Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I baked a savory tomato pie tonight with fresh tomatoes, basil, white cheddar, minced garlic, mayonnaise, and some seasonings.

I love tomato season, I bring out all my favorites recipes that call for fresh tomatoes.

I’ve made roasted cherry tomatoes and goat cheese twice already, as it is one of my favorites. We drizzle balsamic glaze over it and serve with crusty baguettes.
That sounds delicious.

Our strawberry crab apple tree is so loaded this year that four big brancches have broken off from the weight. I went out and picked everything that fell this time before the deer and moose got them and now I'm making fruit leather. I'm having fun making peach-apple, plum-apple, cherry-apple, strawberry-apple, and blueberry-apple fruit leather in my dehydrator. It's pretty tasty!:p

Our strawberry crab apple tree is so loaded this year that four big brancches have broken off from the weight. I went out and picked everything that fell this time before the deer and moose got them and now I'm making fruit leather. I'm having fun making peach-apple, plum-apple, cherry-apple, strawberry-apple, and blueberry-apple fruit leather in my dehydrator. It's pretty tasty!:p
Sounds amazing.

I've been looking at dehydrators because I've grown chamomile this year and its taking ages to dry naturally for tea. Cant justify the cost for that tho!

What else do you use it for?

After sunset when the house was a bit cooler, I put plump Roma tomatoes in a pot with boiling water and let them sit for 10 minutes until they could be peeled easily. It's going to be another scorcher today, but the tomato basil sauce comes together easily and can just simmer on low heat so the kitchen doesn't get too warm. We have a small eggplant, and DH will stop at Nino's for polenta and fresh mozzarella after his Sunday swim. He will grill the eggplant and polenta that will be topped with tomato basil sauce and fresh mozzarella.

Question about grits: I have a partial cannister of Quaker Yellow Corn Meal. Can I use this to make grits or would I need to buy "grits" specifically? I've only had grits once that I recall (for breakfast in Raleigh, NC), but I would like to try and make them. I had scrapple, too - never saw it on a menu in these parts.

I will be glad when this heat wave is over. It has been in the 90s during the day, only dropping into the 70s at night. Very humid, too, and if I step outdoors for even a few minutes, I feel like I'm suffocating. We almost bought tickets for the Tiger ballgame today, but is definitely too hot to be at the ballpark.

Last edited:
I am still getting used to my new stove and oven...I cooked a roast the other day, and literally charred the poor thing. This oven is brand new, so...it is quite efficient. So much for that roast. Of course, the fact that I am really not that good about cooking meat could be part of the problem too.

Eggs for dinner. Or Ebelskivers..

Ebelskivers (Danish pancakes) with powdered sugar and strawberries.

You do need an "Ebelskivers" pan.
-----

INGREDIENTS (makes 14-16 ebelskivers)

1 egg, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted, plus extra for the pan
1 cups buttermilk or regular milk
Strawberries, powdered sugar

PREPARATION

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form.

In another medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar and mix together.

Add the egg yolk, melted butter and buttermilk and mix just until combined.

Fold the beaten egg white into the batter to make it fluffy.

Heat your ebelskiver pan over medium heat until hot. Brush each cup with a little melted butter using a pastry brush, then fill each cup with about 2 tablespoons of batter until almost full.

As soon as the ebelskivers begin to bubble around the edges, flip them over half way with a thin spatula or chopsticks, letting the batter slide around to fill in the bottom of the cup.

Cook a little longer, then turn the ebelskiver again to let the batter fill in the remainder of the sphere and continuing to turn until golden brown all the way around and cooked through.

Serve with fruit and top with powdered sugar and syrup as desired. Can also add fruit or filling to inside of ebelskiver as you cook it!

Last edited:
^ I had never heard of those lovely little gems. They look yummy.

It's finally cooled off considerably here in southeastern Michigan. We've been able to open windows in the evening and leave our bedroom window open over night, and the A/C isn't running constantly like it had for a couple of weeks. It was very nice for cooking yesterday, so I made Turkey Bolognese. We had some with penne pasta last night, divided the rest in three Ziploc bags, and put them in the freezer.

We're going to Picano's tonight following our his/her manis and pedis. I have a hair appointment tomorrow, and I'm actually considering having our stylist take off more than the "ends".

