ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this link, the first image shows stab wound made by k bar knife; the red mark next to the wound is the hilt mark left by the knife's hilt which is effectively a bar across the blade dividing blade from the handle. The blade, hilt, handle a made from one piece of steel, as opposite of parts being assembled together. That is why k bar knife is considered to be robust and powerful weapon

yes, the knife type seems to be one of the first specific leads that LE got - based on autopsy findings.

would be great if he also cut himself and dripped blood, for example mistakenly cut himself on the other hand or arm during the attacks but I also wonder if someone this prepared and committed also decided to wear cut-resistant utility gloves or even the arm sleeves you can wear under clothing ( Traders tool suppliers sell all of these and they are not expensive)

I really hope he messed-up and left his blood on or close to the victims

if not....

what do people think about finger scrapings potential here? terrified or barely awake victims still under influence of alcohol might find it harder to scratch the perp, especially if the attacks were rapid?

Digital Vehicle Forensics
“investigators can gather data such as recent destinations, typical routes, personal data, and favorite locations”
If you want a great perspective on what vehicle digital forensics can do, take a dive into the Suzanne Morphew case. In addition to gps and location data newer vehicles can provide ignition on off, doors opening and closing, backing up with distance , amount of time stopped at a location etc.

With discovery of 6th person, will the whole DNA elimination process have to be rerun at least on some level or not?
Now that is a good question I don't know the answer to.

My opinion is that police already knew about this person, but that they had to release it because someone got a hold of lease information or records and were going to "bombshell" it as breaking news and the killer and the police wanted to avoid that. but who knows!

I think it’s possible that X and E, since we don’t know their timeline for the evening.. brought someone back to the house to sleep in the 6th roommates bed / room as it was available. This explains why there was no forced entry and the killer would have then known the layout of the house before the lights went off and everyone went to sleep. It’s also why they didn’t know about the girls downstairs who were likely already asleep but knew about the two upstairs who returned later.

A Ka-Bar is a single edged knife, sometimes partially serrated sometimes not but it does have a distinct cross guard that a military person might instantly notice the impression of around a stab wound

A dead body doesn't bruise, not in the way we would expect - I think victims dad mistook livor mortis for bruising. However, that doesn't discount the above theory.

An empty bedroom is an extremely tenuous thread to try to pull a suspect for violent mass murder out by.

I've come up with a lot of theories. Why this? Why that? I just keep coming back to LE must believe they know who the killer is. They just have to prove it. By now they should have the exact width and length of the knife. Not one update for help on that. Not one picture of a "person of interest". Are they waiting for all the DNA evidence to come in. JMOO

Also... once LE has a POI and search warrants, even if the POI left his/her phone behind, his changes in data usage will likely reflect anomaly. Patterns of behavior.

JMO
Do you think this is true even in the middle of the night when most people are sleeping?

I think it’s possible that X and E, since we don’t know their timeline for the evening.. brought someone back to the house to sleep in the 6th roommates bed / room as it was available. This explains why there was no forced entry and the killer would have then known the layout of the house before the lights went off and everyone went to sleep. It’s also why they didn’t know about the girls downstairs who were likely already asleep but knew about the two upstairs who returned later.
this is a really great theory.... one that I don't think I've heard before

Regarding the 6th roommate... I know we can't resist speculating but I'm just thankful she wasn't there. There could have been even more victims. :(
Or less. The 6th person could have been the target, the others were the collateral damage as the perpetrator couldn't find the target. Or the 6th person could be the one who was somehow feeling rejected by other 5 girls and someone decided to help her sorting the things out on her behalf and carry out the punishment. What I would like to hear from LE is not where 6th person has not been but where they were and how their apparent existence will influence the investigation.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find Steve’s interview from yesterday? What network was it on? Thank you!

With discovery of 6th person, will the whole DNA elimination process have to be rerun at least on some level or not?

There might be lots of DNAs in the house. Finding of any specific "DNA" means the area where it was found has to be tied to murders. The 6the person would not change anything. However, we don't know if DNA was found in this case.

Former Asst Director FBI ' I think the most important evidence here will be blood'

' untangling' the profiles in DNA blood, especially when victims in the same bed

and it's 'a forensic nightmare' - re the other trace evidence ( hence his comments on blood being important to the investigation)

at 1minute here:

From everything I’ve read And watched on TV, The House Was A party spot for College Students 4 or 5 days a week sometimes, And I Will try and say this As nice As I can, from what I have seen Not much in the way of cleaning, They we’re college kids So That’s understandable! My point being It’s not surprising LE is stumped right now, my first inclination was When LE first went into the house whith All the blood evidence They prob felt confident That they Would find DNA, And They prob will If They Haven’t Already But because It Was A sort of party house And seemed unkept at times, It Might take awhile to sort thru All the DNA found And eliminate the friends , guest, friends of friends That were at the house In the previous days, im not sure how long DNA stays on countertops walls etc.. I can only imagine it’s very complicated not to mention contaminated, One last thing, LE needs to Designate on person To dish out information To the Press , I’ve noticed The FBI has been quiet , I’ts my guess They unlike MPD deal with this on A regular basis And Know what And What not To Say, A small police dept doesn’t deal with something like This Maybe Once In A lifetime… I Thought We Would Have A Suspect(s) by now, And Maybe They Do, but It’s looking more And more like this could take awhile, Still think DNA will be the eventual key And Or An online troll who Becames obsessed with someone…JMO

tiny helpful bit from this new interview, imo

at around 4 mins into the clip, the nationally renowned expert on knives points out that
- K Bars would not be a hunter's preferred tool ( recall all the news on the knife implying that K Bar meant perp might be a hunter?)
- he used to use his own K Bar for knife-throwing ( recall the link about knife & axe throwing night at the club in Moscow? Not Corner Club, other club)

eta @Hexe and @TheBorez your question about slippage is also answered in the same clip ( check the hilt)

Good info, but I fear that in the early days of this case, the "Ka-Bar" misnomer was thrown about all too frequently by inexperienced media members, inferring themselves that the weapon was in fact a Ka-Bar.
PD is essentially saying that the likely murder weapon was a fixed-blade knife, which a Ka-Bar qualifies as, but not all fixed-blade knives qualify as Ka-Bars.

Ka-Bars can be used for hunting, and frankly, hunters are a diverse group of people; anyone with any sort of military/tactical leanings/backgrounds may be even more inclined to use a Ka-Bar for hunting.

Sorry, I didn't view the whole video, but how did this individual infer that the assailant used their weapon for knife-throwing?

I've come up with a lot of theories. Why this? Why that? I just keep coming back to LE must believe they know who the killer is. They just have to prove it. By now they should have the exact width and length of the knife. Not one update for help on that. Not one picture of a "person of interest". Are they waiting for all the DNA evidence to come in. JMOO
Considering how ruthlessly innocent people are hounded by other people on the internet, I suspect that Law Enforcement will not be naming and shaming people. They will probably do all due diligence, develop the evidence necessary for a correct and lawful arrest, and then execute the arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA