Found Deceased OH- Alaina Camacho, 18, & Nathan Orona, 20, Cleveland, 1 Feb 2021

i know but one article says one of these ransom people reached out to the last person who saw alaina. how would a random scammer know these things? and reach them via text?
A scammer called my father using the local PD phone number saying that I (using my full name) was in jail and he needed to drain his account and put them on cash cards, if they can do that they can find public records, FB friends lists and the like to find close relatives.

A scammer called my father using the local PD phone number saying that I (using my full name) was in jail and he needed to drain his account and put them on cash cards, if they can do that they can find public records, FB friends lists and the like to find close relatives.

That's so true as well. Pretty bold doing that scrambling thing with a PD number.

It's a sin for these kids and their families.

My friend's brother went missing last year. Before he was found, we helped her set up a Google phone number and email address to use one all the missing person posters and on social media, etc.

Within a few days, we had gross and scary texts coming in claiming to have him, demanding money, that sort of thing. I think it's very common unfortunately.

Family of missing Lorain man found dead to speak about investigation

Orona’s body was recovered from the lake near Hot Waters Marina in Lorain on Sunday. The following day, Camacho’s car was pulled from Lake Erie with her body still inside.

Evelyn Orona, Nathan’s mother, said it started out as a normal hangout between the two friends, but she knew in her heart something was wrong when he didn’t come home.

Investigators said they believe the deaths were accidental, although they are still waiting on event data from a vehicle recorder and results from the autopsies.

It was really bad weather. I saw on the news that they thought the two friends just didn't realize where the pier ended because of the weather. Such a tragic accident.

Yeah, there have been other cases like that over the years.

I can't find the recent case I was looking for, but here are some others. In good weather the people I the car are often able to escape, but cold weather and cold water can quickly overwhelm the victims.

Here's one where the victim was able to escape: Woman's GPS Leads Her Into Lake on Foggy Night | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

This one was in good weather and the driver was rescued. The car went over a concrete barrier: Teen rescued from car in lake, ticketed

This one happened near me only a couple of weeks ago: Man following GPS navigation drives car into Charlton lake - The Boston Globe

This is mostly about weather related multi-car crashes, but it has some interesting statistics about weather-related accidents in Ohio and the other Great Lakes states: Ohio has more deadly winter car crashes than any other state | wkyc.com

I understand it's possible, even likely, that this was an accident. Very strange that it happened right before he was scheduled to appear in court, though. I hope it was an accident.

'A hard pill to swallow:' Family of Nathan Orona speaks publicly about his death

He was a fighter, Soto said, and she suspected he’d tried to get out of the vehicle after it went into the lake, which led to his body being found by a fisherman Sunday. From there, crews used sonar to find Camacho’s car.

Orona last was seen leaving his mother’s Sheffield Estates apartment about 1:40 a.m. Feb. 1. Camacho picked him up in her gold-colored 2004 Honda Accord, and the pair reportedly drove to the Hot Waters fishing pier in Lorain — an “unfortunately” popular hangout spot, Evelyn Orona said.

He’d met Camacho in the neighborhood growing up, but the two were not romantically involved. She’d driven from her apartment in the Kinsman neighborhood of Cleveland to pick him up, according to previous reporting.

Almost eight weeks passed before Orona and Camacho's bodies were found. Rumors circulated, and family members received hoax ransom calls and texts.

Evelyn Orona said she has no lingering questions on what happened that winter night, and she said she knows in her heart it was a tragic accident — low visibility on a snowy night.

Since Orona and Camacho’s deaths, Lorain has pledged to place barriers and signage along the piers at Hot Waters to avoid anyone else driving into the more than 20-feet-deep water.

'A hard pill to swallow:' Family of Nathan Orona speaks publicly about his death

He was a fighter, Soto said, and she suspected he’d tried to get out of the vehicle after it went into the lake, which led to his body being found by a fisherman Sunday. From there, crews used sonar to find Camacho’s car.

Orona last was seen leaving his mother’s Sheffield Estates apartment about 1:40 a.m. Feb. 1. Camacho picked him up in her gold-colored 2004 Honda Accord, and the pair reportedly drove to the Hot Waters fishing pier in Lorain — an “unfortunately” popular hangout spot, Evelyn Orona said.

He’d met Camacho in the neighborhood growing up, but the two were not romantically involved. She’d driven from her apartment in the Kinsman neighborhood of Cleveland to pick him up, according to previous reporting.

Almost eight weeks passed before Orona and Camacho's bodies were found. Rumors circulated, and family members received hoax ransom calls and texts.

Evelyn Orona said she has no lingering questions on what happened that winter night, and she said she knows in her heart it was a tragic accident — low visibility on a snowy night.

Since Orona and Camacho’s deaths, Lorain has pledged to place barriers and signage along the piers at Hot Waters to avoid anyone else driving into the more than 20-feet-deep water.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Coroner: Man, woman who went missing earlier this year in Lorain County drowned, deaths accidental

LORAIN COUNTY, Ohio — The LorainCounty Coroner ruled Thursday that 18-old Alaina Camacho and 20-year-old Nathan Orona, who went missing in February, drowned and that their deaths are accidental, according to the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office and Lorain police determined after inspecting the car’s headlamps that the headlights on the car Camacho was driving were off before they drove off a pier just east of Lorain’s Hot Waters boat launch and crashed in Lake Erie, according to a statement released Friday by the sheriff’s office.

“With the headlights off investigators can only speculate that Camacho was unaware that the pier was ending,” the statement says.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back