Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Nicole F's tweet

"Defense is bringing up an order asking the state doctors to start at least releasing videos and test results while they still work on the report. Says it's being ignored."

No kidding. If I'm understanding what he's asking for, his request should be ignored. I'd be awfully surprised if any competent mental health professional anywhere would release the results of an evaluation "piecemeal" much less release raw test data without a report. And in court cases it's rare for the defense and/or the prosecution to have mental health training of the sort needed to interpret test data. (Like maybe a doctorate in clinical psychology.)

There are all sorts of ethical guidelines that relate to psych testing. See for example,

One critical area involves not releasing testing information in such a way as it might be misunderstood. So I'd think the report & whatever else is to be released would need to be released together.

I don't know why it's so slow except that we've been told there is a huge backlog of court-ordered evals. LS isn't their only case.

JMO

I dunno -- I have a hard time believing the defense here about anything -- especially any willingness to help the state get this case on track. IMO, they are pushing for the videos here for a reason. I wish the defense would have been asked on the record if they've viewed them. JMO
Found this recap of the June 9 hearing.

[…]
“I was hoping that we would be much much further along at this point, but there isn’t anything I can do about this either,” Judge Gregory Werner said in court Thursday about the delays.

Josh Tolini, Stauch's attorney, asked Judge Werner to order CMHIP to release some of their documents/recordings from their evaluation with Stauch to both legal teams to move the process along. The judge indicated he would issue that order.
[…]

Found this recap of the June 9 hearing.

[…]
“I was hoping that we would be much much further along at this point, but there isn’t anything I can do about this either,” Judge Gregory Werner said in court Thursday about the delays.

Josh Tolini, Stauch's attorney, asked Judge Werner to order CMHIP to release some of their documents/recordings from their evaluation with Stauch to both legal teams to move the process along. The judge indicated he would issue that order.
[…]
Thanks, @Cindizzi. Perhaps the defense is more anxious to have videos and/or piecemeal data from the last evaluation available for their "out of state" evaluator than they are to get the case on track and a trial date set. MOO

Thanks, @Cindizzi. Perhaps the defense is more anxious to have videos and/or piecemeal data from the last evaluation available for their "out of state" evaluator than they are to get the case on track and a trial date set. MOO
Have to wonder just what the heck is going on. JMO
Remember in April when Defense said they needed to travel to Soth Carolina to retrieve LS medical records? This was April 21 and CMHP reportedly said they’d have the evaluation done by end of May.
This is ridiculous. Moo

Letecia Stauch hearing delayed again, judge makes 'unorthodox' move​

The mental health evaluation of Letecia Stauch is still not complete after months of waiting, according to an El Paso County judge.

The lack of a complete mental health evaluation from the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo means the case can't continue, and a new hearing date must be set.

"Nothing can be done, and the case can't move forward without this report," Judge Gregory Werner said in court Thursday afternoon.

Stauch is accused of having killed her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon, in 2020.

Instead of setting a new hearing date, Judge Werner opted instead to wait until the mental health evaluation is complete to set a new date, something Werner described as "unorthodox."

Neither District Attorney Michael Allen nor Stauch's defense attorney Joshua Tolini objected to not setting a new hearing date.

Werner said that the hearing would be set out a minimum of two weeks after the mental health evaluation is received, to give family of the victim time to make travel arraignments to be in court.

Tolini did, however, express his desire to file for a show cause hearing if the doctors responsible for the mental health evaluation at CMHIP don't send information they have thus far to the defense, something which was agreed upon at the previous court hearing in June if the evaluation wasn't complete.

If a a request for a show cause hearing is filed it would require a CMHIP representative to appear in Colorado's 4th Judicial District Court and show cause for why the evaluation continues to be delayed.

Tolini indicated he would file for a show cause hearing on Wednesday if he does not receive documents from CMHIP.

District Attorney Allen disagreed with the need for a show cause hearing and described it as "going off on a tangent."

Werner, though, said himself that if the mental health evaluation is not completed soon that he would like for the doctor responsible for the evaluation in court "regardless."

