Found Deceased MT - Mildred Alexis Oldcrow, 7, Lodge Grass, March 2019 *arrests*

upload_2021-2-20_3-51-41.png
In a breaking episode of Vanished: A Native American Epidemic, we dive into a major development in the case of Mildred Old Crow.

Mildred was identified as missing on Nov. 25, 2020 by the FBI and BIA, after some family members reported that she had not been seen since July of 2018.

Two women who were Mildred's court-appointed guardians were charged with endangering the welfare of a child by the Crow Tribe in connection to Mildred's disappearance.

On Feb. 17 the body of a child was found on the Reservation. The Big Horn County Sheriff’s Office says available evidence strongly suggests the body is that of Mildred Old Crow.

This breaking episode of Vanished shares more details surrounding Mildred's disappearance.

You can download and listen to the episode here.
Piecing together the disappearance of Mildred Old Crow

View attachment 285184
In a breaking episode of Vanished: A Native American Epidemic, we dive into a major development in the case of Mildred Old Crow.

Mildred was identified as missing on Nov. 25, 2020 by the FBI and BIA, after some family members reported that she had not been seen since July of 2018.

Two women who were Mildred's court-appointed guardians were charged with endangering the welfare of a child by the Crow Tribe in connection to Mildred's disappearance.

On Feb. 17 the body of a child was found on the Reservation. The Big Horn County Sheriff’s Office says available evidence strongly suggests the body is that of Mildred Old Crow.

This breaking episode of Vanished shares more details surrounding Mildred's disappearance.

Not available in the UK

View attachment 285184

Not av

Prosecutors say Mildred’s guardian didn’t bring her to court as ordered in December.

The two women are behind bars at Rocky Mountain Detention Center in Hardin.

Our search for answers highlights problems advocates say must be changed.

We called the Crow Agency law enforcement, but the man on the other end, who didn’t want to give us his name, said the 8-year-old’s body had not been found.

The FBI said they were unable to comment and referred us to the Big Horn County Sheriff’s Office. However, the office’s dispatch said they had no information and that the officer who’s dealing with the case will not be in until Monday.

We spoke to organizers with Montana Missing and Murdered Indigenous People, a grassroots advocacy organization.

“We have policies and laws that are written for us that have a lot of holes in them and a lot of inability for state, tribal, local, federal agencies to be working together,” co-organizer Patrick Yawakie said.

He says when you ask one agency if they have information, they may be holding back or not interfering because they think another agency will handle it.

Yawakie says nothing is written that says agencies have to work together.

“People like Jermain Charlo and Ashley Heavy Runner, who have been missing for so long, and you have -- like Mildred was missing for a year. People were saying they hadn’t seen her for maybe two years,” Yawakie said.

MMIP’s focus is to get the word out that people are missing. Organizers say they work with other organizations as well as federal and state agencies.
Advocates discuss missing and murdered Indigenous crisis after girl’s body found

The native nations are a separate government and have regs and rules that they are bound to follow.
This leads to confusion in cases that the FBI and SO have been working. The Native Nations are bound to do what their rules tell them. I am unsure about the BIA, does anyone else know ? TIA MOO

The native nations are a separate government and have regs and rules that they are bound to follow.
This leads to confusion in cases that the FBI and SO have been working. The Native Nations are bound to do what their rules tell them. I am unsure about the BIA, does anyone else know ? TIA MOO

I know what happens on the ground. From direct experience. Usually, local folks "know" what happened, or details. Tribal police, usually try to stay out of "family matters". (Eye roll).

Any felonies that occur on reservations are considered federal crimes, and under jurisdiction of federal officers, FBI. Kidnapping, murder...

FBI goes to investigate, locals shut down. Rural life is different...around and around it goes.

This is so, so sad...I did not want to believe that. This is a child, anyway..
I'll never frigging understand, why???
This says not 100% positive.
Available evidence strongly suggests the identity of the child as Mildred Old Crow, a child born in 2012 and reported as a Missing and Endangered Person on November 24, 2020 by the Montana Department of Justice. DNA testing is being done to confirm the child’s identity to the highest degree of scientific probability.
Child remains found on Crow Reservation

I can't say much...but I bet she was reported "missing" because someone was following up on her. "Oh yeah, um...she is "missing".".

There is a back story here. We are not seeing the whole picture here. I say this, because I taught school on two reservations. The Navajo rez down in four corners, is the same...people, kids, elderly, are just "missing". Never reported, until someone, usually from "outside" is looking for them.
I wonder if relatives of Mildred Alexis Old Crow who didn't live on the rez was who reported her missing?? Custodial issues between biological parents?

I wonder if relatives of Mildred Alexis Old Crow who didn't live on the rez was who reported her missing?? Custodial issues between biological parents?
We don't know if the relatives that reported her missing live on the reservation, but it appears that Millie's connection to the reservation and the tribe runs pretty deep, she might actually be closely related to Chief Pretty Eagle, but I could be mistaken.

We don't know if her parents are alive, do we?

It all varies from reservation to reservation. This particular tribal police department is relatively new (formed back in June of 2020) and was formed after the tribe determined that the BIA was failing in its duties to police. The BIA policed them through June 27th 2020. What applies to one reservation can be wildly different on another. It depends on the relationship between the tribal government, its constitution & regulations and their relationship with the state. Usually though, the FBI will step in if the level of crime dictates it.

Crow Tribe forms police department

I can't say much...but I bet she was reported "missing" because someone was following up on her. "Oh yeah, um...she is "missing".".

There is a back story here. We are not seeing the whole picture here. I say this, because I taught school on two reservations. The Navajo rez down in four corners, is the same...people, kids, elderly, are just "missing". Never reported, until someone, usually from "outside" is looking for them.
This exactly is the primary reason there is such a problem with "missing and murdered indigenous women". There have been generations of this kind of culture that people from outside the tribes are just recently becoming aware of, in some cases using it to victimize but for the most part just finding it outrageous. I hope the culture changes and the lay tribespeople find out they can call the FBI they suspect that someone they love or they themselves have been the victim of a major crime.

That is a tall order, given the history of native peoples and the government in any form.
So awfully sad that the missing are left with little representation and resources when time is so short ☹️ MOO heartbreaking

We don't know if the relatives that reported her missing live on the reservation, but it appears that Millie's connection to the reservation and the tribe runs pretty deep, she might actually be closely related to Chief Pretty Eagle, but I could be mistaken.

We don't know if her parents are alive, do we?
No, I haven't really looked anything up on this..I have so, so many questions..

FEB 20, 2021
Body found on Crow Reservation believed to be little girl missing for nearly 2 years – Crime Online
[...]

Tribal Chairman Frank White Clay reported Thursday that the body discovered was that of Mildred Old Crow. While the Big Horn Sheriff’s Office said the evidence “strongly suggests” the identity is Mildred Old Crow, they said they are awaiting results of a DNA test to confirm.

“My hope is that we can find closure, grieve together and work to ensure that children are protected and supported on the Crow Reservation and beyond. We want justice for this child and for all of the victims of the epidemic of people missing from reservations across the country,” White Clay said.

[...]

Opposed to other non-tribal police departments that routinely get into family matters of people in their jurisdiction?

Yeah, I should have emphasized that in rural areas, it is because everyone "knows" everyone else. It complicates things...there are so many layers to what happens on the rez. Family, relationships, culture, crime, community status...and when you live in a very tight community...it is a lot more complex.

Indian country jurisdiction - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back