What are your plans for the holiday weekend? We plan to stay home, watch some movies, and do flower cleanup. We plant annuals over Memorial Day weekend and almost always toss everything for Labor Day. Dragon Wing begonias in front went out with compost yesterday, and back yard geraniums will go out with next week's compost. I will bake an apple and honey bundt cake on Sunday, and we'll have roast chicken on Monday for Rosh Hoshanah. Hard to believe that it's already September. We'll be seeing Christmas commercials in a few weeks :D Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

It's finally cooled off considerably here in southeastern Michigan. We've been able to open windows in the evening and leave our bedroom window open over night, and the A/C isn't running constantly like it had for a couple of weeks. It was very nice for cooking yesterday, so I made Turkey Bolognese. We had some with penne pasta last night, divided the rest in three Ziploc bags, and put them in the freezer.

We're going to Picano's tonight following our his/her manis and pedis. I have a hair appointment tomorrow, and I'm actually considering having our stylist take off more than the "ends".

What are your plans for the holiday weekend? We plan to stay home, watch some movies, and do flower cleanup. We plant annuals over Memorial Day weekend and almost always toss everything for Labor Day. Dragon Wing begonias in front went out with compost yesterday, and back yard geraniums will go out with next week's compost. I will bake an apple and honey bundt cake on Sunday, and we'll have roast chicken on Monday for Rosh Hoshanah. Hard to believe that it's already September. We'll be seeing Christmas commercials in a few weeks :D Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.
It’s been a while since I have chimed in here. My dad passed this summer and I just have not had it in me.
That said, I am ready to say hello.
BDE, we keep talking about trying Picano’s! Maybe we will give it a go soon. It sounds wonderful.
Plans this weekend for Labor Day….well I work both days of the weekend. I am off Monday and Mr Pirate and I are going to check out Arts, Beats and Eats in Royal Oak. I am in the mood finally for some live music!

Sounds amazing.

I've been looking at dehydrators because I've grown chamomile this year and its taking ages to dry naturally for tea. Cant justify the cost for that tho!

What else do you use it for?
Hello, so I grew chamomile this year in my Aerogarden. I hung it to dry by tying a string around the stems. It took about 2 weeks. Now maybe you have more humidity in the house? Mine dried and crumbled right into a jar. I am sorry, I don’t know any other uses besides tea.

I didn’t like grits as a teen because they were so bland. Once I was an adult I experimented with them, first with margarine. Not flavorful enough. Real butter was much better. I find adding Colby Jack cheese makes them very filling. Sometimes if I’m really hungry, I’ll scramble an egg to eat with them.

1 cup water
1/4 cup white grits
Dash of salt
1/4 cup grated Colby Jack cheese

Put grits, water and salt in a tall bowl. Microwave 2 minutes and stir. If it’s too thick, add a teaspoon or two of hot water. Once they’re smooth, add cheese and mix well.
My favorite prep for grits. I do use vegan cheese however.

It’s been a while since I have chimed in here. My dad passed this summer and I just have not had it in me.
BDE, we keep talking about trying Picano’s! Maybe we will give it a go soon. It sounds wonderful.
Plans this weekend for Labor Day….well I work both days of the weekend. I am off Monday and Mr Pirate and I are going to check out Arts, Beats and Eats in Royal Oak. I am in the mood finally for some live music!

Sorry to hear about your dad. You definitely need to go to Picano's :) We went to AB&E a couple of times when it was in Pontiac but haven't been for years. Have fun!

My condolences on your dad's passing. ((Hugs))

It's cooled off here in NC too and humidity is way down. Love it! Wish it would last.

This Sunday we are hosting a barbecue dinner for a small group of vaccinated friends. It's been ages since we did anything like this and I hope we are up to it! We are the only ones in the group who still have an outdoor grill. Our guests are contributing to the dinner, so we will have plenty to eat. Weather should be pretty good but warm, upper 80s.

Holiday plans? We are going hiking and picnic plans. Daddy will stay with the car, lay out the picnic while we go hiking. We are going to Buffalo Jump State park.

Madison Buffalo Jump State Park | Montana FWP

Interesting place! I hope you have a lovely hike and picnic.

When I was a kid we lived in Lincoln, NE, for less than a year. I remember we drove to see a cliff not far away (at least in my memory) used by Native Americans for buffalo kills. I just Googled and I can't find anything about it now, though. Perhaps my memory has failed me. Or my Googling skills.

It is perfect weather, not too hot. Planning picnic food today.

What is everyone's favorite picnic food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2