SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2013, Murdaugh acquired the property from Jeannine Boulware — the wife of suspected trafficker Barrett T. Boulware, who died in 2018.

The property was given to Murdaugh as collateral toward an alleged debt the Boulwares owed him. The alleged debt — nearly $1 million — was recorded as a mortgage due seven months after the transaction.

The next fall, Murdaugh and Boulware recorded a “deed in the lieu of foreclosure,” which officially turned over the property to Murdaugh.

However, the mortgage the Boulwares allegedly owed Murdaugh stayed on the records until this past September when Buster Murdaugh, who has power of attorney for his father, released Jeannine Boulware from the loan.

In addition to this, the property was acquired by Murdaugh in three transactions. The first was for $499,646 — possibly in cash.

The second transaction was for $730,000 — part of a “multi-property, non-simultaneous, tax-free exchange transaction” entered into between Boulware and Murdaugh. Typically such transactions — which are authorized by section 1031 of the U.S. internal revenue code — allow the seller to avoid capital gains taxes so long as they invest any proceeds of the sale into the purchase of other properties.

A transfer deed (.pdf) dated April 15, 2013, referenced the “exchange of like-kind replacement property” totaling $730,000 but no such property exchange has been identified.

The third transaction was for one parcel and for $70,000.

These three transactions total $1,299,646.

Murdaugh sold the property to Maggie in 2016 for $5.

I missed this.

Is that right? He got the 1700 acres and 1,299,646 dollars.

Just wondering what he did fir them.

Jmo
It sounds like investigators may think Murdaugh may have stolen it from Boulware. It’s currently under investigation.

“The request by the state agency, which investigates alleged lawyer misconduct in secret, appears to be related to the numerous investigations into allegations that Murdaugh stole millions from his clients and his former law firm.

It’s unclear, however, why the disciplinary arm subpoenaed Boulware’s records — whether it’s to scrutinize how Murdaugh became owner of his 1,770-acre hunting property, Moselle; to investigate financial crimes Murdaugh may have committed against Boulware; or for another reason.”

It sounds like investigators may think Murdaugh may have stolen it from Boulware. It’s currently under investigation.

“The request by the state agency, which investigates alleged lawyer misconduct in secret, appears to be related to the numerous investigations into allegations that Murdaugh stole millions from his clients and his former law firm.

It’s unclear, however, why the disciplinary arm subpoenaed Boulware’s records — whether it’s to scrutinize how Murdaugh became owner of his 1,770-acre hunting property, Moselle; to investigate financial crimes Murdaugh may have committed against Boulware; or for another reason.”

Thanks @MerryB

I can’t read island packet, not paying.

‘Or for another reason’

I thought she would be subpoenaed, but was unable
to say without link.

It’s as if these men put property in spouses name to keep from the wrong doings they do, meanwhile wifey thinks she’s in like flint.

Jmo

Thanks @MerryB

I can’t read island packet, not paying.

‘Or for another reason’

I thought she would be subpoenaed, but was unable
to say without link.

It’s as if these men put property in spouses name to keep from the wrong doings they do, meanwhile wifey thinks she’s in like flint.

Jmo
My theory is that Alex needed cash, and Moselle was in Maggie’s name. MOO

Is that right? He got the 1700 acres and 1,299,646 dollars.

Just wondering what he did fir them.

Jmo

You say above "the property was acquired by Murdaugh in three transactions". That means he purchased it with cash and/or traded other properties, in a deal where both sides got fair value for their assets.

However, at the same time, he recorded most of the $1.2 value of those transactions as a loan to Bulware, and put a 7 month mortgage on the property. So, in theory, Boulware could pay back the cash/properties he'd received, and get the Moselle property back.

At the end of the 7 months, Boulware did not pay back the loan, so the property became AM's.

However, AM somehow neglected to discharge the mortgage on paper. Even though he'd taken over the property in lieu of it.

So, it became necessary for Buster to 'forgive' this supposed debt. Even though, it seems to me, there was no longer any debt.

There is earlier speculation that perhaps AM kept this non-existent debt on his books, in order to borrow money on it.

In any case, I'm not seeing anything all that seedy on the Boulwares part. The $1 million 'debt' from the Bulwares was actually the $1 million that AM paid them for Moselle. It wasn't a debt, it was the purchase price.

Possibly this was to avoid the Boulwares having to pay capital gains tax when they sold the property. As well as continuing whatever shell games AM was playing to conceal his real financial position.

Just another pount, it's very common for property to be put into the wife's name, it shelters it from creditors going after the husbands assets.

JMO

South Carolina circuit court Clifton Newman has rejected a joint motion for a gag order submitted by defense attorneys and prosecutors in the double murder case of disbarred attorney Alex Murdaugh.

The order – dated August 1, 2022 – instructed both parties that efforts to suppress “pretrial publicity” were denied. That marks a major win for judicial transparency in the ongoing ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga – which as I have repeatedly noted is much bigger than just a double murder trial.

South Carolina circuit court Clifton Newman has rejected a joint motion for a gag order submitted by defense attorneys and prosecutors in the double murder case of disbarred attorney Alex Murdaugh.

The order – dated August 1, 2022 – instructed both parties that efforts to suppress “pretrial publicity” were denied. That marks a major win for judicial transparency in the ongoing ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga – which as I have repeatedly noted is much bigger than just a double murder trial.

Finally something goes right. I think we should have been concerned when both sides wanted to keep a lid on this.

I did not understand the prosecution also wanting a gag order. Maybe they are hoping to eliminate some local drama so they can find a jury, if it ever comes to that.

I read tabloids, j depp case released info that aas banded/ not allowed at trial.

So I can see that they want a gag order, trying to keep some things out.

Jmo

Judge Newman's comments during the bond/arraignment -- skeptical about gag order motion.

July 20, 2022

WALTERBORO - Alex Murdaugh's defense attorneys on July 20 pushed a judge for a speedy trial on charges accusing the disbarred lawyer of fatally shooting his wife and son. They also announced an agreement with state prosecutors to seek a gag order limiting public information on the high-profile case until that trial begins.

Columbia lawyer Dick Harpootlian asked Circuit Judge Clifton Newman for a trial by November, saying his client wants to clear his name so state police can find Maggie and Paul Murdaugh's real "killer or killers."

[..]

Both Waters and Harpootlian repeatedly expressed their desire to limit leaks about the case and try the case before a Colleton County jury - not the media.

[..]

Prosecutors and Murdaugh's defense attorneys huddled for some 15 minutes before the bond hearing began. When Newman arrived, the lawyers disclosed they had agreed to request a gag order and to seal any pre-trial motions discussing evidence.

Harpootlian said he would officially submit the request to Newman in the coming days.

Yet the judge seemed skeptical.

"It's a public matter and a public trial, and certainly matters that need to be sealed can be sealed to preserve the rights of all parties," Newman said. "The court understands that, but at the same time, wants to make it clear we will not have any private motion - public matters will be public."

Pete Strom, a Columbia lawyer and former U.S. attorney for South Carolina from 1993-96, said such gag orders are typically used to ensure jurors don't read or hear about potential evidence that isn't introduced and vetted in the courtroom. Pre-trial stories can limit the pool of eligible jurors in a given county who haven't yet made up their minds about a case, Strom said. They also can taint a jury pool, which would warrant a request for a retrial, he said.

"Nobody wants to go through the time and expense of trying this case multiple times," Strom said.

The 2021 slayings came as the Murdaugh family faced another crisis.

At the time of his death, Paul Murdaugh was headed toward trial in a wrongful death lawsuit that blamed the then-underage boy of drunkenly driving a boat into a Beaufort County bridge piling, ejecting all six passengers and killing 19-year-old Mallory Beach.

An attorney for the Beach family was seeking access to Alex Murdaugh's financial records, disclosures that could have revealed his hefty debts and drawn attention to his money-shifting practices.

But a hearing on those financial records, scheduled for mid-June 2021, was canceled after Paul Murdaugh's death.

The poster that deemed Facebook…”Fakebook’ was SO right. But yet, in a situation like thus, it is an insight into how an individual chose to market themselves. MM had her FB set to public view so her posts tell the story that she wanted in the public domain. After all, she and only she…was the ‘editor’ and the content supervisor of her own account.
@Oakie

I saw it not long after it appeared and decided not to, she didn’t pass the truth test for me.

Jmo

Agreed.

the joint motion surprised me.... but i guess it really didn't; given the corruption we have already witnessed. thank you Judge Newman for the rejection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member