[…]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- The woman accused of murdering her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon Stauch, in January of 2020 is claiming that she wasn't sane at the time of the crimes. Five months after making that claim to a judge, her mental health evaluation still is not complete amid a major backup at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo.

The judge and attorneys from both sides expressed their frustration about the delay in court Thursday, with Judge Gregory Werner saying there wasn't anything he could do to move this process along.

Stauch refused to be transported from the jail for her court appearance Thursday, and once again did not face the judge or Gannon's family in court. This follows a pattern of requesting to stay at the jail "due to her mental health" and the stress she might go through if she did appear in court. The judge did say in court Thursday that he was planning to require her to appear until he found the report wasn't ready yet.

[…]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- The woman accused of murdering her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon Stauch, in January of 2020 is claiming that she wasn't sane at the time of the crimes. Five months after making that claim to a judge, her mental health evaluation still is not complete amid a major backup at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo.

The judge and attorneys from both sides expressed their frustration about the delay in court Thursday, with Judge Gregory Werner saying there wasn't anything he could do to move this process along.

Stauch refused to be transported from the jail for her court appearance Thursday, and once again did not face the judge or Gannon's family in court. This follows a pattern of requesting to stay at the jail "due to her mental health" and the stress she might go through if she did appear in court. The judge did say in court Thursday that he was planning to require her to appear until he found the report wasn't ready yet.

[…]
Wow, just... wow. First of all, I am not sure I believe the defense is really all that "frustrated" about another delay. Imo, LS is hoping to delay this trial indefinitely.

Secondly, she's still refusing to come to court?! Does she think rules just don't apply to her? I am so over this clown show. Let's get some justice for this innocent boy and his family. Grrrrr.

Wow, just... wow. First of all, I am not sure I believe the defense is really all that "frustrated" about another delay. Imo, LS is hoping to delay this trial indefinitely.

Secondly, she's still refusing to come to court?! Does she think rules just don't apply to her? I am so over this clown show. Let's get some justice for this innocent boy and his family. Grrrrr.
ITA. I refuse to believe that her Defense team is doing all they can to further these proceedings.

As far as her not being present in Court, I didn’t see any Tweets today regarding that. But now I think it was unclear to the reporters due to WebEx being down. I wonder if the Judge was trying to make her appear virtually since she refused to be in person.

Sounds like she and her Defense did not file a Motion to exclude her presence like they have done in the past.

I cannot fathom how she is getting away with this.

Here is another report on her not being there :

Stauch was originally slated to be present in court on Thursday, but ultimately did not appear.

I don’t understand how Leticia keeps getting away with not showing up. I don’t understand at all.

She brutally murdered a child.

She is malingering. She is deceitful and a chronic liar.

Haul her *advertiser censored* into the courtroom and get on with this. Who cares how being in the courtroom affects her mental health? She didn’t care about Gannon. Why should she be allowed conveniences?

How many times have I said I hate this woman?

MOO

I don’t understand how Leticia keeps getting away with not showing up. I don’t understand at all.

Haul her *advertiser censored* into the courtroom and get on with this. Who cares how being in the courtroom affects her mental health? She didn’t care about Gannon. Why should she be allowed conveniences?

MOO
Part of the problem, I think, is that we don't have any basis for comparison. At least I don't. I expect that with the start of the COVID pandemic about 2 1/2 years ago, a number of defendants have appeared for motions hearings virtually or not at all but were represented by counsel. So it may not be as weird as it seems for jailed defendants to not be hauled to court these days for brief appearances. COVID has changed alot of stuff.

It was my understanding yesterday not only did WebEx fail, but since there was no report ready, nothing much could happen anyway. Once it was known to the judge nothing was going to happen (he apparently knew the report wasn't finished the day before) it likely seemed pointless to have LS dragged to court for (essentially) a non-hearing and would have inconvenienced overworked jail personnel, I'm sure.

