Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this doesn't go like Victoria.
Things looking great, then within a few weeks, "disaster' declared, going into Stage 4 Lockdown.

Mystery cases sends Auckland into lockdown

Mystery cases sends Auckland into lockdown

Sky News Australia

1 hour ago
Four cases of coronavirus located in south Auckland has left NZ health authorities scratching their head as they seek to determine how it was contracted after 102 days without any positive COVID-19 results.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the cases, all from the same family, were not connected to quarantine or overseas travel.

As a result, Ms Ardern introduced a four-day, stage three lockdown in Auckland as the matter was investigated.

Essential poll: Victorians overwhelmingly support harsh restrictions to curb Covid second wave

Essential poll: Victorians overwhelmingly support harsh restrictions to curb Covid second wave

Katharine Murphy Political editor

4 hrs ago
The lockdown might be draconian, but Victorians overwhelmingly support the public health restrictions imposed to curb the second wave of coronavirus infections, with support for the measures highest among voters aged over 55, according to a Guardian Essential poll.

New research shows 72% of the sample backs the decision of the Andrews government to impose a curfew between 8pm and 5am, 71% supports curbs on leaving the house, while 70% endorse restrictions on business and the requirement that people travel no further than 5km from their house. Voters aged over 34 are more likely to support the current lockdown measures than younger people.

A strong majority, 79%, report having a good understanding of what they are permitted to do and not do under the restrictions. Majorities in the sample of 500 Victorian voters think the lockdown is appropriate (67%) and will be effective in flattening the curve of new infections (60%) – although 41% of respondents who remain in paid work worry the restrictions will have a negative impact on their employment.

Brazil facing continued pressure in coronavirus fight, says WHO

Brazil facing continued pressure in coronavirus fight, says WHO

1 day ago
GENEVA (Reuters) - Indicators point to Brazil, which has the world's second higest number of coronavirus infections, facing continued pressure on its healthcare system, the World Health Organization said on Monday.

Brazil has reported more than 3 million confirmed cases, second only to the United States, and more than 101,000 deaths.

New York's nursing home death toll could be DOUBLE official count

Associated Press and Mary Kekatos Senior Health Reporter For Dailymail.com

5 hrs ago
New York's coronavirus death toll in nursing homes - already among the highest in the nation - could actually be a significant undercount, a new analysis finds.

Unlike every other state, the Empire State only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who were transported to hospitals and died there, according to the Associated Press.

That statistic could add thousands to New York's official care home death toll of a little more than 6,600, potentially even making the count twice as high.

So far the administration of Democratic Gov Andrew Cuomo has refused to divulge the number, leading to speculation the state is manipulating the figures to make it appear it is doing a better than other states and to make a tragic situation less dire.

It comes as Cuomo shot down the possibility of an independent investigation into the state's nursing home coronavirus deaths on Monday.
'That's a problem, bro,' state Sen Gustavo Rivera, a Democrat, told New York Health Commissioner Howard Zucker during a legislative hearing on nursing homes earlier this month.

'It seems, sir, that in this case you are choosing to define it differently so that you can look better.'

A running tally by The Associated Press shows that more than 68,200 residents and staff at nursing homes and long-term facilities across the nation have died from the coronavirus, out of more than 163,000 overall deaths.

For all 43 states that break out nursing home data, resident deaths make up 44 percent of total COVID deaths in their states, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Assuming the same proportion held in New York, that would translate to more than 11,000 nursing home deaths.

How Texas went from a coronavirus slow burn to an explosive disaster

How Texas went from a coronavirus slow burn to an explosive disaster

By North America correspondent Kathryn Diss

8 hrs ago

Coronavirus in Texas went from slow burn to explosion

America's coronavirus outbreak first erupted in Washington state before New York became the country's epicentre in April.

The situation was more of a slow burn in the country's south, with states like Texas, Florida and Arizona recording relatively lower rates of infection.

That all changed in May.

Texas's curve quickly shot up and Dr Patel remembers her team being shocked to have 30 patients at one time.

Then they had 90. They thought there was no way they could handle 100.

A few weeks ago, during the peak of infections in Texas, they hit 160 patients.

"The second peak clearly happened after Memorial Day," Dr Patel said.

"We started seeing a steep incline and it was just relentless."

Several US states said mass gatherings to celebrate the May 31 federal holiday caused a spike in COVID-19 infections.

"It really stretched every resource we had, both the manpower and the equipment, Dr Patel said.
They broke their records for the highest number of people on ventilators and dialysis machines at any one time.

The huge rise in cases in Texas is being seen as a direct consequence of lifting coronavirus restrictions too early.

The state started opening up again in May, though the Governor has since issued a statewide mask mandate and shut down bars again.

Some Texan bars have simply started serving food so they can be classified as restaurants and remain open, according to local media.

Texas sees early signs of improvement, but doctors fear another spike

Texas has started the see the first signs that cases are starting to decrease.

By most accounts, putting a pause on fully reopening the state and issuing the mask mandate has helped slow the spread in the state.

But while cases have come off the peak of 15,000 new infections in a day, Texas is still averaging about 8,000 a day.

And more than 8,000 people have died from close to half a million COVID-19 infections.

Doctors and nurses are hoping they have seen the worst of it, but with schools reopening this month and autumn rapidly approaching, concerns of a second spike are ever present.

the situation with school re-openings sends me into a state of anxiety; it isn't only the kids who are vectors for the virus, spreading to educators, but think about the spread to the community- to parents who go shopping at the supermarket- they will be all over the place and many of them will not be wearing masks or socially distancing. I can only see a nightmare ahead with schools re-opening. i would like to be wrong but i don't think i am.
Russia's health ministry has given regulatory approval for the world's first COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Moscow's Gamaleya Institute, after less than two months of human testing ...

Putin said the vaccine had been registered and had already been used to inoculate his own daughter.

Speaking at a government meeting Tuesday, Putin said that the vaccine has proven efficient during tests, offering a lasting immunity from the coronavirus.

Russian authorities have said that medical workers, teachers and other risk groups will be the first to be inoculated.

Russia says it has approved world's first COVID-19 vaccine

I think i would pass on that LOL
I can't go for that. No, no can do!

I can do the mask. I can do the hand washing. I can do the social distancing.

I just can't go through that again! It made me feel very very crazy.

Coronavirus found on frozen seafood in China
I never stopped disinfecting my groceries. I'm not crazy picky about it though - just a quick wipe and I wash all produce.
I never stopped disinfecting my groceries. I'm not crazy picky about it though - just a quick wipe and I wash all produce.

i wipe down with soap and water every item from the grocery store that comes
In my house--- i hate doing it but i dont feel comfortable leaving virus
on stuff

I think it's something I will continue to do long-term. Just the thought of what could be on those groceries makes me want to throw up.

I also let items sit around for 24 hours (non perishables) before i put them away---
I was at Walmart the other day- i saw a top i liked and bought it and it has been sitting on a chair for over a week; i am considering washing it before i wear it though i think if there was any virus on it, after a week it must be dead.

Coronavirus cases surge as France goes 'wrong way'

Coronavirus cases in France have nearly doubled in the past 24 hours as Prime Minister Jean Castex warned that the country had been going "the wrong way" for two weeks.

The health ministry reported 1,397 new infections of Covid-19 since Monday. Fourteen people have died.

A ban on meetings of more than 5,000 people has been extended to 30 October.

Mr Castex also asked local authorities to further extend the requirement to wear face masks in public.

"The epidemiological situation, which we are following very closely, is deteriorating: 2,000 new cases per day compared to 1,000 three weeks ago," Mr Castex said at a press conference in Montpellier.

"About 25 new clusters are identified every day compared to five three weeks ago," he added.

Continued at link.

Last edited:
I also let items sit around for 24 hours (non perishables) before i put them away---
I was at Walmart the other day- i saw a top i liked and bought it and it has been sitting on a chair for over a week; i am considering washing it before i wear it though i think if there was any virus on it, after a week it must be dead.

yes we let non-perishables sit for minimum three days
I always wash any clothes before I wear them, including socks (& masks)

Oh you gotta wash it. Who knows who tried it on. *puke*

I was at our Hospital last week for some imaging. Screened coming in and had to fill out a questionnaire. It listed all the usual Covid symptoms but one really stood out to me. It asked-have you had a fall for no apparent reason. Perhaps that might be associated with brain fog???

When I read this, I could see me, even if it's been there for a week, using a pair of tongs to pick it up.
Although then I'd have to do something about the tongs.
Not sure going through the dishwasher would be enough, especially as I use the Eco Wash,

Last edited by a moderator:
About 6 weeks ago my City was down to 1 case and 0 in Hospital. We spiked up to 93 with 3 in Hospital. As of today we are at 83 active cases and 4 in Hospital. Mandatory masks comes into effect this Friday for all indoor settings. I have always worn one but saw many not. City Council passed the bylaw last night.

About 6 weeks ago my City was down to 1 case and 0 in Hospital. We spiked up to 93 with 3 in Hospital. As of today we are at 83 active cases and 4 in Hospital. Mandatory masks comes into effect this Friday for all indoor settings. I have always worn one but saw many not. City Council passed the bylaw last night.

we just should've had mandatory masks right from the beginning IMO

Associated Press and Mary Kekatos Senior Health Reporter For Dailymail.com

5 hrs ago
New York's coronavirus death toll in nursing homes - already among the highest in the nation - could actually be a significant undercount, a new analysis finds.

Unlike every other state, the Empire State only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who were transported to hospitals and died there, according to the Associated Press.

That statistic could add thousands to New York's official care home death toll of a little more than 6,600, potentially even making the count twice as high.

So far the administration of Democratic Gov Andrew Cuomo has refused to divulge the number, leading to speculation the state is manipulating the figures to make it appear it is doing a better than other states and to make a tragic situation less dire.

It comes as Cuomo shot down the possibility of an independent investigation into the state's nursing home coronavirus deaths on Monday.
'That's a problem, bro,' state Sen Gustavo Rivera, a Democrat, told New York Health Commissioner Howard Zucker during a legislative hearing on nursing homes earlier this month.

'It seems, sir, that in this case you are choosing to define it differently so that you can look better.'

A running tally by The Associated Press shows that more than 68,200 residents and staff at nursing homes and long-term facilities across the nation have died from the coronavirus, out of more than 163,000 overall deaths.

For all 43 states that break out nursing home data, resident deaths make up 44 percent of total COVID deaths in their states, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Assuming the same proportion held in New York, that would translate to more than 11,000 nursing home deaths.

CDC will have the correct death count. All Medicare are reported to CDC. In the early days CDC was questioning all respiratory, especially pneumonia deaths and requesting medical records, xrays, lab reports, from hospitals and reviewing on an individual basis.

CMS (Medicare) requires CDC to post all NH deaths on the CDC websit, by facility name. I think the start date for national reporting was some time in May.

Coronavirus cases surge as France goes 'wrong way'

Coronavirus cases in France have nearly doubled in the past 24 hours as Prime Minister Jean Castex warned that the country had been going "the wrong way" for two weeks.

The health ministry reported 1,397 new infections of Covid-19 since Monday. Fourteen people have died.

A ban on meetings of more than 5,000 people has been extended to 30 October.

Mr Castex also asked local authorities to further extend the requirement to wear face masks in public.

"The epidemiological situation, which we are following very closely, is deteriorating: 2,000 new cases per day compared to 1,000 three weeks ago," Mr Castex said at a press conference in Montpellier.

"About 25 new clusters are identified every day compared to five three weeks ago," he added.

Continued at link.

Ever time I see a country or state is going "the wrong way" I hear Dr Fauci say.....

“That’s the reason why we need to keep, as I say, putting the foot on the accelerator and not the brake,” Fauci said.

April 7th....

Dr. Fauci: ‘We need to put our foot on the accelerator’ to see an end to COVID-19 pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member