Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it needs to go beyond barely compliant. People need to think! How many on this thread alone had groceries delivered ? Doesn’t the delivery person matter?
Other than for first responders I see no reason why folks need to have take out delivered.
we don’t need to worry about restaurants and businesses....our future task force says the government can pay everyone, help businesses, etc.

the government has been finding it difficult, because of the constitution, to x-out anything that looks as if it hinders freedom of religion, freedom to protest, first amendment speech rights.... and they get sued regularly... sued to allow gun shops to open because of the right to bear arms

Exactly! People have to be willing to do what needs to be done. No deliveries, no church, no protests, no rallies, no parties or visiting family.
It’s easy to say but I see posts every day where people are doing the opposite.

Margarita25 posted this in the previous thread:

After COVID Diagnosis, Nearly 1 In 5 Are Diagnosed With Mental Disorder

I did read it and was heartened that it did not refer to organic brain damage,
but mostly stress, PTSD and depression.... so possibly curable ailments. : (

I wanted to add that being in a state that had an early large caseload, and having some severe lock downs, mandatory masking in public, many restrictions, to now see community spread back and all over the country is disheartening. I am thinking what next. It was nice when our numbers state wide went down, but now it feels hopeless, IMO.
Years ago there was a terrible fire at the Our Lady of the Angels school in Chicago which killed over 90 people most of which were kids. Years later a writer interviewed people who had survived the fire and one survivor had gone on to college to become a psychiatrist. This person stated that he had interviewed his classmates who had survived the fire and said that he could not find one person who he would diagnose with PTSD.

We throw arounds terms like "depression" and "ptsd" very loosely now a days in fact it seems to be the newest fad for celebrities to start claiming they suffer from depression. I am not saying no one with Covid-19 is suffering from any of these mental illnesses but going through a tough time does not equal mental illness.

There is fresh hope surrounding an Australian-made coronavirus vaccine, with early results showing its effectiveness on the elderly.

So far, results are showing the vaccine to be safe and effective in producing virus-neutralising antibodies among elderly participants taking part in a trial.

Trials are ahead of schedule, but it remains unclear when the formula will be completed and ready for use.

Infectious diseases expert Dr Paul Griffin said it was good news this vaccine was seeing positive results among the elderly.

Queensland's coronavirus vaccine showing promising early results

Exactly! People have to be willing to do what needs to be done. No deliveries, no church, no protests, no rallies, no parties or visiting family.
It’s easy to say but I see posts every day where people are doing the opposite.

I am not sure what we learned from our first lock down...I hope some one in our health department knows. I think IMO that the magnitude of the lock down depends on the duration- a few weeks is not a problem but beyond that, things start to fall apart literally and figuratively. No one needs anything desperately for a few weeks, but for a month or more...we have had restrictions since March, and now 7-8 mos later, we seem to be back to square one. People start needing appliances, the laundromat, the doctor, the dentist, glasses. Six months without the gym, some people are getting fat and people who were in rehab groups were not all helped by Zoom meetings from what I have read. I wish I knew the answer. It seems that as soon as we allowed some renewed commerce, and school, we got more cases.

There are statistical guidelines for when you can do contact tracing and when it becomes so widespread that you cannot, though I do not know the exact numbers. They have told us that they are getting cases from youth hockey, but that they believe it is not from the hockey per se but from after-hockey pizza get togethers. I imagine (?) that they see the cases showing up in the pizza diners, but not in the whole teams.

After hockey pizza parties? What the heck?

Youth Hockey Returns With New COVID Rules, But Its Overall Safety Is Still A Question

“Masks are required at rinks both on and off the ice. Teams are limited to one game a day. And rinks and hockey organizations face possible fines if they don't cooperate with contact tracing.”

They weren’t required to wear masks until now? And parents were ok with that?

New England States Ban Interstate Travel For Youth Hockey

Super-spreading wedding party demonstrates COVID-19 risk posed by holiday gatherings

“If you want to know why public health officials are so nervous about how much worse the COVID-19 pandemic will get as the holiday season unfolds, consider what happened after a single, smallish wedding reception that took place this summer in rural Maine.

Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But one of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

None of the victims who lost their lives had attended the party.”

“It’s something to keep in mind when you hear health officials urge members of the public to put their holiday traditions on hold this year. As you take in the details of the outbreak, imagine swapping “Thanksgiving dinner” or “Christmas party” for “wedding reception” and see whether it changes your thinking about your own holiday plans.”
-
Do you think 50% of the general public in the US will heed these warnings? Or continue on with their lives as they have been doing for the past several months?

Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But one of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

None of the victims who lost their lives had attended the party.”

This is just terrifying... imagine being that one guest, or the one that passed it to granny, or indeed the bride and groom. Horrible legacy.

Avoid crowded gatherings, folks.

Years ago there was a terrible fire at the Our Lady of the Angels school in Chicago which killed over 90 people most of which were kids. Years later a writer interviewed people who had survived the fire and one survivor had gone on to college to become a psychiatrist. This person stated that he had interviewed his classmates who had survived the fire and said that he could not find one person who he would diagnose with PTSD.

We throw arounds terms like "depression" and "ptsd" very loosely now a days in fact it seems to be the newest fad for celebrities to start claiming they suffer from depression. I am not saying no one with Covid-19 is suffering from any of these mental illnesses but going through a tough time does not equal mental illness.
I thank you for sharing your thoughts. I totally agree with you. As one who has severely suffered from both “” “” in the past, I roll my eyes up in my head until I’m silly when I hear those terms overused and abused.

At dinner parties and game nights, casual American life is fueling the coronavirus surge as daily cases exceed 150,000

A record-breaking surge in U.S. coronavirus cases is being driven to a significant degree by casual occasions that may feel deceptively safe, officials and scientists warn — dinner parties, game nights, sleepovers and carpools.

Many earlier coronavirus clusters were linked to nursing homes and crowded nightclubs. But public health officials nationwide say case investigations are increasingly leading them to small, private social gatherings. This behind-doors transmission trend reflects pandemic fatigue and widening social bubbles, experts say — and is particularly insidious because it is so difficult to police and likely to increase as temperatures drop and holidays approach.

The White House coronavirus task force has been urging states that are virus hot spots to curtail maskless get-togethers of family and friends, saying in reports that asymptomatic attendees “cause ongoing transmission, frequently infecting multiple people in a single gathering.”

On Thursday, the nation passed another grim milestone in the pandemic, setting records for cases and hospitalizations, with 152,391 new cases and 66,606 people hospitalized. In Chicago, the mayor said that starting Monday, residents should leave home only to go to work or school, or for essential needs, such as seeking medical care or getting groceries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/12/covid-social-gatherings/

Captain John Murray, CEO of the Canaveral Port Authority, opened up this year's State of the Port address with a 180-degree change on the outlook of the port.

"Without cruises, we lose $1.2 billion in expenditures in the state. 11,000 total jobs, $400 million in annual wages, and 31 million in local state and tax revenue," Murray said.

However, it wasn't all bad news, in the update, the Port Authority looked ahead to the next year of cruising and a new terminal.

"That beautiful new terminal that's been created for the new Carnival LNG Mardi Gras that's due here in February," Murray said.

Despite the optimism, cruise lines are in an approval period from the CDC, and must follow very tight protocols.

A conditional sail order went into effect on Oct. 30 and will run through to Nov. 1, 2021.

"There'll also be simulated cruising before there are any revenued guests on the ships," Murray said. "They'll be accepting volunteers at some point be friends and family whatever, they cannot accept revenue on these voyages."
Cruises: Port Canaveral leaders discuss impacts of COVID-19
https://cruising.org/en/cruise-industry-covid-19-facts-and-resources
Cruise Industry COVID-19 Facts and Resources

Take away food is considered an essential as it is food. Not everyone (especially exhausted doctors, nurses, first responders) has the time and energy to prepare meals.
The take away food is done as curbside pick-up. You go to the food, the food does not come to you. Then you go right home.
The take away option also helps keep restaurants/cafes in business ... so that they are there when lockdown is over ... which is something we all want. They can't work from home, like many other businesses can.

People can always nitpick at any lockdown's rules, but there are good examples out there of lockdowns that have worked.
I agree with you SA. We are currently in lockdown here. Our local pub has switched to takeaway food and we are supporting them in the hope they can survive. Only one person can enter the premises at a time, must be wearing a mask, contactless payments only. Transaction takes seconds as you order ahead.

Whether it's essential or not, I have to say getting a full roast beef Sunday lunch to go was amazing. Not least as I'd been decorating all morning and was shattered! Good luck to them. Lifted our spirits no end.

I think it needs to go beyond barely compliant. People need to think! How many on this thread alone had groceries delivered ? Doesn’t the delivery person matter?
Other than for first responders I see no reason why folks need to have take out delivered.
we don’t need to worry about restaurants and businesses....our future task force says the government can pay everyone, help businesses, etc.

what difference does it make if someone gets curbside pickup or has groceries delivered? either way an employee needs to bring the groceries out to the car or up to the house

I agree with you SA. We are currently in lockdown here. Our local pub has switched to takeaway food and we are supporting them in the hope they can survive. Only one person can enter the premises at a time, must be wearing a mask, contactless payments only. Transaction takes seconds as you order ahead.

Whether it's essential or not, I have to say getting a full roast beef Sunday lunch to go was amazing. Not least as I'd been decorating all morning and was shattered! Good luck to them. Lifted our spirits no end.

They might do just fine. Our local restaurant was busier than ever when they went to take out only. They never had to turn folks away because the tables were filled. Of course, the locals supported them, fearful that we would lose our only restaurant.

Fauci opposes nationwide lockdown: 'We can turn this around'

"You can get a lot done without necessarily locking down if you adhere to the fundamental principles that many of us, myself included, have been talking about for quite a while now," Fauci said.

While Fauci did not take the possibility of a lockdown off the table, he advised that the "consequences of a lockdown from an economic as well as a...morale standpoint are very, very important."

In addition to millions of job losses during the pandemic, studies have shown COVID-19 lockdowns contributed to widespread negative mental health outcomes.

Fauci opposes nationwide lockdown: 'We can turn this around'

There are many other good reasons to have food delivered. There will be seniors who can't manage the grocery runs or cooking. There are new moms who won't go out with their new baby. There are folks who are providing meals for others ... there are as many reasons as you can dream of.

We do have good reasons to support our local businesses. They put money back into our communities and keep local people employed. Yes, the government will provide assistance (depending on which country you live in), but that's usually to make up for the shortfall, and just for a period until the business can get back up and running. Without that support, things can become grim for vulnerable communities.

And yes, I agree with you that the delivery person does matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6