Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

Feb 28, 2022 // Updated 3/1/22

CHULA VISTA, Calif. – The husband of missing Chula Vista mother Maya Millete was back in court Monday.

Larry Millete, 40, appeared with attorney Bonita Martinez for a readiness hearing at the South Bay Courthouse in Chula Vista. Millete, who was arrested and charged last fall in his wife’s murder, will return to court May 12 for a readiness hearing after Martinez requested more time to prepare.

A preliminary examination for Millete also has been set for June 27.

Maya Millete: Husband of missing Chula Vista mom appears in court

@Niner - the 4/14/22 at 8:30am preliminary hearing was vacated and reset for June 27. Readiness hearing continued to May 12.
The last I have heard on LMs preliminary hearing was that it was set for April 14, 2022. I have not seen anything further. Anyone know what is going on?
I know it's hard to keep up with all these court dates. I found the above post that says-- - the 4/14/22 at 8:30am preliminary hearing was vacated and reset for June 27. Readiness hearing continued to May 12.

Will Maya's trial be televised?
Generally, any CA criminal trials I recall watching were via Court TV and not local networks. The statute does not prohibit filming but it's at the Judges' discretion.

Cameras in the Courtroom - news_and_reference

Rule 1.150:

• Leaves to judges’ the discretion to allow the use of cameras in all areas, including all pretrial hearings in criminal cases;

• Prohibits camera coverage of jury selection, jurors, and spectators in the courtroom;

• Lists 18 factors a judge must consider in ruling on a request for camera coverage— including the importance of maintaining public access to the courtroom, preserving the privacy rights of the participants in the proceedings, and the effect of camera coverage on counsel’s ability to select an unbiased jury;

• Continues to ban cameras at proceedings held in chambers or closed to the public; conferences between an attorney and a client, witness, or aide or between attorneys; and conferences between counsel and the judge at the bench; and

• Since Jan 1, 2006, includes new digital technologies, such as camera cell phones, in the restrictions on the use of photographing, recording, and broadcasting in state courtrooms and makes these technologies subject to a judicial order permitting their use.

I know it's hard to keep up with all these court dates. I found the above post that says-- - the 4/14/22 at 8:30am preliminary hearing was vacated and reset for June 27. Readiness hearing continued to May 12.

Those are the dates that I have - so correct! :)

And there is a Guardianship hearing tomorrow, 4/25 but I don't have a time.

Monday, April 25th:
*Hearing (re Guardianship) (@ am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) with murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21).
*Larry Millete (39/now 40) regarding gun violence restraining order on possession of guns (1/7/21) <<temporary GVRO in place against Millete was dissolved 12/1/21. Plead not guilty.
Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 12/16/21 reference post #163 here:
Deceased/Not Found - CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

1/19/22: Guardianship: During the hearing the judge changed the visitation rules saying the maternal relatives can have the children visit them in Riverside County. Next hearing on 4/25/22. 1/21/22 Update: Visitations hearing on 2/25/22 was vacated.
2/28/21 Update: Murder: 2/28/22 Update: Defense attorney Martinez needs more time to prepare. Millette will return to court 5/12/22 @ 1:30pm for a preliminary exam readiness hearing. The preliminary examination for Millete that was set for 4/14/22 has been reset for 6/27/22 @ 8:30am.

1/19/22: Guardianship: During the hearing the judge changed the visitation rules saying the maternal relatives can have the children visit them in Riverside County. Next hearing on 4/25/22.

I found the announcement of the hearing, but couldn't find any of the news sites reporting what happened. (MOO, I don't anticipate many changes at this time.) Didn't catch any local news reports about it either.

Guardianship hearing to be held for Maya Millete's 3 children (10news.com)
Posted at 8:32 AM, Apr 25, 2022 and last updated 8:32 AM, Apr 25, 2022

AAWOwcP.img
OIP.6vF0NojTcsyPp5QxBJhWhwHaFj
OIP.Q2Dpnq8BQMIjQVLUPGd3VQHaEK

Today is Maya's 41st Birthday, but she's not here. Missing for over a year now. As you can see in the video, her family, friends, and devoted search team members remember her beautiful vibrancy and have hope there will be justice for Maya.
44.gif

Loved Ones of Maya Millete, Missing Chula Vista Mother, Celebrate Her 41st Birthday – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)

Guardianship hearing for Maya Millete's three children - ChulaVistaToday.com

4/26/22

millete.jpg;w=960

Maricris Drouaillet, sister of Maya Millete, the Chula Vista mother of three who disappeared over a year ago, will file a petition in court next week to assume guardianship for the children.

Since November of last year, Drouaillet has requested temporary legal custody and, if possible, permanent custody for the Millete children ages 5, 10, and 11.

Drouaillet began the process in October after a judge ordered that the children's father, Larry Millete, could not contact his children.

Drouaillet argues that the children's mother, Maya, is still missing, and their father is in prison. According to court documents, Drouaillet wants to offer a stable home.

