SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division on Tuesday arrested 61-year-old Curtis Edward Smith of Colleton County.

Smith was charged with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud.

Investigators say that Murdaugh provided Smith with a gun and directed Smith to shoot him in the head for the purpose of causing Murdaugh’s death and allowing for the payment of a stated “death benefit beneficiary;” state investigators say Murdaugh provided a statement to SLED admitting to the scheme of having Smith murder him for the purpose of his son collecting a life insurance policy.

“Additional charges in the case are expected and will be announced at the appropriate time,” SLED officials said. “Smith has also been charged with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana.”
SLED: Murdaugh conspired with Colleton County man in his own shooting

Man arrested in connection to shooting of Alex Murdaugh, charged with assisted suicide

Agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) arrested 61-year-old Curtis Edward Smith, of Colleton County, on Tuesday. Smith is charged with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud.

SLED says additional charges in the case are expected.

Smith has also been charged with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana.

*Alex Murdaugh is also trending on Twitter. :cool:

Along with the killings of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh and the shooting of Alex Murdaugh, the State Law Enforcement Division is also investigating the missing money, whether anyone tried to obstruct an investigation into a 2019 boat crash which Paul Murdaugh was eventually charged and a July 2015 hit-and-run death in Hampton County.

Murdaugh’s father, grandfather and great-grandfather all held the office of solicitor in the area for more than 80 years and other family members were prominent civil attorneys in the region.
Police: Lawyer Murdaugh arranged own death but shot grazed – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

On September 4, it became clear Alex believed that ending his life was his only option. Today, he knows that’s not true. For the last 20 years, there have been many people feeding his addiction to opioids. During that time, these individuals took advantage of his addiction and his ability to pay substantial funds for illegal drugs. One of those individuals took advantage of his mental illness and agreed to take Alex's life, by shooting him in the head. Fortunately, Alex was not killed by the gunshot wound. Alex is fully cooperating with SLED in their investigations into his shooting, opioid use and the search to find the person or people responsible for the murder of his wife and son. Alex is not without fault but he is just one of many whose life has been devastated by opioid addiction.
'Believed that ending his life was his only option:' Murdaugh attorney releases statement
Wow! Who believes this guy anymore? Nobody.

I don’t believe for a second that AM was motivated by generosity/compassion for his son and arranged this attempted suicide for his beneficiary to receive the payout. He’s not a nice guy. MOO
No, he’s not. He’s a coward that couldn’t face the piper’s music. His recipe for perpetual denial: Take one cup of constant guilt and two cups of circling shame. Mix together. Fold in three cups of addiction. Fire up the oven with a speeding bullet. Peace at last.

Wow! What a tangled web.

Wondering if the hapless suicide assistant left the scene after shooting AM, thinking AM was mortally wounded.

Or was CES the good Samaritan.

Had AM actually died, wouldn't this incident be fully investigated by the Insurance Company before a 10 Million dollar payout?
So, not likely AM Scheme of Insurance $$ for his only living Son would have worked out anyway. AM should have known that.

Totally normal where I grew up!

I think it happens everywhere but I still find the number of people who contribute to underage drinking mind boggling. I understand it's not akin to more serious crimes, but it's still illegal and gives young people the idea that breaking the law is ok.

PM had a serious issue with alcohol. Shame on the adults who enabled him. They contributed to his demise and the death of Mallory Beach.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

One black Nike short sleeve shirt: No automotive paint found
One pair of khaki Unionbay cargo shorts: No automotive paint found
Cutting taken from item 3: No automotive paint found
One pair of blue Airspeed Footwear shoes: No automotive paint found
Debris collected from items 2-4: “Several single-layer metallic blue paint chips were found. Due to the condition of the sample, no make, model and year information was able to be obtained.
These paint chips are suitable for comparison should a standard become available.” the note says.

Stephen Smith Case Files: What Happened To The Investigation In 2015? | Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things- all complete speculation:
1. I do not think Meth is in play at all. Or any other drug for that matter. Rehab is a total ploy.
2. Does anyone really think he staged a suicide for his son to receive the life insurance?? Since when has he cared about anyone at all. I think he set this up to make it look like he was willing to sacrifice his own life for his remaining son. For sympathy. He did not intend to die. Wanted it all to look like he was doing this for his son. “I was desperate and so overcome with anguish, oh, and also hopped up on meth.” Ya right. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa