Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking the 911 call and the police stopping the car are two different days and incidents.
I am inclined to agree with you. When I watched the whole video of the DV stop one of the officers was on the phone with a witness that saw the incident prior to the stop. It was clearly stated that she was aggressive towards him and he put his hands up to push/get her away from him. He had the physical evidence on his body and she clearly did not have any marks at the time of the stop (her body was fairly exposed in the attire worn during the stop). Clearly he is an abuser, but during this particular stop there was evidence to the contrary. The police did what they could with the info. they had.

He didn't speed for 20 miles. The route from Moab to the Arches entrance is mostly 55-60. The off ramp is the only place with the 15 mph sign and that sign doesn't appear until partway off the offramp - it was that 15 mph zone where he was going 45.

It is not 15 mph all the way from Moab to Arches. He was driving erratically on that offramp, though (hit the curb or even went over it and then back).

I figure he was controlling about the VanLife uploads - he wanted the money from them, she wasn't doing it fast enough (she made progress that day, but it is very time consuming to edit, add sound, and upload travel youtubes).

Gabby herself says he disparaged her work (probably after urging her to do it, then getting annoyed that it took actual time). He doesn't seem to like being in the town of Moab for that long, even though it's a pretty interesting place.

She admits she hit him too. What felony laws did he break by driving away? No report says he was speeding at that point (why would he wanted to be arrested within city limits?)

I agree that his style of speech is quite problematic, and while not exactly manic, it has a quality to it that is almost too calm. Almost flat. At first I thought this was BL's version of trying to look like the calm, sane person in the situation. But I think it's a lifelong pattern for him to explain away his temper in this way (by being super calm and reasonable-sounding). I think he does have some kind of mental impairment (nothing to do with knowing right from wrong, though). I'm basing part of that on the books he mentions in his SM.

If he was so upset about the time it took for Gabby to upload, he could have gone hiking earlier in the day - a treasure of places within 2-3 miles of Moab, really. Instead, he chooses to lurk around her. There are great places to hike just by walking to the edge of Moab. Like Mill Creek - starts 10 minutes from the CoOp.
The cop says 20 miles speeding. On the cam. I do youtube, my videos are about 15 minutes long, it can take 2 hours for an upload at 1080, less if 720 or less for either in the middle of the night. When I upload I turn off every single other usage of internet in my house. There could have been sudden rush of uploading in the cafe she did not anticipate.

Yes she apparently slapped him too, probably after he slapped and hit her, I'm not sure if the most recent witness saw the altercation first. I guess that he did, since the other story was relayed as the woman (woman "clawing", of course, meow) her way back into the car and slapping in the process. So I suspect this latest witness on the 911 call saw the part where he was slapping her first, and they ran down the block. Then the other witness saw her trying to get into the van. That's my take on the sequence. BL mentioned "her rings" in explaining his wounds, along with the cell phone.

Yes he could have amused himself while she finished her work. I lived in the Alaska wilderness for 15 years, far wilder and isolated than anything I've so far seen along their route in those parks, dozens of miles by boat in the north Pacific to a town. And "entertaining oneself" is the key to surviving. Maybe he never developed skills of that type. Maybe no 22-23 year olds have needed that type of skill.

"Fleeing on foot is considered a misdemeanor offense, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and fines up to $1,000. Because of the inherent risks of fleeing in a vehicle, Utah courts punish these cases more seriously. Attempting to flee in a motor vehicle is considered a felony offense, punishable by up to three years in jail and fines up to $5,000.

Evading The Police Charges In Utah - Utah Criminal Defense Attorneys

Last edited:
The caller witnessed a scuffle. She admitted to assaulting him. He didn't offer that up until the cops started asking about his injuries. She denied he hit her. You can make that of that whatever you want, but he's still innocent in the eyes of the law, while she freely admitted to committing a crime.

I recall it differently. She indicated that he grabbed her face around her jaw.

it's unprofessional for sure but its no different than what we saw here over the weekend and people bringing up their own stories over and over

Yes, it is different. None of us works here. None of us is a sworn officer, posting on duty. Being "unprofessional" = an investigation into police conduct. Which I hope doesn't happen to the poor guy - he just needs to be reminded not to take sides in DV cases, as it lessens VERY much whether the woman in the incident will feel encouraged to tell all of her side.

If a woman senses that LE is on her partner's side, in any way, she may very well clam up. I have done 10 years of training LE in CA, mostly around DV - and "community relations" (how to behave on various calls). I also taught the same courses at a large police academy. I think the officer handled it well, overall, by trying to calm down what he saw as a minor DV incident, in which the larger, stronger party mostly kept his cool.

But afterwards, I bet Gabby had hell to pay for making a scene and attracting LE in the first place. That's probably why they "broke up" and he flew back to FL.

The key question is...why. did he fly back? Gabby clearly permitted him to travel onward with her, in the van. So they made up?

I mean I don't think highly of BL but if you have been on the run for about a week, are you going to kill yourself behind a Walmart dumpster? There's no reports that LE was trailing him or confronting him. Seems like a pretty stinky place to end it when you could do it in a nature reserve or something.
Stinky. HA.

A lot of this case is chillingly similar to the Chaz Halderson case that happened in July. Bodies left in rural, remote areas, days to weeks before bodies were found/missing report was made because of others using the victims phone, bystanders just happening to have crucial evidence of where the POI was... LE not being able to do autopsy for several days due to COVID protocols/remote area, I would think that there is significantly more evidence including phone pings and Internet records that are going to come into play here. It feels really premeditated to me in the sense that a lot of these perps are doing similar things to hide their crimes, but not thinking there are going to be bystanders around.

I mean I don't think highly of BL but if you have been on the run for about a week, are you going to kill yourself behind a Walmart dumpster? There's no reports that LE was trailing him or confronting him. Seems like a pretty stinky place to end it when you could do it in a nature reserve or something.
This is speculation, but maybe someone recognized him from the news, "Hey you're that guy who was with Gabby" and he panicked?

I'm late so I apologize if this has been answered already (probably has) but why would he be in that area? Especially after this long, I feel like if he was really trying to run he could have gotten MUCH farther than Alabama. Then again, he doesn't seem super brilliant so who knows.

I was watching the news feed from this Walmart and the news reporter made a point to say they DO NOT know if this is related, and at this time it’s merely speculation.

Early on I wasn't in the camp that thought BL would kill himself. Now, with the discovery of GP's remains I could change my mind. Time will tell.

This is just a side note to the current discussion.

Brian and Gabby's YouTube channel is named Nomadic Statik. Yesterday I posted a quote he highlighted on his Instagram account:

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart."

It's from Chuck Palahniuk's book 'Fight Club.' He loves Palahniuk's books and mentioned reading some of them on the Appalachian Trail. On Brian's Depop account, he listed for sale some bookmarks he made that were inspired by these books. A stack of Chuck's books are used as props in the background of the photos.

A year ago in August, Brian and Gabby read 'Fight Club' out loud to each other. I read this on one of his Instagram posts. It sounds like Brian really identified with the main themes of this book. It's not just about fighting; it's deeper than that.

I suspect someday a journalist or book author will catch onto this and write about Brian and his fascination with this book.

I'm not clear on the rules here for posting social media links. You can find his Depop account by looking up BizarreDesign, his shop's name.

As long as we're speculating, her death could be a result of self defense. I know you're playing the odds here, but she said she hit him. That's not nothing.
You will not get far pushing theories that Gabby was in any way at fault in her own demise. Please stop pushing them. I'm sure there is a forum somewhere that welcomes that but I don't believe this is it.

A question:

Her body was found across Spread Creek (wide rocky bed with multiple channels) from where the van was parked, right?

It seems that simply walking across the bed isn't easy (mud too soft? etc) because if it was easy to walk across, wouldn't LE/SAR have done that rather than go a different route that required horseback?

IF the above is a reasonable assumption (which it might not be -- maybe there were other reasons to use horses and go the route they did), then what are the likely ways BL and GP (alive or dead at the time) got across? If he dragged her, carried her, or chased her, there would be footprints in the mud, wouldn't there?

I'm having a hard time combining the apparent ease with which BL/GP ended up across the creekbed, with the apparent remoteness/difficulty LE/SAR had in getting there.

Thoughts?

There is not much mud in mountain streams, there is no soil, just rock. It would probably be rocks to walk across. They could be polished and slick from moss.

The horses are typical for LE and NP people in the west. They probably were on horses for longer travel than from the road. They also may be covering the area for other evidence and saving time.

Here is a image of spread creek. What is under water is the same as the shore.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...69ccf/5dde111390189.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

This. Also, why Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member