TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could those illegally pawned guns be related to this case and why would LE want to conceal that fact if they were?

If the pawn shop sold any of the guns wouldn't there be records showing who bought them allowing LE to retrieve them? I'm not seeing anything that suggests a gun was used let alone stolen guns from a LE evidence room. JMO

Two Former Ellis Co. Deputies Pawned Stolen Guns: Warrant

Yes, any gun a registered dealer handles has records. These guys would, or should, have known that. Not Mensa candidates I'm guessing. I’m sure not.

How could those illegally pawned guns be related to this case and why would LE want to conceal that fact if they were?

If the pawn shop sold any of the guns wouldn't there be records showing who bought them allowing LE to retrieve them? I'm not seeing anything that suggests a gun was used let alone stolen guns from a LE evidence room. JMO

Two Former Ellis Co. Deputies Pawned Stolen Guns: Warrant

Why would guns be related to Missy when she was killed with a hammer? Do you think she was shot multiple times in the head? idk

Missy Bevers Died From Multiple Puncture Wounds to Head and Chest: Police

"The warrant issued late in the afternoon of April 19 and obtained May 3, states that Bevers "had multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest" that "are consistent with tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building."

Why would guns be related to Missy when she was killed with a hammer? Do you think she was shot multiple times in the head? idk

Missy Bevers Died From Multiple Puncture Wounds to Head and Chest: Police

"The warrant issued late in the afternoon of April 19 and obtained May 3, states that Bevers "had multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest" that "are consistent with tools the suspect was carrying throughout the building."
BBM. Missy’s manner of death was by handgun. This is revealed in data searchable at www.murderdata.org, the website of the Murder Accountability Project. Where does that data come from? The uniform crime reports, also known as UCR reports, which local police departments submit to the government monthly.

Murder Accountability Project: Data & Docs

I’m not sure if I can post a link, but there is a YouTube from several years back in which a lady shows how to drill down in the data to arrive at the record for Missy.

So in other words, the information about Missy’s manner of death being by handgun came from MPD itself through the UCR it submitted at the time to the FBI.

The very earliest search warrant was the one for Missy’s truck, and it said she died “from a head wound.” This was prior to the autopsy. After the autopsy, subsequent warrants used the language “puncture wounds to the head and chest.” I believe that after police confirmed the gunshot, they wanted to keep that info from the public. So they introduced a vagueness into their description of her wounds in order to accomplish that, IMHO.

One last thing regarding tools vs weapons. The B***y H***y warrant from Dec 2016, when describing the types of things police would be looking to seize from his home, mentioned “pry tools such as crowbars and hammers or weapons utilized or possessed by the suspect...”.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's odd that this killer wore shin guards with his or her "costume". Google SWAT images. Most SWAT members don't wear shin guards. Riot police wear them.

Images at this link show some SWAT team members wearing them. I wonder if it's optional.

Texas District Creates School SWAT Team

r-school-swat-team-texas-600x275.jpg

BBM. Missy’s manner of death was by handgun. This is revealed in data searchable at www.murderdata.org, the website of the Murder Accountability Project. Where does that data come from? The uniform crime reports, also known as UCR reports, which local police departments submit to the government monthly.

Murder Accountability Project: Data & Docs

I’m not sure if I can post a link, but there is a YouTube from several years back in which a lady shows how to drill down in the data to arrive at the record for Missy.

So in other words, the information about Missy’s manner of death being by handgun came from MPD itself through the UCR it submitted at the time to the FBI.

The very earliest search warrant was the one for Missy’s truck, and it said she died “from a head wound.” This was prior to the autopsy. After the autopsy, subsequent warrants used the language “puncture wounds to the head and chest.” I believe that after police confirmed the gunshot, they wanted to keep that info from the public. So they introduced a vagueness into their description of her wounds in order to accomplish that, IMHO.

One last thing regarding tools vs weapons. The Bobby Henry warrant from Dec 2016, when describing the types of things police would be looking to seize from his home, mentioned “pry tools such as crowbars and hammers or weapons utilized or possessed by the suspect...”.

This lends a lot more to the notion of intended victim. This was no vandal prank gone bad.

upload_2021-2-22_0-2-12.png

Okay, I got this far in the search and am still trying to figure out how to download the data *(see ETA note below). Under "Weapon", when I selected "Blunt instrument", nothing came up. It was only in selecting "Firearm, type not stated" and "Handgun - pistol, revolver, etc" that this one result came up.

*ETA: When I download, I only get the information shown in the following, so not sure there is anything more to the search. If there is, I can't figure it out beyond this point. It does definitely state it was by handgun.

upload_2021-2-21_23-57-44.png

Last edited:
This lends a lot more to the notion of intended victim. This was no vandal prank gone bad.
But for years, many have made the argument for intended victim based upon the idea - unconfirmed - of this murder being up close, personal, with bludgeoning, overkill, etc.

If none of that happened - if it was a simple shoot and run - Maybe we need to rethink things a bit.

But for years, many have made the argument for intended victim based upon the idea - unconfirmed - of this murder being up close, personal, with bludgeoning, overkill, etc.

If none of that happened - if it was a simple shoot and run - Maybe we need to rethink things a bit.
I think it was both. The actual cause of death was due to a handgun, but she also had several wounds consistent with the hammer and tools the suspect was seen using in the building on camera. My question is if the handgun was used first or after the other tools?

I think it was both. The actual cause of death was due to a handgun, but she also had several wounds consistent with the hammer and tools the suspect was seen using in the building on camera. My question is if the handgun was used first or after the other tools?
Maybe. I stated in an earlier post, it’s possible police overstated her other wounds in an attempt to “muddy the waters” regarding how she died. Without the autopsy report we really can’t know.

To be able to hold onto information that only the killer would know. This helps them prioritize the best leads as they come in. They can use it to test against a tip or a confession. This was worthy of our support early on. 5 years in, maybe not so much.
why not simply withhold any cause of death like they are doing in the delphi murders . wouldn't this mislead tippers ?

why not simply withhold any cause of death like they are doing in the delphi murders . wouldn't this mislead tippers

The search warrant stating she suffered multiple puncture wounds found on her head and chest consistent with tools the suspect was carrying thought the building was issued the day after MB was killed. They didn't know a gun was involved until the autopsy was performed.

why not simply withhold any cause of death like they are doing in the delphi murders . wouldn't this mislead tippers ?
I guess unlike Delphi, that first week of Missy’s case had some info leaking out, so Pandora’s box was already cracked open a bit. In the first warrant the day of the murder - the warrant for Missy’s truck - they had already specified that she died of “a head wound.” Maybe if they could go back and re-do it, they would have been less specific from the beginning. It also didn’t help their cause that CBS News on their website said that Missy was shot (they later retracted it, but I remember seeing it). And a reporter in the first press conference asked Chief Smith if he had said Missy was shot. The chief replied, “I did not say she was shot.” But he also did not say that she was NOT shot, and that would have been a good time to clarify it if she wasn’t.

So, just IMHO, police may have backpedaled in order to do some damage control regarding info that was already out there. EDIT: And as Tippy Lynn posted, they also didn’t have confirmation of a gunshot wound until after the Tuesday morning autopsy. I’m sure they suspected/believed that she was shot already. But in the autopsy they probably did a scan of Missy’s head and saw the telltale “lead cloud” that proves a gunshot wound beyond doubt.

Last edited:
I don't like the fact that LE released details like the wounds matched the tools left behind when in reality she was shot.

Misleading the public and at the same time asking for their help? Not the right way to do it IMO.

This is a very creepy case. I’m glad it’s reopened. I followed it before but not super close and I have a probably stupid question.
Concerning the video of the “vehicle of interest”, why is it of interest? The video is not at the church, right. So what makes this car suspicious?
I’m just trying to get up to speed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels