sometimes the smallest bit of info helps tons...And then there is the no snitch code...if someone is out there that knows something but doesn't want to look like a snitch, even if it wasn't a cause of his death but something that occurred the day he disappeared, they wont be coming forth any time soon unfortunately.

I don't see anything that makes me feel like it's anything to do with the family.

Interesting how we all see things differently.

MOO

Yes, everyone sees everything just a *little* bit differently (part of what makes life so interesting :)).

Continuing to be hopeful that all of us and those in Abdi's school/workplace are able to get at least *some* more information about his cause of death. May there be healing in the heart of each one who is hurting...

O/T -- gorgeous cat, @Wowno17. (Wanted to message you, but not possible.) Please, what kind of a cat *is* that in your avatar? TIA.

I would agree, that he had to have gone out of his way for someone he felt ok with. I have a son and he also goes out of his way for friends (male and female) out of loyalty for them. Yes, look into friends, coworkers, and friends of friends. I still go back to what his sister said. She didn't know all of his secrets...implying that she knew some? Not that I would point the finger at her, but she might have some info about people he hung out with or people she knew he talked to at work, or outside of work (since they worked at the same place and were close) that might help out the case, even inadvertently. Sometimes the smallest bit of info helps tons...And then there is the no snitch code...if someone is out there that knows something but doesn't want to look like a snitch, even if it wasn't a cause of his death but something that occurred the day he disappeared, they wont be coming forth any time soon unfortunately.

@katladi69 and @branmuffin, you are both good detectives, with the kinds of questions you're asking, and the things you're wondering. Hoping that someone in the DMPD will read this, and wonder some of these very same questions, to such a point that *they* continue the process to get answers!

Yes, everyone sees everything just a *little* bit differently (part of what makes life so interesting :)).

Continuing to be hopeful that all of us and those in Abdi's school/workplace are able to get at least *some* more information about his cause of death. May there be healing in the heart of each one who is hurting...

O/T -- gorgeous cat, @Wowno17. (Wanted to message you, but not possible.) Please, what kind of a cat *is* that in your avatar? TIA.

Unfortunately not my cat , photo taken at one of our local cat cafes

On another note, did anyone read the news article that said Abdi called his sister on the day he disappeared, asking her for money after he had already been at the mall for a couple hours? I wonder what they spoke about and what his mood was at the time she gave him some money? That statement was made days after his disapperance while police questioned the family. But you dont hear about that info at all anymore. Very interesting!

Just now catching up here on this case, and yes, in fact, I *did* read that article about Abdi's having called his sister -- the very day of his disappearance, too -- and had asked for money/a loan from her (don't recall the exact phrase used in the article). Am *not* saying that the sister/family is guilty! *Not* that! But totally agree with you, @katladi69, that that is an interesting "tidbit" -- and.. who knows? Maybe it is a *useful* tidbit in solving this case.

My neighbour has two cats that look exactly like the avatar cat. Hers are Rag Doll cats because of their tendency go limp when you cuddle them. They are big lumps of love. Very sweet and don't stop growing for a couple of years unlike most other cats. The male son of the mama cat is a very big boy. I looked after them for a month when she went to Europe. Both followed me around all the time.

upload_2020-5-17_2-21-56.png

I want the medical examination results so badly! According to CDC data up to 2008, drowning seems to be a less popular method of self-harm. Studies in Sweden and Australia found that females and elderly males tended to dominate this category. Alcohol and/or psychoactive drugs were found in over a third of intentional drownings. Abdi probably had limited access to things like firearms. With his fear of water, and I’m guessing, inexperience with swimming, he would have had to feel such deep hopelessness and resolve to hurt himself or may have been impaired at the time. That is such a gut-wrenching thought. I would rather have someone to blame and be the villain in this tragedy than imagine someone’s despair.

