Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the added complication that the vehicle was in its registered driveway. How is a vehicle "stolen" if it is parked right in the driveway where it belongs? For all police knew at the time, Gabby parked it there then left for somewhere else.

Theft is generally taking property with the intent to not return it. Since the van was parked right where it was registered I think the best they could do is maybe a charge of unauthorized use of a vehicle. Which I believe is a simple misdemeanor.

And LE had much, much bigger fish to fry at that time. jmo

ETA: I was wrong. Unauthorized use of a vehicle is indeed a felony; just not as bad a felony as grand theft auto.

Do we actually know that was its "registered driveway"?

For anyone who is interested, I found the podcast that refers to the power outage in Utah and ordering pizza. The hosts are in Utah, they confirm that there was a windstorm and probably a power outage and they also indicate that GP told her dad that "we" need pizza. I have no idea how to link a podcast and I doubt it's a verified source, but it is called Murder With my Husband, Gabby Petito Bonus Episode released September 17. The relevant portion starts around the 17:30 mark. JMO

Last edited:
Way way way back in the beginning I listened to a podcast about this case. I don't remember the podcast but the hosts lived in SLC and as I recall they confirmed there was a power outage at the time. MOO

Edit - @elmomom I believe this podcast also referred to getting a pizza for both. It was assumed they were both there. MOO
JP may have thought that, but NS I think knew about B
s trip to move stuff out of storage. Not sure when she knew it, though. But I think G must have told her that, at some time during her week at the Fairfield. jmo

For anyone who is interested, I found the podcast that refers to the power outage in Utah and ordering pizza. The hosts are in Utah, they confirm that there was a windstorm and probably a power outage and they also indicate that GP told her dad that "we" need pizza. I have no idea how to link a podcast and I doubt it's a verified source, but it is called Murder With my Husband, Gabby Petito Bonus Episode released September 17. The relevant portion starts around the 17:30 mark

BBM

That's interesting that she would say "we" when this is the time frame that BL was supposedly back in FL clearing out the storage locker

MOO

BBM

That's interesting that she would say "we" when this is the time frame that BL was supposedly back in FL clearing out the storage locker

MOO

I would take that with a big grain of salt. It came out early in the case and I think maybe the info that BL had come back to FL may not have been publicly known yet? I don't think these hosts would have verified information independently (no shade!)

Still it was interesting to me because it was the first real introduction I had to the case. MOO

Last edited:
It was something with the power grid. Wildfires, IIRC. Gabby had no wifi, so dad ordered a pizza.

"In an interview with the New York Post, Joseph urged people to 'focus on finding her. I can't implore that enough. All of the crap afterward will sort itself out. Please find her. I beg you.'

He added that, on August 21, his daughter let him know on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.

'Everything was good. She had lost power to wherever she was at. She couldn't get on the WiFi for whatever reason,' Petito said."

Dad of Gabby Petito says 'he will do anything to find her' after she vanished on trip with fiance | Daily Mail Online
I just searched and there was a 'strong t-storm' at like 6:30pm on the 21st so that would make sense there was a power outage IMO.

BBM

MOO
I'm beginning to think the dates we all think Brian was in Fl are wrong. Remember the Kicks 66 sighting on the 21st? I think Brian got back to SLC the 21st not the 23rd. IMO.

"At the Kicks 66 convenience store located down the street just a few hundred yards away from the Fairfield Inn, a cashier recognized the couple.

The cashier told the DailyMail.com, 'They came into together on the night of August 21. I remember them because he was telling her to 'hurry up.'

She didn't say anything back to him, at one point she left the store for a few minutes and came back in. They bought bottles of water, a few packages of instant noodles and donuts.'"

The cashier pointed out that the Salt Lake City FBI headquarters is across the street from the convenience store, also within a few hundred feet of the Fairfield Inn. 'Their vehicle would have had to pass by the FBI cameras outside of the building pointing toward the street on several occasions.'

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

JP may have thought that, but NS I think knew about B
s trip to move stuff out of storage. Not sure when she knew it, though. But I think G must have told her that, at some time during her week at the Fairfield. jmo

Would that be how it made it onto
Gabby’s uncles’ original timeline? —> Gabby shared with her mom at the time…and then Nicole shared it with Gabby’s uncle when he/the family was trying to piece info together?!

She also wrote a version of the same thing on the ink portrait posted in her Instagram ("I don't like to go outside" or something similar), which seems weird for someone who has an insta 95% based on being outside. I'm guessing it was a joke between them or something - can't imagine there's anything significant to it.

So that means there are two references to her not going outside, that we know of. It could be very significant.

So that means there are two references to her not going outside, that we know of. It could be very significant.

There's also a photo out there of her ziplining across a gorge or similar (think it showed up in her memorial service), so I kind of thought that was a joke; but YMMV, I guess.

It may have been, but its owner had changed her residence from FLA to NY. jmo

Maybe she had. I'm personally not so sure the NPPD Chief was right about that. But last time we discussed this I pointed out there was no other documentation of a NY residence, documentation that is typically used to prove residence-- no job in NY, no apartment rented in NY, no utilities connected in NY, no voter registration in NY, no drivers license in NY, no car registration/tags for the van in NY. People opined all kinds of reasons they hadn't done "the paperwork" but had still moved. Still, we know the van had Florida plates and a Florida registration. So officially it had a FL home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea