GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is completely horrifying. I can't imagine what her partner felt finding her and her dog murdered in the park. My gosh, I have no words.

The fact that she routinely walked the dog late at night (and it sounds like through this same park) is the one thing making me lean slightly more to targeted attack. Whether it was someone from the neighborhood or someone who was a customer at her work, etc., maybe they knew she often walked this route late at night. Didn't one of the articles upthread mention her partner saying she also listened to podcasts while walking? So I'm thinking that means earbuds and maybe not being able to hear someone behind her or following her until it's too late.

Did she live in an apartment or a house? Since she sets off to walk around the same time every night and this is something a neighbor could easily notice, I wonder if they have had any recent issues with neighbors? The dog being killed too makes me wonder - any complaints about dogs barking or pooping in someone's yard? I only ask because of the vitriol I see on Next Door where I live regarding these issues. Someone threatened to poison a person's dog because it pooped in their yard as an example. People do crazy things sometimes. Wondering if they've had any "discussions" or altercations with neighbors about an issue with the dogs and this person followed her on the walk and killed them. Of course, any camera that picked Katherine up walking should pick this person up as well unless they knew to avoid it MOO.
This is what I was wondering about. Was it her routine to walk the dog at this time? if so, then that would lend me to believe this could have been a targeted attack. If not, probably leaning towards a random, crime of opportunity. The involvement of the FBI leads me to believe that the Atlanta PD has some evidence and some leads. That is encouraging.

Yet no one heard a thing when a dog and a woman were viciously killed. When I say "time" with the victim - I'm not talking hours & hours. The timeline is pretty tight, Katherine leaves home to go for her walk. Her partner worries when she doesn't return and uses the phone app to find her. She left for her walk at approx 1:00 AM, it doesn't say what time she was found, but it sounds like just a few hours later.

Mutilation, IMO would take more time than simply stabbing someone to kill them. There is a gratification element to that type of crime.

When Janness and the couple’s dog, Bowie, didn’t return from a walk in Piedmont Park, Emma Clark used a cellphone app to track her. Clark could see Janness was in the park, but the tracking device wasn’t moving. After a short walk from the couple’s home, Clark found both Bowie and Janness dead, about 100 feet apart.
Woman killed at Piedmont Park remembered as intelligent, gentle, kind

amateur speculation and my opinion only:
Them being that far apart I can’t help but wonder if the dog being killed was the primary location. Person jumps out with knife, dog attacks and is killed. If the nature of the injury is as indicated it would be fast but someone would have to have a bit of skill. Then the perp chases her down 100 feet away. Or she’s so stricken that she’s frozen in place and he drags her 100 feet. Either way you have some one athletic enough to drag or chase down an adult.
I’m relieved to hear they have DNA from the dog. I hope he gave the perp hell.
IMOO

ETA: or it was more than one person who committed the attack.

Last edited:
You would think if there was an argument of any sorts that folks over n the apartments across the road would've heard and done something. Though I've watched too many First 48 Atlanta episodes, so not surprised really.

That park looks terrifying during daylight, nevermind at midnight. Though with it being SO open at that area, I can see why others may deem it safe enough.

I reckon Bowie must have been the first to be attacked, maybe bowie felt like the perpetrator was a threat and gave them a warning, in which they retaliated.

So sad isn't it.

From that video where the reporter is at the entrance to the park, it seems pretty busy during daylight hours, at least there were people coming and going, walking dogs, and I noticed a sign in one shot saying dogs had to be leashed, so must be a popular dog-walking spot. However at 12-1 AM? Probably hardly anybody there, I would imagine.

Ugh this one just guts me. Just out walking your dog, minding your own business.

The only other thing I could think of besides targeted attack or random evil person she came across was if she stumbled upon something in the park someone didn't want her to see. A sexual assault happening? A drug deal? Don't want to leave a witness and kill the dog too because it starts barking loudly and/or attacking?

What was the dogs temperament? Was Bowie reactive to people or dogs? Could Bowie of been aggressive and the other person ' over reacted". This is no judgement of dog breed I would wonder the same with any dog. Just a maybe situation. Moo

This isn't from data or media, but just from true crime stories on the news and WS. There seem to be more crimes happening to women exercising in parks or rural areas. Maybe in reaction to the proliferation of home cameras. I live in small town America & I won't walk in wooded trails any more, even with another mom.

i'm in the uk and my dog walks have become very limited since a lady here was murdered walking her dog a few months ago, really got to me.....then this, another one

when will we be safe to just do normal, mundane things without being in fear!!

This isn't from data or media, but just from true crime stories on the news and WS. There seem to be more crimes happening to women exercising in parks or rural areas. Maybe in reaction to the proliferation of home cameras. I live in small town America & I won't walk in wooded trails any more, even with another mom.

i'm in the uk and my dog walks have become very limited since a lady here was murdered walking her dog a few months ago, really got to me.....then this, another one

It seems everyday in our neighborhood chat someone has been aggressively confronted and/or assaulted. Every day. It's unbelievable how quickly our town has gone from being incredibly safe to now this. Sounds like it is happening in a lot of places.

I know what you mean. I carry a personal alarm when I'm out with the dog and am hyper-vigilant. I dream of not having to be. *sigh*

Wondering if a situation similar to this unrelated case might have occurred in this one? speculation, imo
Vancouver pit bull was 'murdered,' family claims, after stabbed by pug owner who said dog was in 'a vice grip' | National Post
“The owner of the pug ran up, immediately pulled out a knife, and began to stab my dog. As he was doing so, he was yelling ‘you deserve to die’.”

She added: “We were doing everything right. This man should have had his dog on a leash. If he had, my dog would still be alive. I would still have my best friend to go home to.”

In a situation like that I would endorse pepper spray. It would stop the pit bull attack without causing death or permanent injury.

At least, that's been my personal experience of pepper spray vs. attacking dog.

FBI now assisting in investigation into woman’s murder in Piedmont Park
Clark said that detectives have found new evidence they hope will lead them to an arrest. He says detectives told him they found DNA in Bowie’s, indicating Bowie may have tried to protect his owner by attacking her assailant.
I wonder if LE is happy that information was shared with the public? That should have been kept quiet IMO. But wow, what a key piece of evidence. If they end up finding a DNA profile match in CODIS, I wonder if that would be a first? DNA profile of the perp obtained from a dog's mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member