CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t heard of a single case (there may be some, but none I’ve followed) where the children are removed from their father when mom is missing. Not until father is arrested then the children are removed to be cared for elsewhere.

It’s a sad and scary situation but think if your spouse was missing and then in addition to that trauma, your children are removed from the home.

I truly hope they are safe as this is already a heartbreaking thing to go through losing your mom. Hope it is not a josh Powell situation.

Very valid points, @Curious Me.

I didn't expect that the children would be taken from their home, but it is a worrying situation because they are so young and I always have the Susan Powell case in the back of my mind. I just hope someone is keeping a close eye on the children. I find it especially concerning that he has pulled back from Maya's family and the children acted stand-offish.

I would hope the police family liaison officer has offered counseling for them. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Also, offering is one thing. The kids actually going is another. If my spouse was missing and I was involved or even hiding something else big, the last place I would want my young children is at a counselor.

MOO

There’s only 2 ways to get them out.

1. A child accuses the parent of a crime and tells a mandatory reporter or, a teacher, a doctor, etc. see evidence of physical abuse.

2. Someone files for temporary custody as a result of a crime or imminent danger. A relative can petition the court but they need lots of fact to back it up.

Those who’ve never known or seen child neglect find it horrifying to think these girls left alone were traumatized. If that was a normal occurrence, they knew how to fend for themselves. Fix cereal, make a sandwich, sign on to school via video. Fortunately, they were inside a safe home, with food available. It doesn’t make it right, of course. I’m certain they were confused as to what was going on. It’s just not enough to get CPS involved.

Our mother left the 5 of us, aged 1-11, alone for days. We stole food to survive. Nobody had any idea what was going on for quite some time. She did lose custody of 4 of us, eventually. I was the only one she got back, unfortunately. Now that was CPS worthy - no food, no heat, no supervision, etc.
I am so sorry you had to insure horrible circumstances as a child. Thank you for sharing. Hugs.

I've been following this case since early on, and have read every post you have all contributed, such thoughtful insight you have all shared! I have tried to keep an open mind throughout, and truly try to consider any other possibility other than LM having contributed to MM going missing. That said, I generally follow Occam's razor theory, in that the simplest explanation is likely the truth. But where IS she?! It's beyond frustrating and puzzling...and the 'beach trip' with their son on Friday is certainly the most blatant red flag. Just all of it..the locked bedroom door and the rustling downstairs, and LM's weird theories..

This case has so many similarities and parallels to the local case I have been pursuing and investigating. Sadly, mine is an almost 20 year old cold case. But with none of the technology of today, ring doorbells, cell phone data, etc..I keep hoping MM will be found and somehow that will help my quest in finding out what happened to Sharon Shechter - missing and presumed murdered mother of 3, who left to go pick up her kids from her estranged husband's home and 'never arrived'. Her heavily bloodied van was found 3 days later at a nearby hotel, at which time the husband lawyered up and stopped cooperating with authorities. He then began distancing the kids from their grandmother and his wife's family (much like LM). Their divorce was to be finalized three weeks after she went missing..

I don't mean to take anything away from MM, I'm trying to use her case and all of your thoughts and suggestions as fuel for mine. It's so beyond sad, and the poor children who are the innocent victims in these cases, who then have to carry this with them for the rest of their lives. And also the likely brainwashing and manipulation.. Sadder, even, is that MM and Sharon's cases are nothing new or unordinary, really. I'm SO glad to see that MM's family has not given up and have continued with the media coverage, speaking out and ground searches, good for them. I hope for their sake and the kids they have answers soon and some type of conclusion..so it is not cold on a shelf 20 years from now. Positive vibes to all, and keep up the great work everyone, I love this community - you're rockstars!

I just can’t stop thinking about those two poor girls, alone all day in that house. Their phones were off, their father’s phone was off, apparently their mother’s phone was also off.

Did anyone leave a note for them? Were they already up when he left with the little boy? I just can’t stop thinking about what must have felt like for a 11-year-old and a 9-year-old to be all alone in that house without being able to contact anyone. They’re kids, yes, older kids, but still kids. All day, no mom, no dad. Just the two of them waiting.

And then, dad comes home with their little brother, apparently he didn’t ask
where mom is. Mom was not there, obviously. Then, he also doesn’t ask who made them lunch? Who supervised online school?

Mom never comes home, family starts showing up and asking where mom is. Mom is not there. And then, the police, and then the media.

It’s cruel. Those poor kids.