In a previous hearing, Drouaillet promised to "provide them with a loving and stable home, and I will make it easier for them to obtain the psychological help they need."

The court ordered psychological care for the Millete children to help process the loss of their mother and the incarceration of their father.

The court authorized visits from Drouillet and other family members in November 2021.

"While I will do everything I can to help bridge the gap with Larry's family, I wonder if Larry's family is capable of providing the children with the kind of emotional and psychological help that they need right now, so my application for this conservatorship," Drouaillet said in documents.

Any news @Seattle1 on the next hearing for the guardianship case?

TIA! :)

No date was published but there was a hearing in Oct 2021, January 2022, and April 2022.

Seems to me that the hearings are scheduled about 90 days apart -- probably because the Court needs updates from the GAL on the progress of the children.

Appears that Larry and his parents continue to contest MD's quest for permanent guardianship so I hope the children's mental and emotional health is being closely monitored.

I am wondering what is happening with the family home and expensive cars. With no income (?) from LM or MM, I wonder how long before the house is sold or foreclosed?

If we have any HR managers on the thread, can you share how a company would handle employees who are incarcerated or missing?
Given that MM hasn’t been declared deceased, I wonder what happens as far as life insurance, etc.

Amateur opinion and speculation

No date was published but there was a hearing in Oct 2021, January 2022, and April 2022.

Seems to me that the hearings are scheduled about 90 days apart -- probably because the Court needs updates from the GAL on the progress of the children.

Appears that Larry and his parents continue to contest MD's quest for permanent guardianship so I hope the children's mental and emotional health is being closely monitored.

Thanks - I'll figure out the 90 days... :)

I am wondering what is happening with the family home and expensive cars. With no income (?) from LM or MM, I wonder how long before the house is sold or foreclosed?

If we have any HR managers on the thread, can you share how a company would handle employees who are incarcerated or missing?
Given that MM hasn’t been declared deceased, I wonder what happens as far as life insurance, etc.

I'm curious about LM's employment status on the date he was arrested.

Falling back on a defendant being innocent until proven guilty, I recall that under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, many state and federal employees are placed on suspended or administrative (paid) leave -- not losing their benefits until they've been convicted.

In this case, LM maintains that MM is voluntarily missing and the Court has not yet proven that LM is responsible for her death and/or disappearance.

I'll never forget when I first learned about this protection under Title VII for certain employees: it was the 1999 murder of TX Belinda Temple by her husband David. A high school teacher/coach, he was suspended with pay for 8 years before being convicted of murder!

(Temple was convicted for the 2nd time of killing his wife last year).

Every state has its own probate statute but California law permits a missing person's spouse and other certain family members—such as a parent or child—to submit a petition to the court requesting that a missing person be “presumed dead” if that person has not been seen or heard from for five or more years.

Also, last week when Maricris was quoted as saying ".... my application for this conservatorship,..." her use of this term surprised me since conservatorship typically applies to adults and not minors.

I wonder if Maricris is being preemptive in an attempt to preserve Maya's community assets for the benefit of her surviving children.

MOO

ETA: Generally, under conservatorship, a conservator is appointed to handle financial matters of their ward.

Last edited:
I'm curious about LM's employment status on the date he was arrested.

Falling back on a defendant being innocent until proven guilty, I recall that under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, many state and federal employees are placed on suspended or administrative (paid) leave -- not losing their benefits until they've been convicted.

In this case, LM maintains that MM is voluntarily missing and the Court has not yet proven that LM is responsible for her death and/or disappearance.

I'll never forget when I first learned about this protection under Title VII for certain employees: it was the 1999 murder of TX Belinda Temple by her husband David. A high school teacher/coach, he was suspended with pay for 8 years before being convicted of murder!

(Temple was convicted for the 2nd time of killing his wife last year).

Every state has its own probate statute but California law permits a missing person's spouse and other certain family members—such as a parent or child—to submit a petition to the court requesting that a missing person be “presumed dead” if that person has not been seen or heard from for five or more years.

Also, last week when Maricris was quoted as saying ".... my application for this conservatorship,..." her use of this term surprised me since conservatorship typically applies to adults and not minors.

I wonder if Maricris is being preemptive in an attempt to preserve Maya's community assets for the benefit of her surviving children.

MOO

ETA: Generally, under conservatorship, a conservator is appointed to handle financial matters of their ward.
As always, a wealth of info Seattle, thank you!
It will be interesting to see what happens with the home, cars, etc.

Such a sad mess. I pray that LM can NOT financially benefit in any way from MM’s death such as life insurance, social security, etc. I’m sure Maricris and Richard would carefully oversee a trust for the children with the appropriate court appointed overseer.
I pray Maricris and Richard prevail vs. the paternal grandparents who seem to be full of vitriol towards MM.

May 9, 2022
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) — The parents of Larry Millete have filed a lawsuit against Chula Vista Police and the City of Chula Vista alleging violation of civil rights and intentional infliction of mental distress.

In the lawsuit, the Milletes claim police left the family traumatized when they executed a search warrant at the home on May 7, 2021.

“The police officers just forced their way in the plaintiffs' grand daughters bedroom pointing their guns at them. Plaintiffs' grandchildren were in shock and terror,” the lawsuit alleges.

They also claim police picked up Millete’s kids from school without consent in September.

and in the article you can click to see the whole lawsuit.

May 9, 2022
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) — The parents of Larry Millete have filed a lawsuit against Chula Vista Police and the City of Chula Vista alleging violation of civil rights and intentional infliction of mental distress.

In the lawsuit, the Milletes claim police left the family traumatized when they executed a search warrant at the home on May 7, 2021.

“The police officers just forced their way in the plaintiffs' grand daughters bedroom pointing their guns at them. Plaintiffs' grandchildren were in shock and terror,” the lawsuit alleges.

They also claim police picked up Millete’s kids from school without consent in September.

I'm very sorry about their dishwasher.

Seriously.

Loss of Life -- balance -- kitchen appliance.

Well, we see where their priorities lie.

Legal search warrant. Murder investigations are messy.

Misplaced anger because it's not LE but their son who brought this all on.

JMO

...“The police officers just forced their way in the plaintiffs' grand daughters bedroom pointing their guns at them. Plaintiffs' grandchildren were in shock and terror,” the lawsuit alleges.

Oh, wow. Thanks @Niner.
I have Fox5 local news on, and they opened with this news development. I have to admit, LM's parents complaints concerning the children come across as justified. What?!! Wait, don't throw tomatoes at me yet. I haven't read the whole complaint yet, but my initial reaction hearing this on the news was shock that CVPD handled it that way.

Yes, I do not think I'd agree with mine, or anyone's children, being picked up and kept in questioning without my knowledge. Is that how it really happened? Can't believe LE would do it that way. Remember, this is just my initial reaction, hearing this on the Fox5 local news. I hope I find out LM's were notified by CVPD well in advance.

I care about Maya's children, not LM's parents. Sorry, but I am also cringing to read about the May 7, 2021 event when police officers entered the home with guns pushing their way into rooms and, come on, probably terrifying the children. ("Plaintiffs grandchildren were in shock and terror.") I know LM's parents have continually bashed Maya and certainly have told mistruths, so I hope CVPD did things by legitimate procedures and kept their actions faultless. This is certainly not how CVPD presented itself throughout what I was seeing on the news reports, including the interviews with the police chief. What do you all think about the complaints in regards to the children?

BENITO LEO MILLETE; JUDITH I MILLETE PLAINTIFFS, VS. CHULA VISTA POLICE DEPARTMENT, AND CITY OF CHULA VISTA

“When they went to pick up their grand daughters, plaintiffs were worried even more, because they were not at the usual pick-up spot. Plaintiffs went to the office to find out where they were,” the lawsuit continues. “Plaintiffs were told by the clerk that about 9:00 a.m. police took them. The CCV police officers did not return the three children until 5:30 p.m.”

This is all MOO and initials thoughts on this latest development.

Last edited:
Some of their complaints are silly and petty though. JMO, upon reading #8, it sounds like LE did try to shelter the children away from the search isolating them in the kitchen and then backyard. The complaint of spending two hrs. in the backyard seems petty.

Being embarrassed and humiliated and blaming LE is putting the blame in the wrong direction. After all, LE is doing their job. Their embarrassment and shame is connected to the humiliation their son has caused them for being under investigation for the murder of his wife. I don't see how you can blame CVPD for the trembling and how uncomfortable they were. CVPD, doing their job, isn't responsible for all their reactions.

8. CCV Police officers unlawfully detained the plaintif1's and their three grandchildren, grandson age 5, granddaughters, ages 9 and 11. CCV police officers told the plaintiffs and the three grandchildren to go to the kitchen and not to leave the kitchen. Afterwards, the CCV police (24) officers demanded that the plaintiffs go outside in the back yard. The plaintiffs and the (25) grandchildren were in the back yard for about two hours. Neighbors and the media and others were staring at plaintiffs and their grandchildren. Plaintiffs were embarrassed, humiliated.

9. Plaintiffs and the grandchildren were shocked, trembling, shaken, scared, and uncomfortable (5) because they were intimidated by the CCV police officers' actions.

BBM
...Legal search warrant. Murder investigations are messy.

Misplaced anger because it's not LE but their son who brought this all on.
I have to agree with your statements. Their son brought this all on them and the children. Can't expect all kinds of touchy feeling hand holding while LE conducts a search warrant. Just hope when LE took those kids out of school, kept them in questioning all day, that they had notified the grandparents. It's hard for me to believe LE didn't
go through correct (CYA) procedures.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimsical Chaos
Back