Found Deceased MD - Tara Payne, 26, Baltimore, 23 March 2021

Anybody think that she somehow got separated from her friends and was being followed/chased? It was her screaming and running and trying to get away and her only escape was to jump into the water?? The water is way too cold at this time of year to survive for very long. Just speculation on my part.

How sad for a night to celebrate your birthday ends up in such a tragedy.

Snapshot of the area where Samantha and her friends were that night.

Attachments

• Fells Point Area.png
    Fells Point Area.png
    687.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The water is way too cold at this time of year to survive for very long. Just speculation on my part.

It is? It's been unseasonably warm here lately (80 tomorrow! :cool:). I don't know about the water, but the air temp during the hours she was missing was 53-54 (humidity may have been on the higher side since we were about to get rain all day).

ETA: I was counting a very narrow window (1-4 am) when I mentioned 'hours she was missing.' Technically she was missing longer than that and temps started rising above 55 around 9 am yesterday, but it's unlikely she was still alive by then :(

It sounds like they have a good idea of what happened. Maybe the businesses/homes here all have security camera footage. I am so sorry for her.

This is a tweet from before she was found. They may have video of her going in the water:

https://twitter.com/RachaelCardin/status/1375125279673290752

"Jimmy Payne, Savannah’s dad tells us he saw surveillance footage in this area but wouldn’t comment what he saw. Says he knows why divers are in the area"

It is? It's been unseasonably warm here lately (80 tomorrow! :cool:). I don't know about the water, but the air temp during the hours she was missing was 53-54 (humidity may have been on the higher side since we were about to get rain all day).

ETA: I was counting a very narrow window (1-4 am) when I mentioned 'hours she was missing.' Technically she was missing longer than that and temps started rising above 55 around 9 am yesterday, but it's unlikely she was still alive by then :(
The temperature usually drops significantly at night even if it happened to be warm during the day. I don't know what the temperature was that particular evening that she went missing.

Even if the water temperatures were in the 40's, she would not have survived for very long, IMO. She was thin and probably had been drinking.

Here's some info from an article that I found: "..Generally, a person can survive in 41-degree F (5-degree C) water for 10, 15 or 20 minutes before the muscles get weak, you lose coordination and strength, which happens because the blood moves away from the extremities and toward the center, or core, of the body.

There are many factors that determine how fast a person submerged in water cools. People who are obese, who have a lot of soft tissue that provides a lot of insulation, are likely to last longer than lanky people, because the body fat provides insulation. Another factor is how much of the body is actually underwater. (Water conducts heat away from the body much faster than air does, even if the water temperature is 20 degrees higher than the air temperature. So, the more the body is submerged, the faster its heat will be drained..."

Hypothermia: How long can someone survive in frigid water?

Last edited:
I do hope there is sufficient surveillance footage to put together what happened. IF there was another person(s) involved, and that Savannah going into the water was a result of foul play, justice needs to be forthcoming.

I read a lot of comments on social media, including on the police page, that who knows if they are rumors and speculation. Many of those comments sound very alarming regarding a possible attack. If true, I hope police have solid leads.

So very heartbreaking. It was Savannah's birthday. :(

So very heartbreaking. It was Savannah's birthday. :(

Oh, I just can't. If I think about it I'll cry. It's just the saddest thing.
I can only hope that the sound and noise of the commotion that was heard by people was the sound of her shouting and shrieking because she'd fallen in the water accidentely, and not anything more nefarious. RIP Tara.

Even if it is warm during the day, the temperature usually drops significantly at night. I don't know what the temperature was that particular evening that she went missing.
Thanks for all the info. The air temps I mentioned were for the hours of 1-4 am. Temps started rising above 55 starting around 9 am.

Walking that marina area in the wee hours and tipsy is no bueno. One could stumble over and then it's pretty difficult to reach back up and grab ahold in most places much less pull yourself up. You could always swim to another structure, but as they say nothing good happens after midnight. There are cameras all over that place and my gut says everything they need is on video & it was an unfortunate accident. IF something nefarious happened I'm sure it was caught on surveillance; they have a witness from apartments that heard something; she was recovered fairly early so COD or any injuries will be somewhat transparent.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back