Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest update (August 10) on the national picture for college and university reopening plans:

2.5% classes fully in person
21% classes primarily in person (some courses online)
14% hybrid classes
5% classes fully online
25% classes primarily online (some courses in person)
26% still to be determined
6% other (not stated)

Source: College Crisis Initiative at Davidson College as reported on August 10th by the Chronicle for Higher Education

Last edited:
This is what happens when there is NO community testing in rural communities. Farmville is a small rural community. Thanks to the Washington Post for exposing this!!!

Still no press conference from our DOCTOR governor, as our deaths, hospital and cases rise.

CDC spending a lot of time in Virginia trying to clean up the chicken, meat plant and now the WORSE outbreak in U.S. immigration facility.

CDC team is at federal immigration facility to address virus

FARMVILLE, Va. — Virginia’s governor says that a team of federal scientists has arrived at an immigration detention center in Farmville to address the worst coronavirus outbreak at any such facility in the nation.

The Washington Post reported that the 10-person team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention arrived on Monday.

One detainee died at the at the privately run facility last week.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said that nearly all of the 298 detainees are being monitored for infection.

On today's DeWine presser the discussion is on Covid in children, school, and social distancing, masks, bussing etc. Three top children's health doctors are giving advice, answering questions and explaining risks in several situations. It's long but there's a ton of information for those concerned about children returning to school.

Last edited:
I swear we we hear a new symptom everyday. Not sure about you guys, but this is the first I recall hearing about “hair loss”.

She also mentions “irregular periods”, but that could be from anything. It would be interesting, however, to look into this further and see if there are other reports re: menstruation.

I think it was speculated that the people with hair loss are also middle-aged and that the hair loss could be due to the aging process rather than COVID?

and the irregular periods - well she is at that age I think

the situation with school re-openings sends me into a state of anxiety; it isn't only the kids who are vectors for the virus, spreading to educators, but think about the spread to the community- to parents who go shopping at the supermarket- they will be all over the place and many of them will not be wearing masks or socially distancing. I can only see a nightmare ahead with schools re-opening. i would like to be wrong but i don't think i am.

I think i would pass on that LOL

I think we can already see what will happen by looking at the states and counties where schools are opening - all around the world.

Coronavirus: UK records highest daily number of COVID-19 cases for nearly two months

The UK has recorded the highest number of daily coronavirus cases in nearly two months.

In the 24 hours up to 9am on Tuesday, a further 1,148 confirmed cases of coronavirus were reported - the highest number since 1,221 new cases were announced on 21 June.

A total of 312,789 cases have been confirmed in the UK since the beginning of the pandemic.

New cases were at their lowest at the beginning of July and have crept up since then - although recent data had suggested new infections were levelling off.

Coronavirus kills three people affiliated with same Florida school

A Florida mother died from COVID-19 this week, less than a month after her 19-year-old son also died of coronavirus.

Jordan Byrd, 19, was a part-time custodian at that grades K-8 campus and Jacqueline Byrd, 55, had once been employed at that same school. Jacqueline Byrd died on Monday and her son on July 19.

One week after Jordan Byrd passed away, the mother of his girlfriend also lost her life to COVID-19. Karen Bradwell, 53, had been the director of after-school programs at Fort Braden School.
I'm very afraid for our state now...It's like we just don't get it IMO.

South Carolina Governor McMaster said he wanted DHEC (Department of Health and Environmental Control) to monitor schools for Covid-19 activity. DHEC posted this on Monday, August 10: As school year approaches, DHEC data still shows schools aren’t ready for in-person classes | WBTW

"...schools should not re-open for in-person classes until the level of disease activity is “low” for the county the school district is in. As of the Monday update, every county in the state still has “high disease activity.” :eek:

Nothing to apologise for.
I wasn't offended by your post. I'm sorry if my post may have sounded that way.

Virtual hugs from across the ocean to you ((((((HUG)))))

{{{Hugs}}} and well wishes.

You stated the facts. I just felt so bad that I may have made statements that were not true.

As we say in the south....Assuming makes an a$$ out of us every time. LOL....

Local family hit hard by coronavirus after funeral
“First of all, I want everyone, including my family, to know why I am sharing this information,” said Williams. “I’m not identifying anyone by name, besides myself, and my sister is also speaking out. I’m not trying to degrade anyone or cause any hardship. I want the public to understand what we are going through and how it could have been prevented. I want others to know how serious COVID-19 is and what a catastrophe it can become if you’re not forthcoming about having it.”

I'm very afraid for our state now...It's like we just don't get it IMO.

Which is why we ought not to rely on "people getting it." People didn't get auto safety, either. And some still don't and can use loopholes.

I worry about Florida, too. The three deaths in one school system (and we're barely getting started with school) is not good. But, as we can see here on WS, the citizens outside the school system and outside the hospital system may strongly prefer the risk.

I do wonder why some of us have spent so much time lobbying for safety and healthier practices. I wonder why some of us are the kind who will jump into rivers to save someone, and others just film. It's heartbreaking that only some people care about others - in this case, all it takes is wearing a mask. No jumping.

Local family hit hard by coronavirus after funeral
“First of all, I want everyone, including my family, to know why I am sharing this information,” said Williams. “I’m not identifying anyone by name, besides myself, and my sister is also speaking out. I’m not trying to degrade anyone or cause any hardship. I want the public to understand what we are going through and how it could have been prevented. I want others to know how serious COVID-19 is and what a catastrophe it can become if you’re not forthcoming about having it.”
How awful for them.

I can't go for that. No, no can do!

I can do the mask. I can do the hand washing. I can do the social distancing.

I just can't go through that again! It made me feel very very crazy.

Coronavirus found on frozen seafood in China

I never stopped disinfecting my groceries. I'm not crazy picky about it though - just a quick wipe and I wash all produce.

Pre-orders of COVID-19 vaccine top five billion
AAAkOaU.img

Pre-orders of COVID-19 vaccine top five billion

AFP

4 hrs ago
upload_2020-8-12_7-53-38.png
BB17Q057.img

© Simon MALFATTO Countries and organisations that have announced advance agreements to acquire doses of COVID-19 vaccines

Although none of the coronavirus vaccines under development has proved its efficacy yet in clinical trials, at least 5.7 billion doses have been pre-ordered around the world.

First shipments of a COVID-19 vaccine created by Western laboratories have often been snapped up by the United States.

Five vaccines -- three Western and two Chinese -- are in Phase 3 efficacy trials involving thousands of people.

In a surprise announcement, Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed Tuesday that a vaccine dubbed "Sputnik V" -- after the Soviet satellite -- conferred "sustainable immunity" against the novel coronavirus.

As research laboratories around the world race to develop a vaccine, manufacturers have received financing to help them prepare to have millions of doses ready to administer in 2021 or even before the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob