Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, some might recall from the last thread I was very worried about getting the vaccine due to allergies and having had anaphylaxis (twice) Well all went well, booked in for second in three weeks. I don’t think I could have lived with anxiety of catching it and the severe illness that could entail. Thanks for everyone’s stories and updates.

Hi all, some might recall from the last thread I was very worried about getting the vaccine due to allergies and having had anaphylaxis (twice) Well all went well, booked in for second in three weeks. I don’t think I could have lived with anxiety of catching it and the severe illness that could entail. Thanks for everyone’s stories and updates.

Good for you-- it takes courage to overcome our fears!!!!

When will the pandemic finally end?

“Even among the scientific community, you would get really different answers”

“Until this [virus] is controlled or more limited globally, it’s not going away”

At that stage, SARS-CoV-2 will become a circulating virus that’s “less consequential as we build immunity"

Only two diseases in recorded history that affect humans or other animals have ever been eradicated: smallpox, a life-threatening disease for people that covers bodies in painful blisters, and rinderpest, a viral malady that infected and killed cattle. In both instances, intensive global vaccination campaigns brought new infections to a halt.

Most causes of past pandemics are still with us today.

“Developing immunity the hard way is not a solution that we should be aspiring to”

If society attempts to declare an end to the pandemic before science does, we’d be accepting its severe outcomes—including death. That’s often been the case with past pandemics. The flu is no longer considered a pandemic and is now an endemic disease; between 12,000 and 61,000 people in the U.S. still die from the flu each year.

How will the pandemic end? The science of past outbreaks offers clues.

Good News? Although we are and have always been in touch with well over 2 thousand customers here at our restaurant.
No one that we know of has gotten Covid-19.
Thank goodness.

Seriously? Not one person has had Covid, out of 2,000 people in Southern California. Amazing.

I live in Montana, with a much smaller base, out of 50 people I personally know, 10 had Covid, two people died. Two people, who I knew, died from Covid. Just saying that is awful.

Yay! Good for you! I remember how good I felt after getting my first vaccine and the huge relief I felt after getting my second!

Covid-19 Australia: Doctor Sach Kepp issues warning about Delta variant long-term side effects | Daily Mail Online

"He said majority of his patients are in their mid-40s and are struggling to breathe

A doctor working on the frontline against Covid-19 has issued a grim warning about the long-term effects of contracting the virus, as he urges Australians of all ages to 'take any opportunity' to get vaccinated.

He spoke of entire wards being shut to facilitate an influx of Covid-positive patients and hospitals in Sydney buckling under the 'incredible burden' of caring for those too ill to remain at home, while elective surgeries and screenings are cancelled.

Australia currently has stock of AstraZeneca and Pfizer jabs, but the rollout has been plagued from the outset by conflicting advice about the safety of AZ for younger age groups.

Once the envy of the world boasting a country almost coronavirus-free, Australia's bungled vaccination program has left residents frustrated with an incessant cycle of lockdowns and border closures.

Only 20.8 per cent of adults are double vaccinated, one of the lowest jab rates in the OECD group of 38 rich nations."

The stark revelations come as 12 more Sydney suburbs have been put into hard lockdown after NSW recorded 262 Covid cases on Sunday, with 72 infectious while out in the community."

So many countries missed the ball on messaging, and it's creating havoc. Instead of coming from a place of pride of country and patriotism, the messaging in so many places was split, usually on a political basis.

The huge protests happening in France stand to happen elsewhere. I doubt we'll see protests in the US, because Americans will just ignore the recommendations, and our elected officials are not planning on locking anything down again. This could have been handled better. My hope at this point is that we learn from this pandemic and put better procedures in place for the future.

Hundreds of thousands mass in France against Macron's Covid health pass

Seriously? Not one person has had Covid, out of 2,000 people in Southern California. Amazing.

I live in Montana, with a much smaller base, out of 50 people I personally know, 10 had Covid, two people died. Two people, who I knew, died from Covid. Just saying that is awful.

I personally know of seven individuals who died from the first round of covid. None so far from Delta, but the way everyone's running around without masks, it can't be far behind.

I personally know of seven individuals who died from the first round of covid. None so far from Delta, but the way everyone's running around without masks, it can't be far behind.

If I didn't know better I would think the pandemic was behind us. Crowded sporting events, concerts, weddings, all going on like there is no pandemic and then of course we have Sturgis, you know a small little get together of 700,000 people unmasked, probably many unvaccinated----crowding the town restaurants and bars. I guess this pandemic is as good as any event to decrease global population but here in the United States we are doing our part in that regard.

Booster shots for Australia ......

Australia's third COVID-19 vaccine is expected to be approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) within the next fortnight.

In May, Australia reached a deal to buy 25 million doses of the Moderna vaccine, which is another mRNA vaccine.

Moderna's doses contain 100 micrograms of vaccine, while Pfizer's contains 30 micrograms.

The Moderna vaccine is expected to be rolled out nationwide, with the majority of doses to be used as booster shots for people who have received AstraZeneca or Pfizer.

The Moderna vaccine is about to be approved in Australia. Here's what we know

Aug. 7, 2021 - MAJOR spike in Deaths and New Cases / 51% now vaccinated (I can’t even imagine without the vaccines)

Aug. 8, 2021

Eta: 255K on Aug. 7? And our all time high was...(insert figure, iirc...)
Also, test numbers potentially indicate we are missing a lot of cases, per Doc chatter, jmo.

Also, have you guys been noticing a discrepancy between JH numbers and numbers on the news? JH has been higher.

Note to check JH against other dashboards.

Last edited:
A Florida Hospital Is Seeing A Rise In COVID-19 Cases In Children

This is such an informative interview on NPR this morning... ...
135 children under 12 are hospitalized in Florida right now..

NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro speaks with Dr. Marcos Mestre at Niklaus Children's Foundation Hospital in Miami, Florida about the uptick in cases of COVID-19 in children under the age of 12.

I see how others do feel they just have to step away...

But it is SO in everything we do here in NOrth Florida..., there is no way to avoid.

It is the constant discussion at the Dog Park.... and you just know people who back out of any discussion about it, are most likely unvaccinated.

Like the smoke in Denver, Covid is just in the air everywhere--literally. Everybody knows people who have died or are suffering now.
And we are all most worried about all the kids going back to school.

I am thinking that the warning to other areas is encouraging more and more to get the vaccines...maybe enough before it hits...

ok... done for now......Church is closed again, so back to zoom. And then I am going to take out all my frustrations on my weeds, and crops. Still have some great figs, huge pears, and the avocados are voluminous!!

Last edited:
A Florida Hospital Is Seeing A Rise In COVID-19 Cases In Children

This is such an informative interview on NPR this morning... ...
135 children under 12 are hospitalized in Florida right now..

NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro speaks with Dr. Marcos Mestre at Niklaus Children's Foundation Hospital in Miami, Florida about the uptick in cases of COVID-19 in children under the age of 12.
Thank you so much for posting, nhm. Notably, “...requiring more oxygen support...”, will have to rewind for exact quote.

The children have always been my greatest concern, and continue to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member