GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, though in the military and in the police forces they are taught to defer to their senior officers. This is generally essential in times of crisis, when rapid response is important.
If there are complaints, they happen afterwards.
The senior officer was informed- the fire technician witness phoned dispatch and asked them to contact him- he tipped up eventually and shrugged his shoulders - luckily he can go report for the prosecution and has now retired to Florida!

The senior officer was informed- the fire technician witness phoned dispatch and asked them to contact him- he tipped up eventually and shrugged his shoulders - luckily he can go report for the prosecution and has now retired to Florida!

I don't understand this answer ... but don't worry about it.

I was referring to the senior officer on the scene (Chauvin). That the rookies deferred to him, as they are taught to do. I do know that police policies and training have changed since the murder of Justine Damond in Minneapolis, and again after George's murder. Things are improving. But there is still a long way to go.

Last edited:
I have no idea what that means. Could you please explain?

I agree. When I was younger, it was unheard of for a cop to go searching through your car for a traffic infraction.
Now, it seems like everyone in Los Angeles is handcuffed and made to sit on the curb while police rummage through their vehicle from the videos I've watched.
Cops seem to always ask people for their ID when confronted, and check for warrants like everyone is a criminal.
I was stopped twice and searched. Once in Tx and once in Tenn. both times I never received a citation. They were just on a fishing trip. Both times using the same exact excuse that I went over the center line and they were stopping me to make sure I wasn't falling asleep.

Back in the day, and I can only refer to my Canadian experience, guys chose to get into policing because it was easy. You didn't need any special skills, not even a high school diploma although grade 10 was a must. You had to be at least 5 foot 10 and pass a basic physical exam and have no outstanding issues like drinking underage or dangerous driving, etc. My friends and I identified them as bullies in school and we'd joke that they'd found their true calling: getting to bust heads without any backlash.

Fast forward about 40 years and it's completely different. A high school diploma is a must but most don't get in with that because the competition is fierce. The force I worked for, most of their recruits had university degrees or had, at the very least, taken law and justice at community colleges. Most of the recruits had special qualities like multilingual, pilot's license, SCUBA and psychology and law degrees. The height restrictions disappeared when they started getting women recruits and minorities applying for the job. We'd get ex-military applying but it wasn't a pre-requisite and it wasn't a slam dunk.

The biggest change over the years for me was the psychological testing. It was pretty strenuous and it weeded out a lot of the Lethal Weapon and Dirty Harry types who were itching to wear a gun. We failed a couple of times, but those situations were dealt with pretty quickly.

That being said, I think there are many officers who view the general public with distrust. I don't know whether society in general give them fodder or if an authoritarian mindset develops over time. Those psychological tests should be compulsory ever 5 years or so, IMO.

Y’all think DC will pull a Aaron Hernandez?!

Hernandez was affected by severe DBD which may have made him commit his crimes and take his life. Hernandez's behavior had changed and he was not sure why he went so wrong.

I don't see this killer taking his life. He did not appear to have remorse or care about what has occurred based on his actions. He has other charges for tax evasion---again not seeing himself as having to play by the rules. He voted in FL when he was a MN officer-- against the law and wanted to do what he would. Stories of how he treated people he encountered doing his security work has the same tinge to it---excessive force, no empathy/no emotion. Even at the hospital (seen by video) he doesn't seem jazzed or concerned or caring. I think he thinks everyone else is wrong and his actions are right no matter what the situation is.

I have no idea what that means. Could you please explain?
Which bit the fire EMT who witnessed the incident and was shouting at them to take a pulse phoned dispatch and asked to report it to his superior. He brushed her off in the phone call, turned up later on, found nothing to report as such, reported on the stand for the prosecution and is now running quickly for the hills before he is actually found accountable for not turning up and responding when required ( dispatch also tried to get him to respond, earlier in when they could see it in the control room)

Back in the day, and I can only refer to my Canadian experience, guys chose to get into policing because it was easy. You didn't need any special skills, not even a high school diploma although grade 10 was a must. You had to be at least 5 foot 10 and pass a basic physical exam and have no outstanding issues like drinking underage or dangerous driving, etc. My friends and I identified them as bullies in school and we'd joke that they'd found their true calling: getting to bust heads without any backlash.

Fast forward about 40 years and it's completely different. A high school diploma is a must but most don't get in with that because the competition is fierce. The force I worked for, most of their recruits had university degrees or had, at the very least, taken law and justice at community colleges. Most of the recruits had special qualities like multilingual, pilot's license, SCUBA and psychology and law degrees. The height restrictions disappeared when they started getting women recruits and minorities applying for the job. We'd get ex-military applying but it wasn't a pre-requisite and it wasn't a slam dunk.

The biggest change over the years for me was the psychological testing. It was pretty strenuous and it weeded out a lot of the Lethal Weapon and Dirty Harry types who were itching to wear a gun. We failed a couple of times, but those situations were dealt with pretty quickly.

That being said, I think there are many officers who view the general public with distrust. I don't know whether society in general give them fodder or if an authoritarian mindset develops over time. Those psychological tests should be compulsory ever 5 years or so, IMO.

Great comment. I would only change “view the general public with distrust” to “view the general public with contempt.”

Which bit the fire EMT who witnessed the incident and was shouting at them to take a pulse phoned dispatch and asked to report it to his superior. He brushed her off in the phone call, turned up later on, found nothing to report as such, reported on the stand for the prosecution and is now running quickly for the hills before he is actually found accountable for not turning up and responding when required ( dispatch also tried to get him to respond, earlier in when they could see it in the control room)

There is no doubt that there is a whole lot of rot in many departments. If this is accurate, here is another example.

I have LEO in my family. I support LE. That said, reform is not just needed but we are in dire need because the loss of life and the actions of officers who believe they are untouchable.

Hernandez was affected by severe DBD which may have made him commit his crimes and take his life. Hernandez's behavior had changed and he was not sure why he went so wrong.

I don't see this killer taking his life. He did not appear to have remorse or care about what has occurred based on his actions. He has other charges for tax evasion---again not seeing himself as having to play by the rules. He voted in FL when he was a MN officer-- against the law and wanted to do what he would. Stories of how he treated people he encountered doing his security work has the same tinge to it---excessive force, no empathy/no emotion. Even at the hospital (seen by video) he doesn't seem jazzed or concerned or caring. I think he thinks everyone else is wrong and his actions are right no matter what the situation is.
I think that he has small man syndrome and the bigger the man that he could control with his gun, handcuffs and badge, the better he liked it.

and even with all of that @branmuffin ... Canada still has issues surrounding race and policing. I dont know what the answer is, but I hope this really has started that change.... everywhere JMO

I think that he has small man syndrome and the bigger the man that he could control with his gun, handcuffs and badge, the better he liked it.
How many years was he a policeman again?... in all his annual appraisals by senior officers, looking at his day to day did no one pick up on it?
ETA or did everyone just turn a blind eye and tell him it was ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard