Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

I love the taste of Beefsteak tomatoes. Surprisingly, my Sweet Cherry 100, is still producing tomatoes. October, and I am still getting a handful a day, which is amazing for Montana. The thing has turned into a giant, sprawling bush, covered with fruit. It dwarfs all of the other tomato plants.

I will look for "Mr. Stripey" seeds.
Mr. Stripey has been compared to beefsteak tomatoes so I am sure you will like them.

Attachments

• AAE365C8-D25E-41E1-8017-885276CBCCB9.jpeg
    AAE365C8-D25E-41E1-8017-885276CBCCB9.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 10
Forecast for our first wide spread frost potential here Friday night on the TN/VA border. I have spent the past month slowly preparing for this, moving many plants indoors in front of windows and trying to make room for more. I see my evenings this week after work in a frantic mode trying to find room for even more to move indoors. Have enjoyed the last handfuls of cherry tomatoes I was surprised to still get this week. Buttercrunch lettuce I sowed seeds for a few weeks back are about 4-5 inches high now.

Forecast for our first wide spread frost potential here Friday night on the TN/VA border. I have spent the past month slowly preparing for this, moving many plants indoors in front of windows and trying to make room for more. I see my evenings this week after work in a frantic mode trying to find room for even more to move indoors. Have enjoyed the last handfuls of cherry tomatoes I was surprised to still get this week. Buttercrunch lettuce I sowed seeds for a few weeks back are about 4-5 inches high now.
Maybe some hoop houses if you’re allowed to have them? My cousin in Maine has raised beds with the PVC hoops that she covers in heavy plastic.

I put everything down. Tossed the plants, I am not crazy about green tomatoes. Snow this week, and it is drizzling all week. My garden is all tucked down.

I have been gifted 6 big butternut squash from a friends garden. I plan to make soup with one or two. Any other ideas besides as a side with butter and/or brown sugar? Thanks!

I have been gifted 6 big butternut squash from a friends garden. I plan to make soup with one or two. Any other ideas besides as a side with butter and/or brown sugar? Thanks!
I roasted one this week. I cut off the bulb end because it looked odd. That left me two good sized pieces. I spread a think layer of olive oil on them. Then sprinkled them with powdered seasonings. Garlic, onion, salt pepper. I turned them over onto the foil (cut side down). Then I roasted them at 375 degrees about 30-35 min.

I scooped out the squash, mashed it with a fork and just eat it with a little butter on it. I did freezer meals with about half of it.

Fill with a ground meat mixture. Or a pie? I wonder how that would taste. Squash pie. I bet with spices, butter, brown sugar, Granny Smith Apple chopped finely for a little tang. Or splash of orange juice. Maybe grated orange peel.

Fill with a ground meat mixture. Or a pie? I wonder how that would taste. Squash pie. I bet with spices, butter, brown sugar, Granny Smith Apple chopped finely for a little tang. Or splash of orange juice. Maybe grated orange peel.

It is my understanding that canned pumpkin is usually actually butternut squash. So a pie would be great!

I also like squash soup.

I have a raised bed, east texas.
I started it two years ago with cow manure, potting soil, peet moss. I added a 10-10-10 fertilizer this year.
This year I had nice cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.
But the Celebrity tomatoes did nothing during the heat of summer. The plants looked good, so I kept them watered. Now they have lots of green tomatoes. I'm hoping they will ripen, but green tomato relish is fine.

Next year I will again plant cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Does anyone have suggestions for a different variety of larger tomatoes that might do better?

I have a raised bed, east texas.
I started it two years ago with cow manure, potting soil, peet moss. I added a 10-10-10 fertilizer this year.
This year I had nice cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.
But the Celebrity tomatoes did nothing during the heat of summer. The plants looked good, so I kept them watered. Now they have lots of green tomatoes. I'm hoping they will ripen, but green tomato relish is fine.

Next year I will again plant cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Does anyone have suggestions for a different variety of larger tomatoes that might do better?
I’m in SWFL and my favorite type to grow are Celebrity determinate and Big Boy indeterminate. I’ve had success with grape tomatoes (smaller and more oblong than cherry tomatoes) and Roma tomatoes too.

I’m in SWFL and my favorite type to grow are Celebrity determinate and Big Boy indeterminate. I’ve had success with grape tomatoes (smaller and more oblong than cherry tomatoes) and Roma tomatoes too.
Thx!

I did stuff an acorn squash with veggies and tofu. I'll bet the butternut would work for that as well. The apple! Now that might take it to the next level!:p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back