‘I don’t think it’s that strange that during this pandemic, that 2 kids that age would be left alone all day. Right now with the schools being strictly online in many districts in California that there are many kids being left at home alone when single parents or both parents work. Although May might have been teleworking, it could be that she was only teleworking part time. Not sure whether LM was teleworking or not.

Incredible interview by Chris McDonough this past evening. The most concrete details I’ve ever heard about this case since the beginning.

boy it is tough to not point fingers as an investigator or family member. Great interview.

moderator. Feel free to delete this if I’ve shared too much. All of this was deduced from the interview. If anything, observations and not personal opinion.

clear facts

1. Larry is not cooperating, has not spoken to the family for weeks and has provided the family with zero reason why.

2. Last time that Maya was reported to be seen was Thursday evening (only reported by the kids)

3. Maya and Larry’s phones were off on Friday

4. Larry was out for most of the day Friday

5. Mayas phone has disappeared

6. Family has been in touch with detective every other day

7. The kids have been questioned by authorities

8. Not all missing persons cases get search warrants on home. And not common in situations where folks are cooperating.

Observations shared by viewers and investigator

1. Police know when both Larry and Mayas phone went off. Likely was part of the sealed evidence to obtain a search warrant for the house.
  2. Based on the family responses, The family indeed has concerns about Larry
  3. Homicide investigator mentioned that If Larry was innocent, his lawyer should be encouraging him to get in front of media as much as possible as we’ve seen in past homicide / missing persons cases.
  4. Larry is a person of interest. Just not officially stated.

Last edited:
They're going to keep the searches going for Maya. Her sister and BIL don't even live in the San Diego area, and have put so much time and energy into finding Maya. So beautiful are all the searchers, all the supporters, and all the people on this thread caring. Prayers for her family to stay strong.

Missing Chula Vista mom Maya Millete: Volunteers search Spring Valley Swap Meet trails (fox5sandiego.com)

“We’re not from here. We live in Riverside County,” Richard Drouaillet said. “So when we talk to people, or they reach out to us, it’s a blessing from God, you know, that people are here together as a team, as a family.”

Search for missing Chula Vista mom continues near Spring Valley Swap Meet (10news.com)
Lauren Ireland said she doesn’t know Maya, but has been following the story of the missing mom of three who vanished in January. Lauren said she was hiking in Spring Valley and wondered if there might be clues there. She said it’s an area where there are some trails but it tends to be empty, so suspicious activity could be hidden. It’s also near the Spring Valley Swap Meet, and Maya loves swap meets. Plus, it’s not too far from Maya’s home.

This might not be a popular comment. I know there is genuine concern for the children. Please know I am not on the father's side, and have the same concerns as you. I am just imagining if someone took my children away like what is being suggested. I'm trying to think of cases where the children were taken away from a parent not named a suspect. Taken away, not due to neglect or bad caretaking, but taken away based on just suspicion. Has there been a case or cases like that?

As much as we would all like to see the children not be in the home with LM and possibly his family at this time, the law can't just snatch them away, He is their legal parent. The children are not being abused. He has not been named a suspect. Who is to say where it is best for the children to go? CPS and/or the courts would have to stick their necks out legally to decide to take children away from a parent. Some place neutral would be best. Foster care? JMO, The fact is I don't think there's a legal way to take those children away and put them with Maya's family at this time.

Perhaps because he left the two daughter home alone, they could say it was neglect? What do you think?

Rather than throw tomatoes at me, Please, I'd like to hear what you think can be done legally to get those kids away from their parent who is still not named a suspect. Why would they place them with Maya's family rather than LM's family? I'm trying to see this from a legal perspective. LM's attorney would be involved I'm sure.

All just my own thoughts.

I agree. Foster care? It’s not a panacea. Consider that right now there’s a case being discussed vigorously in Websleuths, where there’s serious suspicion that the foster parents are at fault in the disappearance of children.

Incredible interview by Chris McDonough this past evening. The most concrete details I’ve ever heard about this case since the beginning.

boy it is tough to not point fingers as an investigator or family member. Great interview.

moderator. Feel free to delete this if I’ve shared too much. All of this was deduced from the interview. If anything, observations and not personal opinion.

clear facts

1. Larry is not cooperating, has not spoken to the family for weeks and has provided the family with zero reason why.

2. Last time that Maya was reported to be seen was Thursday evening (only reported by the kids)

3. Maya and Larry’s phones were off on Friday

4. Larry was out for most of the day Friday

5. Mayas phone has disappeared

6. Family has been in touch with detective every other day

7. The kids have been questioned by authorities

8. Not all missing persons cases get search warrants on home. And not common in situations where folks are cooperating.

Observations shared by viewers and investigator

1. Police know when both Larry and Mayas phone went off. Likely was part of the sealed evidence to obtain a search warrant for the house.
  2. Based on the family responses, The family indeed has concerns about Larry
  3. Homicide investigator mentioned that If Larry was innocent, his lawyer should be encouraging him to get in front of media as much as possible as we’ve seen in past homicide / missing persons cases.
  4. Larry is a person of interest. Just not officially stated.

