Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is perfect weather, not too hot. Planning picnic food today.

What is everyone's favorite picnic food?
Wrap sandwiches! Use a nice big wrap, put a layer of hummus, veggies ( I love them grilled) meat and cheese or tofu. Wrap them up. You can look on line for ideas and tips on rolling them up. They travel really well.

For starters, nothing messy :D Assorted deli meat and cheeses for sandwiches. Assorted breads - lavash, pita, etc. Lettuce and tomato for the sandwiches. Condiments. Crudites. Deviled eggs. Cookies, finger desserts. Chips, pretzels. Bottled waters and sodas.

Thank you everyone for picnic suggestions. I will take deviled eggs, watermelon with mint, a pasta salad with veggies from the garden, and tomatoes with basil, mozzarella. Lots of water. We have a table, canopy shelter, chairs...an entire day of fresh air and sunshine planned.

Have a good weekend peeps.

Thank you everyone for picnic suggestions. I will take deviled eggs, watermelon with mint, a pasta salad with veggies from the garden, and tomatoes with basil, mozzarella. Lots of water. We have a table, canopy shelter, chairs...an entire day of fresh air and sunshine planned.

Have a good weekend peeps.

Sounds heavenly! Have a wonderful day and be safe.

Reading and catching up on the thread. My vision is improving in my right eye so very thrilled about that. Left eye is next Wed.

My daughter and I were so busy getting me to all my appts we didn't have time to cook much. We did make fried corn and she really liked it. Before my cataract surgery, I grilled the pork ribeyes. I liked them but she didn't. I grilled her a sweet potato and she gobbled that up.

I'm still rather tired but not as dehydrated and weak. (Another horrible drug reaction, lost 11 lbs in 5-6 days) My friend came over and cleaned my house yesterday.

@Yesiamapirate I am so sorry to hear about your father passing away. Healing blessings to you and your family.

If we're doing a picnic near a grill, I do grilled corn. I boil it first, wrap it in foil, add a pat of real butter, wrap it up. It goes in the coals or on the grate depending on how much room there is. That high heat caramelizes it and it is sooooo good. I also do a foil pan of baked beans to sit on the grill. Plus hotdogs, buns, etc.

If no grill, we do sandwiches, usually lunch meat but we don't assemble them first. That way the bread isn't soggy. I take cut up apples, pretzels, cheese sticks and those little nubs of meat from Wisconsin Farms, I think? If I don't have those, maybe salami or pepperoni slices. A container of black olives too. I aim for more protein than carbs, since usually everyone is more active. When my kids were little those gogurt things were great.

Our strawberry crab apple tree is so loaded this year that four big brancches have broken off from the weight. I went out and picked everything that fell this time before the deer and moose got them and now I'm making fruit leather. I'm having fun making peach-apple, plum-apple, cherry-apple, strawberry-apple, and blueberry-apple fruit leather in my dehydrator. It's pretty tasty!:p
Oh wow! Sounds wonderful!

I made the easiest dinner tonight! Gnocchi ( from refrigerator section), fully cooked Turkey Kielbasa and asparagus and mushrooms. Preheat oven to 450, a little olive oil, salt and pepper for 25 minutes stirring/ rotating half way. A few tablespoons of pesto on gnocchi and veggies. ( cut the kielbasa into chunks) yummy and easy with little cleanup

Reading and catching up on the thread. My vision is improving in my right eye so very thrilled about that. Left eye is next Wed.

My daughter and I were so busy getting me to all my appts we didn't have time to cook much. We did make fried corn and she really liked it. Before my cataract surgery, I grilled the pork ribeyes. I liked them but she didn't. I grilled her a sweet potato and she gobbled that up.

I'm still rather tired but not as dehydrated and weak. (Another horrible drug reaction, lost 11 lbs in 5-6 days) My friend came over and cleaned my house yesterday.

@Yesiamapirate I am so sorry to hear about your father passing away. Healing blessings to you and your family.

Thank you! And I am sorry you are going through a rough patch. Hope things turn around for you soon. How do you make your fried corn? I cut mine off the cob and fry it in butter but I am sure you have some yummy tricks!

I made the easiest dinner tonight! Gnocchi ( from refrigerator section), fully cooked Turkey Kielbasa and asparagus and mushrooms. Preheat oven to 450, a little olive oil, salt and pepper for 25 minutes stirring/ rotating half way. A few tablespoons of pesto on gnocchi and veggies. ( cut the kielbasa into chunks) yummy and easy with little cleanup
Funny, I discovered the refrigerated gnocchi during my on line pandemic grocery buying. It seemed like an easy meal idea that would keep in the fridge til I was ready. And it was! I also put mine with pesto. And some roasted veggies. Your recipe sounds delicious.

Funny, I discovered the refrigerated gnocchi during my on line pandemic grocery buying. It seemed like an easy meal idea that would keep in the fridge til I was ready. And it was! I also put mine with pesto. And some roasted veggies. Your recipe sounds delicious.
I have also pan sautéed the gnocchi, which is very good. Trader Joe’s sometimes has sweet potato gnocchi.

Thank you! And I am sorry you are going through a rough patch. Hope things turn around for you soon. How do you make your fried corn? I cut mine off the cob and fry it in butter but I am sure you have some yummy tricks!
I cut it off the cob too. I sauté diced onion and diced garlic first in real butter. Add the corn, salt and pepper, to balance out the sweetness.

This is the gnocchi that we get at Nino's. It doesn't require refrigeration and is found in the Italian foods aisle with other pasta. We like it with a little marinara or herb butter. I always have a box or two in the pantry.

delallo_gnocchi_1000x1000__13579.1614109970.1280.1280.jpg

I peeled and shredded five Granny Smith apples yesterday, tossed them in lemon juice so they wouldn't brown, and put them in the fridge overnight. That's the most time-consuming prep for the apple-honey cake that I'll bake this evening when it cools off. We are having grilled shrimp tacos for dinner. Flower cleanup is done and goes out for compost collection this week. We will get a large mum for the urn on the front porch later in the month. Beautiful holiday weekend so far with rain on tap for tomorrow. I hope everyone is enjoying Labor Day festivities. Be safe.

@PayrollNerd glad your vision is improving.

We had a great day. Being outside all day, in fresh air, sunshine, nature bath. We went hiking, looking for berries, lots of fun.

On our way home we were trying to remember last time we really went anywhere...we stayed home this entire summer! That is so unusual for us, normally we travel in the summer. We used to love going on Amtrak vacations.

Off to can salsa today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member