Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying my best to find more information about the water temperature to better understand this. Hoping someone(s) with more knowledge can clue me in!

The chart in the SS in question shows that the water temp was around 80* on the 6th, but doesn't show the water temp for the date Kiely was recovered. (I've been unable to find this exact graph/information online). On AWP's video, their sonar equipment is showing that the temperature is 72*- not sure if that is water or air temp. When looking at the average temperatures for Truckee in August/the actual highs and lows for last month (High- high 80s/low 90s, Low- mid 30s-40s), it is hard for me to believe that the water temperature could actually be 80*. Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the right direction to any information or graphs that show the historical water temperature by date? Thank you so much!
Doug from AWP confirmed on the latest episode of DutyRon on YouTube that the water temp was 80° when she was recovered.

Is this a piece of glass that you're talking about?

I'm on a computer and ran it through a free program that fixes color for portraits. View attachment 364792
No, I was actually referring to the plastic at the bottom of the passenger side view mirror being broken away, although that does look somewhat like glass broken out. I tried looking closely at the passenger window on the AWP video in .25x speed and the main thing I noticed was the chunk of plastic knocked out on the underside of the side view mirror where the hinge is located.

Good catch @MomMommyMom2! I don't think there's straps though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for trailer hitches for the 2013 CRV. I did a quick search and think I may have found the exact model on Kiely's vehicle. The stickers match up with the image of what you circled.

2013 Honda CRV Trailer Hitch
Yup, perfect match. Just a hitch... even has the stray metal pieces I thought was a strap. I suggest this is a closed item. :)

To me that just looks like a regular hitch with the pin in and the plastic cap. I used the upside down video you shared to clip a few more screenshots here of the broken underside of the mirror I was referring to earlier. I wonder if her vehicle had this damage prior to the incident or not. If not it would be interesting if the police could figure out if she hit something with the side mirror. It is a strange spot to have the plastic damaged.
I am really trying hard to see what you're seeing re: passenger window, but can't yet. Can you use an arrow to point it out?

I know the general/popular consensus is that she swam towards the back to follow the air bubble as the car sank...but if the back windows were open wouldn't the water rushing in back there scare her from moving backwards through the car as well? If front and back windows were open and water was rushing in the back windows as well I don't understand why she would climb towards the back

I know the general/popular consensus is that she swam towards the back to follow the air bubble as the car sank...but if the back windows were open wouldn't the water rushing in back there scare her from moving backwards through the car as well? If front and back windows were open and water was rushing in the back windows as well I don't understand why she would climb towards the back
Because the front end of the car was sinking.

JMO

Because the front end of the car was sinking.

JMO
But if the front end was sinking and water was rushing in the back wouldn't that mean she'd have to fight against a current to get to the back? She'd have water rushing in the front pulling down and water rushingnin the back windows pushing down

Hope you're right, but IDK. If water got into the lungs from being submerged in the water for two weeks, but she didn't drown, can the coroner tell? Also, would submersion in water, and time, affect the toxicology results? And, if the car can be accidentally knocked or kicked into neutral, if the car was in neutral, then how do we decide it was or was not put in neutral to roll the car into the water? Lastly, if the tow service video proves not to be Kiely or anyone connected to her? I hope we are not left with more questions.
Don't quote me on this because I am no expert, but I am pretty sure there are other ways to tell aside from water. I believe that the vessels start to explode, or the alveoli whatever they're called get damaged or something to that effect when they can't get air. Maybe someone with a degree in biology or something can chime in to explain

Quoting my own previous post in response to your question and attaching some diagrams I made up quick.

Some factors that come into play with how water would enter the vehicle:
- whether the Driver-Side Rear (D-R) window was rolled down before or after the vehicle entered the water
- when the Passenger-Side Front (P-F) window was broken before or after the vehicle entered the water

I think most of us are assuming the D-R window was already rolled down, but it is possible that, in scrambling to try to roll the nearest [Driver-Side Front] window down before sinking, someone could accidentally hit the button for the rear window instead.

As for when the P-F window broke, I see a few possibilities:
1. In an unrelated incident or collision before entering the water (I see this as unlikely, considering the lack of other damage to the vehicle)
2. Accidentally, in the process of entering the water (Maybe if it was impacted on that corner of the roof just right when it landed on the bottom?)
3. Intentionally by someone trying to escape after the vehicle entered the water

Either way, though, the nose of the vehicle is going to be pointed downward in the water due to the engine's weight, so water from either window will trickle downward toward the front of the vehicle as it enters. IF it was only entering from one side (through D-R), that imbalance may have contributed to the vehicle barrel-rolling onto its roof ("turtling") as it descended.

