NY NY - Leslie, 29, Julie, 6, & Timothy Guthrie, 3, drove away from home, Katonah, 6 Feb 1977

OK, this is probably going to sound stupid, but please bear with me as I am new to all of this. Since this case (I assume) is still active, would the police share ANY information they have on it if someone were to call them and ask? I am trying to figure out if anyone knows the route that Leslie would have taken on her trip back to White Plains. Based on limited research, it appears that I-684 was probably completed at this time. I would find it very difficult for a car to run off of an interstate, and into the water without anyone seeing. However, if she chose to take a lesser road, such as Route 22, then the possibility of her crashing without notice goes up, in my opinion.

OK, this is probably going to sound stupid, but please bear with me as I am new to all of this. Since this case (I assume) is still active, would the police share ANY information they have on it if someone were to call them and ask? I am trying to figure out if anyone knows the route that Leslie would have taken on her trip back to White Plains. Based on limited research, it appears that I-684 was probably completed at this time. I would find it very difficult for a car to run off of an interstate, and into the water without anyone seeing. However, if she chose to take a lesser road, such as Route 22, then the possibility of her crashing without notice goes up, in my opinion.

I don't see why you couldn't ask what the most likely route would have been.

I am trying to find resources for my hunch. The Youtube video below shows just how far technology has advanced and possible ways to do some additional investigating.

That's pretty sophisticated equipment, especially for fishing!

Who should I talk to on this site about posting someone else's website? I am new and do not want to break the rules, but I have garnered at least initial interest from someone who has their own website who dives to find sunken vehicles (some with bodies, some without).

I think the rules state we can post links from main stream media.

OK....all, please bear with me as I dream a little dream. So much of my hunch is dependent on getting information from the Bedford Police Department. However, I have followed Jared Leisek on Youtube for a number of years. He is a diver who posts videos on Youtube about finding and removing vehicles underwater both for the ecological benefits as well as the investigative benefits. I reached out to Jared and he has at least initially shown some interest. Keeping in mind that we have a ton more research to do.

I can't remember, so if someone can please refresh my memory.
Leslie picked up her kids to take them to White Plains.
Did they ever make it to White Plains, do we know?

I can't remember, so if someone can please refresh my memory.
Leslie picked up her kids to take them to White Plains.
Did they ever make it to White Plains, do we know?

Based on everything I have read here, including the multiple news reports, there is no indication that Leslie and her children made it back to White Plains. This being said, there is also no indication that she did not....

I’m wondering if she pulled off somewhere on a back road so a little one could relieve themselves. She could have easily slide off the road into a body of water. I grew up ice skating and it’s very rare to find a lake that could bear weight of a car. If it was very cold, it could have frozen over the hole made in the ice by a car. Then cover that with snow, falling or blown around. With the too small boots, she could have made an error braking or with the gas. Sadly, I think they are in a body of water.

I’m wondering if she pulled off somewhere on a back road so a little one could relieve themselves. She could have easily slide off the road into a body of water. I grew up ice skating and it’s very rare to find a lake that could bear weight of a car. If it was very cold, it could have frozen over the hole made in the ice by a car. Then cover that with snow, falling or blown around. With the too small boots, she could have made an error braking or with the gas. Sadly, I think they are in a body of water.

I think they may be in a body of water, too.

I found what appears to be a submerged item in a little pond off the 684 exit near Katonah. I can't tell what it is exactly, it appears square, but it could be nothing.
If this body of water was flooded back in the day to make a water reservoir, it's not unheard of for old houses and buildings to be underwater, so it could be that. My state has a submerged town from water management/conservation. Here are some pictures from Google Earth.
I can't tell how big it is from the map perspective.
KathonahMap2.jpg KathonahMap1.jpg

Attachments

• Sumbergeditem1.jpg
    Sumbergeditem1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OMG! I am not able to zoom in on your images. Is there any chance you can share them or tell me what on Google Earth you focused on?

Mike

I found what appears to be a submerged item in a little pond off the 684 exit near Katonah. I can't tell what it is exactly, it appears square, but it could be nothing.
If this body of water was flooded back in the day to make a water reservoir, it's not unheard of for old houses and buildings to be underwater, so it could be that. My state has a submerged town from water management/conservation. Here are some pictures from Google Earth.
I can't tell how big it is from the map perspective.
View attachment 263167 View attachment 263168

There are lots of submerged farms and buildings under many of the reservoirs near there; like you, I believe she may have gone into one of these bodies of water around Katonah. I wish they could find her car

I have been in contact with a wonderful guy/group MrLeisek's Adventures with Purpose

IF we can provide them with enough information, they may be willing to help. Unfortunately, the Bedford Police Department has not responded to emails or phone calls....

Last edited:
OMG! I am not able to zoom in on your images. Is there any chance you can share them or tell me what on Google Earth you focused on?

Mike
There is an exit to Katonah off 684N, and to the right of it is a body of water. The exit ends at an intersection, but the map doesn't give me a name of the cross street. The body of water is in the corner of the intersection, on the right. That's the best description I can give, sorry.

I see it now. Thank you. However, in the back of my mind, I question if she could have crashed from an Interstate into water without leaving evidence, such as broken guard rails, etc., and also having no one see her. I still wonder if she took a different route as opposed to I-684.

OK, if I could get a little local help, it would be appreciated for my "wild goose chase". One of the articles I came across on this case stated that Leslie was leaving Katonah with the kids to pick up her Mother at 5PM at IBM in Armonk, NY. I have no way to verify this, but bear with me. Using my hypothesis that Leslie did not travel I-684, but rather may have used Route 22 or 118, can anyone verify if the current IBM location was where they were located in 1977? I found a news article from 1977 stating that IBM was looking to move to a new site?

OK, if I could get a little local help, it would be appreciated for my "wild goose chase". One of the articles I came across on this case stated that Leslie was leaving Katonah with the kids to pick up her Mother at 5PM at IBM in Armonk, NY. I have no way to verify this, but bear with me. Using my hypothesis that Leslie did not travel I-684, but rather may have used Route 22 or 118, can anyone verify if the current IBM location was where they were located in 1977? I found a news article from 1977 stating that IBM was looking to move to a new site?

I’ve only lived here since 1992, and IBM was there at that time (and no longer is, as of just a couple of years ago). I’ll see if I can find out

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back