I have faith that the authorities in this case will have more resources and will do a more thorough investigation than the ones that worked my cousin’s death in rural Missouri. His throat had been slit from ear to ear. His much younger roommate tried to drive him to the hospital (instead of calling 911) but he didn’t make it in time. The manner of death was suicide. I suspect my cousin’s drug use history played into their conclusion, but after asking my friends in law enforcement about it, slitting your own throat is actually difficult to do and pretty unusual. They may not have wanted to spend the payroll to pursue anything else. The roommate skipped town in a hurry, did not attend the funeral or reach out to my family. I hope he doesn’t happen upon any more suicides again.

Des Moines police conclude Abdi Sharif's case, releasing new information

This week, the Des Moines Police Department announced they have concluded the investigation into Sharif's death. Investigators learned early on from his family that Sharif had expressed thoughts of hurting himself.

"Detectives also learned that Sharif had been secretive of his movements, and his family had discovered apparent conversation between Sharif and others regarding illegal activities, and he was experiencing personal struggles," said Sgt. Paul Parizek with the Des Moines Police Department.

Police also say that Sharif was "hiding and staying with unknown friends at unknown locations." While some leads in the investigation indicated that he had been a victim of foul play, authorities ruled those leads to be false.

"Detectives were able to obtain cell phone tower data which provided a very general look at Sharif's movement as he traveled east from Target. The last 'ping' from the phone was in the area of the Euclid Avenue bridge over the Des Moines River," Parizek said.

On Jan. 30, detectives requested technology assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They also said they his father, who lives in Canada, hadn't heard from him since a week before Sharif disappeared.

"The Polk County Medical Examiner determined that Sharif had no traumatic injury to his body that would indicate an assault or other deliberate harm had come to Sharif prior to his death. His clothing, weather/water damage excluded, showed no signs of a struggle with another person," Parizek said.

Authorities found Sharif's phone on him and it was given to the FBI for examination. The examination was completed on July 23. The FBI found that Sharif had been traveling at the speed of a vehicle for about 12 minutes after leaving Target and authorities were able to find video of Sharif getting on a DART east on Douglas Avenue. When he boarded the bus, Sharif didn't interact with anyone during the time on the bus according to the video. Police said there is no video of him exiting the bus.

According to phone records, he traveled eastbound on Douglas Avenue before going south on MLK Jr. Parkway. At approximately 5:33 p.m. he was at a bus stop on 33000 block of MLK Jr. Parkway. The bus then goes south, but Sharif was northbound.

The police said he moved eastbound on Euclid Avenue from MLK Jr. Parkway at 5:36 p.m. He used multiple apps on his phone during that walk and it included a FaceTime and a call to family. After learning about the phone call, police confirmed with a family member but they could not recall the context of that call.

Police said at 5:43 p.m. Sharif was on the Euclid Avenue bridge over the Des Moines River where he took a photo of the river below him. One minute later he opened his Instagram account where he began to upload the photo.

Authorities said, " also at 5:44 p.m. the phone stops providing data."

They conclude that Sharif, "Jumped from the bridge committing suicide, or accidentally fell from the bridge. There is no evidence of any criminal act."

Des Moines police conclude Abdi Sharif's case, releasing new information

This week, the Des Moines Police Department announced they have concluded the investigation into Sharif's death. Investigators learned early on from his family that Sharif had expressed thoughts of hurting himself...
They conclude that Sharif, "Jumped from the bridge committing suicide, or accidentally fell from the bridge. There is no evidence of any criminal act."
RSBM.

How sad... Anyone know how likely an accidental fall from that bridge could be? Like how high was the railing?
ETA: I see another poster above already addressed this and confirmed that it would be very difficult to accidentally fall from the bridge.
It's looking like suicide then. :-(

Last edited:
His going back to Target when he wasn’t working always left me with a nagging suspicion of activities his family was unaware of. I think he was pretty close to his sister. If she didn’t outright know what he was up to, I’d say she had her suspicions. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_thinking
Back