Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a case I have followed of a young man (Juan Carlos Hernandez) in CA in the Los Angeles area who disappeared while on his drive home from work one night, after 10 pm. There are some similarities to Alan’s, which is why I’m posting about it.

This son texted his mom he would be home soon, but his mom discovered early the following morning that he never did make it home.

Two days later, his car was found maybe a couple of miles from the workplace, with the engine idling but otherwise intact. But no sign of the young man.

Well, it took about two months but LE with help from the FBI found his body in a shallow grave near Barstow, CA, a town in the Mojave Desert. Arrests have been made for his murder, but motive is still unknown, or at least not disclosed.

Found Deceased - CA - Juan Carlos "Cookie" Hernandez, 21, Los Angeles, 22 Sept 2020 *arrest*

So, both Alan and this young man were on their way home, and had people at home expecting them. Both had their cars located soon after, but not the person. Both Alan and Juan seem like upstanding individuals, which makes the disappearances very concerning. Juan was found murdered, for reasons that have not yet come to light. I hope for a different outcome for Alan, but it is very worrisome.
You didn't mention this -
Less than a week after he vanished, someone contacted the family and tried to extort money from them for his safe return, the Los Angeles Police Department said. Believing Hernandez was likely the victim of a crime, police called the FBI for help in the case, according to LAPD.
2 charged after body of missing college student from South L.A. found buried in Mojave Desert

I don't want to derail Alans thread, JH has his own. But a kidnapping to extort money did cross my mind in regards to Alan early on.

Less than a week after he vanished, someone contacted the family and tried to extort money from them for his safe return, the Los Angeles Police Department said. Believing Hernandez was likely the victim of a crime, police called the FBI for help in the case, according to LAPD.
2 charged after body of missing college student from South L.A. found buried in Mojave Desert

I don't want to derail Alans thread, JH has his own. But a kidnapping to extort money did cross my mind in regards to Alan early on.

Also JH had the suspect listed in his Venmo $$ account. So it looks like they knew one another somehow.

Respectfully BBM, snipped and extracted sections for commentary response.
OntarioMom pointed out that LE or MSM hasn't made any mention of a Perp, so we don't know if there is a Perp.
If it turns out there is, I align with your speculation on intelligence (or lack thereof) and age.

Amateur opinion and speculation

It's well within a reasonable scenario to suspect & speculate that there is in fact a perp, we just haven't been made aware of one. Yet. I only asked about it from your prior post mentioning the "perp's friends" in case I'd missed something in the MSM.

I mean, realistically, there are only 2 scenarios.

He disappeared on his own, willingly or not (accident, medical episode, etc. after he parked his rental where it was later found).
He disappeared at the hand of another, unwillingly.

So yes, I agree with others who assert there is a very good chance there is a perp involved.

jmo

Not expecting to get answers to any of these but just a couple of thoughts...

Toll roads:
  • We can assume that Alan had a toll tag on his daily driver. If you get on a toll road your toll tag is pinged and license plate is read.
  • I'm an ex-Dallasite. It's hard for me to get around Dallas without hitting a toll road. I know how to get everywhere and most of those routes involve a toll road. Back in the day when I was living paycheck-to-paycheck, I was pretty good at avoiding them. But now toll roads are everywhere and hard to avoid. And I'm comfortable enough financially that I don't worry about it, I just want to get there the fastest.
  • So if Alan drove the car to South Dallas, he probably took a toll road. If a low-income individual was driving his car, he might be good at avoiding them. If someone that did harm to Alan was driving the car they might avoid the toll roads because of the cameras.
  • It's pretty easy to get the data on what roads you pinged on from your toll tag account but this was a loaner. I wonder what's the normal protocol - do you take your toll tag out of your car (if you have the vel-cro on kind) and put it in the loaner? If not, does the loaner already have a tag in it?
  • I'm sure the police already know this but what was the toll tag activity on the car after Alan disappeared? Any pictures?
Wet car interior:
  • I believe this to be canon info - that the car was found with muddy tires and a wet interior.
  • The tires could be muddy because Alan met with foul play and the perps disposed of his body in an off-road location - maybe along the Trinity banks. The clay soil in Dallas can really stick to your wheels and wheel wells.
  • The interior was wet because the perps were attempting to destroy evidence. Not really that anything violent happened in the car, but they just wanted to wash away/dilute evidence that they were in the car.
  • If you look at the intersection near where the car was found, you'll see a coin operated car wash. I wonder it they tried to power-wash the interior of the car? I wonder how near/far the car was located from this place?

Last edited:
Not expecting to get answers to any of these but just a couple of thoughts...

Toll roads:
  • We can assume that Alan had a toll tag on his daily driver. If you get on a toll road your toll tag is pinged and license plate is read.
  • I'm an ex-Dallasite. It's hard for me to get around Dallas without hitting a toll road. I know how to get everywhere and most of those routes involve a toll road. Back in the day when I was living paycheck-to-paycheck, I was pretty good at avoiding them. But now toll roads are everywhere and hard to avoid. And I'm comfortable enough financially that I don't worry about it, I just want to get there the fastest.
  • So if Alan drove the car to South Dallas, he probably took a toll road. If a low-income individual was driving his car, he might be good at avoiding them. If someone that did harm to Alan was driving the car they might avoid the toll roads because of the cameras.
  • It's pretty easy to get the data on what roads you pinged on from your toll tag account but this was a loaner. I wonder what's the normal protocol - do you take your toll tag out of your car (if you have the vel-cro on kind) and put it in the loaner? If not, does the loaner already have a tag in it?
  • I'm sure the police already know this but what was the toll tag activity on the car after Alan disappeared? Any pictures?
Wet car interior:
  • I believe this to be canon info - that the car was found with muddy tires and a wet interior.
  • The tires could be muddy because Alan met with foul play and the perps disposed of his body in an off-road location - maybe along the Trinity banks. The clay soil in Dallas can really stick to your wheels and wheel wells.
  • The interior was wet because the perps were attempting to destroy evidence. Not really that anything violent happened in the car, but they just wanted to wash away/dilute evidence that they were in the car.
  • If you look at the intersection near where the car was found, you'll see a coin operated car wash. I wonder it they tried to power-wash the interior of the car? I wonder how near/far the car was located from this place?
These are excellent speculations, the scenario you offer as a speculative possibility sounds all too probable to me. (Muddy tires, etc.)

I need to see what I can find with regard to carjackings in that area. (In in fact it was a carjacking). If this is a Perp situation, I absolutely think they live near the area where the car was found...because yeah, criminals are that dumb.

I don’t want to derail Alans thread, JH has his own. But a kidnapping to extort money did cross my mind in regards to Alan early on.

Sorry, didn’t mean to derail, either, was hoping Juan’s case would add to possibilities in Alan’s case, due to similarity in how their cars were found, especially.

(Regarding the extortion attempt in the young man’s case, LAPD deemed the attempt a hoax, btw. Opportunist, I guess.)

These are excellent speculations, the scenario you offer as a speculative possibility sounds all too probable to me. (Muddy tires, etc.)

I need to see what I can find with regard to carjackings in that area. (In in fact it was a carjacking). If this is a Perp situation, I absolutely think they live near the area where the car was found...because yeah, criminals are that dumb.

I agree. If it was a carjacking I think they initially drove to the area they know, and then when they decided to dump it they wouldn’t risk driving it very far at all.

Very, very bad part of Dallas; drug infested, high crime, shootings, rapes, burglaries, stick ups, you name, you'll find it there. My family attempted to restore a house on Gaston Avenue back in the 1970's, which intersects Haskell. It got better for awhile, then went very bad again. Why would he even be in that neighborhood in the first place?

I wasn’t the one posting it—but IF Mr. White is missing as the result of a carjacking, which is one of the major lines of speculation, then there’s obviously a perp, and it’s quite plausible that a perp’s ‘friend’ might be tempted by a substantial reward.
Exactly. And why keep raising the reward amount if they (family and LI) feel self harm is likely.
MOO

Where is this info coming from? I didn't see anything in the articles I read, and posted in the media summary upthread. The gas station was a mile or less from his home as stated in MSM as well. You could certainly be accurate on these points, I just didn't see it in any of the articles.
TIA for the sources.

Hi everyone, I want you all to know that Alan is the most kind and caring person and there’s no way he would ever willingly just up and disappear. As soon as Rusty told me Alan didn’t come home I started to panic. Rusty thought maybe he got into a car accident and I remember thinking oh no I hope that’s not the case. But as the hours passed I actually started to hope that was the case. Rusty had already tried texting and calling his phone and driving by the gym and calling the hospitals and there was just no sign of him. He wasn’t planning on stopping anywhere else. I saw some suggest picking up pastries or something for us but he had already asked us earlier in the week what we’d like for breakfast when he went shopping for the week.

Rusty knew Alan was going to stop for gas either before or after the gym. We don’t know why he took that route home but we think it may be because the gas station he would’ve gone to was robbed earlier that morning and he wanted to avoid that road in case the police had it closed off.

