SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

You guys, this is not his fault! All these people have been forcing him to take illegal drugs for twenty years! They held him down and shoved the pills down his throat!

I'm still not sold 100% on him being addicted to anything other than money and power and a cushy lifestyle.

MOO
Even an explanation for the embezzlement in there. Other people overcharged him for his opioids.

JMO

@CodyAlcorn
· 18m
#BREAKING: I just confirmed with Alex Murdaugh’s attorney, Dick Harpootlian, he’s turning himself in on Thursday in Hampton County on multiple charges. Watch the interview tonight on The Ten O’clock News on @foxcarolinanews

Court records from Colleton County showed Murdaugh had been Smith’s lawyer in a 2013 speeding case.
South Carolina lawyer arranged to be shot, police say

Harpootlian, a powerful Columbia, South Carolina lawyer who is also a state lawmaker, told Craig Melvin that he and Jim Griffin — who has contributed to a spin campaign on Alex Murdaugh’s behalf for the last week about how Murdaugh was a targeted victim in the alleged shooting — travelled to an-out-of state rehab facility to speak with Alex Murdaugh on Monday.

“It was the first conversation we’ve ever had with him where he wasn’t on opioids or oxy,” Harpootlian said. “As a result of that he clearly knew what he did was wrong.”
Murdaugh Murders: Alex Murdaugh’s Attorney Says He Will Likely Be Arrested Soon

A law enforcement official with first-hand knowledge of the situation told The Daily Beast that Smith and Murdaugh knew each other and that Smith allegedly supplied the lawyer with drugs. Court records show Murdaugh represented Smith in a personal injury lawsuit ten years ago.
https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/09/...alex-murdaugh-shooting-in-south-carolina.html

Smith, from Walterboro, South Carolina, is a former client of Murdaugh, 53, who represented him in minor traffic matters as well as a 2015 lawsuit that Smith filed against a forest management company.
Police arrest suspect in the shooting of South Carolina legal scion Alex Murdaugh | Daily Mail Online

“It was the first conversation we’ve ever had with him where he wasn’t on opioids or oxy,”
BBM

Oh! Oh! Oh! Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest (brother). Didn't Randy just go public and swear no one knew Alex had an opioid addiction? Oh Randy you just got caught with your pants on fire.

JMO

@CodyAlcorn
· 18m
#BREAKING: I just confirmed with Alex Murdaugh’s attorney, Dick Harpootlian, he’s turning himself in on Thursday in Hampton County on multiple charges. Watch the interview tonight on The Ten O’clock News on @foxcarolinanews
Does anyone want to take a guess at charges? I noticed Mandy tweeted something about “public corruption,” and I’m not sure what that would entail.

Twenty years addicted to opiods. Man oh man are there going to be an awful lot of appeals filed. It seems there's always a "but" when talking about AM...and he's always a victim. There needs to be so much more explained by him. I sure hope it's happening...probably not.
BBM

Yeah my thinking exactly. It really is going to become a "Judicial Hellhole" for the prosecutors and Paradise Road for the defense attorneys and their clients. lol

JMO

ETA: Paradise Road for insurance companies too. Yipee, maybe insurance rates will drop all over the country if the IC's recover some of those huge settlements.

Last edited:
Rule 8.3 refers to the ABA’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct. I believe you are wrong in your interpretation of that rule as requiring an attorney to report addiction in another attorney. Again, if that’s a requirement, there are no lawyers who haven’t violated that requirement.

"V. A NOTE ON ATTORNEY ETHICAL OBLIGATIONS
There are also ethical implications when lawyers become aware that other attorneys may be under the influence of
drugs or alcohol or subject to mental impairments. Neither the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct nor the
New York Rules of Professional Conduct contain a rule that directly addresses substance abuse by attorneys.
However, both sets of rules prohibit lawyers from representing clients when their ability to represent the client is
“impair[ed]” by a “physical or mental condition.”47 Such circumstances may trigger a duty to report the attorney’s
conduct, 48 or advise clients that the attorney is not able to continue with the representation.49 Under the applicable
rules and ethics opinions, impaired lawyers have the same obligations as other lawyers—mental impairment does not
lessen a lawyer’s obligation to provide clients with competent representation. Therefore, law firms navigating these
issues should be aware of the ethical consequences, and potential obligations, that may arise when an attorney is
under the influence of drugs or alcohol or has a mental health impairment."

Footnote 48 goes to the same page I sent you before. When I was in college (BA in Legal Studies) we were also taught the rules thru multiple Ethics classes. The lawyers only has to be reported if the drug use impairs their ability to do their job. But this includes both the inability to actually provide adequate and effective assistance AND having a second person on any accounts that are held in trust for them, in order to ensure they don't....imagine this....misappropriated funds.

I have no doubt in my mind that many, many, many lawyers violate this. States and territories have their own laws as well, and the ones in DC (I believe, I'm on my phone and need glasses) goes so far as to say that the lawyer who didn't report could be in trouble if the knew or SHOULD have known, so people can't say they didn't know and didn't want to know.

Also, the ADA does not cover the confidentiality of a current drug user, only previous users.

This is a .pdf. if it doesn't post correctly, let me know. I can also try to find more

https://www.proskauer.com/uploads/a...4QFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2bFacfO-qcusvTGgnErTBZ

E_Wm5yiXMAMuTU2

Every life insurance policy I ever bought has a 2 year suicide clause. In other words if you kill yourself within two years of buying the policy it won't pay off. What I got from news articles the 10 mil policy was a recent purchase (maybe after MM and PM's murders).

So with that 2 year clause in mind here is a better question IMO. Alex has admitted to being an opioid addict for 20 years (per his attorney and his statements). If Alex was really serious about taking his own life and not having it look like suicide, all he had to do was go to his house or park his car in a remote area where no one was standing by to give him a shot of Narcon and shoot up with a little extra in his daily fix. Guaranteed, knowing what the public knows about opioid addiction and how they build up a tolerance to the drug and have to keep upping the amount to get high, it would have most certainly been ruled an accidental overdose by the coroner. No one the wiser. Key word here is accidental. In that case the insurance company would have paid off no questions asked.

So I do not believe for one second he had any intentions of killing himself. He wanted it to look like he was a target of the same one who killed MM and PM.

JMO
Just wondering in a general way if insurance pays if you died accidentally in the process of doing something “illegal”?

BBM

Yeah my thinking exactly. It really is going to become a "Judicial Hellhole" for the prosecutors and Paradise Road for the defense attorneys and their clients. lol

JMO

ETA: Paradise Road for insurance companies too. Yipee, maybe insurance rates will drop all over the country if the IC's recover some of those huge settlements.
A new round of appeals? All the lawyers get paid. It’s the taxpayers who lose, but the lawyers on both sides can laugh their way to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph