Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can still plead the 5th and refuse to answer questions, no one can force you to speak and the constitution protects you from self-incriminating statements, however they can be compelled to appear.
not if you are called as a witness, not a suspect. At least that's what I've been told from legal based friends. the suspect can plead the 5th, but not a witness

I do not believe the hitchhiker story. I believe it was his way of using it as an alibi.

I do believe he got in a fight with Gabby, potentially two way. He then left her for dead and ran. When he came back, he saw that she had died and he legged it.

I don’t think it’s as “clear cut” as murder and I think there are sufficient grey areas in his and his parents minds that means they believe he has a mitigating circumstance. I’m not saying I agree with them.

His parents are coming across as cold hearted but I think they have had enough doubt to want to see a lawyer and the lawyer has told them to stay quiet. I don’t think they know all the details of the case and they are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to their son. Between a rock and a hard place for those parents and I do have some sympathy for them.

of course, if it comes out that against human nature and reasonableness they did in fact know the details and still chose to be obstructive, the courts should through the book at them. I just don’t think it’s as clear cut as people try to make it on here. MOO

I'm leaning towards the 'they had a fight, he took off and when he came back she was dead' theory. It seems like they had quite a fiery relationship and I could see this happening, with no idea how dire the consequences would be.

However, for him to cover it up, not cooperate when Gabby was missing, to involve his parents etc...that to me is horrible and worth being charged with obstruction/perverting the course of justice at the very least. Maybe even manslaughter if it can be proven he left her in a dangerous situation.

I'm trying to think of all the possible scenarios assuming that most/all of these eyewitness reports are true.

• Did BL kill her, try to go on the run, rethink his decision, hitch-hike back to the van and then come home?
  • Did BL kill her and intentionally hitch-hike to develop an alibi that he'd been gone for several days and that she was working in the van? But then why go on the run instead of calling 9-1-1? That whole plan hinges on him supposedly returning to a crime scene and being horrified.
  • Did they break up and he said "fine, I'm leaving then," only to come back via hitch-hiking to stalk her and kill her?
All very confusing.

Does anyone have information or theories about why BL felt the need to get home so quickly, by September 1?

I appreciated the information about Hurricane Ida, had not even thought of that!

But I can't make any of it make sense. He could have bopper anywhere in that van, seems like he is comfortable alone for stretches of time. No one tried to hide the van, so that can't be the reason, in fact, if he knew she was dead, going home seems odd, unless he knew exactly where he was going to hide.

I just don't understand what was compelling him to cover so many miles SO quickly. I wondered if something else had happened at home-some other sort of emergency....strange case, for sure!
He sped home ‘cos he needed his momma.

Frank Figliuzzi, a former assistant director for counterintelligence at the FBI, speculated that Laundrie's parents would soon be summoned to a grand jury. "I would expect that to happen momentarily, see them in front of a grand jury, and then if they are not going to cooperate, they can get charged with contempt or obstruction," Figliuzzi told CNBC. "There is no parental-child privilege, and I actually thought, by now, we would see them summoned to the grand jury. We now have an indictment, it's a federal case."
National security expert expects Brian Laundrie’s parents to be 'summoned to the grand jury' momentarily

The source revealed to CNN's Chris Cuomo on Thursday that Laundrie left his parents' home in Florida without his wallet and phone. This reportedly has been causing major concern as he might do something to himself anytime.

Since he cut his ties wholly and brought nothing to support himself, it is highly likely that the man never plans to return.

As of the writing, the authorities continue to search a nature reserve in Venice near his family's home in North Port.
Gabby Petito update: Brian Laundrie left home without phone or wallet and his parents were concerned he might hurt himself, source says - CNN

eta:
Cops Swarm Fla. Preserve as Manhunt for Indicted Gabby Petito Fiance Intensifies
Why do they keep going to the preserve if they don’t think he is there?

He can always get a burner phone, and I wonder if he removed anything from that wallet - though any credit card activity can be traced. This doesn't really convince me he was planning to die. He could be smarter than we think. MOO

I think parents were truly concerned. I don’t think they wanted to bring in LE. That’s brought quite the storm on them. They were at a stand off till they they filed endangered missing person report. It’s taken this long for Feds to finally get some warrant for arrest out.

An attorney for Laundrie’s family emphasized that the warrant was not for Petito’s death but related to activities that took place afterward.

“It is my understanding that the arrest warrant for Brian Laundrie is related to activities occurring after the death of Gabby Petito and not related to her actual demise,” Steve Bertolino said in a statement. “The FBI is focusing on locating Brian and when that occurs the specifics of the charges covered under the indictment will be addressed in the proper forum.”
New details emerge about Brian Laundrie’s behavior in the days after Petito went missing – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

When a person cuts off from family and friends and leaves no trace, the likely scenario on balance of probability is they are deceased.
Gabby went silent since end of august, it was clear she was going to be found deceased and only a matter of time.
I do not buy the masses of conspiracy theories that he’s being hidden and on the run. I believe he will have killed himself and that is why there is zero trace.
It will be more difficult to find him deceased than a living and breathing person that needs to eat / sleep / drink / connect with friends and family / travel, where a trail will be left behind. MOO
Yeah, I kind of feel like BL killed her in an impulsive rage and then made decisions out of fear. It honestly doesn't surprise me that he went home to his parents. Maybe his parents feared he would be suicidal and that's why they didn't contact anyone and tried to go about life as usual while they figured out what to do. But, as time went on and the media caught wind, it pushed BL over the edge he had obviously been on since even before GP's death.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I'm guessing that some people out that way travelling aren't glued to the news for many reasons or haven't been playing close attention, given that they're travelling, enjoying the outdoors and sharing their experiences.
And honestly, most people aren't like many of us here on WS -- glued to true crime news and always on the lookout for missing and wanted persons. In my opinion, most people are just living their lives and wrapped up in their own issues and day-to-day things that need their attention.

What I don't understand is why people are only just coming forward NOW about it.

Does that not seem suspicious to you!? This case has been making the news worldwide for 2 weeks now.

It just seems slightly odd to me that someone would only just recall that they picked up BL at the time this all happened..

JMO
To add to this, everyone knows these days everything is recorded by anyone that has a phone. If he was flipping out in a restaurant Im really surprised no one caught it on camera. MOO

If I was on the run, I would leave my phone at home. But I would quickly pick up a burner.

I am sure the FBI has checked places burners can be purchased, look at him movements and purchases up until he went missing, as well as looking at phone pings within the search area. Remember a press conference by the families lawyer was to go ahead a day after him going missing and then cancelled. This may have been the families plea to BL to return home. I read that this was due to not being in the "clients best interests" and another source, the FBI requested that it be cancelled. Not sure which is correct, or if wither even are

Possibly...However, and this is strictly my opinion, I don't think he is in the Reserve. I think he is long gone. Smart tactic at this point (again, just my opinion) would be to find something to arrest one or both of his parents...get them into custody and interrogate/break them. They know a LOT more than they are saying at this point.

Seriously. Maybe possession of stolen property. They were storing a stolen van in their driveway.

@Slamalam my apologies, i got the date wrong! He was sighted at the Jackson gas/petrol station on the 29th at 11pm. He exited the highway near his home at 10:30am on the 1st. The drive is 36 hours, so this fits perfectly with my theory that he drove straight home without sleep and without stopping.

Told his parents, they got a lawyer, and have been unable to speak since.

This woman says she picked him up and dropped him at the spread creek camping area. He probably thought about what to do for 4-5 hours, and then freaked out and drove straight home.

So here's the theory.

1. She was killed on the 29th during the day.
2. He hiked to the town afterwards, had a shower.
3. He hitchhiked back, but when he realised the first woman turned off on the wrong road (not the highway leading to the van), he freaked out and got out.
4. He was picked up by a second woman and dropped back to the gates of the teton camping area where the van was / Gabby's body was.
5. He packed up / thought about what to do for a few hours / freaked out. Headed out before 11pm.
6. 11pm he was seen on CCTV at Jackson gas/petrol station filling up car and rambling to himself.
7. He drove straight home on no sleep / adrenaline / fear. It is nearly EXACTLY 36 hours from the last sighting to the time he turned off the highway near his home at 10:30 am.
8. Told his parents.
9. They took him camping from 2-9th to work out what to do. Came home, lawyered up and couldn't speak to police due to legal advice.

Last edited:
I can't keep up with the threads. BL was charged only with fraud and not homicide, why?

They don't have strong enough proof he did it but without charging him for something else, which usually is a much more minor offence, it means they can't use as many resources to launch a country wide man hunt. Now, with the charge against him they can go after him and obviously once they have him they can unravel the truth about Gabby.

The federal arrest warrant for BL states that he used Gabby's bank card between
Aug. 30th and Sept. 1st. The last know sighting of Gabby we are aware of is on the 27th. Do you guys think the FBI has later sightings of her? If she were still alive up until the 29th that would place the $200 hitchhiker incident, and the Stan message before her death. My guess is she died on the 27/28th, but he didn't use the debit card until the 30th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member