Masked Robbers Shoot 7-Eleven Clerk Twice At Oak Lawn Store, Then Take Off

We haven’t been able to get the phone records. All we know is his last data usage was at like 6:01 am and last text he received was around 6:30 am. He would’ve charged his phone overnight so we think the SIM card was taken out.

I have seen a satellite view of where the car was found but I don’t remember the exact location. It was in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it. The seats were also wet and there was mud on the tires. It had rained really hard the day after he went missing.

We also know for a fact he didn’t make it home. There are cameras on the front and back of the house and his car never shows up.

Other details I can’t give out right now.

thelastunicorn, Nov 14, 2020Report
#738Unlike
TX - TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020

Bringing the VI's post forward-

BBM

sorry for the delay in replying, I couldn't find the link because I mistakenly thought it was the husband but it was actually the VI who said about Alan potentially taking a different route home due to crime in the area.

Very, very bad part of Dallas; drug infested, high crime, shootings, rapes, burglaries, stick ups, you name, you'll find it there. My family attempted to restore a house on Gaston Avenue back in the 1970's, which intersects Haskell. It got better for awhile, then went very bad again. Why would he even be in that neighborhood in the first place?
Well he was working out at his gym on Haskell which is right at 75 (Cityplace) & he lives on the other side of 75 around Oak Lawn.
I grew up in that general East Dallas area & lived all over around there in Lakewood, Deep Ellum, Old East Dallas, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Uptown etc.. so I know it well and if I had to live in Dallas again I’d probably live in one of those! Better than the suburbs. :rolleyes: BUT you are right that there is crime. These are cool, artsy, hip areas but for example, I was approached every day by men trying to sell me crack driving to high school in the arts district downtown from Lakewood. I didn’t really know any different really and I guess I learned street smarts. I have SO many stories...
It just wouldn’t surprise me if this were a random crime.

ETA. He actually lives closer to Highland Park/ Inwood area than Oak Lawn I believe.

Last edited:
Rusty knew Alan was going to stop for gas either before or after the gym. We don’t know why he took that route home but we think it may be because the gas station he would’ve gone to was robbed earlier that morning and he wanted to avoid that road in case the police had it closed off.

Masked Robbers Shoot 7-Eleven Clerk Twice At Oak Lawn Store, Then Take Off

thelastunicorn, Nov 14, 2020Report
#738Unlike
TX - TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020

Bringing the VI's post forward-

Did the police ever catch the 7-11 robbers? If not, I think they are worth making an extra effort to locate as persons of interest.

The 7-11 was within two miles of the Racetrack. About 5 hours before Alan was at the Racetrack, the robbers fled the 7-11 after shooting the clerk. What the media articles did not mention was whether the robbers fled on foot or with a vehicle. And one of the media reports I saw was published around the same hour that Alan disappeared - and, at the time the article was published the robbers had not been found

If they were on foot - two miles is a distance most people can walk in well under an hour. So that suggests that there were two armed and dangerous criminals on the run from a crime scene within walking distance of the area where Alan passed through.

As previously mentioned, the DART station is a short distance up Inwood from the Racetrack.

Here is what I think might be worth looking into: Do a Google Maps street view search for the intersection of Inwood and Denton Dr. Then position the view to so that you are in the northbound lane of Inwood just before the traffic light.

There are two bridges that pass over Inwood at that location - bridges containing the DART rail lines. To the immediate right of the road are two support columns for the bridges. There are also some bushes right next to the road that appear to be perhaps two or three feet high.

Is it possible that the 7-11 robbers were seeking to flee that part of town by means of the DART rail and, either through observation or speculation, feared that the police had posted someone to keep a lookout for them at the station?

At the time that Alan was in the area, it was still dark. It occurs to me that the bridge columns and the bushes would work very well to obscure someone from being able to be viewed from cars traveling by on Inwood but, at the same time, allow them to observe the traffic on Inwood.

Perhaps they hid behind the columns or bushes to monitor the traffic light cycle waiting for just the right moment when a northbound car would be the only vehicle stopped at the intersection. Perhaps that was the situation when Alan approached the intersection. It wouldn't have taken more than a few seconds to spring from behind the columns/bushes and into the roadway in front of Alan's car with their guns drawn demanding to be let into the car.

If so, Alan would have had two choices: he could hit the gas and speed through the intersection hoping that they either don't shoot or, if they do, that they miss. Or he could assume that what they were after was just the car and that it would be safer to let them have it. But, of course, if it was the 7-11 robbers, their primary motive wouldn't have been to carjack in order to sell the car but rather to flee from the scene of their previous crime and do so without any witnesses.

I would think that if I could make such a connection between the robbery and Alan's disappearance the police would have already done so as well and looked into it. But that is a possibility that occurs to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member