ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about BTK while reading this. Can't believe that hadn't occurred to me sooner - that it could be someone who looked for and found a target, and took advantage.

Good point. I wasn't thinking of BTK, but yeah, Golden State killer, too, with an homage to Ted Bundy thrown in. BAU x 2 called in so early...

<modsnip>

Couple of questions I’d like to know the answer to -
How did Kaylee’s sister get hold of the neighbours ring camera footage & does LE have that now?
Why was only one of the 4 x cars parked in front of the residence searched?

Lastly, MOO, the killer did not take the time to lock doors behind him, he’s just stabbed 4 x people to death, I believe it would be highly unlikely whether wearing gloves or not, that he stopped to lock doors on the way out & I believe he left that sliding kitchen door open on his way out.
If he didn't lock the door, then how do you explain the surviving roommates describing them as "unconscious". There is no possible way if they had visual contact with any of the victims that they would have thought they were just unconscious. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the red stains on the outside wall being blood or heating oil. A poster replied that the home did not use heating oil, but I don't recall that this information was verified. The following website shows that less than 2% of houses in Idaho use heating oil. Heating oil is not common in the west, but it is available. I just don't know that much about it. My question: I assume that heating oil is delivered to a property and stored in a tank similar to propane. Is this correct? If so, wouldn't a heating oil tank be visible in some of the photos of the exterior of the home?

I’ve responded to this before: it’s not used in this town or even any of the surrounding towns AFAIK.

In town, it’s electric, natural gas, maybe some use wood. On campus, there’s a steam plant.

Outside town where there are no gas lines, propane is common, so are electric & wood.

HTH

Just piping in to say the coroner Cathy Mabbutt said on the Ashleigh Banfield podcast from Nov 17, when asked if that was blood on the exterior wall from the crime scene that yes it was based on her observations. Then Banfield asked if it was consistent with coming from a victim bedroom and the coroner said yes. It was in the last 10 or so minutes of the podcast.
That podcast with the coroner has been pulled -- although the title has not changed, it was replaced and/or limited to the midterm election results.

Last edited:

I don’t think the Wi-Fi router question was answered because I don’t think Chief Fry understood it - MOO......
This. That is what I saw. This does not mean that someone isn't looking into it, though. And if they weren't they should be now. But if the killer has an ounce of brain, they would not have carried anything with them. No phone, no apple watch, nothing.

There is, however, a large subset of not only Gen z but all gens, who have zero idea exactly how much your apps on your electronics tell companies about you. Where you are, where you were, what you were looking at, what app you used next, what types of credit cards you use, what different apps you have, was there a bluetooth access point open that your autoscan tried to connect to, it goes on. People give all kinds of permissions when they install apps. The killer could have been foolish enough to carry a connectable electronic. Depending on what it connected to, there are a lot of breadcrumbs that could be found.

Yes! It's suprising that with all the friends at the crime scene, we haven't heard a word from anyone about what they saw. It seems 'mum's the word'.
I am wondering if this speaks to the unreleased reason why LE believes this was a targeted attack. We have heard it eluded to how gruesome and horrific the crime scene was overall. However, it may be that one or more "target" victim(s) demonstrated what appears to be a more personal attack and that area of the house demonstrates a more gruesome "overkill" picture than the other area. If these friends saw the "non-targeted" victim or victims and the scene was less chaotic it is possible this is what led them to think they were dealing with something more along the lines of the reported "unconscious" person or a friend/roommate that was injured and unresponsive after a night of partying...JMO of course.

I'm not well versed when it comes to American True Crime, so I apologize if this question is misguided or the answer obvious:

Can anyone think of a similarly high profile homicide case in which the person or people eventually charged were initially cleared by law enforcement?

I don't mean to speculate about those who LE have cleared in this case, but there has been a lot of discussion regarding who has been explicitly cleared, who hasn't, and the potential reasons for that. Is there any reason (based on prior cases) to believe that LE may have publicly "cleared" a suspect while privately surveilling them?

Again, this question isn't motivated by personal suspicion of anyone cleared in this case. Such a tactic just seems potentially valuable but might come at the cost of public trust, which is (or should be) immensely valuable to law enforcement in the long term and perhaps even in solving this case.

Maybe it's too simplistic to assume that whoever was capable of this would let their guard down at all before a suspect is named, even if "cleared" by LE.
I don't believe they have truly "cleared" or "ruled out" anyone at this point in time. LE have just stated "do not believe".

My initial theory was that there were multiple assailan

I can’t agree more, if this interview is for real, then I hope LE has another hard look at this guy. Is he in the Grub Truckers video, I wonder?
Since its the DM, it's definitely possible a lot of the interview is exaggerated or taken out of context. But it reads as if he was watching them at the bar and then ended up at the food truck with them at the same exact time, where he then proceeded to insert himself into their interactions with other people he also didn't know? Also he was hanging out at a bar 100% sober until well after 1am? Again JMO but he's the type of guy that sends girls' creep-o-meters up. Based on what the article quotes as his words, it shows some red flag behaviors. I'd imagine the LE would definitely be taking atleast a quick second look at him,

There is an updated blueprint from the landlord. The numbers on the blueprint correlates with the photos of every room in the house. See attached files.
Link to Landlord's photos are below:

Amazing. Thanks!

There is an updated blueprint from the landlord. The numbers on the blueprint correlates with the photos of every room in the house. See attached files.

I should also say, I feel bad for the land lord. I mean, who's going to want to rent out that place after this?

Is it the camera angle or just me, but do the inside doors look extra wide in that place?

No, Ethan's parents said they were both found in the same room.

Not really. The parents said they were in the same room, not they were found in the same room. The implication here is that she was killed because they were in the same room, and had she been in a separate room with a locked door she might not have been killed.

This is my interpretation of what they said. Not that they were found deceased in the same room, though it might be that way, but that they shared the room so if one was attacked, it made sense the other would be.

That podcast with the coroner has been pulled -- although the title has not changed, it was replaced with the midterm election results.
Do you have the link? I listened to the podcast in question & the Moscow murderers were quite a bit in, after all the midterm election results.

If that segment of the episode has been deleted/censored, that would be … interesting, moo

The murders occurred in the early AM on November 13. Why weren’t autopsies done until 4 days later, November 17? Why the delay? Has this already been discussed here? So strange!! MOO
This Idaho County has never conducted autopsies. The corner in Moscow is an elected position where the candidate is not required to be an MD because they contract this work to the ME located in Spokane, WA. Here, the coroner is authorized to request an autopsy but does not conduct the autopsy (Idaho Code, Title 19, Chapter 43, Section 194301B). The current coroner (Cathy Mabbutt) is an RN. The autopsy was conducted on Nov 16, not 17, and the coroner released a statement about the deaths on Nov 17.

The autopsies for Madison Mogen, 21, Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Ethan Chapin, 20, were completed Nov. 16, Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said.

In an interview with NBC News Nov. 17, Mabbutt said the autopsy gave a clearer picture of what time the four were killed, their “extensive” wounds, and what the murder weapon was.

"It would have been early in the morning, sometime after 2 a.m., but still during the night," Mabbutt said, adding that there wasn't a medical way to determine who was attacked first, but investigators are "trying to put timelines together with other text messages and other technology."

She said that the murder weapon "would have been a bigger knife" to be consistent with their "pretty extensive" wounds.

Okay. There were 6 people in the house. It feels incredibly risky to go into a house with that number of people in it with the risk of someone screaming , locking their door and dialing 911, or just generally being overpowered. Does this lead anyone to think this was more than 1 individual? Even if the killer didn’t know that there were 6 people , it seems that there were many cars parked outside which would indicate at least more than 1-2.
Just maybe the perp(s) is more experienced in people handling, maybe a military background, law enforcement possibly and older than the victims and is confident they can handle the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419