IMO, MOO

Since there seems to be some confusion about the windows, here's some more screen shots from the AWP video

DRIVER-SIDE (LEFT) FRONT* - video at 36:07-36:52
Closed and unbroken (sticker in bottom corner, light reflections and residue visible on glass)

DRIVER-SIDE (LEFT) REAR - video at 36:52-37:02 and 37:06-37:24 and 38:14-38:24
Partway open; diver states "I can see a pair of shoes in the back" and "rear driver's side window is halfway down"

PASSENGER-SIDE (RIGHT) REAR - video at 37:40-37:50
[Appears to be] Closed and unbroken (see photo comparing to front window); diver states "I have just confirmed there are human remains in the vehicle"

PASSENGER-SIDE (RIGHT) FRONT - video at 37:55-38:14
Broken; TRULY can, phone charger, and other items visible; diver states "Passenger window is broken out"

*The driver-side (left) front window may have been broken by LE during the vehicle's retrieval, as it does appear to have broken glass in the video/stills from that time (video at 42:25-44:00). The driver-side side mirror also appears to be intact during AWP's video (see 36:45), though it is broken at retrieval as well, which leads me to believe that LE rolled the vehicle onto the driver's side prior to retrieval.

Attachments

• KRwater.png
    KRwater.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 30
  • KRwindows.png
    KRwindows.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 28
That's why I asking. I ran the image through a program to "clean" up, so I also put the original beside it to compare.

There is something there that does not appear typical to the undercarriage of a CRV.

EDITED: Oh, you're asking about the yellow FONT? I'm not sure why it would be white for you and yellow for me, but it is. I do have CC on, would that factor in? I just replayed the video to check and it is yellow in the places where Diver Nick is under water. A random part to demonstrate: View attachment 364796
The vid was playing yellow for me as well, but ONLY when the diver was underwater. I didn't have CC on when I originally watched the vid, yet it showed yellow when the diver was talking, even though I didn't have CC on. This is what it looks like when I have CC on and the diver is not underwater (white font on black background). Oddly, the font is still yellow, with no background, when the diver is talking underwater and CC is turned on. If AWP added the underwater subtitles, you'd think youtube's CC feature would write over it since it was turned on, yet it doesn't.

1662572309163.png

Did we ever establish whether the front passenger window was or might have been open when she entered the water?

It was such an uncontrolled, dynamic, evolving, devolving situation, a tumultuous cascade. A moment to realize she was in the water, another moment to realize the car was sinking... and then shifting, lolling onto a side, rolling over at some point.

In how-to videos, with closed windows, the actors stay seatbelted until the car turtles, having expected it. They take in the last breaths of available air before the car fills completely, open the doors and swim to safety.

In contrast, IMO, Kiely is caught well off guard. By the time she unbuckles herself, the car could be dipping toward the front, favoring the passenger side. She may head to the middle to exit there but now water is coming in from the side, right or left or each. She's trying to make sense of what's happening, moving to higher ground-- like people do on land when there's flooding or in skyscrapers that are on fire, hoping there will be rooftop rescue.

The vehicle flipped. At that point she can't possibly see much of anything, is feeling her way. She could even have been caught on something. Elsewise she's trying to find the hatch latch, after being spun, on a door that won't open.

There was no youtube video to tell her to wait in the front seat. And no guarantee she'd have time enough from there either.

Wholly unforgiving reservoir.

JMO

Just to clarify, only one back window was partially open: the rear driver's.

The other window that was open/out was the front passenger.

Did we ever establish whether the front passenger window was or might have been open when she entered the water?

(Snipped to reply)

We have not. No one knows or is saying.

A poster earlier today seems to have found a place where a bit of glass may be visible in the window.

Also, we have the strong possibility her vehicle entered the water with the rear as the point of entry, based on what AWP said about the direction her vehicle was found, and the video.

All so confusing.

Even if the back of the vehicle went in first, the front would still dip first.

Maybe one day AWP will release a video on what occurs to a vehicle in these parameters.

IMO it didn't just turtle. It turtled and rolled.

In water but I have to wonder how abrupt was the landing, again the reservoir floor?

IMO it sank fast.

I don't know that it was survivable.

JMO

So is AWP just going to stay silent after throwing a live grenade into the discussion?

Outside of money and clicks, I don’t see why they won’t release the rest of the interview. The entire thing seems tacky and like a money grab to keep themselves in the headlines.

Just to clarify, only one back window was partially open: the rear driver's.

The other window that was open/out was the front passenger.
So.i feel like if rear driver and front passenger than it would create a rush of water sort of blocking you in the driver's seat...imagine sitting on the seat and water rushing at you front the side and the back I don't know if instinct would make you rush towards the running water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz