Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I practiced restraint today at Costco, and did not buy four packages of Ghirardelli Brownies.

Now, I want some brownies. o_O
I was just poking in the cabinets and thought, WTH? There’s no cookies in this house. LOL! I found a little sample bag of belvita breakfast biscuits. So I had a little glass of milk and those. I’d rather had a cookie but you make do as always.

I’m thru both my cataract surgeries and I can read street signs! LOL! I’m still struggling with close vision but it is improving daily. Now I feel better about safely cooking. The reader glasses I have are old but they’ll do until my eyes heal a bit more. I’m cleared to drive!

I made cheese grits again for breakfast. What I really want is biscuits and gravy. I normally buy the frozen Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits. They bake up fluffy. Probably have a ton of fat and sodium but whatever. Ha!

I’m going to peruse recipes for sausage gravy to see if I can come up with something.

My eye surgeries have been very different (cancer) but I was always surprised by how fatigued I got. Vision in one eye is exhausting - physically, whole-body exhausting. Take it easy!

I practiced restraint today at Costco, and did not buy four packages of Ghirardelli Brownies.

Well Mickey - you did it. I had Ghirardelli brownie mix I had bought for one of my grandsons when he is here. I had intentionally put them in the very back of a lower corner cabinet.
Reading this late last night, I wanted a brownie so badly. Too late for baking, I thought the urge would pass by today. No such luck. I had to practically crawl in that cupboard to find them.
Now the most wonderful smell is coming from my kitchen.

DH went to Costco on Monday. At this time of year, Costco has an awesome Pumpkin Cheesecake. It wasn't on the list, but I wondered if DH would get one. He didn't get one but did check the bakery area to see if the Pumpkin Cheesecake is available yet. Probably another couple of weeks before we can get the delicious fall dessert. We usually end up getting two during pumpkin spice season.

A really great find at Costco is BelGioso snacking cheese. Nino's has a very small multi-pack with five of the little fresh mozzarella bites, but Costco has a bag with 24. It's my new favorite cheese snack. I also like Baby Bel Lites and Laughing Cow spreadable wedges. There are few cheeses that don't cause digestive issues, so it's nice to have found some that don't irritate my digestive tract.

Last edited:
Pumpkin Spice!! I love Pumpkin Spice everything! I love fall, the weather, the food, sweater weather, soup, stew, chili... cornbread muffins!

I have Laughing Cow cheese in the fridge right now.

We ordered Dim Sum from P.F. Chang's for dinner tonight. DH was a little early for scheduled pick-up and took a small detour to Trader Joe's where he got - guess what? - Pumpkin Cheesecake :D Fall has always been my favorite season. I was never a fan of summer and preferred to be in school and going to ballet 2 or 3 times a week. I love this time of year and all that goes with it. We have been enjoying Pumpkin Spice coffee since last weekend. My sister got me a Pumpkin Pecan candle that she'll bring when she visits in a couple of weeks. So many activities that we enjoyed over the years - apple picking, trips to a local cider mill, hayrides, the bounty of fall produce, etc. For me, fall is the best time of the year!

Last edited:
Now I'm craving dim sum and brownies! There is a traditional Chinese dim sum restaurant in Seattle's Chinatown that has the most fantastic shrimp har gow. It is seriously beyond delicious.

My parents are visiting this weekend, and we're planning on going to my favorite Asian fusion restaurant. I love their pho with anything ranging from tofu, to chicken, to beef, to shrimp. I'm also wanting to finally try drunken noodles. They sound right up my alley.

BetteDavisEyes, I've been on a pumpkin spice coffee kick as well! So tasty, although my favorite "season" of flavored coffee has to be winter. I am obsessed with anything mint chocolate, and I am an absolute sucker for peppermint mochas!

My eye surgeries have been very different (cancer) but I was always surprised by how fatigued I got. Vision in one eye is exhausting - physically, whole-body exhausting. Take it easy!
Gosh I’m so sorry you had to deal with cancer related to your eye. I agree on the exhaustion. Just making a sandwich requires so much focus. That’s why I was afraid to really cook for a few weeks. I went to Dollar General and found clear reader glasses for home and some reader sunglasses for the beach!

I baked off my frozen Pillsbury biscuits this morning. I bake 4 at a time. I have 2 little Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties left. Already had my hot tea with milk.

Attachments

• 0F486908-C508-4074-86AF-25AFA16260FB.jpeg
    0F486908-C508-4074-86AF-25AFA16260FB.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
I attended a course this week and at the conclusion the participants had dinner at a nice restaurant. The meal was included in the price of the course, and you could order anything on the menu. Social distancing was strict, I had two empty seats on each side of me and no one sitting across the table so I felt comfortable, though usually I only eat on a patio or get carry out food.

The salmon I ordered was disappointing though, terribly overcooked to the point it was hard and dry. The lemon butter sauce it was covered with was delicious but the salmon was so hard it didn’t even penetrate into it.

It was a generous serving too, four thick planks of what I am sure was good quality salmon.

I was really surprised that this highly recommended, expensive fancy restaurant didn’t know how to cook salmon.

Using vision does take a lot energy. I have a cookbook that I use,
AMDF Cookbook - Eat Right for Your Sight - AMDF

Recipes for "eye health". Mostly vegetables, fish. I try to get my husband to buy into eating healthier.

Well, off to roast tomatoes, for "Roasted Tomato Basil Soup" for dinner. Gotta use up the garden, getting chilly.

I've been visually impaired my entire life. I was first born in the family, and neither of my parents had vision issues, so they probably didn't realize that I did not see what other people saw. I first went to an ophthalmologist when I was four. Without correction, I was legally blind in both eyes: 20/200 in left eye, 20/400 in right eye. With best possible correction and very thick lenses, my vision improved to 20/25 in left eye, 20/30 in right eye.

When I was 12, my parents determined that I was responsible enough to have contact lenses that I got the summer between 6th and 7th grade. My vision was improved to 20/20 in left eye but never better than 20/25 in right eye that is also a "lazy" eye for which I had right eye muscle surgery in my early 20s. I developed cataracts at age 48 that I attributed to long-term use of steroidal inhalers for asthma. Following the cataract procedures, I was actually able to drive without wearing glasses and never needed readers.

Over the years, my vision has deteriorated with the onset of macular degeneration causing limited visual field, especially in my right eye. I have not driven at night or on freeways for more than 20 years and have limited daytime driving to about a 10 mile radius from home. I'm OK with the way things are at this time and hope I don't get to a point where I can't read.

Last edited:
I've been visually impaired my entire life. I was first born in the family, and neither of my parents had vision issues, so they probably didn't realize that I did not see what other people saw. I first went to an ophthalmologist when I was four. Without correction, I was legally blind in both eyes: 20/200 in left eye, 20/400 in right eye. With best possible correction and very thick lenses, my vision improved to 20/25 in left eye, 20/30 in right eye.

When I was 12, my parents determined that I was responsible enough to have contact lenses that I got the summer between 6th and 7th grade. My vision was improved to 20/20 in left eye but never better than 20/25 in right eye that is also a "lazy" eye for which I had right eye muscle surgery in my early 20s. I developed cataracts at age 48 that I attributed to long-term use of steroidal inhalers for asthma. Following the cataract procedures, I was actually able to drive without wearing glasses and never needed readers.

Over the years, my vision has deteriorated with the onset of macular degeneration causing limited visual field, especially in my right eye. I have not driven at night or on freeways for more than 20 years and have limited daytime driving to about a 10 mile radius from home. I'm OK with the way things are at this time and hope I don't get to a point where I can't read.

You have been through a lot with your eyes, BDE! I hope you will continue to be able to read for a very long time.

My favorite Asian fusion restaurant was shut down today, but we went to a pho place and I debated between veggie and chicken, but went with chicken. It was good, but I prefer the other restaurant's pho. No drunken noodles there!

I got a cold brew maker from Target today for $12. It's from the brand Bodum, and it's basically a French press you put cold water in and let steep in the fridge overnight. I'm excited to try it. I'm a big cold brew fan! Recently I've just been either drinking Nescafe instant coffee (I accept judgement - sometimes, I just don't feel like using the coffee maker) or using my standard Mr. Coffee maker with decent coffee. Hot coffee isn't my favorite (unless it's mocha or espresso!) but I will drink it. I'm much more one for cold brew and iced coffee, so hopefully this will help me. I love Red Bull as well, but I'm trying to avoid drinking it too much, as I have high blood pressure for my age and I feel the Red Bull exacerbates it.

BDE, you really have been through it with your eyesight! I am happy to hear you are happy with where your eyes are now. I imagine it took a lot of acceptance and getting used to to get there.

I keep a stash of freeze-dried instant coffee on hand…not just for emergencies but because it is good sprinkled over ice cream!
I add freeze dried instant coffee to chocolate cake batter and brownie batter.

My first job was at a restaurant where the signature dessert was topped with the secret recipe hot fudge sauce. The secret was that the hot fudge recipe contained several cups of strong coffee that we mixed with the chocolate, cream, and other ingredients. The hot fudge sauce was rich, smooth, and had a unique flavor.

I keep a stash of freeze-dried instant coffee on hand…not just for emergencies but because it is good sprinkled over ice cream!

I swear I saw this recipe for homemade coffee ice cream that involved instant coffee, but I googled it and couldn't turn up with anything! That sounds yummy over ice cream. I love coffee ice cream, but I can also see a bit of instant coffee being tasty over salted caramel or chocolate ice cream.

I add freeze dried instant coffee to chocolate cake batter and brownie batter.

My first job was at a restaurant where the signature dessert was topped with the secret recipe hot fudge sauce. The secret was that the hot fudge recipe contained several cups of strong coffee that we mixed with the chocolate, cream, and other ingredients. The hot fudge sauce was rich, smooth, and had a unique flavor.

That sounds delicious!

After DH's successful chicken pot pie with puff pastry last week, I am going to make this appetizer that I saw Ina Garten make on her cooking show a few years ago. I had only used puff pastry once before, and the mini Spanakopita appetizers didn't turn out well, so I never tried it again. There's one sheet of the puff pastry left after the pot pie crust, so I'm going to make a half portion and see if I can be successful with this recipe. Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network

It has turned quite chilly with lots of rain lately, so we are beginning to think about stocking up on food items that we'll use in the coming months - stocks, pasta/noodles, beans, canned tomatoes, etc. Acorn squash is in season and is one of our favorites. We'll probably have it at least twice a week until the Michigan crop is no longer available. We enjoy it with butter, salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg or stuffed with quinoa, wild rice, and/or brown rice with onion, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese on top. Yum!

Re: "Coffee" treats. I don't do this much any more, but I used to like stirring canned chocolate frosting into a hot cup of coffee. I've also done this with Nutella. You can add cream/whipped cream and top with cocoa powder and/or instant coffee or espresso. A little Kahlua or Godiva liqueur would be a nice additiona, as well ;)

Last edited:
I haven’t seen coffee yogurt on the shelves lately…if you eat yogurt for health reasons and dislike the plain or fruit, coffee is a good option. Dannon makes it. (I make us homemade yogurt but I’ll only eat it myself if mixed with a lot of garlic/cucumber).

After DH's successful chicken pot pie with puff pastry last week, I am going to make this appetizer that I saw Ina Garten make on her cooking show a few years ago. I had only used puff pastry once before, and the mini Spanakopita appetizers didn't turn out well, so I never tried it again. There's one sheet of the puff pastry left after the pot pie crust, so I'm going to make a half portion and see if I can be successful with this recipe. Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network

It has turned quite chilly with lots of rain lately, so we are beginning to think about stocking up on food items that we'll use in the coming months - stocks, pasta/noodles, beans, canned tomatoes, etc. Acorn squash is in season and is one of our favorites. We'll probably have it at least twice a week until the Michigan crop is no longer available. We enjoy it with butter, salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg or stuffed with quinoa, wild rice, and/or brown rice with onion, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese on top. Yum!

Re: "Coffee" treats. I don't do this much any more, but I used to like stirring canned chocolate frosting into a hot cup of coffee. I've also done this with Nutella. You can add cream/whipped cream and top with cocoa powder and/or instant coffee or espresso. A little Kahlua or Godiva liqueur would be a nice additiona, as well ;)

A friend asked her hostess for coffee with Baileys (the liqueur). Hostess misunderstood and dropped bay leaves in her mug. I haven’t tried either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member