Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal experts say under the North Carolina Juvenile Justice Act, details surrounding the case may be limited.

"The juvenile protections will be available to this individual until there is a court determination that they should be prosecuted as an adult.

But that's an exception to the statute that allows for prompt movement. So initially, there is just a level of confidentiality, that's going to apply," explained North Carolina Central University Law Professor Irving Joyner who has been following the case.

"There has been information provided to law enforcement that quickly led to the identification of this suspect. And then the decision by law enforcement to arrest a particular individual. So that means that there was, you know, a strong trail that was there that led to that person."

No doubt he's eventually going to be charged as an adult -- this is only a technicality due to a law change with juveniles. This law is also helping LE not release any details about this case while they hunt the suspect down. MOO
Do you think they should’ve made his charging public prior to apprehending him? Is that protocol? I can’t help but think they wouldn’t have needed to do much hunting for a 17 year old had they kept the charge private. /JMO

General questions for locals/familiar with that area: how typical is it to hear gunshots at night? DW remembers it happening, but didn't report it (at first)? Does 1 a.m. or after 3 a.m. make a difference? IMO any automatic (or semi-auto, perhaps) fire would be alarming.

Also - very speculative - maybe the neighbors saw the car when reviewing security camera footage? Maybe that's why they know it was 3 a.m.?

Probably not usual to hear gun shots that time of night, but also not unusual.

I live in the city and unfortunately some people still like to celebrate by shooting up in the air so I know they do it in more rural areas. We also have coyotes and other predators and if I would’ve have lived in the city, my neighbors would have heard gun shots at 3 am when raccoons broke into my chicken coop.

Automatic vs semi-auto? I would tend to think it was a semi-auto rather than an automatic because of the strict LEGAL regulations, but an auto could be acquired if you know the right people and have enough money.

Legal experts say under the North Carolina Juvenile Justice Act, details surrounding the case may be limited.

"The juvenile protections will be available to this individual until there is a court determination that they should be prosecuted as an adult.

But that's an exception to the statute that allows for prompt movement. So initially, there is just a level of confidentiality, that's going to apply," explained North Carolina Central University Law Professor Irving Joyner who has been following the case.

"There has been information provided to law enforcement that quickly led to the identification of this suspect. And then the decision by law enforcement to arrest a particular individual. So that means that there was, you know, a strong trail that was there that led to that person."
Since the charge is first-degree, this would indicate LE believes the act was premeditated (and has evidence and probable motive) that the sole intent on "meeting" the victims was to murder them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the charge is first-degree, this would indicate LE believes the act was premeditated (and has evidence and probable motive) that the sole intent on "meeting" the victims was to murder them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Premeditation doesn’t have to be planned far in advance. The fact that they were driven to that easement road (if they believe the intent was to shoot them) could be enough for premeditatio, even if that was not the intent when they were picked up.

I believe that’s why one reason Brian Laundry was charged with first degree because of the manner in which she was killed, because of the length of time it takes to strangle someone, and he had time to stop.

There are much more qualified people in here than I, so please correct me and I will learn something.

IMO
MOO

They charged this person because they have a trail of evidence not disclosed to us to do so.

dbm -- wrong state​

Last edited:
They charged this person because they have a trail of evidence not disclosed to us to do so.

Murder in Georgia​

Murder is the most severe homicide crime. While many states divide murder into degrees, Georgia law only recognizes one degree of murder. Any murder in Georgia carries a minimum sentence of life in prison. More severe penalties include life without parole or death. A person commits murder in Georgia when he or she illegally kills another person under any of several circumstances:

• The person acted intending to kill another.
  • The person acted with depraved disregard for human life. For example, firing a gun into a house or vehicle the person knows to be occupied.
  • The person kills another while committing a felony such as robbery. In this case, the killing need not be intentional.
Thanks for the insight...these murders occurred in North Carolina, however, correct?

I did find these 2 links that differentiate first and second degree murder in NC, and this follows in several other states as well.

Thanks for the insight...these murders occurred in North Carolina, however, correct?

I did find these 2 links that differentiate first and second degree murder in NC, and this follows in several other states as well.

Thanks, @GMS. Where's my coffee?!!

Question — we know the suspect is 17 and has technically been charged accordingly but for some reason has yet to be apprehended… IF the suspect were to turn 18 just prior to LE apprehending him could LE re-charge him as an adult? If so, could that maybe be the reason for the delay in arresting him? Or would turning 18 before the arrest not factor into the way he gets charged since he committed the crime at 17?
no. he would be charged his age at the time of the crime. he could be charged as adult though.

General questions for locals/familiar with that area: how typical is it to hear gunshots at night? DW remembers it happening, but didn't report it (at first)? Does 1 a.m. or after 3 a.m. make a difference? IMO any automatic (or semi-auto, perhaps) fire would be alarming.

Also - very speculative - maybe the neighbors saw the car when reviewing security camera footage? Maybe that's why they know it was 3 a.m.?
It's JUST common enough that most people wouldn't think much of it. I'd think someone was scaring off an animal. Now if it's automatic, and super close to my house....I might think twice and be more worried.
I teach in one of these counties....so sad for both families

So we are headed into the weekend with no information on the fugitive yet? If I lived around that area, I’d be pretty alarmed and frustrated with the situation. For all I know, there’s an armed and dangerous murderer on the run and police won’t indicate who or where or what?

Hopefully police at least updated the families somewhat? They are having to carry out funerals with the perpetrator still at large.

Last edited:
Read between the lines -- no threat to the public --this was a target kill. US Marshal will find him. MOO

https://twitter.com/audpants
Audrey Conklin
@audpants

"The suspect has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder. While that obviously speaks for itself, this was not a random act," a sheriff's office spokesperson said when asked if there remains a threat to the public.

1:51 PM · Sep 21, 2022·

Last edited:
Beautiful kids are gone forever. Listen up teens -- it's true -- nothing good ever happens after midnight. Don't borrow trouble! MOO

https://twitter.com/audpants
Audrey Conklin
@audpants

The families of #DevinClark and #LyricWoods are preparing to say their final goodbyes to the two teens shot last weekend in Mebane, NC. Suspect is not yet in custody.

foxnews.com
North Carolina double murder: Families of Devin Clark, Lyric Woods to say final goodbyes
Lyric Woods' and Devin Clark's families are preparing to say their final goodbyes to the teenagers who were found dead on Sept. 17. A juvenile suspect has yet to be arrested.

6:44 AM · Sep 23, 2022·

Lyric Woods

Unless an interior light was on, and the car was not moving, I cannot imagine anyone was really able to identify someone inside a car at 3am. If it was near where the bodies were found, I am pretty sure there are no streetlights, but I do suppose there was still substantial moonlight. I wonder if the car was recognized moreso than Lyric was, and after hearing the news, the neighbor then placed Lyric in the car as a logical inference. JMO

I think this is a play on words. The first report I read stated a neighbor saw LW getting into a vehicle at 3 AM which was corroborated by the K9 search on Saturday where dog handlers used LW's pillowslip and the family confirmed the K9 trail ended with AW likely leaving via a vehicle. They also know she left through an unlocked back door sometime after 11 PM when she was last seen by her stepdad after her shower.

A witness near the location where the victims bodies were recovered also heard gunshots.

David White lives just feet from where the two friends were found dead with gunshot wounds. He says he heard about 20 gunshots Friday night. “I heard about close to 10 shots going off, like an automatic gun, and then, a pause for a little bit and five more shots went off,” he said.

Missing high schoolers found dead with gunshot wounds on NC trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member