Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't always agree with Walsh but he's not wrong about this, in my opinion. Basic visual confirmation that a named POI was actually in the jurisdiction. That's all. Shouldn't've been hard, if BL was actually there, and if they couldn't actually get a pair of LE eyes to confirm BL's presence, they should not have REPEATEDLY stated on camera that they "knew exactly where he was."
And now no one knows where he is. ugh. I don't really think that LE/FBI thinks he is alive in that reserve. If they did they would leave units there overnight. Because they keep searching in one centralized area makes me think they are only looking for remains or some form of tech (phone) that is pinging. Still, that is one heck of a search and it seems the only place they are looking at the moment.

I agree. In his work Walsh has always been very motivated to find missing kids and to catch the criminals responsible, but he's usually been fairly professional. I don't know why but in the case he's seemed to really go off the rails. He seems quite unbalanced.
JMO
IMO, I suspect that, like many television personalities, there are very practical business reasons to behave in a particular manner... particularly when new programming/content is being delivered.

News media confirmed it was investigators that created the large cross of rocks where Gabby was found. Her father just mad a smaller one as well.

Whether it’s technically appropriate or not for LE to do this , it’s a tough job that they do, maybe making this gesture of kindness and remembrance is as much for them as for the victim.

I normally like John Walsh but I think his behavior surrounding this case is inappropriate. He must know that he can sway public opinion and he is obviously trying to sow distrust in the FBI at this point. I wish he would stop talking about it. He’s too emotional and it’s unprofessional.

I agree with John that LE made a couple of big mistakes here and we all discussed them in real time. But I agree with you I don't think it's helpful or productive to litigate them in public right now while there is still an emergency going on. I also think it's clear that the mistakes were made by NPPD and the FBI stepped in as soon as they had jurisdiction to take over. I am sure it's tense behind the scenes and whoever in the state of Florida made the decision to 1) not insist on seeing Brian, 2) not leave surveillance outside the house after taking the van, and 3) not obtain search warrants for the house where Gabby last lived earlier is regretting some of their decisions. But I think it's fair to say that it's not a duty police officer who makes those decisions. It's usually a lawyer for the PD in connection with the DA or whoever is ultimately responsible for charges. So I don't really see the benefit to bashing the FBI when maybe really it's the NPPD police prosecutor is more conservative and didn't want to risk a big legal challenge or constitutional issue if it ended up not being a crime.

The reserve was a diversion. BL will be located close to home. Most likely when someone attempts to communicate with him or drop supplies to him. If not in close relation to the parents home, somewhere familiar to him. I would venture a guess that BL is not as inept at roughing it as he would have the public believe. This is evident by the multiple hotel stays, restaurants, etc. It wouldn't be of much use to start a vlog about living off grid without taking pictures off grid. Like most other things posted on social media accounts, there is not always much truth to them. He may be a hiker, but if your van is within half a days walk, then its really not that tough. camping in a reserve close to home, with your car in close proximity where you can run to taco bell then back to your camp site also not really off grid. I would bet when BL visited the reserve he never got more than an hour or two from the parking lot.

There was a case near me where a baby was found dead <modsnip to “under suspicious circumstances”>. The father of the baby, who was on Meth, tried to run. He had to turn himself in because he had nowhere to go. Not one single person would help him. Everyone turned him away, including other Meth users. So, I feel like Brian will only have support from his parents. I don't think anyone would give him food, shelter or assistance of any kind. He and his parents are on their own. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
A team of about 10 divers from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is taking part in the search, said sheriff's office spokesperson Kaitlyn Perez. The Sheriff's Underwater Recovery Force team is highly specialized, she said.

"In the state of Florida, we have really unique bodies of water from marshes to beaches to lakes and kind of everything in between," Perez said.

"These divers are specifically trained and very talented in low visibility bodies of water. They dive down where you and I can't see anything at all. They utilize technology and other special equipment to help them get down deep, into really deep bodies of water."

The North Port Police Department has "deployed numerous resources, and we are trying to cover every acre in this preserve," Commander Joe Fussell said.
Gabby Petito update: More details emerge about her last days as communities where she made her mark mourn - CNN

Question: are the statistics in cases like this similar to that in typical missing person cases, (i.e., the chances of locating the POI decreases the longer the investigation takes)?

It makes no sense that BLs parents would suddenly be so forthcoming with information... and as John Walsh mentioned, how did they know the exact location of the mustang in such a huge area to leave a note and then go retrieve. I am 100% he is probably far far far from there and well stocked. I thought maybe he would kill himself, but its become clear that after getting a lawyer and the response of the parents, the goal was to slip him out while GPs parents were calling and before the POI heated up

I could still see him killing himself. Right now, in a hyper state, he can use his survivalist skills to hide...but at the end of the day... he really did seem to have nothing in his life but Gabby. I think that emptiness will emerge, and he may think he really does have nothing to live for. Just not sure if he is a narcissist or a fatalist!!
moo moo

What he said makes sense. Everyone is emotional, he just shows it more than others sometimes.

red herring - proof of life of Laundrie -

Officers should have also stationed cars on the street on either side of the Laundrie home and arranged for an unmarked car to tail anyone leaving the home, Walsh said.

I'm pretty sure that the FBI are smart enough to be watching for any sign of BL's contact with his family and vice versa.

No point Monday morning quarterbacking whatever has happened prior to now. At this point in time, they need to find BL ... alive or dead. This coulda/woulda/shoulda isn't productive. imo

this made me laugh but also made me have to google alligators. . . they are always hangry. . .they have 80 teeth and they regrow them. here's another factoid. . .
Alligators consume food that cannot be eaten in one bite by allowing it to rot or by biting and then spinning or convulsing wildly until bite-size pieces are torn off. This is referred to as the ‘death roll’.
They're not always hangry, that is misinformation. A gator that is fed will not attack just to attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean