UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 *ARREST* #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only they'd phoned their housemate to tell them she was on her way home and to meet her from the taxi.

All ifs and buts, but her friends did the sensible thing in ensuring she arrived back home. It's so sad that she actually arrived safely but ultimately ended up in the clutches of a monster
Before hearing the house mates statements today I feared that they may have said we put her in a taxi, told her to text us, then didn't realise we had not heard from her. I am pleased that it was not the case. They had realised she had not text and although they thought she had passed out they nevertheless contacted the other house mate, left the club to go drive the streets, messaged her mum and called police all before 4am. On a different case their quick actions might have made the difference. Sadly not in Libbys case.

15:35
Officer in charge of recovering CCTV footage of Libby now giving evidence
Detective Constable James Grandidge has been called to give evidence

DC Grandidge was tasked with recovering and analysing CCTV for the case.

He says that when it was known Libby had not come home and police became involved in looking for her he was asked to look at CCTV where she had been seen by witnesses.

The jury is being shown a map which shows the location of the CCTV cameras for which footage is relevant to the case.

DC Grandidge says whether they should look at a certain CCTV camera is based on intelligence received by Humberside Police.

He says officers then go and look at houses and businesses in the area to see if they have CCTV so they can recover it.

DC Grandidge says a total of two hours and eight minutes of footage is relevant to this case.

He says “viewings are always targeted at previous movements” before the police create a “storyboard” of footage.

Libby Squire murder and rape trial - flatmates describe final night

I know it’s undisputed that Libby didn’t have her phone with her but I’m finding it tricky ascertaining where her phone was: her boyfriend says she texted him a photo @22:30 which must have been from the Cromer St friends house;she told the darts match men her friends had her phone so how did they think she would text if that was the case. The narrative isn’t clear on this.

I know it’s undisputed that Libby didn’t have her phone with her but I’m finding it tricky ascertaining where her phone was: her boyfriend says she texted him a photo @22:30 which must have been from the Cromer St friends house;she told the darts match men her friends had her phone so how did they think she would text if that was the case. The narrative isn’t clear on this.
I wonder if the friend who was at home had gone to the house party, then taken it home with her?

I read previously she left her phone at home as screen broke on a night out before. She text her boyfriend from her friends phone and he replied (I think his statement says this).

14:39
Witness saw Libby shouting at a car: 'Don't leave me'
Mr Handisides says he saw “a girl at the bus stop” as he passed it. He says he then turned into the Endsleigh Centre to get home.

Mr Handisides said he crossed the road at the traffic lights, at around the point where Beverley Road and Haworth Street joined.

He says: “Initially, I could see vehicle headlights in Haworth Street, pointing into Beverley Road, maneuvering and then movement in the shadows to my left and I noticed a young girl on the ground, close to the bus stop.

“She was shouting towards the car, ‘Don’t leave me.’ I would say she was angry. It was more of a cross way rather than a pleading way.”

Mr Handisides said he carried on home and did not see Libby again.

At this point she had already met PR and he had gone back to his car to “warm it up for her”. She could have thought the leaving car was his and was probably shouting to him. I would argue this is strong evidence she got in his car on her own will.

15:55
Relowicz's jeans allowed police to track him in later footage
Relowicz is flicking through the bundle also given to the jury which shows the ‘storyboard’ of the footage

DC Grandidge says the footage on Haworth Street showed the silver Astra so officers were told to look for any footage featuring that.

CCTV footage will now be worked through as evidence.

Relowicz’s home at 24 Raglan Street, Libby’s house, Oak Road Playing Fields and Hull city centre have all been marked on an interactive map.

A clip from McDonald’s Cottingham Road at 9.45pm on January 30 is being shown to the jury. It shows Relowicz arriving and leaving the fast food outlet.

CCTV from January 31

The footage starts at 8.37pm and shows Relowicz driving to Tesco on Hall Road from Newland Avenue.

The interactive map is showing the jury the journey he took from Newland Avenue, onto Cottingham Road and onto Beverley Road.

Part of the footage at the Tesco petrol station shows the Astra’s registration number and Relowicz wearing black and white Adidas trainers.

CCTV from inside the store at the petrol station is being played to the jury and shows Relowicz wearing jeans with black bands around the leg, which DC James Grandidge says allowed the police to identify him in later footage.

At this point she had already met PR and he had gone back to his car to “warm it up for her”. She could have thought the leaving car was his and was probably shouting to him. I would argue this is strong evidence she got in his car on her own will.
There is circumstantial evidence both ways e.g. Sainsbury's manager saying she shouted don't leave me but her watch was present at point of getting into car which arguably suggests he had hold of her wrist and pulled it hard enough the watch came off. Having said that, I still personally think it's irrelevant as defence just cannot show she had capacity to consent or regained capacity within say 20 minutes maximum. There is more to come from both defence and prosecution on this point I think.

I think this also ..I think he had somehow persuaded her he was safe and was going to give her a lift ...and when she saw the other car driving off she shouted at it annoyed

16:06
CCTV shows Relowicz's first trip to Oak Road playing fields that evening
The interactive map shows the route Relowicz took from the Tesco petrol station on Hall Road to Oak Road Playing Fields.

DC James Grandidge says the jury will see his car driving around the student area.

He said: “There doesn’t seem to be any direction to his travel.”

The CCTV shows him driving on Beverley Road, back to Newland Avenue and “in and out of those streets.”

DC Grandidge says Relowicz only stops during this journey to the playing fields for around ten minutes on Alexandra Road.

Mr Wright says: “He ends his journey at Oak Road Playing Fields for the first time this evening.”

It wouldn't surprise me also if the defence try to make something of why she was "happy" to go with him but not others
Yes, they may perhaps try and distinguish her reaction to him from those people she encountered previously and even possibly suggest instant chemistry or some rubbish. Sad thing is when I look at it and think in her position there was a young guy, who may have said 'look I'm married I have young kids, look at my phone, I will help you, my wife would kill me if I left you. ' I would have probably trusted him too especially over someone older. I will never believe she saw him even for a second as anything other than a safe way home.

I think there's probably some truth in (part of) these versions - that he offered to take Libby to her mum's. It explains why she would shout for him not to leave.

[What Relowicz told police ]
- He said he had asked if she was alright and she had told him she wanted to go home to her mum, the court heard, so he offered to drive her there.

[What Relowicz told his colleague ] - The girl was crying and asking for her mum as he drove her.

[ Relowicz's 'expected' defence in court ] - He will say he thought that she was directing him to her mother’s address and that is what led to him being parked up on the Oak Road playing fields.

Libby Squire trial - the five versions of what happened that night

16:13
Images of Oak Road playing fields
DC Grandidge says they can see it is Relowicz’s car arriving at the playing fields due to the timing of it, how long it would take to get there from his last location and whether any other cars were seen in the area at that time.

Mr Wright is explaining a “tenfoot” to Justice Lambert as they discuss locations around Oak Road Playing Fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member