Homicide investigator mentioned. That just gives me the chills. I think LE was surprised but at the same time not really surprised by Larry already taking the 5th.

Must say that Larry displays more and more worrisome behaviours.

- he's uncooperative;
- he's not looking for Maya;
- he is isolating his kids from Maya's family;
- he himself is not talking to the family.

I get here some heavy Powell vibes too and just hope someone is watching the situation carefully, so it won't develop into a horror.

I have a case I always mention that reminds me of this one. Missing wife, Elizabeth Sullivan in San Diego, was in a freezer for two years before husband dumped her in the bay and left town with the 2 little girls and a new woman. He got dragged back and was found guilty of stabbing her to death in their bedroom. Yes, LE missed the evidence galore back then, but found some hidden in the attic years later. See, people thought Elizabeth ran off and left her family. Sound familiar?
Me too, praying that Maya is found soon.

Thank You both for bringing up this other case. That is really sad. He probably did it, and got away with it. However, it's understandable what the judge had to do-- if there's no evidence it won't get a conviction. That's why I must remind myself in this case to have patience and understand CVPD has to build a solid case before an arrest can be made. Then, when it goes to trial it's extremely important to have conclusive solid evidence that the defense can't poo-poo away.

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife - The San Diego Union-Tribune
"... the case against Hector Garcia Martinez, 41, was dismissed. He had been accused of killing 38-year-old Maria Elena Guzman Cordova, who disappeared from their Vista apartment in October 2017."

"In court filings arguing that the case should be dismissed for lack of evidence, Martinez’s attorney said there was no physical evidence linking Martinez to his wife’s death and argued that forensic evidence exonerated him."

"Cadaver dogs, she noted, did not hit on anything in the family’s apartment or cars. Trash bags seized from Martinez’s work truck days after Guzman’s disappearance did not match the types of trash bags in which her remains were found 11 months later."

"A court filing from the defense indicates Washington was not the first judge to be troubled by the case."

BBM & MOO

Hi. Just talkin quinky-dinks on a Monday....

The Martinez case happened in *San Diego area* 2017,
her remains found 2018, judge dismissed case against the husband in 2019. Husband admitted he argued with her.(She had told people the marriage was over ) According to him, she took off on foot with no car, nothing ...he said, a walk to cool off. Husband drove away next day ( her body allegedly in trunk) with his five yr old that he dropped off at his parents. Then he allegedly traveled 2 1/2 hours, dumped her body (trash bag) in mountains.
Such parallels IMO. Could a local perp read about and remember this outcome?
That’s if a perp mentioned (in phone interview) reading & watching about crimes and how things work. I always wondered if Scott Peterson based his evil plan on a pregnant woman who was kidnapped for her baby ...coupled with a woman’s body was (previous Laci )found washed up on the beach in northern CA.

MOO
“Divorce was always an option, not murder!” ~ Sharon Rocha

I keep thinking about the two girls being questioned about their mom and how sad that must have been for them. If I understand correctly, a parent has to give consent for the child to be questioned alone. Were they interviewed together or separately? Did their parent stay in the room?

In the beginning, what were the children told to say? We all know they’re being influenced by those closest to them. Them being standoffish to moms family so soon is proof of that, IMO. Now they must be feeling like they’re walking on eggshells. Worried they’ll upset their remaining parent and lose him too.

In 1969, when I was 7, someone knocked on the door. I opened it and 2 tall men in suits stood there. One man said “Why aren’t you in school?” I just looked at him and shut the door. I went to my moms room to see if she was there. She was passed out. I woke her up and asked her what to do. She said to tell them I was sick. I was not sick.

I opened the door and they were still standing there. I said “I’m sick.” I shut the door, went back in my moms room and asked her who they were. She said Truant Officers and don’t open the door anymore. It was many years later before I realized what was going on back then.

