Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I first learned of this case, and the FBI’s involvement, I thought it was an abduction. This was from one of the first articles I read:

“Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

While investigators have found "what's believed to be a personal item" belonging to Morphew, they haven't said what the item is.

"They want to maintain the integrity of this case. They want to make sure there are no leaks in the case especially if they have some suspicion of a person who may be involved, like a person of interest," Corsentino said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.

https://krdo.com/news/2020/05/18/investigator-explains-fbis-involvement-in-chaffee-county-missing-woman-case/

Random thought about MG stopping work Saturday at 11am at BM’s request. Maybe there was a tool or tools that would be used in the beach project that day but instead BM needed those tools for the murder. Maybe that’s why he wanted them to stop working so early.

Here's an article worth reading that highlights some common motives in spousal homicide. There's often more than one motive.

#1 motive- Anger-
escalating rage, abuse, and violence. This group has been violent before- sometimes outside the home resulting in a criminal record and anti-social behavior.
Some are full fledged psychopaths.

#2 motive- fear of abandonment and loss. He's afraid she will leave. Usually happens after she's threatened or attempted to leave.
This group of men have a personality style or disorder that's highly unstable, emotional, known as borderline type.

#3- Sexual jealousy or sexual possessiveness w/ wife as the object.

#4- Suicidal- perp may plan the suicide but chickens out.

Other less frequent motives may include not wanting to share the financial resources in case of divorce.

Most of these murders will generally follow an argument.
Drugs and/or alcohol are often involved.

The Twisted Reasons Why Some Husbands Kill Their Wives

Last edited:
When I first learned of this case, and the FBI’s involvement, I thought it was an abduction. This was from one of the first articles I read:

“Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

While investigators have found "what's believed to be a personal item" belonging to Morphew, they haven't said what the item is.

"They want to maintain the integrity of this case. They want to make sure there are no leaks in the case especially if they have some suspicion of a person who may be involved, like a person of interest," Corsentino said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.
https://krdo.com/news/2020/05/18/in...lvement-in-chaffee-county-missing-woman-case/
Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO

Great find on the older article. This quote has always stuck out to me too:

This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.

Bobcat Standard Bucket
bobcat-standard-duty-bucket-1w7a0367-19b4-ko-1080x720_fc_two_col.jpg

Bobcat Rake Attachment

161038-t6k8179-11w21-fc_fc_one_col_wrap.jpg
I'll bet that rake attachment would do a bit of ground vibrating. moo

Also, regarding premeditation and the movement of the Broomfield project date several times. I wonder how much having a full moon played into the timing of the weekend SM went missing?

I’d have to think you could drive around the power line roads and other dirt roads near firecamp at night with a full moon and not need to use your headlights.

Also, regarding premeditation and the movement of the Broomfield project date everlasting times. I wonder how much having a full moon played into the timing of the weekend SM went missing?

I’d have to think you could drive around the power line roads and other dirt roads near firecamp at night with a full moon and not need to use your headlights.

Whether part of the plan or not, I think the full moon was very helpful.

Honestly, at this point, I think it would be very hard to determine whether drowning had occurred.

I do consider drowning a possibility - including drowning at home.

While we'd all think chlorine/bleach would only be used if there was blood evidence, it's possible that a guilty party would use it any way, in the hopes of destroying DNA evidence. This might include cleaning the body as well as the perp's own person. I think of Lady Macbeth.

If BM drowned/strangled SM at home during a battle over a long-held marital problem, it would not be the first time he threatened her physically IMO, and each time they fought in the past, he finally calmed down, apologized, swore to God that it wouldn't happen again and they likely prayed together. That's the cycle I envision, as it's common. Drowning makes sense because of BM's own statement and pre-splaining.

BM, if he did do this terrible thing, would have been panicked and remorseful afterward (but also stubbornly pro-Barry). He might have felt relief that the anchor that weighed him down (Suzanne) and kept him from living the life of a hunky, single, middle-aged man...was gone. But then, he'd feel terrible guilt. And terror at being caught and outed as a vile, deranged murderer. He'd be careful to clean under her fingernails, perhaps her whole body, and he would certainly clean his own body - because he feared being literally taken to the police staton at any moment in those first few days.

As the days went on, and he saw that he'd managed to hide SM carefully enough, he became the more confident and relaxed BM we hear on LS's interviews. By now, he must be really relieved that even if Suzanne is found, so much evidence has been lost.

Makes me think of Barbara Thomas and what might have happened to her.
That attitude change is what makes me feel they missed finding her at the job site. Pacing and looking out the window suddenly stopped too. Remember they have no evidence against him he said......he thinks.

Also, regarding premeditation and the movement of the Broomfield project date everlasting times. I wonder how much having a full moon played into the timing of the weekend SM went missing?

yes AND a full moon can mess with unstable minds.
I was once told by an ER Doc that he always scheduled his days off when there was a full moon. He claimed there was some truth to it bringing on the crazies.

That attitude change is what makes me feel they missed finding her at the job site. Pacing and looking out the window suddenly stopped too. Remember they have no evidence against him he said......he thinks.

I have a different take on the pacing and looking out the window. What if BM was paranoid that someone could be after him?

I like this theory except that SM was texting w/a friend until 12:30. If he left the job site at 11:00 he would be home a long time before 12:30. Did he wait over an hour to ask her to hike? Why the “abrupt” end to her conversation? Did he not give her a chance to end her conversation & make her leave her phone at home? Also the bleach smell in their home.
As far as him leaving the beach job site at 11:00, MG said he picked her up that morning . So he would have had to take her home. IMO At 2:17

According to AM, Barry was offered a polygraph on the fourth day. I don't think refusing a polygraph necessarily makes one look suspicious since they are controversial and so many advise against it.

What is relevant to me is that BM told TD he had been cleared weeks ago, while LE stated no-one had been cleared. He also (reportedly) lied about taking a polygraph, which is why AM initially believed BM had nothing to do with Suzanne's disappearance.

An innocent person shouldn't have to mislead people to convince them that they are innocent.

IMO
@MsBetsy I whole heartedly agree.

Especially this quote:

"What is relevant to me is that BM told TD he had been cleared weeks ago, while LE stated no-one had been cleared. He also (reportedly) lied about taking a polygraph, which is why AM initially believed BM had nothing to do with Suzanne's disappearance."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592