Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Longreach reaches 70 per cent COVID-19 vaccination milestone

Central West Queensland is leading the state in COVID-19 vaccination, with 'gateway to the outback' Longreach crossing the 70 per cent threshold this week.

While some tiny towns in the region have already recorded double doses over 90 per cent, Longreach is among the first major regional hubs in Queensland with 70 per cent of the population fully vaccinated.

California couple stuck in Italy: How husband's breakthrough COVID case could cost them $10,000

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- It's a trip many people dream of -- an anniversary trip to Italy.
"The night that we arrived here in Italy, I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever," Matthew said.

The next morning, Matthew tested positive for COVID-19, despite both he and his wife taking two tests 24 hours before they left and both being fully vaccinated.

Now, they're stuck in quarantine in their hotel for anywhere between 10 and 21 days, depending on how things unfold.

"I tested negative this whole time. So if I still continue to test negative, I can leave on day 10 because I've been in contact with a positive case. But if I test positive on day 10 then that restarts my clock," Katherine said.

The trip could end up costing the Walden's close to $10,000, a fee that won't be covered by the travel insurance they purchased.

Australians Will Be the First to Trial Icosavax’s ‘Next-Generation’ COVID-19 Vaccine

Australia's COVID-19 vaccine rollout has advanced significantly in the past few months, but that hasn't stopped research on potential new vaccine candidates. Participants in Queensland will be the first to try out a new "next-generation" coronavirus vaccine as it enters its clinical trial phase.

The University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) is facilitating the first global trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine produced by the American company Icosavax.

California couple stuck in Italy: How husband's breakthrough COVID case could cost them $10,000

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- It's a trip many people dream of -- an anniversary trip to Italy.
"The night that we arrived here in Italy, I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever," Matthew said.

The next morning, Matthew tested positive for COVID-19, despite both he and his wife taking two tests 24 hours before they left and both being fully vaccinated.

Now, they're stuck in quarantine in their hotel for anywhere between 10 and 21 days, depending on how things unfold.

"I tested negative this whole time. So if I still continue to test negative, I can leave on day 10 because I've been in contact with a positive case. But if I test positive on day 10 then that restarts my clock," Katherine said.

The trip could end up costing the Walden's close to $10,000, a fee that won't be covered by the travel insurance they purchased.

“It's a trip many people dream of -- an anniversary trip to Italy.”

Not during a worldwide pandemic.....nope.
JMO

In the UK, there was v little resistance to wearing masks. I cant open that Reuters article, but I live less than an hour from London and was (blissfully?!) unaware of any protests.

Not everyone complies on transport though which is very frustrating, not least for us as Mr HKP commutes to London by train. But generally, in shops (even now that its not a legal requirement any longer) people wear them and as Cags said, we didnt have issues in schools.
Honestly it's the same where I live. I'm in Los Angeles County in California but I'm far away from the city. People all wear masks where I live and we haven't had any protests here.
I just wanted to share this so those of you not from the U.S. realize that there are areas that aren't making a fuss and are masking as directed. That's not to say there aren't antivaxxers in the area, because there are. They just haven't taken to the streets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgh!!:mad:

Some LA Restaurants Defy ‘Life-Saving' Indoor Mask Order and Health Department Lets Them Get Away With It

You'd never know LA County has a strict indoor mask order when you sit down at the Novo Café, an upscale Italian restaurant in Westlake Village. Most of the workers and customers, even the owner, are not wearing masks as required by a Public Health Order.

"I believe in freedom of choice. So the mask is just, in my opinion, a sign of submission," Novo owner Massimo Forti told the NBC4 I-Team.
"There is no proven data that it protects anybody," Novo Cafe owner Massimo Forti told NBC4.
The LA County Public Health Department does issue citations and fines for "lack of compliance" with health orders, including the masking rule. But the I-Team found that enforcement of the order appears spotty.

For example, the Novo Cafe in Westlake Village has been issued citations 60 times so far in 2021 for defying health orders, according to records examined by the I-Team.

But the the owner tells NBC4 he doesn't pay the fines, which he estimates now total between $85,000 to $90,000.
"Principle and the fact that everything they’re doing [DPH] is unconstitutional," Massimo Forti said.

I have long believed that sustaining the tourism industry is the folly that spread the virus around the world. If tourism is thriving 18 months into the global spread of ever more robust covid variants, it will take decades to emerge from covid.

Foreign journey is the dream during pandemic - seriously? Who are these people listening to in order to believe that it's a good risk? What do they hope to experience with their covid travels - new culture? A day at the beach? What is so important that they risk health and livelihood?

Australians Will Be the First to Trial Icosavax’s ‘Next-Generation’ COVID-19 Vaccine

Australia's COVID-19 vaccine rollout has advanced significantly in the past few months, but that hasn't stopped research on potential new vaccine candidates. Participants in Queensland will be the first to try out a new "next-generation" coronavirus vaccine as it enters its clinical trial phase.

The University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) is facilitating the first global trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine produced by the American company Icosavax.

I find it interesting that so many drugs are trialed in Australia that it's a thing to pay the rent. I hope the Australian version of the vaccine is more robust that earlier experiments.

I hope the Australian version of the vaccine is more robust that earlier experiments.

It is actually a US-produced vaccine that they are going to trial on a global scale, and the university in Qld is facilitating the study.

I am not sure that Aussie volunteers are the best volunteers to have, so that is a bit perplexing. Especially in Qld. There is just not enough covid in most states here, at the moment, for an Aussie study to be very conclusive. imo

My town has hit the halfway mark for first jabs. Still less than 30% for both jabs.

More than half of Bathurst residents have now had first COVID jab

MORE than half the eligible residents of Bathurst have received at least their first shot of COVID-19 vaccination, new figures show.

It doesn't seem to be behind a paywall. Oh and it has info on other central west NSW towns too.

Just got my vaccination record on my phone for if we "ever" come out of lockdown again.
Yes I'm getting a bit down over it, especially since I had a flu that kept me home for 5 weeks, then a week or so before the lockdown I thought wouldn't it be nice to go out and have lunch with a friend. Too late. :)

My town has hit the halfway mark for first jabs. Still less than 30% for both jabs.

MORE than half the eligible residents of Bathurst have received at least their first shot of COVID-19 vaccination, new figures show.

It doesn't seem to be behind a paywall. Oh and it has info on other central west NSW towns too.

Just got my vaccination record on my phone for if we "ever" come out of lockdown again.
Yes I'm getting a bit down over it, especially since I had a flu that kept me home for 5 weeks, then a week or so before the lockdown I thought wouldn't it be nice to go out and have lunch with a friend. Too late. :)

The nicer weather is coming, Tootsie. That will help everyone cope with the lockdown. And it sounds as if Gladys is going to let vaccinated people do some things ... though she hasn't stated what those things are yet. She said she would make an announcement tomorrow or Friday.

Good that you got your record on your phone. You may need to show that, to be allowed to do things that the vaccinated are allowed to do. :)

Protection against infection after two Covid vaccines falls within SIX months | Daily Mail Online

Two Covid vaccine doses become less effective at stopping infections within six months, a major study has found.

Researchers warned Britons given the jabs first — including the elderly — could see protection plummet to just 50 per cent by winter without boosters.

The real-world study, led by King's College London, looked at more than a million people who had been fully vaccinated.

Protection against infection after two shots of Pfizer decreased from 88 per cent at one month to 74 per cent at five to six months.

For AstraZeneca, effectiveness dropped from 77 per cent to 67 per cent at four to five months.

It's unclear whether the waning immunity against infection also means people are less protected against hospitalisation and death.

But Professor Tim Spector, the lead scientist behind the study, said high levels of infection would ultimately lead to more deaths. He warned effectiveness could drop below 50 per cent by winter, and urged Britain to 'urgently' get its act together on booster vaccines.

It comes on the back of a separate study last night which found four in 10 people who have weakened immune systems show 'low or undetectable' levels of Covid immunity after being double vaccinated.

Both studies will pile pressure on the Government's scientific advisers to green light a booster jab programme for the elderly and vulnerable this autumn.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) is expected to approve booster doses for the immunocompromised in the coming weeks.

But Professor Adam Finn, who sits on the JCVI, suggested this morning the group will stop short of recommending them for healthy elderly adults until more evidence of the benefit surfaces.

Several of our friends are planning on going on an Alaska cruise in a few weeks, and invited us. The prices are rock bottom. The ships don't port in British Columbia, just Seattle to Alaska.

I have zero desire to be locked on a ship. Needless to say, we declined.

Even in non-pandemic times, I've never wanted to be on a ship, but those low prices probably made some feel as though this was their one chance to afford a cruise.

That flu bug sounds awful! Glad you are doing better. I miss seeing my friends, having a drink and laughing, just being together. It’s been 18 months, seems so long ago. A nice glass of wine and something tasty to eat (that I didn’t have to cook lol). Hang in there!

Thanks! Yes it was pretty awful. I think I got it because I swapped my flu shot appointment to have the Covid shot, then I had to wait another month for the flu shot, due to all booked out.

Plus I attended a function where there were people coughing. I tried to distance myself but the seats were too close together.
On thinking about it, I should have just left.

Yes we will get through this :)

That flu bug sounds awful! Glad you are doing better. I miss seeing my friends, having a drink and laughing, just being together. It’s been 18 months, seems so long ago. A nice glass of wine and something tasty to eat (that I didn’t have to cook lol). Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael C Vang