Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
yg59Ofr.jpg

Column: A letter from a horse: Please stop taking ivermectin to treat COVID-19. That’s our medicine, you ninnies.
upload_2021-8-31_0-34-1.png

We use ivermectin because we tend to get internal and external parasites, and that stuff knocks them out pretty well.

I recently needed some to treat my sarcoptic mange, but guess what? THE FARM SUPPLY STORE WAS OUT OF IVERMECTIN CAUSE A BUNCH OF YOU READ SOME HOO-HAH ON THE INTERNET AND DECIDED THE SMART MOVE WAS TO IGNORE YOUR DOCTORS AND TAKE SOME HORSE MEDICINE!!!

Unless you were suffering from sarcoptic mange, and are a horse, I’m going to have to ask you to return the ivermectin and stop believing everything you read.

The continuous evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in South Africa: a new lineage with rapid accumulation of mutations of concern and global detection
8/26/21

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2 variants of interest have been associated with increased transmissibility, neutralization resistance and disease severity. Ongoing SARS-CoV-2 genomic surveillance world-wide has improved our ability to rapidly identify such variants. Here we report the identification of a potential variant of interest assigned to the PANGO lineage C.1.2. This lineage was first identified in May 2021 and evolved from C.1, one of the lineages that dominated the first wave of SARS-CoV-2 infections in South Africa and was last detected in January 2021. C.1.2 has since been detected across the majority of the provinces in South Africa and in seven other countries spanning Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania. The emergence of C.1.2 was associated with an increased substitution rate, as was previously observed with the emergence of the Alpha, Beta and Gamma variants of concern (VOCs). C.1.2 contains multiple substitutions (R190S, D215G, E484K, N501Y, H655Y and T859N) and deletions (Y144del, L242-A243del) within the spike protein, which have been observed in other VOCs and are associated with increased transmissibility and reduced neutralization sensitivity. Of greater concern is the accumulation of additional mutations (C136F, Y449H and N679K) which are also likely to impact neutralization sensitivity or furin cleavage and therefore replicative fitness. While the phenotypic characteristics and epidemiology of C.1.2 are being defined, it is important to highlight this lineage given its concerning constellations of mutations.

*more at link

Right. But at the bitter end, as always, imo, they state the real reason. The funeral homes are going slower than usual. Weird how the morgue is overrun, but no mention of a lack of hospital beds for any patients -- much less covid patients. jmo

eta: not to mention that I think the portable morgues will ultimately prove to be unnecessary, as have the various locations opened up to treat "overflow" patients that costs millions of dollars but were never used. I can post the links again, if necessary, but the NY floating hospital and the tent hospital in the pacific NW come to mind easily and the links have been posted MANY times.

Eta a link--$660 million wasted. Disgusting, imo

U.S. Field Hospitals Stand Down, Most Without Treating Any COVID-19 Patients
Nah. Disgusting would have been to not prepare for the worst case scenario and to not have had beds for the very ill. Plenty of places DID actually use the overflow spaces they set up.

Incidentally, my local hospital is out of ICU beds this morning.

I was vaccinated at a mega site. No one asked me on either visit who my general practitioner is. And they specifically told me not to lose my card and to keep it with other important papers.

I was vaccinated at a clinic, and they also told me to keep my card in a safe place and carry a photocopy, or a photo on my cellphone. I was not asked who my doctor was, either, which wouldn't have mattered, since I don't really have one.

They did scan my insurance card, however, so I guess that creates a paper trail of sorts.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Idk if delta it's more transmissible in kids, but according to the AAP, it's not more dangerous.

Note that in usual media fashion, this says there are "mixed reports," while simultaneously citing ONE doctor who disagrees with the AAP based on suspicion and absent "hard numbers to prove it."

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=262363

From the link:

But there are mixed reports regarding the severity of illness linked to the Delta variant in kids.

The tracking numbers show that the rate of pediatric COVID-19 hospitalizations is about the same as it has been for earlier variants, varying between 0.1% and 1.9% depending on the state.

"While we are seeing an increase in overall cases, our hospitalization rate for COVID has remained the same," Green said.

The AAP agrees, saying that "at this time, it appears that severe illness due to COVID-19 is uncommon among children."

Some doctors seeing more severe COVID in children as cases rise

But one front-line doctor disagrees, suspecting that Delta is indeed harder on kids although there's currently no hard numbers to prove it.
But there are mixed reports regarding the severity of illness linked to the Delta variant in kids.

The tracking numbers show that the rate of pediatric COVID-19 hospitalizations is about the same as it has been for earlier variants, varying between 0.1% and 1.9% depending on the state.

"While we are seeing an increase in overall cases, our hospitalization rate for COVID has remained the same," Green said.

The AAP agrees, saying that "at this time, it appears that severe illness due to COVID-19 is uncommon among children."

Some doctors seeing more severe COVID in children as cases rise

But one front-line doctor disagrees, suspecting that Delta is indeed harder on kids although there's currently no hard numbers to prove it.

eta: another msm link that says the same thing

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-08-06/is-the-delta-variant-hitting-kids-harder

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sad.

Matthew LeHew
@matthewlehew

I start every class with an ultrasound picture of my son due in October, pleading with my students to wear masks as a personal favor to my family. In small, at-capacity classrooms, only 5 of 45 of my students wore a mask. I’ll never be able to look at this job the same way.
10:20 AM · Aug 30, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

I looked at his thread. Here are his most recent posts:

My students don't deserve the hate I see in the responses. None have indicated they're being spiteful or defiant. Many of them are vaccinated. They want this to be over, they're tired, and maybe they're just forgetting. I'm going to start bringing my own masks to pass out.

I emailed them last night because I was worried some of the hateful replies about them would be read as MY feelings, which would undermine what I'm trying to accomplish in the classroom. Several have apologized and committed to wearing masks and keeping one on their person.

I don't blame my students for bad policy, and I don't blame my institution for being hampered by our politicized state system. For my students, I apply a modified form of Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by burnout or distraction.

Teaching is an audacious and radical belief that we can change lives for the better. I value the hearts and minds in my classroom and I don't believe in writing them off or responding with hate. It's wrong, it simply spawns more hate, and it's antithetical to the calling.

l4qp695A_normal.png

What a great guy!

Thanks for bringing these over @anneg - I did skim his Twitter thread quickly last night - I needed to see something good/positive right now. :) And this was just enough to get me through the rest of an awful day at work. What a great guy for sure !

I looked at his thread. Here are his most recent posts:

My students don't deserve the hate I see in the responses. None have indicated they're being spiteful or defiant. Many of them are vaccinated. They want this to be over, they're tired, and maybe they're just forgetting. I'm going to start bringing my own masks to pass out.

I emailed them last night because I was worried some of the hateful replies about them would be read as MY feelings, which would undermine what I'm trying to accomplish in the classroom. Several have apologized and committed to wearing masks and keeping one on their person.

I don't blame my students for bad policy, and I don't blame my institution for being hampered by our politicized state system. For my students, I apply a modified form of Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by burnout or distraction.

Teaching is an audacious and radical belief that we can change lives for the better. I value the hearts and minds in my classroom and I don't believe in writing them off or responding with hate. It's wrong, it simply spawns more hate, and it's antithetical to the calling.

l4qp695A_normal.png

What a great guy!

For remote learners returning to classrooms, back-to-school brings a host of challenges (nbcnews.com)

From small support groups to a red carpet rollout, schools are taking extra care to reduce anxiety in those coming back to in-person learning for the first time since the pandemic began.

The eighth grader came to school counselor Lydia McNeiley on the second day of school with a request: Was there any way he could be excused from gym class?

For nearly a year and a half, the student, along with about 80 percent of his peers at Charles N. Scott Middle School in Hammond, Indiana, had been learning remotely.

Now back inside the building for the first time since March 2020, he felt overwhelmed. Gym, once a class this young soccer player had enjoyed, seemed noisy — a stark change from the quiet of his home where he had logged onto online classes while grieving the loss of a grandmother and uncle to the coronavirus.

McNeiley, the school’s lead counselor and the eighth grade counselor, had spent her summer thinking about how to ease students back onto school grounds when they returned on Aug. 18. She suggested a different elective for the semester instead of gym: engineering and technology, or perhaps an art class...

Whoa (pun intended).

Obviously, vast implications to the system of medical care if this kind of ruling became widespread.

But aside from that, are the horse medicine people the same ones who refuse to get a vaccine because of fear of what gets put into their body?

Are they aware that horses are vaccinated?

LOL! Good thing I was sipping water and not coffee or red wine :D Thanks for the laugh.

Whoa (pun intended).

Obviously, vast implications to the system of medical care if this kind of ruling became widespread.

But aside from that, are the horse medicine people the same ones who refuse to get a vaccine because of fear of what gets put into their body?

Are they aware that horses are vaccinated?

Have I told you lately that I love you @Satchie?! Brilliant pun and perfect logic are a winning combination! :D

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

This entire Covid forum is for people who are concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing it or downplaying the severity of it.

If you aren't concerned about Covid, this is not the forum for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Any further attempts to downplay the virus or the pandemic will result in a 3 month Time Out from Websleuths.

Lots of info here about how Covid (Delta) is affecting children. Read it and weep. :(

From increased hospitalizations to long Covid, children can get hit hard by Covid-19. Here's why doctors say kids should be protected - CNN
There are a few paragraphs under each of the following subheadings:

Almost half of children hospitalized with Covid-19 had no known underlying condition

Covid-19 deaths in children shouldn't be ignored, CDC chief says

Protecting kids from Covid-19 is critical to keep them in schools

MIS-C and long Covid can leave lasting impacts

Children can accidentally help spur new variants

Jasmine Clifford, 31, is accused of selling 250 forced vaccination cards through her Instagram account, @AntiVaxMomma, and worked with Nadayza Barkley, 27, who fraudulently entered at least 10 people into the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS) database, according to the district attorney.

Both Clifford and Barkley are charged with offering a false instrument for filing and conspiracy. Clifford was also charged with criminal possession of a forged instrument.

15 charged in fake COVID-19 vaccine card conspiracy in NY: Manhattan DA | PIX11

This article is jaw dropping and belongs in "Believe it or not"
Un-believable.

Woman wins court fight: Animal dewormer to be given to spouse who has COVID-19

An Ohio judge has ordered a hospital to administer an animal deworming medicine
(Ivermectin) to man in ICU with Covid-19. The man's wife had sought to have him treated with Ivermectin. The man, age 52, will receive 30 mg of this drug on a daily
basis for 3 weeks.

The article describes that the wife found Ivermectin on her own and connected with Dr. Fred Wagshul, an Ohio physician who her lawsuit identifies as " one of the foremost experts on using Ivermectin in treating Covid-19" . He prescribed the
drug AND THE HOSPITAL REFUSED TO ADMINISTER IT.

Pretty stunning, don't you think???

Thank you SillyBilly, for your latest mod note!

In response to a lot of posts, about a lot of things:

I had my COVID vaccine at a CVS, flu shot every year at Publix, and back in 2018 had a number of others updated upon recommendation by primary doc based upon some work I was doing at the time, also at Publix. She saw all of those on a registry when I was there last week. I'm surprised that Florida has something other states don't. We aren't usually ahead of the game when it comes to public health.

The four counties near me are out of ICU beds. They are out of pediatric ICU beds.

The mother of a friend of mine had a heart attack Sunday. She needed an ICU bed, but there was none to be had. She has died.

The mother of another friend had a UTI. She's elderly and needed a catheter change. Instead of 30 minutes, the usual, it took 6 HOURS before she could be seen to have that done.

An older friend of mine needs back surgery, badly. Because of her age, she is required to have it in hospital, unlike the outpatient back surgery I had two years ago. Because of the number of COVID patients that are taking up all the resources in hospitals here, her surgery was cancelled. She is in severe, chronic pain and has no idea when she will be rescheduled.

The four-year-old daughter of one of my son's friends had COVID-19 and was hospitalized about 6 months ago. During her infection, her pancreas shut down. She now has Diabetes Type I. Forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637