It is frustrating the case is moving slowly but obviously the Court can't take the perspective of "who cares about her mental health, she killed Gannon" (or even just "who cares about her mental health.") And TBH, I'm not sure concern over LS's mental health is what kept the judge from issuing an order to have her hauled to court yesterday. I expect he thought it would be a pointless exercise of power. He could have done it, but why would he? I'm pretty sure he will ensure she's there for the trial and for other hearings of note prior to that! She can hide now but it's really not going to last.
JMO

MOO

That's exactly what Judge Werner said he would do and yet,here she is,not bloody appearing AGAIN. It's about time he followed through on his promise and if she won't cooperate he should have her wheeled in strapped to a cart a la hannibal lecter. Its not the flipping Lietecia show and its about time someone reminded her :mad:

That's exactly what Judge Werner said he would do and yet,here she is,not bloody appearing AGAIN. It's about time he followed through on his promise and if she won't cooperate he should have her wheeled in strapped to a cart a la hannibal lecter. Its not the flipping Lietecia show and its about time someone reminded her :mad:
But why make overworked jail personnel drag her in for what was a non-hearing? What purpose would her presence have served yesterday? (Not in general, but yesterday) And like it or not, the judge has a responsibility to ensure she gets a fair trial. Treating her like Hannibal Lecter especially for a non-hearing probably isn't the best way to do that.
JMO

I think you are right. It scares me to think they could actually get piece meal test data and random videos to share with the court. They probably have knowledge about some 'cray cray' videos that were taken and would love for the court to see how mentally unfit she is. :rolleyes:

Whereas, if they waited for the full report, it might say she was diagnosed malingering and the video was misleading.

I think you are right. It scares me to think they could actually get piece meal test data and random videos to share with the court. They probably have knowledge about some 'cray cray' videos that were taken and would love for the court to see how mentally unfit she is. :rolleyes:

Whereas, if they waited for the full report, it might say she was diagnosed malingering and the video was misleading.
I believe that’s exactly what the completed report will show-personality disorder(s) with a side of malingering. The only hope for the defense is to get a few samples of crazy Letecia released prior to the curtain coming down on her bad acting.

This has to be torture for Gannon’s family. Letecia is no doubt enjoying that aspect, too.

ITA. I refuse to believe that her Defense team is doing all they can to further these proceedings.

As far as her not being present in Court, I didn’t see any Tweets today regarding that. But now I think it was unclear to the reporters due to WebEx being down. I wonder if the Judge was trying to make her appear virtually since she refused to be in person.

Sounds like she and her Defense did not file a Motion to exclude her presence like they have done in the past.

I cannot fathom how she is getting away with this.

Here is another report on her not being there :

Stauch was originally slated to be present in court on Thursday, but ultimately did not appear.
She is just a brat.

Sorrynotsorry...

Sydnee Scofield
@SydneeScofield

In previous court appearances, her attorneys indicated that even if state doctors find her sane, they have an out-of-state expert who thinks Stauch may have had some type of dissociative disorder at the time of the crimes, meaning she couldn't have committed them "knowingly."
https://twitter.com/SydneeScofield/status/1552711698158653441/photo/1
10:44 AM · Jul 28, 2022

^^BBM

ETA: O/T -- today is reporter Scofield's last day at KRDO. Her tweets will be missed here albeit the heck she went through trying to get Twitter to respond to somebody impersonating her (twitter verified the impersonator, and suspended the real ident)!

^^rsbbm
^^rsbm

On Thursday, Judge Werner acknowledged LS's behavior, and she was not going to get away with not appearing.

However, after more info was available to the court about the missing report, the court made a decision for the convenience of the court not to transport LS to the courtroom.

There's a big difference here between LS being non-compliant and when the court makes the actual decision not to transport her.

Also, transporting inmates to court involves much more than visible to the public. For example, the EPCSO is very much aware of LS's "most hated inmate" status and must take full precautions to protect not only the inmate but also the EPCSO personnel accompanying her to court.

I would not be surprised if EPCJ has to schedule 3 personnel (versus 2) every time they move LS from her cell. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member