My point being, those girls said exactly what they were told to say. JMO

‘I don’t think it’s that strange that during this pandemic, that 2 kids that age would be left alone all day. Right now with the schools being strictly online in many districts in California that there are many kids being left at home alone when single parents or both parents work. Although May might have been teleworking, it could be that she was only teleworking part time. Not sure whether LM was teleworking or not.
Yeah... if you say it like that. But you have to look at the bigger picture.

They were supposedly left alone at home, without knowing where either parent was and without the means to contact them. And then, their mom goes missing.

I found this very interesting.
Time stamp 1:09:20 on the live:
(Commenter): “Is NCIS investigating?”

excerpt from Chris’s response:
“.......there’s some other situation going on involving folks in the Navy.......if they’re doing a parallel investigation because of what her work function is, that is a possibility.........”

MOO

The Martinez case happened in *San Diego area* 2017,
her remains found 2018, judge dismissed case against the husband in 2019.
^^rsbm

I'm not familiar with this case. Why did Judge dismiss the case against the husband? Dismissed with or without prejudice? Was there insufficient evidence at the time to proceed with charges?

(A case dismissed without prejudice means the husband can still face criminal charges).

ETA:

Take note the Martinez case (Maria Elena Guzman, victim) a perfect example of why LE/DA are silent on MM case -- protecting the integrity of the investigation, and not racing to name/charge a suspect.

DA only gets one bite at the apple, and for the Guzman case, they obvisouly filed before ready and now they are prevented from prosecuting Martinez even if he confesses or more evidence surfaces. Nobody ever wants this result. Patience is golden.

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife

Last edited:

Kids Home Alone? Distance Learning, Parents, And Safety - San Bernardino County District Attorney.

ARE THEY OLD ENOUGH?

First, check with your local city to see if any local ordinances are specifying at which age a child may be left alone. In California, there is no specific law regarding the age a child may be left home alone. Factors should be taken into account, such as the maturity and emotional level of the child, and any medical or psychological issues or disabilities have to be considered.

This is from the CA Department of Education updated January 21, 2021. Parts are BBM.
LE may know the answers to these questions, but it is most concerning to me that the children's phones were blocked from Maya's family. I hope that the girls had access to LM or a neighbor. Eleven hours is a long time for children 11 and 9 to be cut off from all communication. IMO

ARE THEY OLD ENOUGH?

The CA Departmet of Education has additional guidelines. (updated January 21, 2021) Here's a few with parts BBM:
  • Will you or another adult always be available to your child in case of an emergency?
  • Is a neighbor home to help if needed?
How would your child handle:
  • Strangers on the telephone or at the door?
  • Being locked out of the house? Fire?
  • Arguments with a sister or brother?
  • An insect bite or a skinned knee?
Before your child stays home alone, write out the house rules and put them in an easy-to-find place. Let your child know that he may change his mind and go back to after-school care if he chooses. Decide on a trial period to iron out the wrinkles and modify the rules if needed. At this time, you may decide it is best to put your child back into a child care program. Use the trial period to review house rules, first aid, and safety skills.
Consider establishing rules on the following:
  • How long your child will be alone
  • Which friends may come to your home
  • Television—what programs may be watched?
  • Food she may eat
  • Using the stove, telephone, computer, appliances, or tools
  • Leaving the house
  • How she can reach you
Home Alone? - Child Development (CA Dept of Education)

EDITED: Somewhere I 'magically' entered an alternative poster world...it's mostly fixed. Sorry Seattle1, some of your post was lost in this fiasco. For anyone else interested, Seattle's post is right above this one.

Last edited:
It was three years between the time Susan Powell went missing and the tragedy of the house explosion. We will always have to consider if it could happen again.

I haven't heard any concern from Maya's family about the children's safety or physical welfare. However, they never thought this member of their family would act like he's been acting lately either. It's been worrisome that the children are being kept away from Maya's family entirely now, and possibly being influenced to think a certain way.

Not necessarily in this case, but in general, all it might take is someone saying to a child- "If the Police think even mistakenly that your Daddy hurt your Mother, they might come and put him in jail." Imagine how this could scare a child into clamming up if asked anything further about what they heard or saw.

Maricris said in the latest "The Interview Room" podcast that she tried to contact LM to invite the children to one of their cousin's birthdays. LM did not respond. Now, why would he want to cut off all ties with Maya's family? If ever the kids need to be around Maya's family and their cousins, it's now. I won't even say it makes no sense how LM is acting. It makes too much sense, IMO.

All just my own thoughts and MOOs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads